• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toa is this you? Your waifu on XBL

EmttEk3.jpg

Bit-Bit

So I've got season 1 of Korra edited into one big episode. And there's this website that allows me to stream video and we can all watch it. Would you guys be interested in a GAF Korra Watch?

If so, I can create a thread in the OT and we can all watch it together.
I'm on USA Eastern Time Zone. So 6:00pm would be best for me.

Who's in?

So I've got season 1 of Korra edited into one big episode. And there's this website that allows me to stream video and we can all watch it. Would you guys be interested in a GAF Korra Watch?

Who's in?

I'm down for it

Toa TAK

Banned
Toa is this you? Your waifu on XBL

EmttEk3.jpg
Lol no, but XBLKorraGAF needs to play together soon.

Who's in?
Sure, why not?
WOULDN'T YOU LIKE TO KNOW?

Thank God at the very least it's not "awesome".

I would argue that it's been more popular at almost every stage of the game, due to online streaming and heavier promotion. ATLA could only be accessed if you had cable, pretty much. Accessibility is everything.
This is true, though you can stream ATLA now, but yeah back then not so much. I was streaming Korra before Nick figured they could throw it online. I honestly just meant that Korra is currently more famous or more famous than it was after Book 2 because of the Korrasami ending...that and all of the mishandling that went with it.

This is true, though you can stream ATLA now, but yeah back then not so much. I was streaming Korra before Nick figured they could throw it online. I honestly just meant that Korra is currently more famous or more famous than it was after Book 2 because of the Korrasami ending...that and all of the mishandling that went with it.

I would want to say, LoK is more popular right now not only due to the ending itself... but due to the fact it ended only 2+ months ago. It's still fresh on people's minds compared to ATLA which ended back in 2008. I remember back then, people wouldn't shut the hell up about the finale and I didn't even watch ATLA.

I would want to say, LoK is more popular right now not only due to the ending itself... but due to the fact it ended only 2+ months ago. It's still fresh on people's minds compared to ATLA which ended back in 2008. I remember back then, people wouldn't shut the hell up about the finale and I didn't even watch ATLA.
Interesting. I didn't see either till well...last year over the summer right before Book 3 started so I have no idea how popular ATLA was when it ended. I pretty much steered clear of the property for years because of that stupid movie and well it was on Nick.

Daemul

I'd rather LoK be forever remembered for it's ending and Korrasami, rather than being remembered for being that show with the stupid love triangle and kaiju battle. It's the lesser evil.

I mean, I don't think the Korrasami ending is the "wrong reason" to be famous. I think the reason why a show becomes as it big as it does change over time. The Sopranos, for example, was absolutely huge back in the day, right? For being basically The Godfather: The Series. But I think now it's more famous for its ending than anything else. Or take Hunter X Hunter, which (at least as a manga) was big because "OMG Yoshihiro Togashi is doing a new manga! It's pretty good!" and now it's (in)famous for it's delays. Kill la Kill is more well-known for it's gratuitousness in regards to it's barely clothed characters, whereas it was big initially for being a sort of spiritual successor to Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan.

My ultimate point is that I don't think there's any "right" or "wrong" reason for a show to be well known for, but I do think that a show can be put in a bad light or a good light depending on what it is known for. That being said, the Korrasami ending, I would say puts TLoK in a good light more than a bad one.

I mean, I don't think the Korrasami ending is the "wrong reason" to be famous. I think the reason why a show becomes as it big as it does change over time. The Sopranos, for example, was absolutely huge back in the day, right? For being basically The Godfather: The Series. But I think now it's more famous for its ending than anything else. Or take Hunter X Hunter, which (at least as a manga) was big because "OMG Yoshihiro Togashi is doing a new manga! It's pretty good!" and now it's (in)famous for it's delays. Kill la Kill is more well-known for it's gratuitousness in regards to it's barely clothed characters, whereas it was big initially for being a sort of spiritual successor to Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan.

My ultimate point is that I don't think there's any "right" or "wrong" reason for a show to be well known for, but I do think that a show can be put in a bad light or a good light depending on what it is known for. That being said, the Korrasami ending, I would say puts TLoK in a good light more than a bad one.
It puts the show in a good light because it makes it rather progressive for a kids show, in this day and age of ignorance and trying to act like the LGBT community either shouldn't exist, be crammed into oven or ignored. From a narrative stand point I honestly just with it just did more with it's characters, but that's a discussion I've had on here a bunch of times.

It puts the show in a good light because it makes it rather progressive for a kids show, in this day and age of ignorance and trying to act like the LGBT community either shouldn't exist, be crammed into oven or ignored. From a narrative stand point I honestly just with it just did more with it's characters, but that's a discussion we've all had on here a bunch of times.

Fixed ;).

I agree wholeheartedly. I think getting into the particulars of an ending (the character closure, for example) is never going to be what that ending is known for. It's always going to be one thing that stands above the rest. The Sopranos has the cut to black, TLoK has Korrasami, Smallville is known for it's homage, Supernatural is known for not ending, etc. You could get into the nitty gritty, but that'll never be for what the ending of show is most famous for, let alone the show as a whole.

Veelk

Banned
It puts the show in a good light because it makes it rather progressive for a kids show, in this day and age of ignorance and trying to act like the LGBT community either shouldn't exist, be crammed into oven or ignored. From a narrative stand point I honestly just with it just did more with it's characters, but that's a discussion I've had on here a bunch of times.

Pretty much. I don't really understand why they didn't do this either, since they could have just passed off heavy hints as friendship before hitting everyone with the L bomb, and it would have made a stronger point both in terms of narrative and support for the LGBT. One of the most common derogatory remarks thrown at gay people is that they are just sexual deviants, that they aren't capable of true romantic love for the same sex and just do it out of perversion. Having Korra and Asami have a genuine relationship at the forefront of their love is something that would give it substance, whereas them barely interacting and then getting together is just kind of done on a whim that doesn't support the point they're trying to make as much as it could have.

Hamlet

I really like Amon's backstory, but this would have been pretty cool as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOMw80ihmSA
Interesting theory. Ah to be back in the Book 1 days, I still remember when that fake leak came out and people start believing Amon was Aang

just youtubing some Korra soundtracks and man, there are so good. always make me emotional
One of my favs Jinora's Light
Nick really needs to release the rest of them pronto.

Pretty much. I don't really understand why they didn't do this either, since they could have just passed off heavy hints as friendship before hitting everyone with the L bomb, and it would have made a stronger point both in terms of narrative and support for the LGBT. One of the most common derogatory remarks thrown at gay people is that they are just sexual deviants, that they aren't capable of true romantic love for the same sex and just do it out of perversion. Having Korra and Asami have a genuine relationship at the forefront of their love is something that would give it substance, whereas them barely interacting and then getting together is just kind of done on a whim that doesn't support the point they're trying to make as much as it could have.

And that is my issue with the pairing but because of the usual negativity surrounding the the whole thing this is seen (to me imo) as a step(even if it seems somewhat artificial/hamfisted) because its not the usual negativity i.e "its not as good as it could have been but we'll take it".

And no the whole "cant show them on media" thing doesn't work as a rock solid defense here especially if they were trying to make a statement (and its not like the relationship was overtly sexual either).

Mako was sacrificed for it also so i don't mind its wasted potential too much.

Interesting theory. Ah to be back in the Book 1 days, I still remember when that fake leak came out and people start believing Amon was Aang.

My personal theory about Amon was that he found out how to energybend and that's how he could take away people's bending. It was totally plausible, too, since the lion turtle says "before we bent the elements, we bent the energy within ourselves." I would have liked it more and I think it would have made more sense, even with his backstory. Yakone rejects him as a nonbenders and he sees that Tarrlok is being abused. Because of this he believes that bending is evil and sets out to remove it. I honestly believe it works better.

I'm in a very intense debate right now and it's very hard to pull away from it. Quick, someone start a discussion so I can forget about it!

Lesson #2 in Feenix Rising's f-ups.

Don't close your laptop before closing out tumblr, then reopen it when people behind you in class can see it.

Veelk

Banned
And that is my issue with the pairing but because of the usual negativity surrounding the the whole thing this is seen (to me imo) as a step(even if it seems somewhat artificial/hamfisted) because its not the usual negativity i.e "its not as good as it could have been but we'll take it".

And no the whole "cant show them on media" thing doesn't work as a rock solid defense here especially if they were trying to make a statement (and its not like the relationship was overtly sexual either).

Mako was sacrificed for it also so i don't mind its wasted potential too much.

That's how social progress is achieved, I guess. One step at a time.

Jaded has more posts than Toa and I combined. He's a bigger fan than all of us.
I'm insane with no social life...well borderline sane with no social life. You guys talk to me more than people I actually know. And it's probably 60% fanfic nonsense by the way.

Don't talk about Jaded like that, I would definitely have a matching post count had I started posting in here while the show was still running =/

And there's nothing wrong with shipping and fanfics!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom