• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
Hatred is the only emotion I have left.

I've always hated Sasuke but that just makes me hate him even more.

Atleast it isn't misplaced.

Also:
Check this out.

I'd say the avatar is capable of feats in the 10 billion joule range at most which pales in comparison to the sheer power of natural events such as a hurricane or volcano let alone the entire planet/universe.

Kyoshi moved an island off the main land and several miles into the ocean. Moving that amount of mass that distance against the resistance the ocean and earth its stuck on would put up...I don't know how many joules of energy that takes, but definitely more than what any natural disaster I know of does.

Wait what power are you referring to exactly?

Izanagi

lol That was a joke. You're right. I'm not a hateful person at all.

Unfortunately, people walk all over me because of it.

People have called me aggressive in my posting style, so I hope you don't get the impression I am doing that. I just...really don't know how to say that I disagree with a person for what I feel are good reasons without coming off as a dick. I don't mean anything by these internet arguments.

What? Why the Garra hate? He actually became one of the most chill and nicest characters after his arc...

I know that.

But I'm a huge fan of everyone on Team Gai (I've even watched Naruto SD multiple times) so my hate for what he did to Rock Lee doesn't easily go away.

360pages

I'm tempted to watch the video, but then will be tempted to scroll down...and those comments. And then my reaction, oh god.

Well....you're right, I misremembered that, but the fact is this technique shouldn't exist at all. Whenever you bring literal reality warping into the game, it is over. It's the most OP thing in all of OPness.

Danzo called me. He takes issue with your claim :p

360pages

Thinking about it, despite the sheer strength of the DBZ characters and them being up there as one of the strongest universes. They actually only have brute strength, while they can blow up planets with a very basic attack (Actually, even the bad guys restrain themselves since even a low level Ki blast no large than a foot ball can destroy the planet) only a select few of them can actually heal.

360pages

Eh, I think the trade off for it is fine. I mean, you lose an eye...legit lose it, can't use it again gone forever. The ability is only meant to be used once ever, using I again makes you blind. Danzo only abused it because of super silly circumstances

It's fiction. You can light water on fire if you want, and an omnipotent god could be defeated by a bunny rabbit if you write it that way. That doesn't mean it makes much sense.

It made perfect sense for Danzo though. He got killed by Sasuke in their battle like 7 times or whatever because he's a scrub.

360pages

Ocular jutsu outside of the byakugan was so fuckin OP it was plain ridiculous

This I agree with, it really ruined it. I actually don't mind the rinnigan since it was very much made to be the strongest thing ever and none of the main characters had it. But the Sharigiun (SP) ruined everything after awhile. Doesn't help that the character progression in Part 2 was shot in the back of the head because of it.

orochi91

Finished Season/Book 3.

I have mixed feelings about this.

Zaheer and the Red Lotus are top-tier antagonists that are genuinely exciting (and menacing; suffocating the Earth Queen to death!)
on screen for a majority of the season because of how mysterious they were, at least until their end-game was revealed. I did enjoy
Zaheer's fascination (obsession?) with Lahima's philosophies, culminating in attaining the power of flight shortly after P'li blew her own face up.

With that said, the anarchy angle didn't resonate with me like Amon's Equalist movement or Unalaq's attempt at uniting the Spirit and physical world.
Nor did Korra undergo any significant character development over the course of the season, unlike in Book 2.

Lin's character development was awkward and abrupt; her resolution with Suyin didn't feel natural at all. In fact, that entire episode
felt out of touch with the rest of the season, with regards to pacing and plot; I blame the writer Katie Mattila, who was responsible for that
one episode the entire season. It was easily the weakest out of the 13 episodes this season, the rest were fantastic.

The finale was outrageous; amazing action choreography. The parallel between Ozai/Aang and Zaheer/Korra was brilliant.
Having an airbender for a villain, especially someone as well developed as Zaheer, is refreshing.

Jinorah revealing her tattoos gave me goosebumps because of how similar she looks to Aang.

And Suyin is totally Sokka's spawn; her fascination with meteorites, her Skrillex son that looks so much like Sokka,
even Oppal looks like Katara with a different hair style lol

On to Season 4!

PS, Kuvira has a sexy voice :3

Veelk

Banned
It made perfect sense for Danzo though. He got killed by Sasuke in their battle like 7 times or whatever because he's a scrub.

He can use Izanagi which evidently allows the user to remove the boundaries between reality and illusion, allowing the user to reinforce his vision of reality on himself. It unmakes, then recreates reality.

By this logic, all he needs to do is deem his present version of himself an illusion, and create a reality where he is at the peak of his youth and strength, and even give himself godhood if he wishes. This power doesn't even have a limit, since if he runs out of eyes for Izanagi, he can just use the last one to decide that his used up eyes are actually illusions and create a reality where he has them all open.

The man is free to choose any 'occurance' and make it unhappen. There is NO room for error. Yeah, you can make the character so catastrophically stupid that they fail anyway, but that doesn't mean it is a good reason because it is literally a free ticket to be God.

360pages

If we're talking about needlessly complicated Villain abilities, Part 5 of Jojo takes the cake.

Erase Time: King Crimson's signature ability is to put it simply, skip time. To go into detail, it deletes about 10 seconds worth of time, during which only it can move and predict the movements of other people. No living creature on this world can experience or remember the deleted time. The moving arms of a clock and flying birds seem like they teleport, and people forget how much of a book they've read. Its weakness is the short range and low durability, so taking on multiple people at once could result in someone finding out the user's identity.

To Diavolo, moving while deleting time like this appears in the form of the would-have-been intervening objects' states being superimposed on each other, in a fashion akin to Nude Descending a Staircase.

The nature of the time erase is such that, for example, a bullet that would have hit Diavolo will suddenly be shifted to be on his other side as where it would be seconds later.

The ability to erase time also appears to be relevant to Diavolo's own stamina, as he admitted to Risotto Nero that in the weakened state his body was in from the lack of iron in his blood, he would only be able to erase time for barely more than an instant.

He can use Izanagi which evidently allows the user to remove the boundaries between reality and illusion, allowing the user to reinforce his vision of reality on himself.

By this logic, all he needs to do is deem his present version of himself an illusion, and create a reality where he is at the peak of his youth and strength, and even give himself godhood if he wishes. This power doesn't even have a limit, since if he runs out of eyes for Izanagi, he can just use the last one to decide that his used up eyes are actually illusions and create a reality where he has them all open.

There is NO room for error. Yeah, you can make the character so catastrophically stupid that it doesn't occur, but that doesn't mean it is a good reason because it is literally a free ticket to be God.

The ability has never been shown to be an all powerful technique as you're implying, or else i'm sure Madara would have done a lot more with it than he did. It's not limitless.

Veelk

Banned
The ability has never been shown to be an all powerful technique as you're implying, or else i'm sure Madara would have done a lot more with it than he did. It's not limitless.

They explicitely say it rewrites reality. When that is the official description, there are no limits. The reason Madara didn't do more than he did is simple: Naruto is atrociously written.

They explicitely say it rewrites reality. When that is the official description, there are no limits.

Those types of descriptions are all hype unless proven in feats. When Madara, the super ninja genius god of everything has limits on what he can do with Izanagi, then you can assume that anyone lesser than him has even more limits lol.

I mean that description isn't false in anyway. The technique does rewrite reality, but just because they don't mention limits in that description doesn't mean there aren't any.

Veelk

Banned
Those types of descriptions are all hype unless proven in feats. When Madara, the super ninja genius god of everything has limits on what he can do with Izanagi, then you can assume that anyone lesser than him has even more limits lol.

I mean that description isn't false in anyway. The technique does rewrite reality, but just because they don't mention limits in that description doesn't mean there aren't any.

One of the 'limits' of that technique is that it only lasts for a few seconds. All Danzo has to do is envision a reality where it lasts forever, and it does. Because if it doesn't, then by definition it has rewritten reality when there is nothing really stopping it from doing so. It erases causality and the rules of logic to be at the whim of the user. Rewriting reality is a power that, by definition, does not have limits.

Also, you're using circular logic. Why didn't Danzo use the power to make himself a god? Because he couldn't. Why couldn't he? Because he didn't.

360pages

Eh, the ability really should have been change to altering the fate of the user/the reality of death. That would have given it limits while still working properly. I mean, the opposite ability flat out said it alters the fate of others. It altering your own fate would have made more sense.

People have called me aggressive in my posting style, so I hope you don't get the impression I am doing that. I just...really don't know how to say that I disagree with a person for what I feel are good reasons without coming off as a dick. I don't mean anything by these internet arguments.
WEsKjz4.gif

Just kidding. You do come off as aggressive, but it's because you have a huge back up what seems like almost immediately. And long posts can be exhausting, all things considered. I've never taken issue though.
Finished Season/Book 3.

Zaheer and the Red Lotus are top-tier antagonists that are genuinely exciting (and menacing; suffocating the Earth Queen to death!)
on screen for a majority of the season because of how mysterious they were, at least until their end-game was revealed. I did enjoy
Zaheer's fascination (obsession?) with Lahima's philosophies, culminating in attaining the power of flight shortly after P'li blew her own face up.

With that said, the anarchy angle didn't resonate with me like Amon's Equalist movement or Unalaq's attempt at uniting the Spirit and physical world.
Nor did Korra undergo any significant character development over the course of the season, unlike in Book 2.

Lin's character development was awkward and abrupt; her resolution with Suyin didn't feel natural at all. In fact, that entire episode
felt out of touch with the rest of the season, with regards to pacing and plot; I blame the writer Katie Mattila, who was responsible for that
one episode the entire season. It was easily the weakest out of the 13 episodes this season, the rest were fantastic.

The finale was outrageous; amazing action choreography. The parallel between Ozai/Aang and Zaheer/Korra was brilliant.
Having an airbender for a villain, especially someone as well developed as Zaheer, is refreshing.

Jinorah revealing her tattoos gave me goosebumps because of how similar she looks to Aang.

And Suyin is totally Sokka's spawn; her fascination with meteorites, her Skrillex son that looks so much like Sokka,

On to Season 4!

Interesting perspective. I personally think Korra had the least development and progression during Air, only because it feels like Spirits is a weird reset button. Despite being one of the most self-contained seasons, it feels like the biggest outlier, and it seems like it only serves to "move the pieces in place," so to speak.

One of the 'limits' of that technique is that it only lasts for a few seconds. All Danzo has to do is envision a reality where it lasts forever, and it does. Because if it doesn't, then by definition it has rewritten reality when there is nothing really stopping it from doing so. It erases causality and the rules of logic to be at the whim of the user. Rewriting reality is a power that, by definition, does not have limits.

Also, you're using circular logic. Why didn't Danzo use the power to make himself a god? Because he couldn't. Why couldn't he? Because he didn't.

I do think that if Madara couldn't abuse it in that way, then it couldn't be done unless you had more mastery over it than he did, tbh. I mean, Madara is Madara.

If Madara can't do it

No one can

Even the wiki says "To a degree this allows the user to control their state of existence, but it is normally active for only the briefest of moments"

Wait, where did you get your description from?

Veelk

Banned
I do think that if Madara couldn't abuse it in that way, then it couldn't be done unless you had more mastery over it than he did, tbh. I mean, Madara is Madara.

If Madara can't do it

No one can

Again, this is circular logic. "It can't be done because it isn't done because it can't done because...." You are arguing a fallacy.

Even the wiki says "To a degree this allows the user to control their state of existence, but it is normally active for only the briefest of moments"

Wait, where did you get your description from?

I read the entry from the wiki, but I felt TV tropes phrased it better. It's like this: In order to rewrite reality, the ability has to be beyond reality's control. If reality can enact some kind of limit on it, like 'active for only the briefest of moments' that can't be worked around, that means the ability is within reality and cannot be altered. But if it's outside reality, then the user should be able to rewrite the rules so that the technique can be active for as long as the user wants it to be. There is no such thing as being able to only partially change reality. If you can change any one part of reality, you can change all of it. Like I said before, it is a technique that does not have limits by it's very definition.

I'm saying it can't be done without having a certain mastery over it. I see what you're saying, but I do think it's legit. Madara used the technique to the best of his abilities and couldn't go beyond what he did in his particular state. Possibly it could be abused more than Madara and Danzo abused it, but they didn't have the ability to use it to a higher potential than what they did.

Another thing, the technique can't change events prior to it's activation, and it was explained that it makes anything that happens to you in the span of time akin to a dream. I don't think it was stated that you could literally rewrite anything you wanted.

Edit: Wait, yeah it has to be able to change events prior to it's activation, or else it'd be completely impractical. Still, there are limits on how far back you can go.

Veelk

Banned
I'm saying it can't be done without having a certain mastery over it. I see what you're saying, but I do think it's legit. Madara used the technique to the best of his abilities and couldn't go beyond what he did in his particular state. Possibly it could be abused more than Madara and Danzo abused it, but they didn't have the ability to use it to a higher potential than what they did.

Another thing, the technique can't change events prior to it's activation, and it was explained that it makes anything that happens to you in the span of time akin to a dream. I don't think it was stated that you could literally rewrite anything you wanted.

Why? That the thing about writing outside reality, the laws of causality become null and void and you can literally make anything you want happen. There is no logical reason why anything you mentioned can't happen. If this technique is outside of reality, then it is outside time and space, so it can go back and, say, have Danzo been born an Uchiha or whatever. You can make rules for what you can and can't do, but there is nothing to substantiate those rules, because those rules can be unmade by the very reality altering power you have. The only way to make them immutable is to seal the power to alter reality itself. There just is no limit here.

Nor is there a reason that Danzo or Madara or even a 5 year old shouldn;'t be able to do it. It's a technique that does whatever you imagine it does. It wouldn't be any harder to change the world than it would be to change your shoes using it.

Edit: Wait, yeah it has to be able to change events prior to it's activation, or else it'd be completely impractical. Still, there are limits on how far back you can go.
Again, there's no real reason you can provide on why there should be. Why it can go back for 5 seconds, but not 10, or a minute, or 10,000 years.

Why? That the thing about writing outside reality, the laws of causality become null and void and you can literally make anything you want happen. There is no logical reason why anything you mentioned can't happen. If this technique is outside of reality, then it is outside time and space, so it can go back and, say, have Danzo been born an Uchiha or whatever. You can make rules for what you can and can't do, but there is nothing to substantiate those rules, because those rules can be unmade by the very reality altering power you have. There just is no limit here.

From what I remember being explained in the show, it was said that you can only make whatever event that happened to you (including injury or death) merely a dream. Not that you can re-write anything you want, which would also mean you can't rewrite the laws. Also, the genjutsu can only be casted on yourself, not anything else that you'd need to cast it on to effect universal laws.

Veelk

Banned
From what I remember being explained in the show, it was said that you can only make whatever event happened to you (including injury or death) merely a dream. Not that you can re-write anything you want, which would also mean you can't rewrite the laws. Also, the genjutsu can only be casted on yourself, anything else that you'd need to cast it on to effect universal laws.

If you can make one thing a dream, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to make anything a dream.

Look, I know that the show itself set up 'rules', but what I am saying is there nonsensical. It's like if I gave you a sheet of paper and you could write anything you want on it, but not the word "paper". There is nothing physically stopping you from being able to write that word, even if the 'rules' say it's physically impossible. Even if it's true, it's nonsensical. If you can make a single mark on it of any kind, then 'paper' is just an arrangement of marks like any other and there is no logical reason it isn't possible. If the laws of physics allow any mark at all, then they must allow paper. If you can rewrite any part of reality, you can rewrite all of it.

If you can make one thing a dream, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to make anything a dream.

Look, I know that the show itself set up 'rules', but what I am saying is there nonsensical. It's like if I gave you a sheet of paper and you could write anything you want on it, but not the word "paper". There is nothing physically stopping you from being able to write that word, even if the 'rules' say it's physically impossible. Even if it's true, it's nonsensical. If you can make a single mark on it of any kind, then 'paper' is just an arrangement of marks like any other and there is no logical reason it isn't possible. If the laws of physics allow any mark at all, then they must allow paper. If you can rewrite any part of reality, you can rewrite all of it.

Again, there's no real reason you can provide on why there should be. Why it can go back for 5 seconds, but not 10, or a minute, or 10,000 years.

You can't buy into Naruto hype like that. Naruto has contradicted itself with hype statements multiple times. Amaterasu being as hot as the sun and would burn through anything instantly was eventually completely disproven. It was also said to be instant, which was also disproven. Baki's wind blade was said to be unavoidable. Neji's defense was said to be "perfect", and a lot of other things like that.

Feats prove everything here. If Danzo and Madara didn't go back and change whatever they wanted, they it's highly likely that they couldn't. I don't agree that they didn't do it because they just didn't. They didn't do it because they couldn't. Again, the genjustsu can only be casted on the user himself. There is only so much you can do when you can only change certain events that happened to you.

The weird thing with you is, you're not even going off of hype statements. It was never said "there were no limits on this technique." You're just assuming that, because they never addressed the limit on how far you can go back, means there's no limit... You're just trying to make up your own rules when it's much more logical to at least make reasonable theories on the limit based on actual feats.

Veelk

Banned
You can't buy into Naruto hype like that. Naruto has contradicted itself with hype statements multiple times. Amaterasu being as hot as the sun and would burn through anything instantly was eventually completely disproven. It was also said to be instant, which was also disproven. Baki's wind blade was said to be unavoidable. Neji's defense was said to be "perfect", and a lot of other things like that.

Feats prove everything here. If Danzo and Madara didn't go back and change whatever they wanted, they it's highly likely that they couldn't. I don't agree that they didn't do it because they just didn't. They didn't do it because they couldn't. Again, the genjustsu can only be casted on the user himself. There is only so much you can do when you can only change certain events that happened to you.

The weird thing with you is, you're not even going off of hype statements. It was never said "there were no limits on this technique." You're just assuming that, because they never addressed the limit on how far you can go back, means there's no limit... You're just trying to make up your own rules when it's much more logical to at least make reasonable theories on the limit based on actual feats.

Saying "It didn't say there are no limits to this technique that rewrites reality" is like saying "It didn't say there was any water in this ocean". An ocean IS water. Rewriting reality IS having no limits. It is literally the rearranging the fabric of the universe without to the limits of causality and logic. If you can rewrite that even a little, you can literally do anything. And that is the literal description that everything regarding the technique gives us. Even you admitted it does rewrite reality. So, logically, that's game over for anyone who wills it. But Naruto is written horribly, so we get the buffoonery we ended up with.

And I'm sorry, but repeating a circular logic some more does not make it any more convincing than last time.

Saying "It didn't say there are no limits to this technique that rewrites reality" is like saying "It didn't say there was any water in this ocean". An ocean IS water. Rewriting reality IS having no limits. It is literally the rearranging the fabric of the universe without to the limits of causality and logic. If you can rewrite that even a little, you can literally do anything. And that is the literal description that everything regarding the technique gives us. Even you admitted it does rewrite reality. So, logically, that's game over for anyone who wills it. But Naruto is written horribly, so we get the buffoonery we ended up with.

And I'm sorry, but repeating a circular logic some more does not make it any more convincing than last time.

All you're doing is assuming that it was possible for the characters to do much more than they did with Izanagi based off of nothing. What you keep calling "circular logic" I call a logical deduction of what you can actually do with the technique based off of feats, while your claims are completely baseless.

*sigh*

Why do artists always portray Bolin like he has the brain of a 5 year old? The dude is carefree and idealistic, he's not mentally challenged.
The guy thought up a logical plan in Operation Beifong and it hurt him. You can't blame people for thinking he's mentally stunted when that's how he's written half the time. Not to mention the bird call incident during the life or death mission debriefing in season 3. How Tonraq didn't smack his ass out the airship through the cockpit is beyond me.

Lethe82

Banned
Finished Season/Book 3.

On to Season 4!

Glad to hear your updated impressions!

Finished Season/Book 3.

On to Season 4!

Oh dang almost missed this. Was interested in your impressions after your short season 2 write up. You have mixed feelings with the whole season altogether? I had the same issue you did. I didn't find Zaheer's goals nearly as convincing as I did with Amon. They really should have gone more in depth with that, and the Lin/Suyin "resolution" was the worst part about the season, but everything else was overwhelmingly great.

*sigh*

Why do artists always portray Bolin like he has the brain of a 5 year old? The dude is carefree and idealistic, he's not mentally challenged.

Because he comes off as a fucking 5 year old with the dumbshit he does or fails to realize? And when you think he's about to get better instead he grips the idiot ball more tightly (the decision to join the army was like the most progressive thing he has done...until they layed it on real thick that he obviously picked the wrong side).

And i'm not sure if you can blame Mako for that or not since they never went any further with that whole dynamic.

so Blame the writing.

All you're doing is assuming that it was possible for the characters to do much more than they did with Izanagi based off of nothing. What you keep calling "circular logic" I call a logical deduction of what you can actually do with the technique based off of feats, while your claims are completely baseless.

but it isn't based off nothing though since you can rewrite the fabric of reality, you are just placing generic "rules" on a technique that's really limitless and that's just the writer failing to rein in his own technique.

Its funny that the sister technigue is just as broken but its limits were clearly mentioned and you had an exit clause of sorts

Lethe82

Banned

Because he comes off as a fucking 5 year old with the dumbshit he does or fails to realize? And when you think he's about to get better instead he grips the idiot ball more tightly (the decision to join the army was like the most progressive thing he has done...until they layed it on real thick that he obviously picked the wrong side).

And i'm not sure if you can blame Mako for that or not since they never went any further with that whole dynamic.

so Blame the writing.

but it isn't based off nothing though since you can rewrite the fabric of reality, you are just placing generic "rules" on a technique that's really limitless and that's just the writer failing to rein in his own technique.

Its funny that the sister technigue is just as broken but its limits were clearly mentioned and you had an exit clause of sorts

Wait ok, stop, what conditions do the writers place on this ability?

What I'm seeing here is that it is extremely limited in duration and scope, restricted to negating something that happened to you.

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Izanagi

Bring on the ships!

welcome back ! there's nothing stopping this ship!!

Terra 7 has been busy.

More here

I was going to link her new stuff, but too much Baavira. Yall know how I feel about that simp, Kuvira fucked up twice.

When she got with him, and when her spirit weapon didn't kill him.

At least there's always Nikkipet,
and Owler when she finally decides to draw her Korvira pic.

welcome back ! there's nothing stopping this ship!!

I was going to link her new stuff, but too much Baavira. Yall know how I feel about that simp, Kuvira fucked up twice.

When she got with him, and when her spirit weapon didn't kill him.

At least there's always Nikkipet,
and Owler when she finally decides to draw her Korvira pic.
How that simp ended up with this is beyond me:
tumblr_inline_njgm7pX5ZU1qbu3bc.png

Nikkipet

Nice to see that Bataar Jr is just being used no matter who he is with, he probably felt as though Kuvira was his ticket out from underneath his selfish controlling self obsessed mother.
"Kuvira save me from my mom!"
"That bitch has issues...always sneaking into my bed."
"Wait what?"
"Nothing, don't put too much emotional stock in this relationship. If you're dumb enough to get captured you better act like you don't know me."

Wait ok, stop, what conditions do the writers place on this ability?

What I'm seeing here is that it is extremely limited in duration and scope, restricted to negating something that happened to you.

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Izanagi

IIRC the argument is apparently if you can negate something that happened to you then you could negate anything else since they also exist with you (such as duration and scope as you listed).

And if its strictly assigned to you somehow why not also negate those "limits" since they are also happening to you (i am using this technique, let me use it longer, or in danzo's case if 9 eyes are gone, use the 10th to get back the other 9 since its negating what's happening to him i.e he lost 9 eyes).

The only "limit" imo was the "you lose your sight after casting the technique" but it doesn't stop having multiple eyes or getting your eyes healed due to getting Rinnegan (where you lose the technique but gain greater abilities) so...*shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom