• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I coulda sworn they agreed to disagree.

We agreed to disagree that he was not wrong. He's the one going back on that agreement.

Yes, technically I agreed to disagree what I wasn't wrong.

Which meant I agreed to agree that I was wrong... lol. But no, I thought Veelk wanted to stop discussing this. If he wanted to stop, I was fine with that, but I had no intentions of not replying to anyone else who brought it up.

So I was never out. I was just done discussing with him if he wanted to stop.

Veelk

Banned
Yes, technically I agreed to disagree what I wasn't wrong.

Which meant I agreed to agree that I was wrong... lol. But no, I thought Veelk wanted to stop discussing this. If he wanted to stop, I was fine with that, but I had no intentions of not replying to anyone else who brought it up.

So I was never out. I was just done discussing with him if he wanted to stop.

I well established by now I have difficulty just stopping arguments. All the same, if you don't understand the plain contradiction of why a person who has the ability to break the rules is obligated to be subjected to rules. By definition, he can break the rules. But as you said, I'm trying to finish this conversation, since it's clearly not going anywhere and I can't think of a way to explain more easily something that is so clearly self evident.

Lethe82

Banned
If they could break the rules then thye would have and the whole of Narruto would have changed in the blink of an eye. It never did. The idea that the characters who could use this ability simply never tried is ludicrousas is the idea that 'well here are the rules for the ability but because it's reality manipulation then the rules for it clearly don't have to apply because you can manipulate reality!"

withinanincrediblynarrowspectrum

I well established by now I have difficulty just stopping arguments. All the same, if you don't understand the plain contradiction of why a person who has the ability to break the rules is obligated to be subjected to rules. By definition, he can break the rules. But as you said, I'm trying to finish this conversation, since it's clearly not going anywhere and I can't think of a way to explain more easily something that is so clearly self evident.

*not the same rules. the medium by which a character is able to break certain rules is bound by other rules that come with the implementation of the ability because the ability itself is not universal or limitless, it is in fact quit specific and limited in what rules it can break. This isn't hard.

You could say rewriting reality is breaking the rules of reality... But as long as you're only negating something that happened to you, you are not breaking the rules of the jutsu.

You can't break the rules of the jutsu, and again, the rules are that you can take a situation that happened to you (like getting stabbed) and make it so it didn't happen. So yes, that's breaking the rules of reality, but it's not breaking the rules of the reality breaking justsu. You can't break the rules of the jutsu. The rules of the jutsu doesn't allow you to break the rules of reality in any other way than what I've stated. So by that, there is absolutely no logical way that you could break the rules of reality among the bounds of what the jutsu has been stated to allow you to do.

Veelk

Banned
If nothing else, think about what "Something that happened to you" even means. Things like 'you being attacked' is just the universe interacting with you. A butterfly from a thousand miles away flaps it's wing and the gust is carried all to what to you where it turns into a tornado. Age happens to you, is still happening as we speak. People have way across the world are happening to you as they go about their day. If the rule is "Something that happened to you" then that is happening to you right now is the entire universe. There is no distinction, we are just one giant balloon of things interacting with other things. And if you can manipulate even a single atom in such a way that is not compliant with the rules of reality, you can manipulate everything.

See this is what happens when someone tries to analyse something like Naruto too seriously, TREY WAS RIGHT :O

This is like saying 'because a Magma bender can turn this block into lava, clearly he can then turn the entire planet into lava within the same stance'. The power has an extremely limited duration and proximity and doesn't re-write reality as a whole, it just takes that specific thing that occurred to the practitioner and replaces it on a technicality of the actual consequence.

I mean, maybe you could say 'well there was this girl I liked and we talked and I totally embarrassed myself so now that's a dream, and maybe that works, but everything I looked up on this ability shows that it simply negates the effect of a particular event from the user and doesn't alter the memory/perception of others.

It's pretty low key reality manipulation actually.

he tries to limit the scope but why couldn't you given what it can do? and also there wasn't a definitive shutdown which is now spawning these questions.

I thought Death note did a slightly better job with "altering reality of someone" bit but placed some rules that was either told to the MC or him experimenting since he's a smartass.

iirc one of the kickers near the end
was a rule Ryuk didn't tell him or didn't fully expand on

It's far more likely that the ability was never seen cast on another because you can't than it is no one thought to do try when developing this ability.

but then your going to the original creator (God? :p) at that point which is the one person i definitely could see saying you can't do it.

Madara wasn't the original creator iirc and there was nothing hinted otherwise that you can't (or at least wasn't stated by anyone) so wouldn't it stand to chance they he could have tried it?

But then the (earlier) thought of losing an eye to a gamble is somewhat understandable....until some dude starts collecting other eyes since apparently it will restore your eyesight :p

If nothing else, think about what "Something that happened to you" even means. Things like 'you being attacked' is just the universe interacting with you. A butterfly from a thousand miles away flaps it's wing and the gust is carried all to what to you where it turns into a tornado. Age happens to you, is still happening as we speak. People have way across the world are happening to you as they go about their day. If the rule is "Something that happened to you" then that is happening to you right now is the entire universe. There is no distinction, we are just one giant balloon of things interacting with other things. And if you can manipulate even a single atom in such a way that is not compliant with the rules of reality, you can manipulate everything.

You can only manipulate your state and nothing else. If you get hit by that tornado, you can make it so you don't get hit by the tornado, but you're not effecting the tornado itself.

There is no distinction, we are just one giant balloon of things interacting with other things. And if you can manipulate even a single atom in such a way that is not compliant with the rules of reality, you can manipulate everything.

And again, no you can't, because you'd be breaking the rules of the justu which only allows you to take things that happen to you, and make them so they don't happen to you. If you get stabbed, you will fade away and appear back into reality, but that doesn't change the fact that you got stabbed to the attacker's perception. To the user's perspective, it was a dream, or an illusion. To anyone else, the user just faded away while impaled and then reappeared in a pre wounded state.

Lethe82

Banned
And the Tornado itself doesn't blink of of existence, you just pop up a moment later as though you were not killed by it.

See this is what happens when someone tries to analyse something like Naruto too seriously, TREY WAS RIGHT :p

Only one of many reasons that I gave up on Narruto!

he tries to limit the scope but why couldn't you given what it can do? and also there wasn't a definitive shutdown which is now spawning these questions.

I thought Death note did a slightly better job with altering reality bit but placed some rules that was either told to the MC or him experimenting since he's a smartass.

iirc one of the kickers near the end
was a rule Ryuk didn't tell him or didn't fully expand on

Well the scope has to be limited otherwise the ability becomes problem and even within the established rules of how the Jujitsu works it hasn't stopped Veelk from extrapolating complete insanity based on the fact that the ability can manipulate reality to begin with.

And agreed about Death Note.

but then your going to the original creator (God? :p) at that point which is the one person i definitely could see saying you can't do it.

Madara wasn't the original creator iirc and there was nothing hinted otherwise that you can't (or at least wasn't stated by anyone) so wouldn't it stand to chance they he could have tried it?

But then the (earlier) thought of losing an eye to a gamble is somewhat understandable until some dude starts collecting other eyes since apparently it will restore your eyesight :p

That you couldn't cast it on others?

Izanagi is a genjutsu that is cast on the user instead of others and is the most powerful amongst this type of genjutsu.
When activated, the caster removes the boundaries between reality and illusion within their personal space. To a degree this allows the user to control their state of existence, but it is normally active for only the briefest of moments.[3] - Chapter 479, page 3

I'm sure others did try it when developing/discovering the technique, that how they came to understand the limitations of the ability.

Well the scope has to be limited otherwise the ability becomes problem and even within the established rules of how the Jujitsu works it hasn't stopped Veelk from extrapolating complete insanity based on the fact that the ability can manipulate reality to begin with.

Tbf what he's extrapolating isn't insanity but its just going deeper than what the author might have intended, which was more likely while trying to reign in the technique enough so it doesn't break too much of what he's established.

He just didn't explicitly tied up the loose ends and allowed shonen logic to cover it up.

And agreed about Death Note.

That you couldn't cast it on others?

Izanagi is a genjutsu that is cast on the user instead of others and is the most powerful amongst this type of genjutsu.
When activated, the caster removes the boundaries between reality and illusion within their personal space. To a degree this allows the user to control their state of existence, but it is normally active for only the briefest of moments.[3] - Chapter 479, page 3

I'm sure others did try it when developing/discovering the technique, that how they came to understand the limitations of the ability.

Not exactly casting it on others strictly but it also affecting everything else along with the user.

but then you are assuming since it wasn't explicitly stated and could be chocked up to them just not doing just cause :p

around and around we go whooooooo.

This entire discussion is such a high level version of "why?" and the answer is "just cause"

But why what exactly? Why are the rules the way they are?

It's like arguing "why can firebenders only shoot from their hands instead making fire appear 10 feet away from them!"

They're just the rules set by the universe. The universe set up rules for how Izanagi works, and follows them. It's as simple as that. There are so many dumb things in Naruto, but this is just not a valid criticism.

Lethe82

Banned
Tbf what he's extrapolating isn't insanity but its just going deeper than what the author might have intended, which was more likely while trying to reign in the technique enough so it doesn't break too much of what he's established.

He just didn't explicitly tied up the loose ends and allowed shonen logic to cover it up.

No it's insanity, and he is refusing to acknowledged the established in universe rules (instead saying using the butterfly effect to say that the ability is actually limitless in 'what affects the user' etc) and saying that because we never see users attempting and failing at X thus it means that the ability must be capable of it and it's terrible writting because we then never see a user taking it to this logical extreme, when it is must more plausible that the jitsu actually has these in universe limitations.

Not exactly casting it on others strictly but it also affecting everything else along with the user.

But it doesn't! THAT"S THE WHOLE POINT OF HOW IT WORKS OFIKSJFPOAJIOI)!#($(!%_)!$!$!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111111 *combustion bends with a helmet on*

But it doesn't! THAT"S THE WHOLE POINT OF HOW IT WORKS OFIKSJFPOAJIOI)!#($(!%_)!$!$!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111111 *combustion bends with a helmet on*

lol

But yeah, that is pretty much the point. It only effects yourself, not anyone else, or anything else.

[Veelk]

But why what exactly? Why are the rules the way they are?

It's like arguing "why can firebenders only shoot from their hands instead making fire appear 10 feet away from them!"

They're just the rules set by the universe. The universe set up rules for how Izanagi works, and follows them. It's as simple as that. There are so many dumb things in Naruto, but this is just not a valid criticism.

No it's insanity, and he is refusing to acknowledged the established in universe rules (instead saying using the butterfly effect to say that the ability is actually limitless in 'what affects the user' etc).

"rules" that the technique already breaks in order for it to work so if it can break those rules why can't it break these other rules since they are also rules of the universe?

why doesn't it when its maybe possible and wasn't hinted otherwise (Note: this technique wont work otherwise, we tried it, it wasn't pretty, trust us. Thank you for using this technique)? .

[/Veelk]

Sorry Veelk, just playing :p

Anyways i can see how it can go crazy if you go deeper with analysis while Kishi was trying to reign in the move and kinda disappointing it wasn't nipped at the bud but the "just accept it" thing is also a sticking point for this discussion though and could be the cause for the continuation.

Man this is why I don't take shit too seriously.
This thread needs purification.

52a.gif

how bout we talk about how I watched the nostalgia critic's top 11 episodes of avatar the last airbender, and then realized I hadn't seen like half of them

Man I was just about to post pictures too

not sure if we are over the pictures/discussion ratio though, or does it not longer count since the show is over and the thread is mostly just here until the Avatar OT is done (when is that due anyways)

how bout we talk about how I watched the nostalgia critic's top 11 episodes of avatar the last airbender, and then realized I hadn't seen like half of them

i would say to list them first, then we can discuss (are the worth it, are they not, is NC off his rocker, etc)

I just go with the flow mah dude. These last few pages have had way less pictures than normal it seems like since it was filled up with that discussion.

Hamlet

not sure if we are over the pictures/discussion ratio though, or does it not longer count since the show is over and the thread is mostly just here until the Avatar OT is done (when is that due anyways)

i would say to list them first, then we can discuss (are the worth it, are they not, is NC off his rocker, etc)

11 - The Ember Island Players
10 - The Chase
9 - The Firebending Masters
8 - The Day of Black Sun
7 - Zuko Alone
6 - The Puppetmaster
5 - The Guru
4 - The Southern Raiders
3 - The Crossroads of Destiny
2 - The Storm
1 - Sozin's Comet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FCNebbo81s

Still feel Zuko Alone should be higher up.

From 11 to 1(Bolded Titles for ones I seem to have missed):
11. "The Ember Island Players"
10. "The Chase"
9. "The Firebending Masters"
8. "The Day of Black Sun"
7. "Zuko Alone"
6. "The Puppetmaster"
5. "The Guru"
4. "The Southern Raiders"
3. "The Crossroads of Destiny"
2. "The Storm"
1. "Sozin's Comet"

10 - The Chase
8 - The Day of Black Sun
7 - Zuko Alone
6 - The Puppetmaster
5 - The Guru
4 - The Southern Raiders
2 - The Storm
1 - Sozin's Comet

10. "The Chase"
7. "Zuko Alone"
6. "The Puppetmaster"
5. "The Guru"
2. "The Storm"
1. "Sozin's Comet"

oh on cursory glance Zuko Alone is up there and iirc the Storm is a nice one as well imo.

LOL @
real Zuko (in more ways than one)
in the video.

really need to start watching NC again

Hamlet

10. "The Chase"
7. "Zuko Alone"
6. "The Puppetmaster"
5. "The Guru"
2. "The Storm"
1. "Sozin's Comet"

Oh wow Zuko Alone is a big one to miss and same with the southern raiders. They do so much for the characters focused in them.

10. "The Chase"
7. "Zuko Alone"
6. "The Puppetmaster"
5. "The Guru"
2. "The Storm"
1. "Sozin's Comet"

what are you even doing here posting?

go watch those

edit: or i guess iceflamez is right you can watch them with us during the rewatch.........................if the thread goes up and that happens. I'd say we're pretty desperate. the last page and a half had me so confused.

Full metal Alchemist is pretty logical with the world it set up. Probably even more so than the Avatar universe. Though it also loops around that just because something is logical doesn't really make it better than something illogical. Though there is a limit.
My only issue with anything in terms of the "science" of FMA is in Brotherhood, when they state how alchemy and alkahestry are different, I don't understand either of them (It's tectonic energy! Whatever that means!). And that when Father's control is removed after he absorbs Truth and the ritual got bunked by the counter circle, it's explained that alchemists can use their "full power" at that time. So, what does that mean, exactly? How are they more powerful? Bigger constructs? Faster? I'm unclear. It feels like they're just thrown in there to be there. I mean, we've already accepted and established that alchemy is controlled by each person's individual Gate and the energy that flows through it.
10 - The Chase
8 - The Day of Black Sun
7 - Zuko Alone
6 - The Puppetmaster
5 - The Guru
4 - The Southern Raiders
2 - The Storm
1 - Sozin's Comet

tumblr_ngdezdTfPm1qf4elio2_500.gif

10 - The Chase
8 - The Day of Black Sun
7 - Zuko Alone
6 - The Puppetmaster
5 - The Guru
4 - The Southern Raiders
2 - The Storm
1 - Sozin's Comet

I didn't mind the reasons for his number one even though he mostly glosses over the usual issues like Aang's DEM like resolution.

I didn't mind the reasons for his number one even though he mostly glosses over the usual issues like Aang's DEM like resolution.

NC has started to really bother me lately and I can't quite figure out why. Like, his reviews have proceeded to irk me more and more as time has gone on. I don't really watch them as much now, but every once in awhile I will and it just irritates me slightly more than the previous time.

I think maybe it's because he plays himself off as an objective, unbiased reviewer when he clearly isn't, never was, and never will be.

Then again I could be totally wrong and he bugs me just cuz

NC has started to really bother me lately and I can't quite figure out why. Like, his reviews have proceeded to irk me more and more as time has gone on. I don't really watch them as much now, but every once in awhile I will and it just irritates me slightly more than the previous time.

I think maybe it's because he plays himself off as an objective, unbiased reviewer when he clearly isn't, never was, and never will be.

Then again I could be totally wrong and he bugs me just cuz

Eh honestly i'm more of a fan of his Weird Al impression during his reactions than what he has to say.

*shrug*

I don't even listen to his stuff as Doug tbh

SystemBug

I'll post some of my previous posters to show what my skill level is at. im not a great at drawing but i make up for that using other techniques

Batman-Cargo.png

behancefull.jpg

behancefull.jpg

db7ee8ba077edee45b34015530e1e6b6.jpg

Kinvara

10 - The Chase
8 - The Day of Black Sun
7 - Zuko Alone
6 - The Puppetmaster
5 - The Guru
4 - The Southern Raiders
2 - The Storm
1 - Sozin's Comet

The 11 Worst Episodes according to NC:

11- Boiling Rock: Part 1
10- The Serpent's Pass
9- Jet
8- The Cave of Two Lovers
7- The Waterbending Master
6- Sokka's Master
5- The Swamp
4- The Painted Lady
3- The Headband
2- Bato of the Water Tribe
1- The Great Divide

I need to make my own list but I remember hating Avatar Day.

Jacob

The 11 Worst Episodes according to NC:

11- Boiling Rock: Part 1
10- The Serpent's Pass
9- Jet
8- The Cave of Two Lovers
7- The Waterbending Master
6- Sokka's Master
5- The Swamp
4- The Painted Lady
3- The Headband
2- Bato of the Water Tribe
1- The Great Divide

I need to make my own list but I remember hating Avatar Day.

Nostalgia Critic is insane. All of those are quality episodes with the exception of The Painted Lady and The Great Divide. Boiling Rock and Sokka's Master are two of the highlights of Book Three for the character stuff and the action both. And the list is missing the early Book 1 missteps of The King of Omashu and Imprisoned (although both introduced cool characters who were better served in their later appearances) and the intense awkwardness of Avatar Day, although that had a solid Zuko/Iroh B-plot.

Edit: and I mean come on, The Waterbending Master is one of the few crucial episodes to the overall plot of Book One, and it tees up The Siege of the North, which is one of the best episodes of the entire series. So putting it on a worst episodes list is simply madness. The Cave of Two Lovers is an important step in Aang and Katara's character development, and both it and The Headband have quality humor through their (admittedly weird) premises. I can kinda see where he's coming from with Jet and Bato, and those aren't necessarily my favorite episodes either, but both are significant for the character development contained within and both have really good "guest star" characters.

Nostalgia Critic is insane. All of those are quality episodes with the exception of The Painted Lady and The Great Divide. Boiling Rock and Sokka's Master are two of the highlights of Book Three for the character stuff and the action both. And the list is missing the early Book 1 missteps of The King of Omashu and Imprisoned (although both introduced cool characters who were better served in their later appearances) and the intense awkwardness of Avatar Day, although that had a solid Zuko/Iroh B-plot.

Edit: and I mean come on, The Waterbending Master is one of the few crucial episodes to the overall plot of Book One, and it tees up The Siege of the North, which is one of the best episodes of the entire series. So putting it on a worst episodes list is simply madness. The Cave of Two Lovers is an important step in Aang and Katara's character development, and both it and The Headband have quality humor through their (admittedly weird) premises. I can kinda see where he's coming from with Jet and Bato, and those aren't necessarily my favorite episodes either, but both are significant for the character development contained within and both have really good "guest star" characters.

He did have a disclaimer about no episodes are actually bad but he feels some are weaker than others.

But his reasoning should be interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom