• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamlet

These are pretty neat. They're done by the same person who did the LoK/Anastasia crossover fanart.

tumblr_nilxhdVWeb1rwpx30o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nilxhdVWeb1rwpx30o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nilxhdVWeb1rwpx30o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nilxhdVWeb1rwpx30o4_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nilxhdVWeb1rwpx30o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_nilxhdVWeb1rwpx30o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_nilxhdVWeb1rwpx30o7_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nilxhdVWeb1rwpx30o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_nilxhdVWeb1rwpx30o9_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nilxhdVWeb1rwpx30o10_r1_1280.jpg
kaiayame

Ty Lee

Believe
I'll believe it when I see it.

I liked the ending of the Ant arc in how it concluded the King's character arc and the reprecussions it left, but it was obviously a rushed product so the pacing was slightly off. But Meruem is seriously one of the best characters in any manga, so I can't hate too hard since he got his ending right.

There is no series that escapes Veelk Criticism. It is a black hole, a singularity. Once you are caught within my reach, no book or game or show or movie gets away unscathed. If they are good enough, they may survive. Thrive, even, in the desolate wastes left after the cleansing flames of my critical eye, a place where only the best survive, where the best can survive...but nothing escapes.

Except Gurren Lagann. And Kill la Kill. Those two are...special.

I really loved the ending to it since it was such a "fuck your shonen boss battle" ending, plus what better way for him
(a very powerful enemy for the arc) to go out doing what he learned to love with the person he also learned to love

Wasn't a fan of the next arc ending because
of coincidences and MC plot armor but hey at least he didn't get out of it completely unscathed by losing his ability and more likely needs to relearn it

But with
Ging trolling the fuck out of Pariston in the latest arc
i'm back on board.

Togashi please come back :(

360pages

I often wonder what it takes to write a good story, as a writer I think keeping a consistent tone is good. But I always have trouble escalating the story.

I totally understand that. Like, all of it. The art style doesn't bother me as much, but I agree with how little tension there is. Hurts it so much. Also, the pacing kills it for me. It feels like Oda tries to do too much sometimes and gets off track, but it always becomes relevant in the end so I suppose it's worth it.

Stuff like with Robin doesn't bother me so much though, because I get caught up in the hype of the moment. OP does that to me. I do have to disagree on the characters though. While the individual characters don't make their mark too much (aside from "cool" factor), I enjoy their dynamics a lot. Also, it's a super fun series to talk about in regards to theories and such.

Veelk is not making me want to watch One Piece. I guess there's a reason why I just stayed clear the fuck away from the big 3 of Bleach, One Piece and Naruto.
The Big 3 have their place, but one of the big issues some seem to have is that they are so damn long. A lot of people rag on these series for using "tired shonen tropes," but seem to forget how long these series have been running. It's not as bad as more recent shonen battle series in that aspect (Blue Exorcist is the worst).

Watch them if you want, just be prepared for the amount of time you'll have to invest in them. I always tell people who ask me "is OP good?" that I like it, but it takes a lot of time to get to the point that I thought was where it really started to get going (around the second half of the Baratie arc).

Most of them.... Eh I don't know, a lot of them tend to look very similar to each other. Just that anime "look." Funny cause I wouldn't call it ugly at all, it just doesn't grab me most of the time. The ones that try to be different, I just find ugly usually.

Art styles I do like are

Naruto
Attack on Titan
Kill La Kill

yeah. Like I said, it doesn't really do anything to grab me. I've still made exceptions with things like Initial D and Sword Art Online. The environments tend to look beautiful, but it's the character art that usually doesn't do anything to draw me in.
I despise SAO with a fiery passion, but I do have to agree on it having a solid art style with very pretty environments.

:/

there are better reasons to pass imo.
It's probably the best reason, honestly. It's a criticism of anime as a medium (which is what it is) as opposed to a criticism of it as a genre (which it is not). Most people criticize anime based on the latter, which doesn't really work.

These are pretty neat. They're done by the same person who did the LoK/Anastasia crossover fanart.

kaiayame

I'll believe it when I see it.
I was not expecting such a crossover. Color me pleasantly surprised.

I often wonder what it takes to write a good story, as a writer I think keeping a consistent tone is good. But I always have trouble escalating the story.
Write what you want. It's a completely subjective matter, regardless. Write what you want and don't let other people get in your head too much. You know what you want to write, not them. Although, a bit of wisdom and criticisms from others can be a nice thing to have.

360pages

I totally understand that. Like, all of it. The art style doesn't bother me as much, but I agree with how little tension there is. Hurts it so much. Also, the pacing kills it for me. It feels like Oda tries to do too much sometimes and gets off track, but it always becomes relevant in the end so I suppose it's worth it.

Stuff like with Robin doesn't bother me so much though, because I get caught up in the hype of the moment. OP does that to me. I do have to disagree on the characters though. While the individual characters don't make their mark too much (aside from "cool" factor), I enjoy their dynamics a lot. Also, it's a super fun series to talk about in regards to theories and such.

The Big 3 have their place, but one of the big issues some seem to have is that they are so damn long. A lot of people rag on these series for using "tired shonen tropes," but seem to forget how long these series have been running. It's not as bad as more recent shonen battle series in that aspect (Blue Exorcist is the worst).

Watch them if you want, just be prepared for the amount of time you'll have to invest in them. I always tell people who ask me "is OP it good?" that I like it, but it takes a lot of time to get to the point that I thought was where it really started to get going (around the second half of the Baratie arc).

I despise SAO with a fiery passion, but I do have to agree on it having a solid art style with very pretty environments.

It's probably the best reason, honestly. It's a criticism of anime as a medium (which is what it is) as opposed to a criticism of it as a genre (which it is not). Most people criticize anime based on the latter, which doesn't really work.

I was not expecting such a crossover. Color me pleasantly surprised.

Write what you want. It's a completely subjective matter, regardless. Write what you want and don't let other people get in your head too much. You know what you want to write, not them. Although, a bit of wisdom and criticisms from others can be a nice thing to have.

You are probably write, the start is slow, but now that I have everything set up, I can probably have more interesting situations for the characters now. And actually start a good portion of the plot.

You are probably write, the start is slow, but now that I have everything set up, I can probably have more interesting situations for the characters now. And actually start a good portion of the plot.

When I was in school for Digital Media, one of the things I always appreciated was a good and varied pool of criticisms from the class. Whenever we presented a project (like a video or an audio piece), the rest of the class would be allowed to present their thoughts and opinions. It never got mean or offensive, and was very nice and civil. It helped me make what I considered to be better content. So, while it is completely subjective, it's might help you see things a different way when it comes to the type of content you want to create, and may help you to create what you consider "better content."

360pages

When I was in school for Digital Media, one of the things I always appreciated was a good and varied pool of criticisms from the class. Whenever we presented a project (like a video or an audio piece), the rest of the class would be allowed to present their thoughts and opinions. It never got mean or offensive, and was very nice and civil. It helped me make what I considered to be better content. So, while it is completely subjective, it's might help you see things a different way when it comes to the type of content you want to create, and may help you to create what you consider "better content."

I usually post on places for all to see and got great feedback. Still getting feedback, this is mostly for my completely original stuff. It's only 13 chapters in, but I can keep it up since I've gotten a decent amount of reviews or it.

Someone probably posted this already in here, but it's so perfect.

No seriously.

Perfect.

I've gone down a rabbit hole of other things done to a Power Rangers intro. I'm not sure where it'll lead me, but I can only imagine it'll be a good place.

Right?

Right.

I didn't hate it, but it didn't hold me for more than 12 or so episodes. I don't find the character designs particularly interesting in that show. It's not that it's bad, but like I was saying... SOOOO much anime looks similar. TONS AND TONS AND TONS of anime related fanart I've seen online uses that extremely similar artstyle. I'm just worn out by it. It doesn't capture me anymore. It's not just that it doesn't capture me, but it feels stale, even though I don't think it's bad exactly. I remember really liking it a LOT when I was in like 6th grade, but it worn down on me.

Like if I saw Sword Art online and there wasn't a freaking monopoly on that style already, then I'd probably adore it. Even though that does have that common anime style, I still find it to be done at least a bit better in that show than most shows with that similar look.

Now for the actual show. Yeah the concept was cool. The first episode set up SOOOO many expectations. It was entertaining for a while, but I dunno it just fell flat, and I thought that even before the romance stuff. I couldn't tell you why exactly because I can't even remember the plot anymore. I do remember liking the brief part where he
goes back into real life
that a lot of people didn't like (at least from what I read)

I didn't really have a problem with Kirito being a Mary Sue. I actually felt like I liked watching a show where I knew the main character was just going to wreck people every time. It was relaxing. A big disappointment I did have though was, well there was very little sense of progression. I really wanted to at least see his skills and stuff developing more in depth, and same thing with showing other characters get stronger, but there was hardly any of that. I mean they got stronger of course, but it seemed really glossed over. I really liked the part where
Kirito got that new sword
though.

and the action in general was basic

those superior season one gifs

season one da bes

that animation 2 on fire

Daemul

Someone probably posted this already in here, but it's so perfect.

No seriously.

Perfect.

I've gone down a rabbit hole of other things done to a Power Rangers intro. I'm not sure where it'll lead me, but I can only imagine it'll be a good place.

Right?

Right.

I'm afraid that you are already lost.

I didn't hate it, but it didn't hold me for more than 12 or so episodes. I don't find the character designs particularly interesting in that show. It's not that it's bad, but like I was saying... SOOOO much anime looks similar. TONS AND TONS AND TONS of anime related fanart I've seen online uses that extremely similar artstyle. I'm just worn out by it. It doesn't capture me anymore. I remember really liking it a LOT when I was in like 6th grade, but it worn down on me.

Like if I saw Sword Art online and there wasn't a freaking monopoly on that style already, then I'd probably adore it. Even though that does have that common anime style, I still find it to be done at least a bit better in that show than most shows with that similar look.

Now for the actual show. Yeah the concept was cool. The first episode set up SOOOO many expectations. It was entertaining for a while, but I dunno it just fell flat, and I thought that even before the romance stuff. I couldn't tell you why exactly because I can't even remember the plot anymore. I do remember liking the brief part where he
goes back into real life
that a lot of people didn't like (at least from what I read)

I didn't really have a problem with Kirito being a Mary Sue. I actually felt like I liked watching a show where I knew the main character was just going to wreck people every time. It was relaxing. A big disappointment I did have though was, well there was very little sense of progression. I really wanted to at least see his skills and stuff developing more in depth, and same thing with showing other characters get stronger, but there was hardly any of that. I mean they got stronger of course, but it seemed really glossed over. I really liked the part where
Kirito got that new sword
though.

that animation 2 on fire

I just thought it was all around awful. It had a cool concept but couldn't deliver on that and failed in all other aspects. I felt the characters were terrible written, with Kirito being the whitest of breads. The romantic aspect was...unbearable. I can't see how anyone could fall in love and be so dependent on Kirito. Honestly, there's an abridged series of SAO that actually gives Kirito a personality.

I just thought it was all around awful. It had a cool concept but couldn't deliver on that and failed in all other aspects. I felt the characters were terrible written, with Kirito being the whitest of breads. The romantic aspect was...unbearable. I can't see how anyone could fall in love and be so dependent on Kirito. Honestly, there's an abridged series of SAO that actually gives Kirito a personality.

"When's the last time you ever heard of someone beating everquest?"

"When's the last time you ever heard of someone playing everquest?"

".......that's fair"

OMG kirito is RUTHELESS at the end of episode 2 LOL "it's simple really..... just open your menu...." DAMNNN that deranged laugh after why are there only 5 episodes

There's no profit in abridged series, so it's not a job. Plus, they take awhile. I know from the experience of following other abridged series. Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Abridged (which is god tier) hasn't had a new episode in at least 3 years.

The 5th episode of SAO Abridged came out within the last year. December, I think.

Book 3 would like to have a word with you.

tumblr_nasm5oQPym1qihroqo1_500.gif

tumblr_naq8hwCTl01t7y8bxo1_500.gif

Nah I agree with you, I think book 3 is the best season entity, it's just that as I was watching season one I was hyped unlike anything else. A lot of that hype disappeared after season 2, and I could never get that disappointment out of my mind while watching season 3. So for me the experience of watching season one is something I recall as being almost entirely very positive.

I binge watched Korra after watching The Last Air Bender when it aired. Oh boy was this a huge drop in quality. The charm tried to be imitated but didn't work that well. The "fun" characters like Bolin weren't even that fun. The chemistry this Team Avatar was supposed to had wasn't there. I guess the writers don't know how to create teenager / adult chemistry that well.

Korra and Asami? That felt shoe horned. I did not see that coming. I figure she would end up single at the end. That was out of left field. I suppose with the series being more forward with its themes than The Last Air Bender this was kind of expected in some way. Just felt there was zero build up besides their friendship.

Season 1, to me, is easily the best. Amon felt threatening. Even though his backstory was more rushed he was better fleshed out than the rest of the villains. Korra training with Tenzin and learning patience was the high light of the series.

Season 2 was all over the place. I didn't like how they explained The Avatar's creation. Like I get it and all but that was disappointing. Wan's episode had amazing animation.

Season 3 felt like filler. It felt like no one learned anything from that season (except lava and metal bending). Some personal relationships are mended and what not but it felt so pointless. Zaheer and the gang have got to be the worst set of bad guys in existence. Their whole philosophy was contradictory to everything they were apart of. I thought it was supposed to be that way but no... they were just badly written. They had cool and unique characters to work with but nothing happens with them. The ball was dropped hard.

Season 4... Toph Beifong and fighting a giant platinum robot that ends in forgiveness and she gives up her conquest to unite the Earth Kingdom (then take over the world) because they share a moment. At least WILL YOU DO THE THING WITH ME FOREVER part was touching. Varrick best character easily. I think he was truly the only character with growth in this series.

I would say it's a very flawed series that lacks the charm of the original. I wouldn't recommend it to fans of the original.

Edit: the announcer dude who recapped previous events each episode shouldn't exist. That was just annoying.

Edit #2: Amon's greatest badass moment is bypassing his brother's blood bending. You know he's G status at that point.

Hamlet

Nah I agree with you, I think book 3 is the best season entity, it's just that as I was watching season one I was hyped unlike anything else. A lot of that hype disappeared after season 2, and I could never get that disappointment out of my mind while watching season 3. So for me the experience of watching season one is something I recall as being almost entirely very positive.

Fair enough and yeah watching Book 1 during it's original run was quite something. That overwhelming hype and positivity. All of the fun and interesting theories about who the hell Amon was. Good times.
I feel though that a lot of the hype definitely came back heading into Book 4 after how good Book 3 was and well you saw how that ended up.
I still enjoyed Book 4 even if it didn't quite live up to the hype/expectations.

Hamlet

just watched the mushroom episode of cowboy bebop

wat

i love this show
Glorious isn't it. Make sure to watch Space Dandy after this if you want to see a whole show centered around that type of insanity.
tumblr_m291x8xYYG1qe1btwo1_500.gif

I binge watched Korra after watching The Last Air Bender when it aired. Oh boy was this a huge drop in quality. The charm tried to be imitated but didn't work that well. The "fun" characters like Bolin weren't even that fun. The chemistry this Team Avatar was supposed to had wasn't there. I guess the writers don't know how to create teenager / adult chemistry that well.

Korra and Asami? That felt shoe horned. I did not see that coming. I figure she would end up single at the end. That was out of left field. I suppose with the series being more forward with its themes than The Last Air Bender this was kind of expected in some way. Just felt there was zero build up besides their friendship.

Season 1, to me, is easily the best. Amon felt threatening. Even though his backstory was more rushed he was better fleshed out than the rest of the villains. Korra training with Tenzin and learning patience was the high light of the series.

Season 2 was all over the place. I didn't like how they explained The Avatar's creation. Like I get it and all but that was disappointing. Wan's episode had amazing animation.

Season 3 felt like filler. It felt like no one learned anything from that season (except lava and metal bending). Some personal relationships are mended and what not but it felt so pointless. Zaheer and the gang have got to be the worst set of bad guys in existence. Their whole philosophy was contradictory to everything they were apart of. I thought it was supposed to be that way but no... they were just badly written. They had cool and unique characters to work with but nothing happens with them. The ball was dropped hard.

Season 4... Toph Beifong and fighting a giant platinum robot that ends in forgiveness and she gives up her conquest to unite the Earth Kingdom (then take over the world) because they share a moment. At least WILL YOU DO THE THING WITH ME FOREVER part was touching. Varrick best character easily. I think he was truly the only character with growth in this series.

I would say it's a very flawed series that lacks the charm of the original. I wouldn't recommend it to fans of the original.

Edit: the announcer dude who recapped previous events each episode shouldn't exist. That was just annoying.

Edit #2: Amon's greatest badass moment is bypassing his brother's blood bending. You know he's G status at that point.
I don't think it's really fair to say that Varrick was the only character with growth in the show. Korra had quite a bit of character growth throughout the shows run. There's a big difference to the Korra in Book 2 to the one that ended the show.
Also don't really understand how you could call Book 3 filler as it's packed full of world changing moments in it that changed the avatar universe. From airbenders coming back into the world, to Zaheer bringing down the Earth Queen and bringing chaos to the Earth Kingdom. Not exactly filler stuff.

Glorious isn't it. Make sure to watch Space Dandy after this if you want to see a whole show centered around that type of insanity.
tumblr_m291x8xYYG1qe1btwo1_500.gif

I don't think it's really fair to say that Varrick was the only character with growth in the show. Korra had quite a bit of character growth throughout the shows run. There's a big difference to the Korra in Book 2 to the one that ended the show.
Also don't really understand how you could call Book 3 filler as it's packed full of world changing moments in it that changed the avatar universe. From airbenders coming back into the world, to Zaheer bringing down the Earth Queen and bringing chaos to the Earth Kingdom. Not exactly filler stuff.

From the end of season 1 to the end of season 4 it's pretty hard to notice any meaningful growth. She's put through the ringer but that's about it: goes through experiences and hardships but in the end still the same girl who learned patience.

Act 3 felt like filter. It's like one of those episodes of X-Files where they do a monster of the week but Scully speaks with Deepthroat for 10 seconds. If you set something up address the issue faster than next season. It's quite evident season 3 and 4 probably were meant to be a single season (as promo suggests) so it may have been bloated to give this filler feel. Which is sad because Zaheer and them could have been great. Sucks they were cogs that create the issue, but then again monsters in X-Files cause personal issues for Mulder and Scully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom