• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
So fucking cool.

tumblr_n2nu889dkO1tqsg3uo6_250.gif

I don't get the fate/zero recommendations. it's such a strange and nonsensical show. I still don't know what happened in that show.

I was able to follow until the end. Had to read what exactly happened. I mean, I guess it's a prequel of a visual novel so might have been hard to execute.

Still, the show takes itself very seriously and as a result the action is amazing.

Veelk

Banned
We really need to talk to Veelk about his massive OP's. His latest one in Gaming side is enormous, nearly 25k characters long

It made for good reading on the train back home from work though.

Then what are you complaining about?

I had to cut that one down though, since I was breaking the character limit.

I might be too hungry to read his big ass post currently, burned too many calories shoveling.

If it helps, I'm being uncharacteristically positive in that thread.

orochi91

Finished watching Season 2.

That was brilliant, though incredibly bittersweet; if I have understood this correctly, the Avatar cycle has completely reset.

10,000 years of Avatars/knowledge is now lost D:

This entire season was fantastic due to lore overload; seriously, it was incredible.
That Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki inspired Avatar origin arc was beautifully executed.

Korra continues to impress me as a character, same with Tenzin's development throughout the season.

One thing I'm confused about is what exactly Jinorah did. Will Season 3/4 answers that?

One thing I absolutely hated: Lin's character was completely tossed aside and butchered. That needs to be rectified going forward.

That was brilliant, though incredibly bittersweet; if I have understood this correctly, the Avatar cycle has completely reset.

This entire season was fantastic due to lore overload; seriously, it was incredible.
That Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki inspired Avatar origin arc was beautifully executed.

Korra continues to impress me as a character, same with Tenzin's development throughout the season.

One thing I'm confused about is what exactly Jinorah did. Will Season 3/4 answers that?

One thing I absolutely hated: Lin's character was completely tossed aside and butchered. That needs to be rectified going forward.

Whatever you think happened, happened.

Seriously. That's canon.

Jinorah did not gather the pieces of Raava in order to restore her. That's the only part of that scenario that actually has a confirmation.

My theory is that she basically made a Spirit Bomb and then used it to revitalize Raava. There will never be a confirmation on it. Never.

Wow.... this is literally the most glowing review of Book 2 I've read. Glad you enjoyed it, most people would have said the opposite.

Jinora... well, whatever you come up with, that's what she did. (literally, writers couldn't tell you either)

Many people were upset that Lin was tossed aside in this book, but fear not... Book 3 will rectify that.

orochi91

Whatever you think happened, happened.

Seriously. That's canon.

There are probably hints somewhere in the season that would explain it; will have to re-watch it later.

She's clearly spiritually gifted, and was able to reveal/guide Korra to the existence of Raava in Vaatu.

Wow.... this is literally the most glowing review of Book 2 I've read. Glad you enjoyed it, most people would have said the opposite.

I can see why people would have issue with Korra's early characterization, but I felt her actions were justified given the way her father and Tenzin conspired to keep her in the compounds.
Her uncle showing up and defeating the spirits that took down Tenzin and Tonraq naturally pushed her closer to her uncle (Tenzin was pretty ineffective as a spiritual guide lol).

Her lashing out at Mako in the police office was also understandable given the situation she was in (her people in Civil War/no help from the UN forces).
If anything, it reminded me a bit of the Israeli/Palestinian issue in some ways; people can be irrational given the circumstances :/

It was notable how she mellowed out after her glimpse into Wan's life and his struggles as the Avatar; it felt like she matured after that.

Season Two is well done.

I also enjoyed Book 2 quite a bit. More than Book 4, for sure.

There are probably hints somewhere in the season that would explain it; will have to re-watch it later.

She's clearly spiritually gifted, and was able to reveal/guide Korra to the existence of Raava in Vaatu.

The writers confirmed they have no idea what's going on, just that she isn't gathering the pieces of Raava and reassembling her.

Hamlet

Yeah that's Mike's theory for what happened.

Mike: “To me, I always thought Jinora, I saw some different theories that people had of what Jinora was doing, and the truth is, I don’t know exactly what she was doing. The idea is that she did gather some sort of spiritual energy that helped trigger the tiny, little sliver of Raava that was left in Unavaatu.”

Bryan: “She was kind of like a vehicle. She delivered it from the Spirit World and it kind of resuscitated Raava as this little heartbeat”.

Mike: “Yeah. But she wasn’t like gathering pieces of Raava and reformed her or something…But it’s open to interpretation…We wanted to tie in, all season Korra and Jinora’s spiritual journeys we paralleled and to have them combine in the end in a cool way was the goal.”

Glad you liked Book 2 though. I enjoyed it quite a lot even with it's flaws.

This whole scene is actually one of my favorites

tumblr_mtsw3zFY5p1rogcuio1_500.gif

Although a lot of people thought it was just her going overboard with her unlikable personality at the time, I thought it was a cool scene tbh she was puttin in WORK

Whelp, let's stop the buck at the Jinora thing. orochi91's surprising (to me at least) positive reaction to Season 2 is really something special. Not the Toa kind. It'll interesting to hear what orochi's reaction is to Season 4 due its near opposite in terms of load compared to Season 2.

orochi91

Although a lot of people thought it was just her going overboard with her unlikable personality at the time, I thought it was a cool scene tbh she was puttin in WORK

That entire sequence was surprising because, realistically, I probably would have done something similar given the circumstances.

Korra being the polar opposite of pacifists like Aang is refreshing.

Hamlet

I also enjoyed Book 2 quite a bit. More than Book 4, for sure.

The writers confirmed they have no idea what's going on, just that she isn't gathering the pieces of Raava and reassembling her.

Same here as there's still a lot of fun to get out of Book 2 despite its flaws. It has some of the highest points in the series and also some of the worst.
I really do love just how vibrant and colourful they made the spirit world for Book 2.

That entire sequence was surprising because, realistically, I probably would have done something similar given the circumstances.

Korra being the polar opposite of pacifists like Aang is refreshing.

Yes that's a big reason I loved it.

Book 2 also brought us some gorgeous gifs

tumblr_mq782zgwqP1rkmepyo2_500.gif

tumblr_mq782zgwqP1rkmepyo1_500.gif

tumblr_mq78wnNxeb1rcv38bo2_500.gif

ok i can't find all the gifs i want to find right now but i've seen them and they are good

orochi91

It'll interesting to hear what orochi's reaction is to Season 4 due its near opposite in terms of load compared to Season 2.

Hoping to finish off the series sometime mid-February.

Given the events of Season 2, there's so much to think about.

Same here as there's still a lot of fun to get out of Book 2 despite its flaws. It has some of the highest points in the series and also some of the worst.
I really do love just how vibrant and colourful they made the spirit world for Book 2.

It's great that they dedicated an entire season to the Spirit world because of its significance to the Avatar universe.

ATLA provided some glimpses, but the Fire Nation/Zuko/Comet/war didn't really provide an opportunity to delve further into the lore.

I know that every time I talk about the death of western animation people usually recommend an apparently highly regarded anime, but do you think I am being unreasonable if I say that practically no Japanese anime can hold my attention for a long time so I don't bother with the medium? Don't want to turn this into an anti-anime thread but I was just wondering if I am being unreasonable here.

orochi91

Yes that's a big reason I loved it.

Book 2 also brought us some gorgeous gifs

tumblr_mq782zgwqP1rkmepyo2_500.gif

tumblr_mq782zgwqP1rkmepyo1_500.gif

tumblr_mq78wnNxeb1rcv38bo2_500.gif

The animation quality of this series makes me seriously wish they remaster ATLA.

Thank fuck I have access to the Blu Ray versions of LoK.

Everything is so gorgeous in 1080p on a big ass TV :'D

orochi91

I know that every time I talk about the death of western animation people usually recommend an apparently highly regarded anime, but do you think I am being unreasonable if I say that practically no Japanese anime can hold my attention for a long time so I don't bother with the medium? Don't want to turn this into an anti-anime thread but I was just wondering if I am being unreasonable here.

It's probably the language barrier that's detracting from your Anime experience.

I'm used to reading subtitles for many foreign shows, so it doesn't bother me.

But watching LoK is an experience in itself.

It's so gorgeous and detailed that I wouldn't really want to be distracted by subtitles.

Then again, I don't watch much western animation to begin with because I find them visually lacking.

Book 3 gives us even better gifs so be prepared.

My eyeballs will be well rested.

I hear it's the best Season; excited as hell.

LoK gotta lotta flash. It's somewhat of a guilty pleasure because it makes me enjoy watching it over ATLA (even though I think ATLA was a lot better written)

Season 3 finale of LoK I think is legitamately better than anything from ATLA though, but not many people hold that opinion and I don't want to overhype it for you, hence this disclaimer.

orochi91

I seriously hope not.

Remaster, not remake.

Though I wouldn't say no to a remake of ATLA with an older cast :3

I bet Aang's character development would be totally different if he were old enough to grasp the severity of the genocide committed against his people.

Dude would be a traumatized/emotionally unbalanced Avatar.

Hamlet

The animation quality of this series makes me seriously wish they remaster ATLA.

Thank fuck I have access to the Blu Ray versions of LoK.

Everything is so gorgeous in 1080p on a big ass TV :'D

I'd just be happy with an ATLA bluray even if it's just an upscale. The video quality for the ATLA's dvds are pretty atrocious at times.

Eh if they were going to make that kind of effort, I'd rather them just do a new series.
Dibs on a Red Lotus prequel.

It's probably the language barrier that's detracting from your Anime experience.

I'm used to reading subtitles for many foreign shows, so it doesn't bother me.

But watching LoK is an experience in itself.

It's so gorgeous and detailed that I wouldn't really want to be distracted by subtitles.

Then again, I don't watch much western animation to begin with because I find them visually lacking.
Eh, I've watched many shows with subtitles and ended up liking them, I honestly think it may have to do with the art style or general plot that encompasses Japanese shows. I don't know, different culture so I can't really judge.

I do agree on the last part though, western animation is usually overly simple with some exceptions being young justice and DC animation in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom