• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamlet

Alan Sepinwall's thoughts about Avatar and Korra

One other thing: we were still playing catch-up on "Korra" season 3 when the series concluded in December, but I caught enough of what was being discussed on social media to gather that the finale made Korra and her friend (and former romantic rival) Asami into a couple. As a result, I went into the final season looking for hints of that, and they were indeed there, as the creators insisted in their elegant blog posts (one by Bryan Konietzko, one by Michael Dante DiMartino) explaining why they went in that direction with their relationship. In those posts, they also acknowledge that the nature of the show meant that the revelation had to be done in an implicit rather than explicit way, but the whole thing was set up well — with more grace, frankly, than some of the franchise's other romances, which could at times feel rushed and/or odd(***) — and very much fit the series' themes of change and growth and needing time to figure out who you truly are and what you care about.

And they were quite young actually...I'd say 7-8. Of course, this was around season 1 so who knows.

Makes sense. Korra was a massive hit with both adults and kids during season 1, when it that nice Saturday morning timeslot.

Hamlet

Ok... I'm officially bored. Someone give me a list of anime, preferably similar to this show that I should watch.

What have you watched before? If you haven't watched Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood that would be a good one to start with and I believe its up on Netflix.
Berserk also is quite good if far far more violent than Korra heh.

What have you watched before? If you haven't watched Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood that would be a good one to start with and I believe its up on Netflix.

FMA:B is a really good choice for fans of the Avatar franchise. Very similar kind of series.

360pages

Never watch Fate/Stay Night. Fate/Zero is the one worth watching.

Eh...some people like Fate/Zero more, and others like Stay Night. Stay Night is a very different story than Zero, and some people could very easily be put off by Zero's really dark nature.

I like both of them for different reasons though.

FMA:B isn't on Netflix :(

FMA is though...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well you recommended Fate/Zero which was dumb all the way through...

watch GTO (english dub)

A bit different then something that is trying to be lofty and failing at it.
Pyscho Pass tried to do that is pre-crime a bad thing; is the Sybil System evil thing and no only did it answer its own question it did so in the first episode.

Fate/Zero certainly leans way too far on the pointlessly edgy and can be rather convoluted at time but it has a better cast then Stay Night.

SystemBug

A bit different then something that is trying to be lofty and failing at it.
Pyscho Pass tried to do that is pre-crime a bad thing; is the Sybil System evil thing and no only did it answer its own question it did so in the first episode.

Fate/Zero certainly leans way too far on the pointlessly edgy and can be rather convoluted at time but it has a better cast then Stay Night.
Yeah it ended up answering it's own questions but atleast the ride was good. Fate/Zero would have been a better anime if the only cast members were Iskander and his master. So much sexual tension

360pages

What didn't you like about Fate/Zero outside it's ending? Sure everyone was an ass, but outside of that the characters play off of one another and everyone learns something from one another, even if they don't realize that before they die.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yeah it ended up answering it's own questions but atleast the ride was good. Fate/Zero would have been a better anime if the only cast members were Iskander and his master. So much sexual tension

See, I couldn't enjoy the ride because people hyped this fucking thing as some great new thriller of anime and it goes and insults my intelligence. The adage "In for a penny, in for a pound" as written for situations like Pyscho-Pass threw at us.

I can agree to that on Fate Zero at least.

SystemBug

What didn't you like about Fate/Zero outside it's ending? Sure everyone was an ass, but outside of that the characters play off of one another and everyone learns something from one another, even if they don't realize that before they die.

I just felt like it was going for shock value more than anything else. Some of the characters' motivations just didn't make sense. I felt like it was cold for no real reason.

360pages

I just felt like it was going for shock value more than anything else. Some of the characters' motivations just didn't make sense. I felt like it was cold for no real reason.

Fate/Stay Night is very, different. Far more lighter. (It still has its dark moments) But as a result some people dislike it compared to the serious nature and dark tones that Zero had.

Which really goes back to, if you dislike Zero, people probably would like Stay Night more and the same with the reverse.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Fate/Stay Night is very, different. Far more lighter. (It still has its dark moments) But as a result some people dislike it compared to the serious nature and dark tones that Zero had.

Which really goes back to, if you dislike Zero, people probably would like Stay Night more and the same with the reverse.

Unlimited Blade Works in particular shifts the tone to be more like Zero.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Really? I thought Unlimited Blade Works was the lightest in tone compared to the other routes...now Heaven's Feel...woof, that is the master of edge.

I think it mostly has to do with how UBW was done by the same people who did Zero. It may not have had the edge but it felt and looked like Zero alright.

360pages

I think it mostly has to do with how UBW was done by the same people who did Zero. It may not have had the edge but it felt and looked like Zero alright.

I think that works, but I do actually think he lighter tone works for the Stay Night, Shiro isn't like his dad. He believes in his ideals even if they are impossible to achieve. Though saying anymore would be a huge spoiler...

Hamlet

FMA:B isn't on Netflix :(

FMA is though...

Well that sucks and looks like they only removed it recently also.
Time to start watching Black Lagoon or Rage of Bahamut: Genesis then.

fedora_by_aims773-d81r6yv.gif

Lethe82

Banned
I accidentally watched a video of FMA when some guy named Mustang fought some busty chick named lust or something, at the scene opened with the guy having a halo of light around him while he proclaimed his love for big boobs. Complete with boob shots and 'boing' sound effects at the outset.

I don't think I'll be getting into Full Metal Alchemist.

Hamlet

tumblr_nizz0ba3k61turexqo1_400.gif

3zNOoQS.gif

I accidentally watched a video of FMA when some guy named Mustang fought some busty chick named lust or something, at the scene opened with the guy having a halo of light around him while he proclaimed his love for big boobs. Complete with boob shots and 'boing' sound effects at the outset.

I don't think I'll be getting into Full Metal Alchemist.

Lol you somehow managed to watch one of only two fanservice scenes in the series. There's barely any fanservice at all in the show.

SystemBug

Lol you somehow managed to watch one of only two fanservice scenes in the series. There's barely any fanservice at all in the show.

Hamlet's right. There is barely any fan-servicy moments in FMA B.

I'm also watching Barakamon right now. It's pretty darn good

Lethe82

Banned
So I just realized a motivation that Kuvira would have had for killing Korra when they first fought (y'know, when she was going to behead her).

The Avatar would have been reborn as an earth bender educated under her empire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom