• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamlet

Just rewatched season 3's finale. I don't remember seeing Tenzin's youngest kid at all in season 4. Did I just miss him?

Yeah Rohan is in there a couple of times. You last see him running away from Pema at the wedding covered in purple jelly.

tumblr_ncoc3722tP1rss05ao1_500.png

Mariolee

I can't believe they did nothing with the Fire Lady either.

But I'll forgive them because I also can't believe Korrasami actually happened.

Permanently A

I think it was pretty nice of them to leave the romance as an open ending for people to interpret how they like. One of my friends was hyped for Korrasami, I'm amicable to it, and one of my friends hated the romance in general. We were all satisfied with the ending.

I actually vastly preferred the online distribution. It made it so much easier to watch the episodes together with my friends.

Hamlet

I can't believe they did nothing with the Fire Lady either.

But I'll forgive them because I also can't believe Korrasami actually happened.

Haha yeah I still can't believe they actually did it. Should have had more faith in Bryke and I wouldn't be stuck with this avatar ha.

Permanently A

Okay, I'll give it to the creators on this one, this was a very clever and subtle use of synmbolism which makes things so much less open ended. I am sure many are familiar with the rainbow pride flag, but there are other symbols out there, such as this one, the much more obscure bi-sexual pride flag. I will direct you to this scene here where the colors of said flag have been integrated into the mountain at this pivotal juncture.

...eh. Seems like a stretch.

I would buy it if the mountains were red and blue and the portal was purple.

edit: actually I just realized that the mountains have a purple strip, they're not just red and blue. very clever bryke, very clever.

Afrocious

Okay, I'll give it to the creators on this one, this was a very clever and subtle use of synmbolism which makes things so much less open ended. I am sure many are familiar with the rainbow pride flag, but there are other symbols out there, such as this one, the much more obscure bi-sexual pride flag. I will direct you to this scene here where the colors of said flag have been integrated into the mountain at this pivotal juncture.

I noticed this too. What sealed the deal to me was the remix of Avatar's Love at the end.

sohois

Seems like most of the talk now is all about the relationships. I haven't really read much of the previous thread or this one for people's opinions so I presume there is more than just endless shipping talk out there. In any case, here are my thoughts

First of all, as is probably obvious, I don't really have much of an opinion on the Korra Asami scene at the end. I think it was an interesting direction to go in, and I think complaints that there was little setup are wide of the mark. Ultimately they left it ambiguous, if you don't think that a relationship was likely then you don't have to believe that they would embark on one post-finale.

As to the finale, and Season 4, as a whole. The last 2 episodes presented an exciting, but finally disappointing ending for me. It all ended up a little formulaic and predictable, with little doubt about how the action scenes would end. A lot of the build-up to the infiltration of the mech was pointless since you knew that no matter what they did they wouldn't do any damage.

Incidentally, i wanted to take a side paragraph here to complain about the very notion of the giant mech. Doubtless plenty of people have already done so, but still. Firstly, platinum is not exactly some magic metal. It's not indestructible and probably wouldn't be a very good material for which to build a giant mech. There is little reason that it should have been able to stand up to most standard attacks, unless the metal was so thick that it wouldn't be able to move anyway. And regarding the movement, it was far too mobile for such a massive creation. Tbh I think the whole idea of the mech was just unneeded and they should have gone in another direction. I'm sure some were able to suspend disbelief enough not to be bothered by such nitpicking, but it was constantly bothering me. I think what was worse about it was the giant dome on the head. Even if one assumes that Avatar Platinum is some magic indestructible material, the top was a big glass dome. Glass isn't indestructible. Why didn't they just fly up to the head and smash through the glass?

So the majority of the action, even if well directed, seemed pointless and just a slog to the eventual solution. Moving on to the characters, much of the drama seemed rushed. Varrick and Juli was absurd. Juli's unrequited love was demonstrated clearly enough, as was Varrick's ignorance, yet there was simply no reason for Varrick to suddenly jump in with a proposal. The possibility of Korra and Asami seemed far more logical than the sudden wedding between the 2, despite there being far more overt hints. It was just shoehorned in.

The same with many other characters. to the surprise of no one, Prince Wu has a sudden revelation and decides to make the Earth kingdom into a democracy, based on nothing. Mako gets his heroic sacrifice to destroy the mech, when there was zero reason for him or the Beifongs to even bother with that instead of all just taking out Kuvira straight away. Asami's dad gets brought back for 2 scenes then killed off to give Asami some superficial development.

As for the rest, well they were barely featured. It's no secret that Korra had way, way too many characters with the end result that most of them were simply ignored or left with little conclusion. Not every character needs some ending, I mean it's fine for someone like Bumi to just appear and help out at the end, but the likes of Tenzin, Jinora and Bataar should have had much better conclusions.

Anyway, the show wound it's way to the inevitable conclusion, the bad guys defeated, and another massive world change for no real reason than to have some big effect of all that destruction. The ending left me with very little feeling, despite generally enjoying the show over its run. When ATLA ended I remember feeling a profound sense of sadness, but nothing here. Just an ending.

On to Season 4 as a whole. I think it started quite well but once Kuvira set her plans into motion it all became predictable and wrote(sp?), just as the finale was. I would rank it as second best, behind the 3rd.

The problems of season 4 have been well covered. Far too many characters, leaving most without satisfying personalities or development. Retreads of past arcs and development. A villain with no real motivation or reason. I felt that Toph was just a bone to fans and was as pointless as Iroh in season 2. Still a lot to enjoy though. A lot of the basics were still strong enough, with generally well done actions scenes throughout, the disastrous Kuvira-Korra fight aside. Varrick continued to be a great source of comic relief and most of the comedy was well done. Areas like direction, animation, sound, music, voice acting all pretty strong. And despite Republic city being so shit, the general world and mythos of Avatar is still very interesting.

The Legend of Korra was a show I largely enjoyed watching without having a great attachment to it. It certainly hasn't dimmed my enthusiasm for more Avatar based shows or a continuation of the Korra story. With a properly laid out series by Nickelodeon, we might have had something really great, but I'm still happy with what we got.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The real problem with Kuvira is not that she lacked motivation, he motivations were defined pretty well at the beginning, end the Earth Kingdom Civil War by any means necessary, unite the Earth Empire under her banner. Get rid of Prince Wu because he is an idiot and protect the reformed nation against foreign machinations. Finally, seek revenge against her mentor for her perceived betrayal of the Earth Kingdom and bring her land into the unification process. The problem is she met all of her principle goals and basically completed her character arc, leaving us with half a season of and now what in regards to Kuvira and the answer was defaulting to stock tyranny.

Neo Dark

It never had a Metal Gear Community until this year either, it's one of those things that no one ever though to make.

Weird. I'm still relatively new to GAF (member since August) but I always imagined it was one of those things that should have existed.

Thanks for that. Tbh, after Book 2 and the sudden release of Book 3 and the move to online, I began to develop a fatigue towards the series. I mostly ended up just skimming summaries on the wiki about the episodes. It's funny because when Book 3 ended, I went to see that last episode of that Book and my first reaction was "Since when did Asami and Korra get so close? Are they a couple now? What happened?" A book later and we have this and well it's actually kind of nice.

It's kind of like how real relationships build up in real life which actually last. You have something slowly building up over the years (or in this case over 2 Books so about 4 years?). So the hints might not be that big but I thought every little bit helped especially since you do have to realize there's a lot more letters that we don't know about in those 3 years that they wrote between each other.

P.S. Toa TAK, are you going to remove that fake tweet?

Hamlet

Thanks for that. Tbh, after Book 2 and the sudden release of Book 3 and the move to online, I began to develop a fatigue towards the series. I mostly ended up just skimming summaries on the wiki about the episodes. It's funny because when Book 3 ended, I went to see that last episode of that Book and my first reaction was "Since when did Asami and Korra get so close? Are they a couple now? What happened?" A book later and we have this and well it's actually kind of nice.

It's kind of like how real relationships build up in real life which actually last. You have something slowly building up over the years (or in this case over 2 Books so about 4 years?). So the hints might not be that big but I thought every little bit helped especially since you do have to realize there's a lot more letters that we don't know about in those 3 years that they wrote between each other.

P.S. Toa TAK, are you going to remove that fake tweet?

I hope you gave Book 3 a proper watch in the end as you're missing out a lot if you're just reading summaries about the episodes. Red Lotus are heap fun to watch. You've got all the great fight scenes (those prison escapes) and the biggest thing of that you're missing is that truly beautiful score by Jeremy Zuckerman.
Book 3 is easily the best season of Korra.

Neo Dark

I hope you gave Book 3 a proper watch in the end as you're missing out a lot if you're just reading summaries about the episodes. Red Lotus are heap fun to watch. You've got all the great fight scenes (those prison escapes) and the biggest thing of that you're missing is that truly beautiful score by Jeremy Zuckerman.
Book 3 is easily the best season of Korra.

I skipped around. However, I will say the series finale got me where I now plan to go back and re-watch the whole series. Debating if I want to just cut off season 2 though...

Savitar

Let's face it, the whole Korra/Asami thing, that was a 11th hour addition, not even the story board guy knew! Basically the creators looked at what people were cheering for, saw that the two were more popular than a Mako pairing by far and made it happen. There was no real sneaky hints or anything else that pointed to it existing because there was nothing. It would be like saying Katarra and Toph were possibly an item due to all the times they talked and went to get a beauty treatment in Ba Sing Sa. There was nothing in Legend of Korra that hinted at any real subtlety, the quality of the show proved that with how in your face everything was done. In the original show they could have pulled it off, but here there was none of that build up for anything.

They were friends, at the end they were made into being more than just friends. But it didn't exist until then. People will point at things sure, but they're just reading into things that didn't exist at the time. I'm sure Bryke will probably end up claiming otherwise yet when you come down into it, he essentially lucked into it and the whole thing is basically why more people aren't savaging the show's ending than they are.

And I say that as someone who enjoyed the show for what it was, season two as well.

Hamlet

I skipped around. However, I will say the series finale got me where I now plan to go back and re-watch the whole series. Debating if I want to just cut off season 2 though...

Have you watched all of Book 2 yet? If not i'd say still give it a watch and just know that it improves quite a bit after the Beginnings Part 1 & 2. Plus a lot of what happens in Book 2 sets up quite a few of the storylines for the next two Books eg leaving the portals open.
If you have though, nothing wrong with skipping a season if you don't enjoy it.

Hollycat

Just saw the episodes, and of course yay
h8CA40CFD

Korrasami confirmed.

This could have been a turning point in childrens television...
If it hadn't been online only.

Even so, I enjoyed the finale and can hardly believe they went there.

(The final Kuvira scene was completely anticlimactic though)

I am legit shook about it, in the best way possible. Like, they really did it? Amazing. It has consumed my mental processes for the entire.

Watching highlights from the series. I can't believe Avatar is over. It's fucking heartbreaking. I've been watching this since I was a kid :(
I was 13 when ATLA first started and I'm 22 now. With Korra being done it feels like the whole Avatar universe is done. Especially with how Nick treated the show. It just makes me sad.

Still, there wasn't a better way to end the series in my opinion. Everything just hit me so hard in a good way.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
h8CA40CFD

Korrasami confirmed.

Seems like in spite of it being online only, the external reaction is that this is still a turning point.

Neo Dark

Have you watched all of Book 2 yet? If not i'd say still give it a watch and just know that it improves quite a bit after the Beginnings Part 1 & 2. Plus a lot of what happens in Book 2 sets up quite a few of the storylines for the next two Books eg leaving the portals open.
If you have though, nothing wrong with skipping a season if you don't enjoy it.

Yeah I did. I watched Book 1 and 2. Which is probably why I'll skip 2. Then 3 and 4 I just got picky and started watching episodes that sparked my interest like seeing Zuko reappear and stuff like that.

It get's even better if you just imagine that those are their dying words.

Wow... that's especially true with Asami.

Daemul

h8CA40CFD

Korrasami confirmed.

Iirc season 4 and the finale aired on Nicktoons.

I thought it was alright. The action was fantastic. I really wish the show had started on the same track as season 1 though. Maybe extended that plot into an entire series. Season 3 had a good story worth exploring as well. The lesbian thing, while subtly hinted at this season, just wasn't developed enough for me to be excited about it. And I wasn't following this thread closely and I never took tumblr daydreams seriously.

It's cool for the people that had their wish come true but for me it just reinforces my desire for a show with a story arc that wasn't so dependent on focusing on something new each season. It didn't feel as satisfying in the end to me.

Eh. Korrasami aside (and I even have problems with how it was presented at the end), I found this season to be pretty bad as a whole.

Seems like Bryke were either monumentally lazy or were just running out of ideas. Kind of glad it's over TBH.
I agree, the final fight was also very anti climatic

Daemul

In which case I take my statement back.
After doing some minor research it turns out Nick aired the whole of season 4 on their website AND Nicktoons. I have no idea what made them change their minds about the show being online only.

The only thing I can think of is that it must have been pulling some crazy viewing numbers online and Nick wanted some of that sweet ad money, so they stuck it back on TV.

Hamlet

Yeah I did. I watched Book 1 and 2. Which is probably why I'll skip 2. Then 3 and 4 I just got picky and started watching episodes that sparked my interest like seeing Zuko reappear and stuff like that.

Wow... that's especially true with Asami.

Have fun with the re-watch. You're in for treat when you watch Book 3.
After doing some minor research it turns out Nick aired the whole of season 4 on their website AND Nicktoons. I have no idea what made them change their minds about the show being online only.

They showed Book 3 on Nicktoons also. So it makes sense for them to continue with Book 4 on Nicktoons.
That's also how we got our first footage of Book 4 when Nick accidentally stuck some Kuvira stuff in a Book 3 trailer for nicktoons.

If the show didn't end with the implication that Asami and Korra are going to start bumping uglies would people even still be talking about this show?
The real problem with Kuvira is not that she lacked motivation, he motivations were defined pretty well at the beginning, end the Earth Kingdom Civil War by any means necessary, unite the Earth Empire under her banner. Get rid of Prince Wu because he is an idiot and protect the reformed nation against foreign machinations. Finally, seek revenge against her mentor for her perceived betrayal of the Earth Kingdom and bring her land into the unification process. The problem is she met all of her principle goals and basically completed her character arc, leaving us with half a season of and now what in regards to Kuvira and the answer was defaulting to stock tyranny.
That's the one thing that does annoy me since her arc was pretty much done after she took Zaofu. They either should've paced it better by not implying from the first ep that she's the outright villain of the season. They showed her doing a bit of good when she fed the village of Yi, but we already knew she did it in an underhanded fashion. If she started off actually good and then we were able to witness her path evolve to actual corruption then that would've been a lot better. She very rarely acted human, just constantly stoic, when she was more interesting acting human. I liked her actually at the end when her vulnerability came out. Had they sprinkled that in more over the course of the season or actually told Bataar a little bit about her past it would've revealed some of their actual relationship as well. You have to remember I spent a good portion of this season even trying to figure out if she even knew the dude's name, that's not really a good sign.

Chariot

If the show didn't end with the implication that Asami and Korra are going to start bumping uglies would people even still be talking about this show?
Probably yes, but with a more negative tone. If it weren't for the end I would still praise the good fight where everyone shined, but would mostly rage about what a shit character was during the seasons. I would still rage about that, but I can't be made at her after that sweet ending.

The world may never know.
A part of me now thinks it was just done to deflect the poor pacing and writing that happened with the last half of this season. Show went out on a whimper, but to keep it in the news and in the memories of the fan base they give us Korrasami. I'm not even complaining that it actually happened. I just think it's a sign that the most talked about thing about the finale of the show is something that's highly controversial and in general doesn't do add anything to either the show or the lore of the show. I'm pretty pro LGBT as well and didn't find it offensive. I think personally I'm at the point where I want people to move beyond it and discuss other things, but honestly that's just me.
Probably yes, but with a more negative tone. If it weren't for the end I would still praise the good fight where everyone shined, but would mostly rage about what a shit character was during the seasons. I would still rage about that, but I can't be made at her after that sweet ending.
And that makes perfect sense. It just seems like people are using the ending to sort of redeem the course of the show. Will I watch Korra and Avatar again? Fuck yeah I don't hate the franchise at all it just fills my head with "this really could've ended better" and to see people kiss the ass of the show (not on here) just irks me. And yes I'm enjoying Young Justice by the way.

MrChom

Yup, because it was a really good finale.....over which the Steamroller of implied Korrasami has driven with glee. I thought the score and animation of the fight sequence in the cockpit of the mech was absolutely brilliant, and I loved the vague throwbacks from Kuvira to Azula. The moment where Asami is jettisoned from the hummingbird was absolutely heartbreaking. And let's face it, Varrik and Zhu-Li getting married is just amusing on every level.

The only thing I wish is that given they are implying some kind of relationship between Korra and Asami (whatever it is) I'd have liked to have seen more build to it throughout the season, and it makes me kinda sad that them holding hands basically eliminated a lot of other discussion of the finale...yes it is (possibly) an important moment on TV but I'd have liked it with some better writing behind it.

That said, I've loved Korra minute 1 to the finale, even when people said it was bad in season 2 I just continued watching because I really enjoyed it. So even with potential deficiencies in the writing I can forgive it for 4 fantastic seasons.

Yup, because it was a really good finale.....over which the Steamroller of implied Korrasami has driven with glee. I thought the score and animation of the fight sequence in the cockpit of the mech was absolutely brilliant, and I loved the vague throwbacks from Kuvira to Azula. The moment where Asami is jettisoned from the hummingbird was absolutely heartbreaking. And let's face it, Varrik and Zhu-Li getting married is just amusing on every level.

The only thing I wish is that given they are implying some kind of relationship between Korra and Asami (whatever it is) I'd have liked to have seen more build to it throughout the season, and it makes me kinda sad that them holding hands basically eliminated a lot of other discussion of the finale...yes it is (possibly) an important moment on TV but I'd have liked it with some better writing behind it.

That said, I've loved Korra minute 1 to the finale, even when people said it was bad in season 2 I just continued watching because I really enjoyed it. So even with potential deficiencies in the writing I can forgive it for 4 fantastic seasons.
I can't fault you there. Zuckerman knocked the music out of the park. I love the music and percussion swelling when they're fighting that giant mech when Korra starts hurling rocks at it. The music and animation for the most part are the series high points. Characters are fun as well...just too many of them so your favorite ones just tend to lose focus. Out of the cast only Korra and Asami actually got a sweet ending. The rest were just sort of there after the action happened. You don't know what happened to anybody though I'm going to assume Bolin and Opal gets married and it looks like Lin started to live in Zaofu with her family...I don't know there's just a lot of unanswered questions and I have a bad habit of sitting down and thinking about those questions in my down time. Did Kuvira ever see Bataar again? Shit like that.
So glad you like it. Where are you right now?
I finished ep 3 where they introduced Ms Martian to the team. I'm liking the dynamic, everybody seems to have their diverse role among the team so far, with Robin looking like he's going to be the planner/leader or something. I'm liking the slow build up and chemistry with Super Boy and Ms Martian, though I don't like how the guy is constantly a giant ball of angst, stop listening to Linkin Park Super Boy.

I can't fault you there. Zuckerman knocked the music out of the park. I love the music and percussion swelling when they're fighting that giant mech when Korra starts hurling rocks at it. The music and animation for the most part are the series high points. Characters are fun as well...just too many of them so your favorite ones just tend to lose focus. Out of the cast only Korra and Asami actually got a sweet ending. The rest were just sort of there after the action happened. You don't know what happened to anybody though I'm going to assume Bolin and Opal gets married and it looks like Lin started to live in Zaofu with her family...I don't know there's just a lot of unanswered questions and I have a bad habit of sitting down and thinking about those questions in my down time. Did Kuvira ever see Bataar again? Shit like that.

I finished ep 3 where they introduced Ms Martian to the team. I'm liking the dynamic, everybody seems to have their diverse role among the team so far, with Robin looking like he's going to be the planner/leader or something. I'm liking the slow build up and chemistry with Super Boy and Ms Martian, though I don't like how the guy is constantly a giant ball of angst, stop listening to Linkin Park Super Boy.
I mean, did you want an Animal House ending detailing every detail of their lives? We don't really know where anyone went after the show and that's fine. You could go on forever but I like the clean ending.

MrChom

The rest were just sort of there after the action happened. You don't know what happened to anybody though I'm going to assume Bolin and Opal gets married and it looks like Lin started to live in Zaofu with her family...I don't know there's just a lot of unanswered questions and I have a bad habit of sitting down and thinking about those questions in my down time. Did Kuvira ever see Bataar again? Shit like that.

I think I'm okay not knowing...I'm tired of too much wrap up on things. We never saw what happened with most of the ATLA cast either...and that's okay, because whatever ending they write...it's going to take up screen time, and probably be pretty much what you imagine.

Besides, as we've seen with ATLA becoming LOK....there's no real end....no real lasting peace...there's no point where the Avatar is no longer needed. Wherever you stop there's something around the corner just waiting to unfold unspeakable evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom