• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor Kuvira, she was doomed from the beginning.

tumblr_njc9ue0dIR1sgp36no1_r2_500.png

hana-designs

And now look where she's at.... *hops on ship* sets gear to eat it Toa overdrive.

(rin-trash )

Trey

Azula/Mononoke is banned again (presumably by his own volition) and Omikaru is MIA

hold me GAF

there's some person in gaming side called Lucina that's claiming she's his fiance. That the Azula account is banned while he convalesces and deals with things.

It's all up to Omikaru I suppose.

Omikaru better get on it. If we don't see new OT by the 21st then I'm going BCT mode and making one. All that's going to be in the OP is Kuvira and Tyzula ships.

Veelk

Banned
Not even Legend of Korra deserves to be sullied by contact with that....that thing. That franchise that went more wrong than any I've ever seen. Pretty art though.

Lethe82

Banned
Not even Legend of Korra deserves to be sullied by contact with that....that thing. That franchise that went more wrong than any I've ever seen. Pretty art though.

The sad part is that among the Naruto strong holds there is quite the anti Korra/Avatar sentiment.

They probably feel threatened.

That's not what I got at all from the original series and definitely not what was intended by the writers.

The avatar concept has always been inspired by the dalai lama who is the physical manifestation of the divine spirit of compassion and light (Avalokiteśvara). The deity refused to ascend to nirvana until all sentient beings were free from suffering and instead chose to be reincarnated in order to teach humanity these divine values.

Look at all this:

Source

Aang is quite literally the dalai lama.

If anything the Spirit of the Planet thing is a cursory/poor application of the buddhist/dalai lama concept and once the creators reworked and did more research they realized it as such and dropped it.

This time a billion. Well put.

Now, a lot of these ships come from left field.

But this one, you had to run all the way off the field, hop in the taxi, drive to the Kennedy Space Station, pay the fare, go to the launch ramp, get turned back because you aren't qualified, go to school for 8 years, train in zero gravity for another six months, come back, enter the space shuttle, take off, dock at the International Space Station, walk in, take a left, grab it, leave, undock, re-enter atmo, land, catch the next greyhound,come back to the stadium, draw it then wait for Feenix to post it.

Now, a lot of these ships come from left field.

But this one, you had to run all the way off the field, hop in the taxi, drive to the Kennedy Space Station, pay the fare, go to the launch ramp, get turned back because you aren't qualified, go to school for 8 years, train in zero gravity for another six months, come back, enter the space shuttle, take off, dock at the International Space Station, walk in, take a left, grab it, leave, undock, re-enter atmo, land, catch the next greyhound,come back to the stadium, draw it then wait for Feenix to post it.
This is like some Interstellar shit. Cooper Dat you?

360pages

I will say despite all the shit Naruto Part 2 put me though, I overall liked the ending more than Korra's ending. Mostly because it gave closure to ALMOST everyone.

I like this.

Also, with all the shipping talk, I don't mind shipping. It's when people ship shit that isn't likely.

Like, Korrasami shipping post-Change, I was on board with. Pre-Change? I would have told people shipping that to immediately go fuck themselves and that they're crazy. Funny world? Still I don't get involved in shipping wars and shit. Only time I have is with the Buffyverse
Spuffy shippers are psychotic beings who will never be able to convince me of that relationship being even remotely healthy. It never should have started and it was good that it ended

I like this.

Also, with all the shipping talk, I don't mind shipping. It's when people ship shit that isn't likely.

Like, Korrasami shipping post-Change, I was on board with. Pre-Change? I would have told people shipping that to immediately go fuck themselves and that they're crazy. Funny world? Still I don't get involved in shipping wars and shit. Only time I have is with the Buffyverse
Spuffy shippers are psychotic beings who will never be able to convince me of that relationship being even remotely healthy. It never should have started and it was good that it ended
It was love hate masochistic bullshit. My two fave ships from that universe are Angel x Kate and Angel x Faith.

Veelk

Banned
Shipping is best used not when it's likely (because what is the point of fanfiction it's strictly adhering to the original material anyway), but when they can make intersting situations out of it.

For example, I find Aang and Azula to be an interesting pairing because of the opposite dynamics of them. Azula at the end of the show is badly emotionally hurt, and Aang is the all loving hero. They're antithetical to one another, and anyway if anyone can help azula, it's someone who shows unconditional love and forgiveness to people around him. I openly agree that it's unlikely anything would happen, but I think they'd make for interesting interactions, they just didn't get to in the show because the story didn't have them in any non-combative situations.

The only shipping I hate is when people INSIST that these two characters (whether it is likely in canon or not) MUST be together.

It was love hate masochistic bullshit. My two fave ships from that universe are Angel x Kate and Angel x Faith.
The whole thing was dumb. Made S6 very...uncomfortable.

Faith wasn't Angel's type, bro. She needed to be blonde. Plus, I'd have been pissed if my Faith and Angel got together. I liked them too much as redemption/battle buddies.

Shipping is best used not when it's likely (because what is the point of fanfiction it's strictly adhering to the original material anyway), but when they can make intersting situations out of it.

For example, I find Aang and Azula to be an interesting pairing because of the opposite dynamics of them. Azula at the end of the show is badly emotionally hurt, and Aang is the all loving hero. They're antithetical to one another, and anyway if anyone can help azula, it's someone who shows unconditional love and forgiveness to people around him. I openly agree that it's unlikely anything would happen, but I think they'd make for interesting interactions, they just didn't get to in the show because the story didn't have them in any non-combative situations.

The only shipping I hate is when people INSIST that these two characters (whether it is likely in canon or not) MUST be together.
As interesting as the Aang and Azula relationship may be, it's unlikelihood is exactly why I think it's dumb.

Veelk

Banned
As interesting as the Aang and Azula relationship may be, it's unlikelihood is exactly why I think it's dumb.

The only reason it's unlikely is because it was written to be that way. That's the entire point of fanfiction, to create more stories where the original could not. I don't understand what the point of fan work is otherwise. I mean, how likely is it that Kuvira had a close relationship with Suyin as a child. Not very, given what we've seen. But the comics drawn are good because they depict something that deepens the relationship they have besides whats shown in the TV show.

Bah. I don't have time today to get into another back and forth. Think as you will, I just don't see the point of that particular philosophy.

The whole thing was dumb. Made S6 very...uncomfortable.

Faith wasn't Angel's type, bro. She needed to be blonde. Plus, I'd have been pissed if my Faith and Angel got together. I liked them too much as redemption/battle buddies.

That's why Kate was the best for him. Angel loves his blondes and Elisabeth Rohm is one hot ass blonde.
Dat older woman thirst.

Kinvara

I like this.

What's wrong with shipping an unlikely ship? For gay people, it's a way for them to engage in a story in a way that sees themselves represented. Sometimes it's just a fun, alternate take on the story.

The problems are people that get way too invested in shipping and attack others who ship competing pairings.

I totally do not support incest and other abusive shippings. That stuff is gross.

I would have thought you knew me well enough by now to know how much significance I give to write's intentions.

Besides, the avatar isn't the Dalai lama, and nothing in the show is said about being a spirit of compassion, and it's job isn't even to help free people from suffering. Yang Chen didn't say that Aang doesn't ascend because he reached enlightenment and the world needed to be taught how to remove suffering, but that he couldn't reach enlightenment so that he could still understand other, normal human beings. While a lot of that might apply to Aang, that doesn't apply to the other avatars, especially Korra. So all that is obviously not inherent to being the avatar. All they really took is the reincarnation thing + choosing of toys and some names. And maybe a few other things I'm missing, but it's clearly not the same figure.

The planet explanation makes much more sense with what they put out, regardless of what the writers 'intended'. Until LoK came along, but LoK ruins everything, so it's hardly any surprise this happened anyway.

The planet explanation makes no sense as the Avatar's purpose and duty is tied to humanity- not to the planet. This is Yangchen's quote:

Yangchen said:
By feeling all these emotions, it helps you understand how precious human life is ... so you will do anything to protect it. If you were an all powerful spirit living on the top of some mountain, you wouldn't have much in common with an ordinary person. So the Avatar continues to take human rebirth. [Kuruk, Kyoshi, and Roku appear behind her.] And with each life, learns what it means to be human.

The avatar exists to teach humans to stop being shitty to each other and make sure they all live in harmony- same as the dalai lama.

I kinda see where Veelk is coming from in regards to ships and fanfics. Take Korrasami for example... I love the fanart and what not but for the life of me can't read a fic about them. I started the series after it ended so I missed out on reading those fics before it was canon, but now I just can't, it's just seems... well "boring".

I tend to gravitate towards fics where though I know they won't be together, they do have some sort of history and not just two random people thrown together. That's why I ship Linzin, Kor/Su/Opalvira (poor Kuv just gets passed around in my head, lol) , I just spent a good part of the day reading a whole bunch of Linorra fics. That's the beauty of fandom in general.

I refuse to ship Baavira, and not for the reason I just listed.... he's a fuckin simp, ugh!!

get it girl

rin-trash

I kinda see where Veelk is coming from in regards to ships and fanfics. Take Korrasami for example... I love the fanart and what not but for the life of me can't read a fic about them. I started the series after it ended so I missed out on reading those fics before it was canon, but now I just can't, it's just seems... well "boring".

I tend to gravitate towards fics where though I know they won't be together, they do have some sort of history and not just two random people thrown together. That's why I ship Linzin, Kor/Su/Opalvira (poor Kuv just gets passed around in my head, lol) , I just spent a good part of the day reading a whole bunch of Linorra fics. That's the beauty of fandom in general.

I refuse to ship Baavira, and not for the reason I just listed.... he's a fuckin simp, ugh!!
Kuvira with any female is a worthwhile ship. In my veins and all that shit.

Kuvira with any female is a worthwhile ship. In my veins and all that shit.

Lol... I have trouble shipping her with Lin (love the pics tho) and Asami (you know... the whole killing her father thing, fanfics can make it happen through a whole redemption/forgiveness narrative but I just can't see it... but she saved Korra's so thats a start, lol)

*enters FedEx Field to light some incense on Toa's 2nd Kuvira shrine*

6yillustrator

Veelk

Banned
The planet explanation makes no sense as the Avatar's purpose and duty is tied to humanity- not to the planet. This is Yangchen's quote:

The avatar exists to stop humans from being shitty to each other and make sure they all live in harmony- same as the dalai lama.

The avatar's purpose is to bring balance between the nations, which as far as we know is literally the entire planet (that's one wierd thing about avatar, it depicts 4 continents, but they are on a flat map instead of a globe...but they never indicate traveling outside the 4 nations). The planet is not an indifferent rock, it is a spirit that cares about it's inhabitants. The show itself rejects the distinction you make. All is one. The humanity is part of the planet, as much as forests or other animals. Why would it care about one, but not the other? However, it just doesn't understand them, because, as Yang Chen said, being giant all powerful spirit doesn't leave much common ground with the ordinary folk. That's what I think Yang Chen's spirit is saying. She is literally saying he needs to be flawed, to be human, to know the value of humanity. She defines being a truly enlightened spirit as having detachment from life, which would risk him devaluing it too much, something that the avatar must not do if they are going to maintain peace. There is a specific part of Yang Chen's quote you missed, and that is (and I'm paraphrasing here) "Many great air nomads have achieved enlightenment, but the avatar must never do this." This is a significant contradiction to your quote. The Dalai lama, according to the myth you stated earlier, is supposed to have achieved enlightenment (giving him the authority to be a teacher) but rejected ascension. The avatar is supposed to reject enlightenment altogether, and his teaching is meant to be flawed so that he might relate it to people better. You might argue enlightenment is ascension, but that if that's true, then Yang Chen's quote would make no sense, since if the avatar did achieve enlightenment, it wouldn't be on top of any mountain, it'd be gone.

Anyway, I don't really understand what your objection is. Remember that the origin of this debate is trying to determine what the avatar is, not where the idea is from. I used the quote to point out that was the original plan and it still makes sense within the context of TLA, and now you're on this dalai lama stuff. But that's their inspiration, not their depiction. I'm not saying that the avatar can't be or isn't like the dalai lama, but even if that's what they're inspired by, are you saying the avatar is the dalai lama? It doesn't seem so, but feel free to correct me. It seems your just saying that the avatar has similar duties to the dalai lama. Which I can agree is a valid interpretation. But what TLA defines the avatar duties as specifically is "Bring balance to the world". You can define that as helping people live harmoniously, or you can define it as just them not fucking up the planet. Both work, so I can use whichever one I want. If they wanted to make "helping people live harmoniously" the sole possible interpretation, they should have specified that. But they didn't, so you can't force this dalai lama explanation on me like that. If that's your goal, first you have to find something within the show that contradicts the planet so hard that it is essentially unworkable without ignoring significant pieces of the story.

But really, it seems we're arguing over petty details here, because they are doing the same thing in the context in the context of TLA. If we include LoK's specific depiction of what the Avatar Spirit is, we run into some continuity errors, but as far as TLA goes, either of our interpretations work. Who cares if we differ in this insignificant detail, since the story isn't about whether the avatar is the planet or dalai lama, it's about whether Aang can fulfill his duties as the avatar.

Edit: Honestly, if I were to go forward with my plan to reinterpret Legend of Korra in hopes of doing it justice, I'd probably have Korra, Asami and Kuvira as the most predominant characters. Not for shipping purposes, I just feel they'd have a great group dynamic, more so than Mako and Bolin being in the group. I'd feel I'd have to change their personalities more drastically than I would Korra or Kuvira to make them work.

Hamlet

Also, all of you need to look at Sword of the Stranger! That is such an amazing movie with great action and setting.
It sure is. The animation in it is so pretty.
Red Line is also another fantastic film on the animation front and the score is pretty great too.

Forgive me but I'm about to do a crazy fan art dump, but makanidotdot has some of my favorite art.

idk what the fuck is going on here but I love it!!!

Love her stuff but you forgot the best one ha.

Veelk

Banned
I really feel like of all the characters depicted in fan art, Lin is probably handled better as a community than any of the others. Maybe because her characterization allows for a pretty wide variety of 'I am so pissed off right now' moments that most of them can be seen as in character with each other. She can range from "leave me alone already" to "I WILL FUCK YOUR SHIT UP". Plus her being sweet on Tenzin lets her be depicted as more soft spots than the canon has her, while still maintaining the salt...

Shame really. I think Lin's character is easier to write well than the others. The show would have done better to have more Dere moments to contrast the epic amount of Tsun she has.

Kinvara

The avatar's purpose is to bring balance between the nations, which as far as we know is literally the entire planet (that's one wierd thing about avatar, it depicts 4 continents, but they are on a flat map instead of a globe...but they never indicate traveling outside the 4 nations). The planet is not an indifferent rock, it is a spirit that cares about it's inhabitants. It just doesn't understand them, because, as Yang Chen said, being giant all powerful spirit doesn't leave much common ground with the ordinary folk. That's what I think Yang Chen's spirit is saying. She is literally saying he needs to be flawed, to be human, to know the value of humanity. She defines being a truly enlightened spirit as having detachment from life, which would risk him devaluing it too much, something that the avatar must not do if they are going to maintain peace. There is a specific part of Yang Chen's quote you missed, and that is (and I'm paraphrasing here) "Many great air nomads have achieved enlightenment, but the avatar must never do this." This is a significant contradiction to your quote. The Dalai lama, according to the myth you stated earlier, is supposed to have enlightenment (giving him the authority to be a teacher) but reject ascension. The avatar is supposed to reject enlightenment altogether, and his teaching is meant to be flawed so that he might relate it to people better.

Anyway, I don't really understand what your objection is. Remember that the origin of this debate is trying to determine what the avatar is, not where the idea is from. I used the quote to point out that was the original plan, until they changed it to a spirit, and now you're on this dalai lama stuff. But that's their inspiration, not their depiction. I'm not saying that the avatar can't be or isn't like the dalai lama, but even if that's what they're inspired by, are you saying the avatar is the dalai lama? It doesn't seem so, but feel free to correct me. It seems your just saying that the avatar has similar duties to the dalai lama. But what TLA defines the avatar duties as specifically is "Bring balance to the world". You can define that as helping people live harmoniously, or you can define it as just them not fucking up the planet. If they wanted to make "helping people live harmoniously" the sole possible interpretation, they should have specified that. But they didn't, so you can't force this dalai lama explanation on me like that. If that's your goal, first you have to find something within the show that contradicts the planet so hard that it is essentially unworkable without ignoring significant pieces of the story. .

You quote Yangchen as proof even though Aang distinctly rejected her opinion?

An immortal spirit is not the same as an enlightened one. Enlightenment does not equal having detachment from life or not valuing it. In fact, it is the exact opposite. Truly enlightened individuals value all life and would never kill another being. Yangchen's opinion was that the avatar must kill sometimes in order to establish order and therefore could never follow this path.

She was wrong.

A nation is not a part of a planet. Nations are human constructs. The existence of a nation is irrelevant to the health of a planet.

Obviously, the "world" refers to global human society. When people say "Let's work towards world peace"- they are referring to humans learning to live in peace with one another. The world is thrown off balance because humans of the avatar world cannot reconcile their differences.

Aang must take down the Fire Lord because he is a threat to other human nations not because he is polluting the environment. It is the entire theme/point of the series.

. I used the quote to point out that was the original plan, until they changed it to a spirit, and now you're on this dalai lama stuff.

What do you mean "now"? Dalai lama = spirit. The dalai lama is a human being with a divine spirit.

It might have been the original plan but it was thrown out early on because the series' narrative and themes developed in a different direction and the "Planet Spirit" concept did not tie into that.

I really feel like of all the characters depicted in fan art, Lin is probably handled better as a community than any of the others. Maybe because her characterization allows for a pretty wide variety of 'I am so pissed off right now' moments that most of them can be seen as in character with each other. She can range from "leave me alone already" to "I WILL FUCK YOUR SHIT UP". Plus her being sweet on Tenzin lets her be depicted as more soft spots than the canon has her, while still maintaining the salt...

Shame really. I think Lin's character is easier to write well than the others. The show would have done better to have more Dere moments to contrast the epic amount of Tsun she has.
Lin is pretty salty, but I can imagine her having a sweet side. Nobody is just one note, but they always just opted to beat the same drum with her. It would've been nice if they tapped into Lin's awkward softer side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom