• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even worse, non-Region A Blu Ray's lack all the extra features of their Region A counterparts, meaning we non-Region A peasants have to import Blu Rays from a Region A country if we want to get everything. This is assuming that the Region A Blu Ray will even work on our peasant non-Region A Blu Ray players.

Thankfully, the LoK Blu Rays have all been region free thus far.

least you can afford it :(

Daemul

least you can afford it :(

:(

image.php

Even worse, non-Region A Blu Ray's lack all the extra features of their Region A counterparts, meaning we non-Region A peasants have to import Blu Rays from a Region A country if we want to get everything. This is assuming that the Region A Blu Ray will even work on our peasant non-Region A Blu Ray players.

Thankfully, the LoK Blu Rays have all been region free thus far.
Although I'm in region A, no one was selling them, so I had to import anyway.

Hamlet

Interesting super early concept art for Zuko. Quite unique ha.
tumblr_n9dqtv4RHx1rdjtxto1_1280.jpg

Makorra shippers are like those decades long entrenched imperial Japanese soldiers in the jungles. The war is over, but they will still bunker up. Though seeing some of their posts via stealth tagging with Korrasami in tumblr is kinda amusing. Like arguing that Korra's blush when Asami complimented her was out of embarrassment/discomfort and nothing more.
Haha yeah the denial is quite strong with some people.

I really need the DVDs, but I'm poor so struggle streams it is.
Here are some summaries for the commentaries. It's not the same as listening to them but it's something I suppose.
Book 1
Book 2
Book 3

It is always a frightening thing when I meet someone as stubborn as myself

How's everyone doing?
Haha what was the topic this time.
All good. Happy Australia won last night and are on their way to the semi finals in the Asian Cup. Also started watching Farscape for the first time. I'm enjoying it so far.

Veelk

Banned
did you get into another heated discussion

Someone like you? Impossible :p

Which CW show was it this time?

Haha what was the topic this time.
All good. Happy Australia won last night and are on their way to the semi finals in the Asian Cup. Also started watching Farscape for the first time. I'm enjoying it so far.

Zelda fans. Frikken Zelda fans. And it wasn't so much heated as it was exhausting. If I wanted to get into something heated though, I'd pick a fight with One Piece fans.

On the show side, I've started watching Person of Interest and HOLY CRAP IT IS SO GOOD (So far. I'm only 6 episodes in, but the episodes thus far have been very good, especially 4)

Interesting super early concept art for Zuko. Quite unique ha.
tumblr_n9dqtv4RHx1rdjtxto1_1280.jpg

"My hair is a Q-tip, your argument is invalid."

Zelda fans. Frikken Zelda fans. And it wasn't so much heated as it was exhausting. If I wanted to get into something heated though, I'd pick a fight with One Piece fans.

On the show side, I've started watching Person of Interest and HOLY CRAP IT IS SO GOOD (So far. I'm only 6 episodes in, but the episodes thus far have been very good, especially 4)

Zuko looks like he's cosplaying as a Pikmin or some shit. You never pick a fight with a fanbase from anything Nintendo related, you just don't. I just internalize my complaints and just keep living my life. Nobody has time for that kind of shit.

Let me guess. Skyward Sword?

You're wrong, that game is great.
:p

In any case, glad they changed that initial Zuko design. His hair looks like a cartoon bomb fuse.

In any case, glad they changed that initial Zuko design. His hair looks like a cartoon bomb fuse.
Zuko does this at the end of the fuse:
tumblr_m6xepu48cQ1qktkc3.gif

I liked Twilight Princess a lot more than Skyward Sword. Maybe it's because I was dealing with some bitchy Japanese Christmas Cake Nintendo nerd at the time and it went horribly or it just couldn't grab me cause of the motion controls or a combination of the two, but it doesn't rank that high for me. Maybe I should give it a fair shake one day.

Zuko does this at the end of the fuse:
tumblr_m6xepu48cQ1qktkc3.gif

I liked Twilight Princess a lot more than Skyward Sword. Maybe it's because I was dealing with some bitchy Japanese Christmas Cake Nintendo nerd at the time and it went horribly or it just couldn't grab me cause of the motion controls or a combination of the two, but it doesn't rank that high for me. Maybe I should give it a fair shake one day.

The controls only bothered me in one particular swimming section, otherwise I thought they were fine. In fact by the end of the game I was a bit sad that future Zelda games wouldnt have motion controls. I thought it made combat pretty fun. This game actually had a decent narrative too, so that was a plus. My only issue with the game is just that there's a bit of padding here and there which is a tad bit obvious.

The controls only bothered me in one particular swimming section, otherwise I thought they were fine. In fact by the end of the game I was a bit sad that future Zelda games wouldnt have motion controls. I thought it made combat pretty fun. This game actually had a decent narrative too, so that was a plus. My only issue with the game is just that there's a bit of padding here and there which is a tad bit obvious.
Maybe I'll play it again eventually. Granted I was never a fan of the Wii motion controls. I only really dealt with it fine in Metroid Prime 3.

Gonna be the first to say that the artist should have probably stopped at the first two pictures.
Speaking of which, does anyone have any ideas how Bataar Jr. and Kuvirva relationship might have work... in any change of directions? Both got mommy issues, so that's something I guess. Although, it is the same mother.

Daemul

Now Up Your Aresenal danggg game was good way better than Crack in Time

I haven't played Ratchet and Clank in a decade, but I still remember how majestic the PS2 games were. Up Your Arsenal was phenomenal, but I also really liked Gladiator, since it was a nice change of pace to what we were usually used to playing

I've been contemplating buying a PS3 so that I can play the games again and continue the series, but I've heard the PS3 era of Ratchet games was below average, so I'm not sure if I should bother or not. I'd happily just replay the PS2 era games, though I am horrendously out of practice lol

Interesting link and of course there is an Opal/Kuvira ship ha.
Anything goes I suppose for shippers.
Tenzin got rekt, Bataar should learn how to fucking block and yes there's Kuvopal which I usually don't post in here because I don't want TAK to have a fucking aneurysm. I guess I know what I'm putting in here when I get to work.
Now at work. Eat it Toa:
tumblr_ni3wdrtNaS1tibkx1o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ni66o5wGtl1u80xjyo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nhi7hqlklu1tibkx1o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nhi7hqlklu1tibkx1o2_1280.jpg

I haven't played Ratchet and Clank in a decade, but I still remember how majestic the PS2 games were. Up Your Arsenal was phenomenal, but I also really liked Gladiator, since it was a nice change of pace to what we were usually used to playing

I've been contemplating buying a PS3 so that I can play the games again and continue the series, but I've heard the PS3 era of Ratchet games was below average, so I'm not sure if I should bother or not. I'd happily just replay the PS2 era games, though I am horrendously out of practice lol

The future series is great and normally gets a lot of praise here. In fact, more people here think Crack in Time is better than UYA.

Tools of Destruction and A Crack in time are perfectly fine, I didn't play the last one, but the only bad ones are the odd spin off games like All 4 one and some other fucking thing that came out. Just know which ones to buy and you'll see that the PS3 games are perfectly fine.

Hamlet

Tenzin got rekt, Bataar should learn how to fucking block and yes there's Kuvopal which I usually don't post in here because I don't want TAK to have a fucking aneurysm. I guess I know what I'm putting in here when I get to work.
Now at work. Eat it Toa:
tumblr_ni3wdrtNaS1tibkx1o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ni66o5wGtl1u80xjyo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nhi7hqlklu1tibkx1o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nhi7hqlklu1tibkx1o2_1280.jpg
These are pretty cute despite the heart attack you'll be giving Toa ha.
It's actually legit good? Is it longer than Quest for Booty?
Yeah it's pretty good, but not that much longer than Quest for Booty. Only took me about 4-5 hours to complete the story. The villains are quite fun and the story is classic humorous Ratchet & Clank stuff even if it is a tad rushed towards the end.

Yeah ItN is a quite a bit longer, and the game is good. I think it has like 5 planets, including an arena. Also it introduces this jetpack which lets you fly while shooting things in the air. I thought it was pretty cool. There are a couple sections designed around it. Almost all of the weapons are new (also the game has it's own RYNO) and the Clank sections are more fast paced (compared to other clank sections at least) 2D platforming segments, which I think fit the flow of an R&C game much better than other clank sections have.

Well I spent a lot more time on ItN at least.

Yeah ItN is a quite a bit longer, and the game is good. I think it has like 5 planets, including an arena. Also it introduces this jetpack which lets you fly while shooting things in the air. I thought it was pretty cool. There are a couple sections designed around it. Almost all of the weapons are new (also the game has it's own RYNO) and the Clank sections are more fast paced (compared to other clank sections at least) 2D platforming segments, which I think fit the flow of an R&C game much better than other clank sections have.

Well I spent a lot more time on ItN at least.
Interesting. I need to play through that collection I bought ages ago. I didn't spend that much time with each game, but I've been thinking about it since you brought the series up. Should be fun if I do decide to start playing them.
These are pretty cute despite the heart attack you'll be giving Toa ha.
Sleepysenshi draws Kuvira in such a cute way.

Veelk

Banned

SS vs TP and the viability of Fi as a companion.

My complete thoughts on SS if you're interested though.

TLDR version? Fuck Fi.

Twilight Princess is my least favorite Zelda, oddly enough.

Psh. Heathen.

TP was my first Zelda and while I ordinarily pride myself on a pretty sharp memory, I played it 8 years ago and just don't remember much except that I really liked it. But I was a totally different gamer back then. Who knows how I'll feel about it now. I'll eventually replay it.

But I am never replaying SS unless they come out with a remastered edition or something that speeds up the text and allows the option to turn Fi off.

On Ratchet and Clank, I actually feel I got burned out on the PS2 era and never played the PS3 games. They just started blurring together and feeling like the same game after a while.

SS vs TP and the viability of Fi as a companion.

My complete thoughts on SS if you're interested though.

TLDR version? Fuck Fi.

Psh. Heathen.

TP was my first Zelda and while I ordinarily pride myself on a pretty sharp memory, I played it 8 years ago and just don't remember much except that I really liked it. But I was a totally different gamer back then. Who knows how I'll feel about it now. I'll eventually replay it.

But I am never replaying SS unless they come out with a remastered edition or something that speeds up the text and allows the option to turn Fi off.
Do you write those long OP's in one sitting or do you write them in word first over the course of the day? Cause holy shit. I remember liking the atmosphere of Twilight Princess and Midna a lot more over Skyward Sword. I got through a good portion of Twilight Princess, but I maybe did only like two dungeons of Skyward Sword before I just put it down. The controls really just annoyed me, I just found them to be too overbearing and I would've enjoyed more traditional controls...that and I had to buy a new controller just to play the damn game.

What you have against One Piece?

Also the last time i saw you were badgering that God of War thread about Kratos, do you live on conflict or something :p

Veelk

Banned
Do you write those long OP's in one sitting or do you write them in word first over the course of the day? Cause holy shit. I remember liking the atmosphere of Twilight Princess and Midna a lot more over Skyward Sword. I got through a good portion of Twilight Princess, but I maybe did only like two dungeons of Skyward Sword before I just put it down. The controls really just annoyed me, I just found them to be too overbearing and I would've enjoyed more traditional controls...that and I had to buy a new controller just to play the damn game.

One sitting. I rarely revise them which probably makes them slightly more bloated than they ought to be, but even when I do, they're still pretty long so idk.

Yeah, the controls are really annoying. They work maybe 95% of the time, which is not enough. It does eventually have 2 really good dungeons though.

What you have against One Piece?

Everything.

Also the last time i saw you were badgering that God of War thread about Kratos, do you live on conflict or something :p

Are you talking about the one asking if Kratos is an alright guy or the analysis one I wrote up?

But to answer your quesiton....yeah, I think. Honestly, I've just gotten so good at finding whats wrong with something that I sometimes struggle to articulate when something is really good (though I manage I guess). I'll probably do a write up on Person of Interest once I finish the first season and that is probably going to be mostly positive.

One sitting. I rarely revise them which probably makes them slightly more bloated than they ought to be, but even when I do, they're still pretty long so idk.

Yeah, the controls are really annoying. They work maybe 95% of the time, which is not enough. It does eventually have 2 really good dungeons though.

Everything.

Are you talking about the one asking if Kratos is an alright guy or the analysis one I wrote up?

But to answer your quesiton....yeah, I think. Honestly, I've just gotten so good at finding whats wrong with something that I sometimes struggle to articulate when something is really good (though I manage I guess). I'll probably do a write up on Person of Interest once I finish the first season and that is probably going to be mostly positive.
The controls pissed me off during that first Ghirahim fight. I only played the game for probably 6 hours tops compared to the I think 60 hours I put into Twilight Princess. Sounds like I should watch Person of Interest.

Everything.

hmmm Explain.

and i hope its not horseshit hating like that poster Something of the sort Viking aka Beam writes especially since i usually hold you to a high standard.

mostly the former (and to be clear no Kratos wasn't but it was only in Chains and Gow1 i kinda slight felt bad for him, then the sequels happened and i just let it go and enjoy the bullshit)

Veelk

Banned
I didn't even feel bad for him in God of War 1. Here's the other analysis explaining why if your interested while you wait for my response to OP

hmmm Explain.

and i hope its not horseshit hating like that poster Something of the sort Viking aka Beam writes.

Well....in most of my analysis, I can pick out things that pretty much everyone agrees are bad. Logical errors, bad characterization, plot holes, etc. One piece is slightly different because it does a lot of things right. Not just kinda right, but things like maintaining continuity for 15+ years is impressive. The way it brings back past characters into the fold is impressive. The foreshadowing is really good, so when the plot twists come, they're still unexpected, but they make sense. And the things it does wrong, like not making sense, people either tolerate or embrace it because the manga clearly does not care about it.

However, what this series does is push a lot of my buttons. For example, on general principle, I don't like series that flat out tell me "haha, just have fun and don't worry about how this makes sense!" and One Piece is a series that exactly that. OP is a series that rarely contradicts it's own internal rules, but has absolutely no regard for how things are supposed to make sense beyond that and we're supposed to accept them. For me, this really lessens the impact of anything, because it feels like there is no integrity to how the world is supposed to work. This basically dissipates any tension in conflicts for me because at any point, they're going to pull out some inane BS that solves their problems. Recent example, Robin's attack on Diamante in the last chapter. Diamante attacks with his snake sword or whatever and she sprouts hands making a butterfly symbol that somehow averts the attack. Apparently, somehow she is flapping her hands in that super inefficient way makes enough of a gust to deflect the blow. This kind of stuff simply drives me up the wall. There is no way this should work, but it does, because her hands look like butterflies, and therefore gust of wind strong enough to do that.

And whenever I bring this sort of stuff up, people just tell me not to overthink it and just have fun, which is why I said debates with OP fans tend to get heated with me. Because it's kind of insulting to basically be told you're thinking about it wrong and that makes you a drag. This kind of stuff isn't fun to me, it's just stupid. It's becomes too nonsensical to enjoy for me. So just the way the vast majority of events play out for me is just frustrating to watch, because a lot of it is plot important stuff. For example, the way he beat Crocodile. Crocodile can turn to sand at any moment of impact. He has such control over sand that he can create sand hurricanes and fire it at such a rate that it cuts like a sword...but he can't activate it because Luffy is using TINY amounts of water from his bloodied knuckles? Why? How can that tiny amount of water incapacitate someone who can do all that? And that's not even getting started on the higher level powers. Law has control over fucking spacetime, he should be able to incapacitate anyone. Look, I know it's fiction and that means I have to make some allowances on logic. Avatar itself asks a fair bit in this because firebending should not work the way it does, scientifically speaking, but it tries it's best to make sense otherwise. But OP has kind of stuff happening nearly scene by scene, and I cannot accept it at that staggering amount. It drives me up the fucking wall.

In terms of the characters, I hate nearly everybody and simply do not accept them as human beings. This is for a number of reasons. For one, there is just the manga aesthetic. I really don't like the overly cartoony aesthetic that OP has, but I've mostly gotten over it and tolerate it at this point. However, what I haven't gotten over is the faces they make on emotional scenes. You do the face fault kind of stuff when you want to do a comedic moment, to show it's over the top. OP does it with crying faces as well, which ruins a lot of the emotional moments. For example, when Ace died, I was legitimately sad. I was engaged and immersed in the scene. You know how it happens when you are super into the world and giving it your full attention. Then Luffy cries, and what should be the moment of my deepest emotional connection to Luffy's loss is utterly ruined by that stupid pez dispenser face he makes. It's like being dunked with ice water. I'm no longer in the moment, I'm reading a manga, and the connection I've felt with the character is severed. This is still the most tragic death in the entire series of a character I liked more than most, and I am completely indifferent to it.

There's also the way it's structured. Have you ever imagined how OP would read without the flashbacks? For me, it seems like it'd be a super happy series where the Strawhats just come in and punch away all the problems for reasons none of the main characters fully understand. Because for the most part, there is a severe disconnect between the present and the past. The flashbacks are just a way of showing how problems came to be and where all the tragic stuff happens. The present is Luffy solving those problems by punching. Korra would be proud I guess, but for me it creates an air of artificiality, because without even knowing the content of the flashback, I essentially already know the conclusion. If it's a flashback, it's going to end with the character whose helping the character having the flashback dying. If it's the present, it's going to end with Luffy solving everything by punching the guy, who is usually the guy that killed whoever in the flashback. It's so repetitious that it's boring, and it absolves any tension in the present because I always know the bad guys are going to get their comeuppance. Again, I really like the Marineford arc because it is a complete subversion of this tired formula. I also liked the Usopp conflict in Waters 7-Ennes Lobby, because it was an ongoing conflict whose resolution I cannot predict. Even the current arc, I can tell you that there is a 95% chance that Doflamingo will just get his ass beat and then show up some later time. THe only reason that's not 100% is because he's coming off as a much more important 'boss' character than other boss characters have been thus far, but that's still somethign I'm sure is going to happen. His cutting off of Law's arm will be either undone or actually improve Law's abilities (another thing I've noticed. No injury ever seems to actually injure people. Any disability that someone has is somehow overcompensated for.). Basically, I'm saying that for all the deaths and terror it has, OP lacks grit. Very rarely do I ever feel any kind of tension for the characters, and would like more conflicts like Usopp.

And then there's just the way the characters act. This might be wierd to say, but it's so hard for me to picture the Strawhat crew as actual friends. It's more like they are a collection of highly empathetic people who have VERY strict policy on not abandoning nakama. But that's not necessarily friendship to me. We get all these flashbacks, but a large point is made that Luffy (and presumably none of other strawhats) ever really inquire about their past. They never get into any kind of deep conversation about their beliefs, their differences, why they follow their dreams, if they're actually afraid of wherever their crazy captain is going to take them next, whats going to happen if one of them actually gets killed or whatever. They just bicker and have fun together, but that makes them playmates to me, with the only thing that actually binds them in friendship is an unusual sense of loyalty to one another. It also stalls character development. There is so much stuff that happened, but I don't feel any of characters actually changed that much. Usopp got slightly less afraid? Maybe? Luffy went thought a pretty heavy experience, but no one seems to ask him "hey, you okay there man?" They don't know what he went through in the 2 year time skip, but oh, he's acting like classic Luffy, he must be fine! There are some subtleties to the characters, but they are drowned out to me by how they are much more like like archtypes that never really change in a big way. They simply do not act like real people to me and I can almost never get invested in whatever personal conflicts they are having. Again, the Usopp conflict is one of the rare exceptions because that's one of the few times I felt things were actually changing within the dynamic of the crew, and nothing like that has been seen since.

And not being emotionally invested is a really big problem, because this series all but runs on emotion. It tries to force me into the pathos of what is happening so often. Character does something. "X JUST DID THAT!!!", as if the manga is trying to bring the reader into the manga by having him be part of the spectators who are slackjawed at what is happening. This is present in way too many scenes. There is so much yelling in this series, over mundane things anyone can see happening. And there are always dramatic close ups when villains do something particularly bad. There is such an emphasis on those moments, often complete with BWAHAAHAHAHAHA! to try and make me feel as bad as possible. But that stuff just doesn't work on me. It just feels like the series is trying to manipulate me, to which my natural response is "No, fuck you, I'm not going to care no matter how much you try to make me!" I really like Akainu, because he doesn't engage in that sort of BS. He just does things and it feels like natural storytelling to say, Hody's "NOW LET ME TWIRL MY MUSTACHE AS I DO THIS TOTALLY UNNECESSARILY CRUEL THING BECAUSE I'M EEEEEEEEVUL AHAHAHAHA!"

Ugh, there is more, but that's the general gist.

So why do I even read it, I hear you asking? Well, for all that it does to drive me away, there are certain mysteries I'm curious about. Namely, the void century. But honestly, if Oda would publish a fictional history book on OP that just explains it, I'd rather read that than the actual series, because I couldn't care less about Luffy achieving his dream or whatever, and care very little about any other character.

I didn't even feel bad for him in God of War 1. Here's the other analysis explaining why if your interested while you wait for my response to OP

read it and i disagree on somestuff like for example the alternate ways since iirc some said it wasn't possible, he tried one in Chains but was ultimately denied by an asshole enemy and i'm not sure how he would face them constantly yet having that image of your ultimate mistake lol.

Also i think he should have died in GOW1 since that would have placed the tale to a close of doing all of that shit which includes killing a god but still couldn't get rid of the thing he wanted so he just ends it with nothing solved (and probably in Hell unable to do nothing but relive it for the rest of all time)

I will agree that he did blame everyone else (Ares was a massive dick but hey) but himself and it took about 5 games (and all that destruction) until he finally realized it haha. Also the writing is all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom