• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still some of you all are taking some really personal beef with Su's shenanigans LOL

Her actions in season 4 were pretty dumb though especially (like most of this fucking series) since most of these issues were never expanded upon and with that lack of info the character actions on a surface level looks pretty damn stupid.

Same with Kuriva's actions and the whole reducation camps plus the "you have failed me" attitude of some crazy person. Then its only near the end they gave some supposed reason for all of this, really? right when the series is fucking ending you pull that shit? especially when it was hardly ever touched upon (we know she was an orphan and Su raised her but what else).

Her and Su's beef also falls in with that same issue by just having surface reasons without much backstory. Maybe show how this caustic relationship became the one it did (she tried to fucking assassinate her for gods sake) and why even after apologizing Su still did not give a fuck and came off as really bitter.

I still some of you all are taking some really personal beef with Su's shenanigans LOL

Her actions in season 4 were pretty dumb though especially (like most of this fucking series) since most of these issues were never expanded upon and with that lack of info the character actions on a surface level looks pretty damn stupid.

Same with Kuriva's actions and the whole reducation camps plus the "you have failed me" attitude of some crazy person. Then its only near the end they gave some supposed reason for all of this, really? right when the series is fucking ending you pull that shit? especially when it was hardly ever touched upon (we know she was an orphan and Su raised her but what else).

Her and Su's beef also falls in with that same issue by just having surface reasons without much backstory. Maybe show how this caustic relationship became the one it did (she tried to fucking assassinate her for gods sake) and why even after apologizing Su still did not give a fuck and came off as kinda bitter.
Suyin Beifong only cares about Suyin Beifong and her family. When they patched it up a bit in Book 3 Su only looked at it as her bolstering her family. She wanted Lin to come there and spend time with her and her family, she didn't entertain the possibility of visiting Lin in Republic City. Maybe her kids would've wanted to go there. She doesn't want to leave Zaofu for the most part. For all we know Su wouldn't have helped rescue the air benders if Opal wasn't one of them. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Su, but she's a really selfish individual.

Who cares if Su only cares about her family and Zaofu? Is it such a bad thing that by patching things up with Lin, she's happy that she has more family and more people close to her? I don't see the problem. She has no obligation to the rest of the world. Family and freedom are important ideals to her, which is why she gets so pissed at Kuvira.

I legitimately do not get the Suyin hate and blaming her for a ton of shit.

Who cares if Su only cares about her family and Zaofu? Is it such a bad thing that by patching things up with Lin, she's happy that she has more family and more people close to her? I don't see the problem. She has no obligation to the rest of the world. Family and freedom are important ideals to her, which is why she gets so pissed at Kuvira.

I legitimately do not get the Suyin hate and blaming her for a ton of shit.
Su is a politician and respected world leader therefore world politics are something she is supposed to care about.

And the Lin victimization even when she had some part *kanyeshrug.jpg*

To be fair she does have some qualities that could be seen as annoying but still lol
Both of them took certain traits of Toph to the extreme level so none of them are perfect. They never tried to reign themselves in to find a better balance to their personality. Only difference being is that Su didn't become a miserable person that would allow her grudges to keep her from being a person that people would want to be with. It took Lin a good portion of her life to find some sort of balance.

Yeah I'm still not getting why you think Su should have played the part of world police. That was Tenzin's job, since he appointed the Air Nation as peacekeepers. Besides, it's not like other nations were doing anything or that Raiko had any good intentions either.

Yeah I'm still not getting why you think Su should have played the part of world police. That was Tenzin's job, since he appointed the Air Nation as peacekeepers. Besides, it's not like other nations were doing anything or that Raiko had any good intentions either.
I've said on a number of occasions that she didn't have to do it personally. I find it more of a problem that she was happy to essentially let the world burn around her. Kuvira could've done it in her stead, but Su not sending some sort of political aid or offering some sort of advice against shit like labor camps and strong arm tactics is what I had a problem with. Imagine Nixon without somebody as politically savvy as Henry Kissinger...granted Nixon knew how to play politics, but you probably get my drift.

I've said on a number of occasions that she didn't have to do it personally. I find it more of a problem that she was happy to essentially let the world burn around her. Kuvira could've done it in her stead, but Su not sending some sort of political aid or offering some sort of advice against shit like labor camps and strong arm tactics is what I had a problem with. Imagine Nixon without somebody as politically savvy as Henry Kissinger...granted Nixon knew how to play politics, but you probably get my drift.

All Su cared about was Zaofu and the people close to her. I genuinely can't fault her for that. She didn't want Kuvira to get involved and didn't think it was right. She didn't think having a monarchy was a good idea to begin with, and as we see throughout the season she isn't exactly wrong on that note. So, why would she advise her? Banishing her from Zaofu was extreme, but not impossible to understand, given how much of a betrayal it was to Su.

"After she proved herself at Ba Sing Se, Raiko and the other world leaders placed the responsibility of stabilizing the Earth Kingdom in her hands."
Now that quote isn't 100% accurate (but it's pretty close), but at that point what was Su to do? She'd already drawn the line between her and Kuvira (for better or worse) and she wanted to make sure Zaofu stayed independent (as it always had). Advising was out of the question, and she obviously isn't going to attack Kuvira because as far she's concerned, the camps are just rumors. In fact, up until Kuvira is about to send Bolin and Varrick to the reeducation camps, we don't know for sure they exist. They're mentioned to just be rumors (though heavily implied to actually exist). So what then? Su goes to travel and investigate these claims? Send her soldiers (what few, if any, she had left) to investigate? That leaves Zaofu open and vulnerable.

Given what we learn about Zaofu after Kuvira bailed, a large chunk of it's cash flow and police force were gone. Su could have tried to attack Kuvira herself preemtively, but then she'd have the brunt of the Earth Empire plus the United Nations bearing down on her. Korra is gone at this time, so that's out of the question. The Air Nation is busy with literally everything else that isn't being handled by Kuvira or the rest of the U.N. Until Kuvira made her threats, there wasn't any reasonable action to be taken at this point.

On top of all that, Kuvira was clearly not to be reasoned with in any capacity. She'd made up her mind and intended to follow through, which she did. That's the whole point of drawing the parallel to Korra, because that's the type of person Korra used to be. So, even if Su had decided "I'll advise to make sure you don't do dumb shit," what makes you think Kuvira would have even listened? Especially since she outright betrayed Su anyways?

Kinvara

tumblr_niuwcaDgdj1u7my0go1_1280.png

tumblr_niuwcaDgdj1u7my0go2_1280.png

tumblr_niuwcaDgdj1u7my0go3_1280.png

dog moms

All Su cared about was Zaofu and the people close to her. I genuinely can't fault her for that. She didn't want Kuvira to get involved and didn't think it was right. She didn't think having a monarchy was a good idea to begin with, and as we see throughout the season she isn't exactly wrong on that note. So, why would she advise her? Banishing her from Zaofu was extreme, but not impossible to understand, given how much of a betrayal it was to Su.

Now that quote isn't 100% accurate (but it's pretty close), but at that point what was Su to do? She'd already drawn the line between her and Kuvira (for better or worse) and she wanted to make sure Zaofu stayed independent (as it always had). Advising was out of the question, and she obviously isn't going to attack Kuvira because as far she's concerned, the camps are just rumors. In fact, up until Kuvira is about to send Bolin and Varrick to the reeducation camps, we don't know for sure they exist. They're mentioned to just be rumors (though heavily implied to actually exist). So what then? Su goes to travel and investigate these claims? Send her soldiers (what few, if any, she had left) to investigate? That leaves Zaofu open and vulnerable.

Given what we learn about Zaofu after Kuvira bailed, a large chunk of it's cash flow and police force were gone. Su could have tried to attack Kuvira herself preemtively, but then she'd have the brunt of the Earth Empire plus the United Nations bearing down on her. Korra is gone at this time, so that's out of the question. The Air Nation is busy with literally everything else that isn't being handled by Kuvira or the rest of the U.N. Until Kuvira made her threats, there wasn't any reasonable action to be taken at this point.

On top of all that, Kuvira was clearly not to be reasoned with in any capacity. She'd made up her mind and intended to follow through, which she did. That's the whole point of drawing the parallel to Korra, because that's the type of person Korra used to be. So, even if Su had decided "I'll advise to make sure you don't do dumb shit," what makes you think Kuvira would have even listened? Especially since she outright betrayed Su anyways?
Yeah what makes the point hard to really argue about is the fact that both Su and Kuvira can be pretty stubborn people. I've mentioned or at least noticed that Kuvira can't be reasoned with or just manipulates the situation to fit her motive so trying to talk her out of labor camps is either impossible or just extensive. I think half of the tension from Su and Kuvira just came from the banishment. They both took the whole thing pretty personally so reasoning with either of those two would've been fucking impossible. Kuvira's pretty much Book 2 Korra without Tenzin but she's way more savvy and comes across better. Kuvira wouldn't try to Jack Bauer you, but she'd definitely Xanatos you though.
*comes back from class*

tumblr_mxwyznfaxF1rbjoeao1_400.gif

well then
I swear BKatastrophe and I have this discussion bi monthly.

Yeah what makes the point hard to really argue about is the fact that both Su and Kuvira can be pretty stubborn people. I've mentioned or at least noticed that Kuvira can't be reasoned with or just manipulates the situation to fit her motive so trying to talk her out of labor camps is either impossible or just extensive. I think half of the tension from Su and Kuvira just came from the banishment. They both took the whole thing pretty personally so reasoning with either of those two would've been fucking impossible. Kuvira's pretty much Book 2 Korra without Tenzin but she's way more savvy and comes across better. Kuvira wouldn't try to Jack Bauer you, but she'd definitely Xanatos you though.

I swear BKatastrophe and I have this discussion bi monthly.

I'd rather do this every couple of weeks than stare at weird ass fan art again and again. It's not even a frustrating discussion. I'm literally just ok with this.

I'd rather do this every couple of weeks than stare at weird ass fan art again and again. It's not even a frustrating discussion. I'm literally just ok with this.
Ok. Nice to know I'm not the Char Aznable to your Amuro Ray and you don't hate me for these discussions. I just find it funny how this is so far the third time we've had this discussion. We just have two very different takes on that scenario. I see it as something Su could've tried to fix if she wanted to and you just think it was pretty much always going to end up the way it did. Granted I think if it was anybody but Su and Kuvira it could've worked out a lot better. Once you get Su and Kuvira in the same room it's nothing more than like a verbal catfight between two rival cheerleaders.
I can't talk about Naga, because then I'm reminded of how KORRA DIDN'T TAKE HER WITH WHEN SHE WAS GOING OFF ALONE. NAGA IS LITERALLY YOUR BEST FRIEND. FUCK YOU.

tumblr_ngdxvckhcC1sortl3o1_500.gif

I swear I've had a discussion with someone either on here or on Facebook about how Aang would've never pulled that shit on Appa. It was...long...most likely Facebook.

tumblr_niudne8URN1ro0n55o1_540.png

I still love this Z-team pic they showed at the 2014 SDCC, Ming-Hua going crazy on the drums always manages to make me laugh

I can't talk about Naga, because then I'm reminded of how KORRA DIDN'T TAKE HER WITH WHEN SHE WAS GOING OFF ALONE. NAGA IS LITERALLY YOUR BEST FRIEND. FUCK YOU.

tumblr_ngdxvckhcC1sortl3o1_500.gif

uX9JCex.gif

hmm.

omg she didn't!!!!

that monster!!!

Ok. Nice to know I'm not the Char Aznable to your Amuro Ray and you don't hate me for these discussions. I just find it funny how this is so far the third time we've had this discussion. We just have two very different takes on that scenario. I see it as something Su could've tried to fix if she wanted to and you just think it was pretty much always going to end up the way it did. Granted I think if it was anybody but Su and Kuvira it could've worked out a lot better. Once you get Su and Kuvira in the same room it's nothing more than like a verbal catfight between two rival cheerleaders.
I don't think I've ever gotten genuinely pissed off during a discussion on here. Aside from somethings I saw in that other thread (the "Legend of Korra is the best show ever" thread) like "This series is complete and utter shit, but it's okay if you like it," but that kind of thing pops up in other threads, too. It makes me mad because it's the most backhanded thing to say. It's like saying "It's okay to have your opinion, even though it's complete garbage."

I don't think I've ever gotten genuinely pissed off during a discussion on here. Aside from somethings I saw in that other thread (the "Legend of Korra is the best show ever" thread) like "This series is complete and utter shit, but it's okay if you like it," but that kind of thing pops up in other threads, too. It makes me mad because it's the most backhanded thing to say. It's like saying "It's okay to have your opinion, even though it's complete garbage."
Funny thing is those people act like we hate the show on here cause...well most of us don't since we look for fanfics, pervy fan art, either own the dvd's, blu rays and/or art books for the show. We just look at it and discuss it's numerous flaws while also discussing what we liked, it's honestly just an intelligent discussion. I've never gotten the feeling that anybody on here hates the show, we just criticize it.

Kinvara

I agree.

I don't think I ever call shows "garbage" unless they're racist, sexist, etc.

Funny thing is those people act like we hate the show on here cause...well most of us don't since we look for fanfics, pervy fan art, either own the dvd's, blu rays and/or art books for the show. We just look at it and discuss it's numerous flaws while also discussing what we liked, it's honestly just an intelligent discussion. I've never gotten the feeling that anybody on here hates the show, we just criticize it.
I agree, but I feel like some people try and make it an objective matter. Like, wasted potential always bothers me especially. Because, that potential might be there, but it doesn't mean it's necessarily wasted. As long as the initial idea serves its purpose, it's fine. Only time that irritated me with this show is with the Equalist movement, but not because it isn't prevalent throughout the series, but because it doesn't feel like Korra gained anything from that event. It served it's job as a backdrop and plot point, but lacked impact.
I agree.

I don't think I ever call shows "garbage" unless they're racist, sexist, etc.
I've only called a couple shows garbage: Birds of Prey and Sword Art Online.

I couldn't even get through the first episode of SAO before I threw it to the bushes. I only checked for it because it was the most popular show on Crunchyroll so I wanted to see what the hype was about.. never again.

I agree, but I feel like some people try and make it an objective matter. Like, wasted potential always bothers me especially. Because, that potential might be there, but it doesn't mean it's necessarily wasted. As long as the initial idea serves its purpose, it's fine. Only time that irritated me with this show is with the Equalist movement, but not because it isn't prevalent throughout the series, but because it doesn't feel like Korra gained anything from that event. It served it's job as a backdrop and plot point, but lacked impact.

I've only called a couple shows garbage: Birds of Prey and Sword Art Online.
You should go watch Cleopatra 2525 it's god tier shit.
Cleopatra 2525 Intro
What the fuck was Gina Torres doing in this?
I couldn't even get through the first episode of SAO before I threw it to the bushes. I only checked for it because it was the most popular show on Crunchyroll so I wanted to see what the hype was about.. never again.
Is it worse than Freezing? I watched one ep of that and started watching Jojo, Banshee and Gundam afterwards.

I heard that SAO started off promising but went to harem/incest/tentacle trash pretty quickly.

Can you confirm/deny?

It starts off with a cool concept, but ends up riddled with plotholes, bland characters, incest, and rape. To say it's a harem is a discredit to that genre, since in those characters are at least quirky and developed (even though it's a stupid fucking genre overall). The romance is bland as fuck, and yes there are tentacles and yes, those tentacles do some raping.

If you want a show with a similar overall structure to TLoK though (in terms of arc structure and focus on action and romance), SAO is right up your alley.

I felt depressed after watching this series, with only a simultaneous viewing of Big O with my friends to stifle it. And then one of my friends borrowed me a delightful anime by the name of Dokkoida!, which is incredibly heartwarming and fun.

Only reason I watched it in the first place is because a bunch of kids I worked with at the time loved it and said it was better than Soul Eater (knowing full well it's one of my favorites). I told them I'd watch it and shit talk it regardless of whether or not I liked it. I ended up hating it.

You should go watch Cleopatra 2525 it's god tier shit.
Cleopatra 2525 Intro
What the fuck was Gina Torres doing in this?

Is it worse than Freezing? I watched one ep of that and started watching Jojo, Banshee and Gundam afterwards.

Idk, Freezing acted as my background TV sound while I was on the computer. What little I saw of it seemed horrible.

And what in the blue hell was that video you linked?! C'mon Gina, I've been thirsting you ever since I saw you in the Matrix, then Firefly... and can't see you doing cabbage like that.

Daemul

We really need to talk to Veelk about his massive OP's. His latest one in Gaming side is enormous, nearly 25k characters long

pm9oNjh.gif

It made for good reading on the train back home from work though.

Idk, Freezing acted as my background TV sound while I was on the computer. What little I saw of it seemed horrible.

And what in the blue hell was that video you linked?! C'mon Gina, I've been thirsting you ever since I saw you in the Matrix, then Firefly... and can't see you doing cabbage like that.
In her defense Cleopatra 2525 was before she was famous and married to Morpheus.
Wiki for shit show I was 15 when it came out and I thought it was shit then.

360pages

Also, Medaka box is alight if you looking for female leads in actions series. (Imagine a lead similar to Korra, but they poke fun at the fact that she is literally the strongest and most important person in the world)

Kinvara

It starts off with a cool concept, but ends up riddled with plotholes, bland characters, incest, and rape. To say it's a harem is a discredit to that genre, since in those characters are at least quirky and developed (even though it's a stupid fucking genre overall). The romance is bland as fuck, and yes there are tentacles and yes, those tentacles do some raping.

If you want a show with a similar overall structure to TLoK though (in terms of arc structure and focus on action and romance), SAO is right up your alley.

Nonononono

I appreciate anything from slice-of-life to horror but incest/tentacle-rape is so not cool.

I hate how certain anime use gross tropes like that in order to appeal to otaku basement-dwellers. It's super messed up.

We really need to talk to Veelk about his massive OP's. His latest one in Gaming side is enormous, nearly 25k characters long

pm9oNjh.gif

It made for good reading on the train back home from work though.
I might be too hungry to read his big ass post currently, burned too many calories shoveling.
Nonononono

I appreciate anything from slice-of-life to horror but incest/tentacle-rape is so not cool.

I hate how certain anime use gross tropes like that in order to appeal to otaku basement-dwellers. It's super messed up.

Would you recommend Blood C?

Nonononono

Apparently even the original creator thinks it was super stupid. And he wrote it! If someone re-did the first arc of that series and made it an adventure series with over 100 episodes, it would probably be good (note that the first arc lacks the incest and rape and is pretty innocent with some fairly shitty story-telling).

360pages

I might be too hungry to read his big ass post currently, burned too many calories shoveling.

Would you recommend Blood C?

Hell fucking no. Blood C is garbage, the first half nothing happens then the writers realized this and made the most heavy gore in a while to get peoples attention.

I mean, I unironically enjoy Power Rangers (except Operation Overdrive, Turbo, and Wild Force). I'm currently watching Samurai and legitimately enjoying every facet of it.
tumblr_lt1dhdnjXh1qal3lwo2_400.gif

Trust me when I say it takes a lot for me to despise a show. I'm very laid back in this area.

360pages

I don't get the fate/zero recommendations. it's such a strange and nonsensical show. I still don't know what happened in that show.

HuhI thought it was really easy to follow, sure it shifted perspectives a lot. But outside the ending I thought it was pretty straight forward.

Though I noticed that those who liked Fate/Zero, hate Stay Night and vise versa. Since Stay Night is a far more liner story outside of EP0. So if you didn't like Zero, you will probably enjoy Stay Night.

JoJo, Fate/Zero and Stay Night or Medaka Box are my reco for those you liked Korra.
I second Jojo. Part 1 is fun for Dio, Part 2 is awesome and Part 3 starts off weird, but the second part of that is getting better and it still has some pretty fun fights. Fun characters too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom