• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, did you want an Animal House ending detailing every detail of their lives? We don't really know where anyone went after the show and that's fine. You could go on forever but I like the clean ending.
Think of my constantly thinking about the characters as a compliment to them. For the most part the show didn't give us characters we hated. They under utilized them yes, but for the most part the skeleton of the characters are pretty good, with each of them having a pretty good scene or two showcasing why we most likely like them and where there characters are strongest, minus Bolin, half the time they didn't know what to do with the guy, but he was the best used this season. Sometimes you just go over stuff in your head and hash things out mentally about certain things. Sometimes there's just nothing wrong with giving something a good "think" you wind up just having questions for things most people don't give a shit about.
I think I'm okay not knowing...I'm tired of too much wrap up on things. We never saw what happened with most of the ATLA cast either...and that's okay, because whatever ending they write...it's going to take up screen time, and probably be pretty much what you imagine.

Besides, as we've seen with ATLA becoming LOK....there's no real end....no real lasting peace...there's no point where the Avatar is no longer needed. Wherever you stop there's something around the corner just waiting to unfold unspeakable evil.
Some people are, some people aren't. It's not an insult. I do wish they do a Korra comic and start diving into stuff. Would be pretty funny if they had Kuvira and Zaheer in the same cell and they ended up breaking each other out.

Besides, as we've seen with ATLA becoming LOK....there's no real end....no real lasting peace...there's no point where the Avatar is no longer needed. Wherever you stop there's something around the corner just waiting to unfold unspeakable evil.
Imagine an animated movie set 10 years after the end of Korra.

The Legend of Korra: The Wrath of Meelo.

Imagine an animated movie set 10 years after the end of Korra.

The Legend of Korra: The Wrath of Meelo.
Or something that calls for Korra to work with Kuvira and Zaheer. It's just one of those endless possibilities things. Though I would imagine after her psych session with Zaheer she'd visit Kuvira a bit in prison...I would hope somebody would, but that's just me. If anybody has seen Angel even Faith got the occasional prison visit.

Hamlet

Some people are, some people aren't. It's not an insult. I do wish they do a Korra comic and start diving into stuff. Would be pretty funny if they had Kuvira and Zaheer in the same cell and they ended up breaking each other out.

Comics would be nice. Though there may be some issues on how they'll do them if Nick is still in the don't confirm Korrasami stage or not.
Ha I don't think Zaheer will be attempting to help Kuvira any time soon given what she stands for. Should put Baatar and Kuvira in two cells next to each other to see how awkward it gets. Unless Suyin decides Baatar doesn't need punishment or something.

Pilgrimzero

Personally I think a new Avatar series set in the far future would be interesting. Think Shadowrun.

Or a modern day tale. The Avatar in high school etc. Though then we might be getting to close to actual anime...

Toa TAK

Banned
Comics would be nice. Though there may be some issues on how they'll do them if Nick is still in the don't confirm Korrasami stage or not.
Ha I don't think Zaheer will be attempting to help Kuvira any time soon given what she stands for. Should put Baatar and Kuvira in two cells next to each other to see how awkward it gets. Unless Suyin decides Baatar doesn't need punishment or something.
Su is his momma, he's not going to prison.

MrChom

No, no.....I'm thinking Kuvira's in a middle cell. One side Zaheer....the other Azula.

No way that woman's dead...she's too awesome to die.

Hamlet

Su is his momma, he's not going to prison.

Boo, I know she's done stuff like this before such as Varrick. But Baatar deserves to take his share of the punishment or at least punished in some way.. As he was second in command so it's not like he can claim ignorance over what Kuvira was doing.
And boy did Kuvira do some messed up stuff. Such as the Re education centers and rounding up people of non Earth Kingdom origin into work camps.

No, no.....I'm thinking Kuvira's in a middle cell. One side Zaheer....the other Azula.

No way that woman's dead...she's too awesome to die.
That would be one hilarious ass conversation. I can so see Azula liking Kuvira and them getting tired of the Laghima quotes.
"The wise airbending Guru Laghima once said that prison is it's own form of freedom. With your body bound you can freely unchain your mind."
"Zaheer! Shut the fuck up!" *said in unison*

Violet_0

Banned
Personally I think a new Avatar series set in the far future would be interesting. Think Shadowrun.

Or a modern day tale. The Avatar in high school etc. Though then we might be getting to close to actual anime...

pre-Avatar Yangchen era please. Or Avatar Roku in his young years. Or show us what happened during the 100 years war while Aang was frozen, from the perspective of a non-Avatar main character. And make the characters younger again and get rid of romances forever

pre-Avatar Yangchen era please. Or Avatar Roku in his young years. Or show us what happened during the 100 years war while Aang was frozen, from the perspective of a non-Avatar main character. And make the characters younger again and get rid of romances forever
Or a Avatar Kyoshi show where she just stomps around dispensing justice and training the Dai Li.

Dany

Banned
Considering Avatar had to be pulled from TV because of the poor ratings, and yet the show continued online for a fourth season...

This all leaves me skeptical if we'll ever see Avatar again.

Considering Avatar had to be pulled from TV because of the poor ratings, and yet the show continued online for a fourth season...

This all leaves me skeptical if we'll ever see Avatar again.
Poor ratings as a direct result of Nick fucking around with the schedule. The first book was beating SpongeBob for gods sake. Nick shuffling it around is what killed the ratings.

Lethe82

Banned
Absolutely agreed. Given how Nick operates I think it's kind of clear that they had no interest in continuing the property so they made sure they wouldn't have to. I mean sure issues with the show itself didn't help but that was entirely secondary to Nick essentially trying to kill the brand enough so they wouldn't have to deal with the head aches it gave them anymore.

Hamlet

Did Nick mess with the show because of the lack of toy sales, like what happened with Young Justice?

There aren't even any Korra toys out there. Nick has barely made any merchandise for the show during it's run.
Also I assume Korra's demographic not lining up with the one Nick wants had a big factor in their support of the show.

There aren't even any Korra toys out there. Nick has barely made any merchandise for the show during it's run.
Also I assume Korra's demographic not lining up with the one Nick wants had a big factor in their support of the show.
I'd kill for a highly detailed PlayArts Kuvira, P'li and Ming-Hua.

RedShift

Maybe it's just the parts of the internet I visit and the people I know but I swear Korra and Avatar in general is way, way more popular than its ratings suggest.

If it was handled better or on a different channel maybe it'd have done a lot better.

I'd kill for a highly detailed PlayArts Kuvira, P'li and Ming-Hua.
I want a Kotobukiya Korra. I'd cry evrytim

Maybe it's just the parts of the internet I visit and the people I know but I swear Korra and Avatar in general is way, way more popular than its ratings suggest.
Well now it definitely seems more popular than the actual numbers would suggest since we got people comin out the woodwork talking about how progressive it is and it's the greatest cartoon ever created because of it

At least fan art seems to give me what I want:
10265627_1537927706445630_1628305353875307856_o.png

10869469_1537927729778961_5652258097066024752_o.png

10872947_1537927743112293_5180201451398216377_o.png

10679999_1537927769778957_7182682945425455642_o.png

Yep. Korra drew in a much older and more gender equal crowd than Nick thought. They had it out for the show since day one. They didn't want to green light it since they thought boys wouldn't watch a show with a female protagonist.

Even when proved wrong they still fucked it over. I'll hate Nick forever because of how they treated Korra.

Hm.. I wonder if Mike and Bryan would accept that the 12-13 episode format was a pretty shitty format for what they can do. I mean I can give them props for TRYING, but if they think they did this series right... just no. Unfortunately, critics of this show are mad lenient on this show so I guess Mike & Bryan would go on without learning their major mistake for awhile.

Yep. Korra drew in a much older and more gender equal crowd than Nick thought. They had it out for the show since day one. They didn't want to green light it since they thought boys wouldn't watch a show with a female protagonist.

Even when proved wrong they still fucked it over. I'll hate Nick forever because of how they treated Korra.
I still don't know why networks pander to the 12 year old boy demographic. They have no money to buy shit any how.

Kinvara

Did Nick mess with the show because of the lack of toy sales, like what happened with Young Justice?

They barely made any toys for A:TLA which was for a younger demographic and had less story issues than Korra.

I don't think we ever got a Toph or Katara action figure but they released one for Jet and Bumi. Sexism...

Lethe82

Banned
Nick is awful, we all know it, I still am glad that they green lit the shows but it's also true that at least for season 1 to 2 how nick managed them was actually directly responsible for creating a lot of issues for the shows production that bled into issues with the writing.

Korra never would have said "I love you' to Mako at the end of season 1 if they had known they were getting two seasons all along and that Season 1 wasn't just going to be a mini series.

On the other hand the way season 1 handled Mako and Korra (so quickly) led to a backlash that probably made Korrasami possible.

Hamlet

Most def. Nicks treatment of the show has been absolutely horrible at times. Still pissed at how they sent off Book 3 to die in the ratings. One weeks notice and minimal advertising, that's definitely going to bring in the ratings for Book 3 Nick.

Hm.. I wonder if Mike and Bryan would accept that the 12-13 episode format was a pretty shitty format for what they can do. I mean I can give them props for TRYING, but if they think they did this series right... just no. Unfortunately, critics of this show are mad lenient on this show so I guess Mike & Bryan would go on without learning their major mistake for awhile.

Mike and Bryan seem to really love the 12-13 episode format. So I don't really see them going away from that format any time soon.
Bryan's thoughts on the 12-13 episode format.
For LOK, Nick wanted to do more standalone-style arcs, and we were happy to do so. After spending so many years with ATLA building up to a showdown with a single villain, we liked the idea of tighter arcs and a new villain for each book. We had originally pitched ATLA to be 12 episodes for each book, but the network wanted 20. So when they wanted the LOK to have shorter books, we were happy. As for Amon, we are pleased with the length of that story arc. Miniseries are where it's at!

Kinvara

Nick is awful, we all know it, I still am glad that they green lit the shows, but it's also true that, at least for season 1 to 2, how nick managed them was actually directly responsible for creating a lot of issues for the shows production that bled into issues with the writing.

Korra never would have said "I love you' to Mako at the end of season 1 if they had known they were getting two seasons all along and that Season 1 wasn't just going to be a mini series.

This is might just be me overthinking things but I would not be surprised at all if the love triangle BS of Book 1 and 2 was a demand from up top.

Oh, well, if you're going to have a teenage female protagonist, you gotta have that love triangle just like in those other popular teen girl franchises like The Hunger Games and Twilight.

This is might just be me overthinking things but I would not be surprised at all if the love triangle BS of Book 1 and 2 was a demand from up top.

Oh, well, if you're going to have a teenage female protagonist, you gotta have that love triangle just like in those other popular teen girl franchises like The Hunger Games and Twilight.
It's still possible to decently write a relationship and love triangle though, even if it is forced on you.

DedValve

Banned
I'm curious to when they decided on Korrasami. The popularity for that ship skyrocketed in book 3 and I think looking back, book 3 had a lot of platonic interactions between Korra and Asami (that could easily be misconstrued for something more) whereas they realized what their fans wanted and how they where the only good pair in the series and you can tell how much more romantic their interactions became.

Damn, imagine if they had korrasami in mind since the start. Imagine a lot of things with this show though, I was hoping for Korra and Kuvira to do one last bendless battle in the spirit world ala Naruto vs Sasuke in their last fight. No powers, no super choreographed fights, no music just 2 people beating the shit out of each other exhausted.

EDIT: We really need a fanart thread. Some of these fanarts are so fucking good. Perhaps we can fill the Community OT with it (obv no creepy ones, just the good "i wish the plot did this" ones).

Chariot

I'm curious to when they decided on Korrasami. The popularity for that ship skyrocketed in book 3 and I think looking back, book 3 had a lot of platonic interactions between Korra and Asami (that could easily be misconstrued for something more) whereas they realized what their fans wanted and how they where the only good pair in the series and you can tell how much more romantic their interactions became.

Damn, imagine if they had korrasami in mind since the start. Imagine a lot of things with this show though, I was hoping for Korra and Kuvira to do one last bendless battle in the spirit world ala Naruto vs Sasuke in their last fight. No powers, no super choreographed fights, no music just 2 people beating the shit out of each other exhausted.
I think they started in season 3 with this. Maybe even without any plan of it ever becoming the real thing, just as a nod, since other romance options were pretty bad. Mako was poison, Bolin had another girl, Varrick had a girl, kind off and Tenzin NTR would've been really bold.

Kinvara

It's still possible to decently write a relationship and love triangle though, even if it is forced on you.

What are some examples of well-done love triangles?

Because in Korra Book 1 the love triangle only existed to delay Korra and Mako getting together.

What are some examples of well-done love triangles?

Because in Korra Book 1 the love triangle only existed to delay Korra and Mako getting together.
I didn't mind the one in The Vision of Escaflowne that much. It's been a bit since I've seen it, but I don't remember it being that distracting since every character was portrayed pretty accurately to who and what they are. I really don't watch that many romance shows. Oh yeah there's also the Misa Hayes/Minmei/Hikaru one from the original Macross. You thought a couple of eps in Book 1 was pushing it have fun watching the constant toying around and false starts of that one.

MrChom

I didn't mind the one in The Vision of Escaflowne that much. It's been a bit since I've seen it, but I don't remember it being that distracting since every character was portrayed pretty accurately to who and what they are. I really don't watch that many romance shows.

Ah, Escaflowne. A show I had basically no business watching. Didn't like the art, the plot didn't sound interesting, and the animation was just odd. And yet it's one of the reasons I love anime. I've watched it through twice and it's absolutely outstanding. Looking forward to the Blu Rays of that when Anime Limited get around to releasing it....

Ah, Escaflowne. A show I had basically no business watching. Didn't like the art, the plot didn't sound interesting, and the animation was just odd. And yet it's one of the reasons I love anime. I've watched it through twice and it's absolutely outstanding. Looking forward to the Blu Rays of that when Anime Limited get around to releasing it....
I guess the medieval steam punk art style isn't for everybody, but the characters, plotting and story are ace. You end up feeling sorry for the two main villains. Dornkirk is kind of like the Ozai of the show, but Dilandau and Folken are the ones the show makes sure you feel something for. I loved that show. Music is top notch too, I will easily recommend that to everybody on here, Outlaw Star too.
All hail good fanart.
I will always love Kuvira with that long braid.

MrChom

I guess the medieval steam punk art style isn't for everybody, but the characters, plotting and story are ace. You end up feeling sorry for the two main villains. Dornkirk is kind of like the Ozai of the show, but Dilandau and Folken are the ones the show makes sure you feel something for. I loved that show. Music is top notch too, I will easily recommend that to everybody on here, Outlaw Star too.

...Dilandau's a good template for how balls to the wall crazy Azula might have gone. Frankly I approve of it, and desire more of it.

When I say art style I do mean more the people. Weird noses.....just...so....so weird.

The music is top notch because Yoko Kanno. I've yet to hear her put out a bad score, and she tends to be a bit more varied than people like Yuki Kajiura.

Kinvara

I didn't mind the one in The Vision of Escaflowne that much. It's been a bit since I've seen it, but I don't remember it being that distracting since every character was portrayed pretty accurately to who and what they are. I really don't watch that many romance shows. Oh yeah there's also the Misa Hayes/Minmei/Hikaru one from the original Macross. You thought a couple of eps in Book 1 was pushing it have fun watching the constant toying around and false starts of that one.

Haven't seen either of those.

If they're any decent, I'd say they're the exception rather than the rule. Love triangles are so overdone at this point.

I hate love triangels. It gets more funny though the more edges it get.

This is the real thing.

Always include a fish head in romantic entanglements.

Haven't seen either of those.

If they're any decent, I'd say they're the exception rather than the rule. Love triangles are so overdone at this point.
They're a bit ancient by today's standards, but hold up really well. I think Escaflowne is part of that 96 golden age and Macross is from 82. I've always loved the hand drawn stuff and it's from the time where L'arc En Ciel didn't do anime themes for everything so they have really good openings...not insulting LEC, but I do like some diversity in my themes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COI3bDu7R_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyes6ek4t2Y

...Dilandau's a good template for how balls to the wall crazy Azula might have gone. Frankly I approve of it, and desire more of it.

When I say art style I do mean more the people. Weird noses.....just...so....so weird.

The music is top notch because Yoko Kanno. I've yet to hear her put out a bad score, and she tends to be a bit more varied than people like Yuki Kajiura.

Dilandau was fucking awesome. I don't know what he sounded like in the sub, but his dub voice was pretty damn good. Dude was a proper monster and frankly I have no idea why Fox tried to air this as a kids show. It's like they saw the Gundam Wing craze and said, "this has robots! We can market this!" and they got more of a show than they had ever bargained for. Yanked like 9 eps in. I got that box set with one of my first pay checks when I started working. Show's fucking awesome.

No way dude. She's seen the error of her ways.
She toned down a lot after she dissolved her rule and army. I can see her and Korra actually having a conversation now. Besides Kuvira has like nothing now. It's one of the reasons why I felt sorry for her at the end. She has no family, no empire, no husband, no friends, her adopted mother probably disowned the shit out of her, nobody to talk to. She's just a lonely girl locked up in prison now. Only thing holding her up is her sense of pride and that got badly tarnished once she saw that Korra has more power than she will ever be able to achieve.

MrChom

Dilandau was fucking awesome. I don't know what he sounded like in the sub, but his dub voice was pretty damn good. Dude was a proper monster and frankly I have no idea why Fox tried to air this as a kids show.

Interesting choice of pronoun given that Dilandau turns out to be a woman. Then again I was never certain to what extent s/he had been changed....they are thankfully quite......vague with that.

That's one of those things a network might shy away from, actually....there'd have been an assload of cuts around it had it made it to broadcast I feel :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom