• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meaaaann 1400 vs 570
What is this a dick measuring contest? I put in work.
I'm insane with no social life...well borderline sane with no social life. You guys talk to me more than people I actually know. And it's probably 60% fanfic nonsense by the way.
Hey now, not having a social life isn't a bad thing, per se. I mean, I have a select few friends that I hang out with on a regular basis.
who are you again?

seriously though people did work in the thread post wise (i just mostly lurked and read reactions/discussions tbh)
I PUT IN WORK!
tumblr_ngdxvckhcC1sortl3o1_500.gif

orochi91

Finished Book 4!

Personal rankings of all 7 Books:

ATLA B1: B
B2: B+
B3: A+

LoK: B1: A
B2: A+
B3: A
B4: A-

Book 4 was well done, but what soured me was several things:

-Prince Wu's characterization/dialogue
-Recap episode (apparently due to budget cuts)
-Bit of a rushed finale (apparently due to budget cuts)

Prince fucking Wu, in particular, is one of the most disgusting, repulsive piece of fictional shit to grace my eyes in some time.
No redeeming factors, nonsensical "humour", just all around unpleasant whenever on screen. That one scene in particular, when
the world leaders are meeting and contemplating proper course of action in the face of Kuvira's aggression, was infuriating as Wu
went on about the most stupid fucking childish suggestions in such a grave situation. Just beyond stupid.

The whole PTSD angle with Korra was very well done, in fact, her biggest enemies this season seemed to be the poison and
subsequent lingering psychological effects, not Kuvira (a great villain; intimidating as hell). The way in which she went about dealing
with her impediments, both physical (through Toph) and psychological (through Zaheer), was very well executed.

The Korrasami ending was handled well too, as having them not kiss made it that more believable, oddly enough. The writers
probably recognized that they didn't build up the relationship to that extent, so having them eye-fuck each other at the spirit portal
was a more compelling ending.

My mind is so exhausted right now, but what a great show and I can only hope LoK comics will further flesh out the after math.

Finished Book 4!

Prince fucking Wu, in particular, is one of the most disgusting, repulsive piece of fictional shit to grace my eyes in some time.
No redeeming factors, nonsensical "humour", just all around unpleasant whenever on screen. That one scene in particular, when
the world leaders are meeting and contemplating proper course of action in the face of Kuvira's aggression, was infuriating as Wu
went on about the most stupid fucking childish suggestions in such a grave situation. Just beyond stupid.

The whole PTSD angle with Korra was very well done, in fact, her biggest enemies this season seemed to be the poison and
subsequent lingering psychological effects, not Kuvira (a great villain; intimidating as hell). The way in which she went about dealing
with her impediments, both physical (through Toph) and psychological (through Zaheer), was very well executed.

The Korrasami ending was handled well too, as having them not kiss made it that more believable, oddly enough. The writers
probably recognized that they didn't build up the relationship to that extent, so having them eye-fuck each other at the spirit portal

My mind is so exhausted right now, but what a great show and I can only hope LoK comics will further flesh out the after math.
Comics better have a Kuvira redemption story. She wasn't a complete monster or anything, just drunk as fuck with power.

Finished Book 4!

Wow, A+ for book 2 eh?

Bold.

I personally disagree, but hey. I thought book 2 and 4 were terrible. To each his/her own.

orochi91

Comics better have a Kuvira redemption story. She wasn't a complete monster or anything, just drunk as fuck with power.

Girl got greedy in her hopes of uniting the Earth Kingdom. In fact, when Korra said to
leave Republic City and keep the Earth Empire, I was actually shocked; it was a generous offer.

Also, Kuvira's "letting go of Earthly tethers" moment was pretty ruthless, as she clearly was
(momentarily) saddened by having to kill Bataar.

Her voice actress is pretty impressive at conveying nuances.

Wow, A+ for book 2 eh?

Bold.

I personally disagree, but hey. I thought book 2 and 4 were terrible. To each his/her own.

Book 2 was great because I felt fully satisfied of the progression of events as they played out; nothing was rushed and there was that
great little moment of intrigue when Jinorah did her thing at the end; I love it when shows do something inexplicable like that, as it
leaves the viewers to fill in with the most sensible explanation.

Girl got greedy in her hopes of uniting the Earth Kingdom. In fact, when Korra said to
leave Republic City and keep the Earth Empire, I was actually shocked; it was a generous offer.

Also, Kuvira's "letting go of Earthly tethers" moment was pretty ruthless, as she clearly was
(momentarily) saddened by having to kill Bataar.

Her voice actress is pretty impressive at conveying nuances.
Kuvira was very hard for me to hate as a character. I honestly wished they showed her being an actual human more and not in constant stoic mode. She's a character that can be pretty fun to watch I just wanted more sides of her.

Lethe82

Banned
I really liked the stoic side of her because she was so good at her job of being an 'evil' dictator, but I feel like they missed out on character gold by not fleshing her (and her actions/reasoning) out more. The series really needed more emphasis on Kuvira and her transformation, and internal conflicts.

Not being a dick, but I find it interesting that you have Enter the Void and Venom of the Red Lotus together, yet you have The Last Stand separate from Day of the Colossus. Seems a bit disingenuous, no? Also, you have Light in the Dark on there?!
107211-Arnold-Schwarzenegger-biceps-h-DXwa.gif

You know what, for all the shit that I give that finale for the final fight being disappointing as hell, I think the rest of the episode covers for it.

Yeah I feel the same. Season 1 as a whole is just incredible, even considering that it falters slightly in the final act.

Just use the wiki. That's what I did.

Will do!

According to that TVTropes page, Asami was way more into Korra as opposed to the other way around. I dunno. I still contest a couple pf points that page makes.

Oh I think Asami is absurdly into Korra, even during book 1. In spite of everything she says she likes Korra in book 1, takes her racing (to impress her in a good way) and basically tries her damnedest to be friends with her. I wouldn't argue against the notion that without -what Korra represents and the influence and perspective that helped show Asami- that Asami may in fact have joined the Equalists in *that moment* (we all know the one) feeling as though she had no other option but loyalty to her father/family etc.

There is a difference between that and 'I want to put my tongue in Korra's mouth' however, that probably developed later, even if Asami already knew she could be bisexual or whatever, and Asami is too classy to really put herself out there like that or just give into feelings (on the surface) when there are other more important things going on.

It's in the background, but throughout the series Asami basically dedicates her entire life to Korra and helping Korra as a person and as the Avatar. It comes across like a bit of a 'having your cake and eating it too' because Asami seems to genuinely care about Korra as a person, but also you see her being influenced by and doing her best to help Korra the person through helping her as the Avatar, which synergies with Asami's own beliefs and altruistic values while also helping her friend and eventual lover.

Just for some perspective here, Asami was constantly doing everything in her power to smooth over/make life easier for Korra. She took a leading role in rebuilding Republic city as need be because of the vines, so that Korra's decision would be more popular and people wouldn't hate her.

Ah fuck it, just read this
http://lokgifsandmusings.tumblr.com...ortrait-of-asamis-devotion-anon-meta-analysis

I think the emotional interaction between the two is that Asami showed her love for Korra via externalizing it because she never really felt for the longest time that Korra would feel the same way. There was also probably some comfort in that distance, and that's kind of why I think that Asami (visually, the VA may not reflect it as much) reacts how she does when Korra asks her on a Vacation so to say.

*Really!?!* (bursting with excitement out of her normal composure)

*...Ok...* (nervous/resigned to admitting the reality of her feelings to herself, and now Korra really reciprocating makes it all 'real' and that's scary/overwhelmed)

For Korra's part, whatever walls broke down in her relative to Asami broke down hard when they did, because Korra is much more overtly and emotionally smitten with Asami in season 4 (all the blushing and whatnot). I think there are different levels to where there feelings are at, they probably both feel deeply for one another, but Asami is more reserved and controlled over her feelings while Korra is direct and tends to 'go in head first'.

Damned right. I still get chills watching that scene.
Wonder how Nick put together this list? did they even put out a poll for people to choose ha.
That scene should be posted every 50 pages.
Not as much tho.

Sorry man, that's a significant difference. We all look like scrubs compared to him.
WEsKjz4.gif

But I don't wanna read it. Like, I bought the relationship. I don't need convincing, there are just certain pieces of evidence that I contest a little bit. That's all.

orochi91

Kuvira was very hard for me to hate as a character. I honestly wished they showed her being an actual human more and not in constant stoic mode. She's a character that can be pretty fun to watch I just wanted more sides of her.

I really liked the stoic side of her because she was so good at her job of being an 'evil' dictator, but I feel like they missed out on character gold by not fleshing her (and her actions/reasoning) out more. The series really needed more emphasis on Kuvira and her transformation, and internal conflicts.

I can't help but think how much more they could have added if the budget wasn't cut and also didn't waste an entire episode to recaps.
Kuvira literally only needs like 10 minutes more to flesh out her character, since most of it was done by Su through flashback and exposition.

From what I gathered by the end, her abandonment at the hands of her parents in her childhood played a significant role in her decision to unite the Earth Kingdom at
all costs, and ensure her people are prosperous/well-off enough to mitigate the chances of others having to go through what she did.

Her life at Zhaofu, under Su, is probably what she wanted for all of the Earth Kingdom to have.

Who do you think is the coolest villain

Amon.

His Equalist ideals resonated with me, especially since I've read the preceding comics which shed light on the origin of the Equalist movement.
Though I think I can only fully appreciate Amon if you include Tarrlok because their characters seem to be 2 sides of the same coin.
Seriously, that double suicide at the end pretty much vaulted these guys near the top of my favourite fictional characters list.

Lethe82

Banned
I
Amon.

His Equalist ideals resonated with me, especially since I've read the preceding comics which shed light on the origin of the Equalist movement.
Though I think I can only fully appreciate Amon if you include Tarrlok because their characters seem to be 2 sides of the same coin.
Seriously, that double suicide at the end pretty much vaulted these guys near the top of my favourite fictional characters list.

Wiat, comics?

Accept the truth BKata. Jaded is out of our league.

Amon.

You are a good person.

I always enjoyed reading her analyse, quite a bit of stretching in parts. Though I do see where she's coming from. If I recall correctly she had a oddly similar Korra-Asami relationship during her college days with a good friend, etc etc, pussyfooting around for a few months and bam. A lot of "that is kinda abrupt" from friends and etc. So I can see why she made so many of these korrasami analyse.

orochi91

Wiat, comics?

Yup, especially The Promise, a 3 part story that alludes to the creation of Republic City from the remnant Fire colonies after the 100 Years war.

The other 2 comics, The Search and The Rift, are amazing as well.

And the best part is: THEY'RE ALL CANON!

:3

orochi91

Well her character design oozes awesome.

She looked amazing in that moment when she was dancing; she's at her most elegant and attractive in this moment.

kuvira73poo.jpg

Fan art just can't compete.

tumblr_n74jwqhoXG1qg3jxao1_400.gif

I understand why you have it a high rating, but lawd, this season really left me feeling bitter.

Man you guys had me super worried while I was going through my ATLA re-watch. Whenever I popped in here, there was so much negativity surrounding Book 2.

I didn't realize it would end up tying with ATLA Book 3 as my favourite at the end of it all lol

Man you guys had me super worried while I was going through my ATLA re-watch. Whenever I popped in here, there was so much negativity surrounding Book 2.

I didn't realize it would end up tying with ATLA Book 3 as my favourite at the end of it all lol
Hey now, I did a quick re-watch a ways back (like, when the pages were in the 50's and 60's. Seriously, page 50 is just gifs) and I was leaning pretty positive on Book 2. I like it more than Air and Water.
Accept the truth BKata. Jaded is out of our league.
an.gif

Lethe82

Banned
Hey now, I did a quick re-watch a ways back (like, when the pages were in the 50's and 60's. Seriously, page 50 is just gifs) and I was leaning pretty positive on Book 2. I like it more than Air and Water.

an.gif

Damn, I wonder if it will surprise me on rewatch, unfortunately my sister and her boyfriend (who haven't seen any of Kora) are being flakes and not providing me with the good excuse to rewatch it yet, but hopefully soon.

Granted my sister is an insane person who hates finishing things 'because then they are over' and still hasn't finish AtLA for that very reason but I can always hope.

I can't help but think how much more they could have added if the budget wasn't cut and also didn't waste an entire episode to recaps.
Kuvira literally only needs like 10 minutes more to flesh out her character, since most of it was done by Su through flashback and exposition.

From what I gathered by the end, her abandonment at the hands of her parents in her childhood played a significant role in her decision to unite the Earth Kingdom at
all costs, and ensure her people are prosperous/well-off enough to mitigate the chances of others having to go through what she did.

Her life at Zhaofu, under Su, is probably what she wanted for all of the Earth Kingdom to have.
Her life in Zaofu is something that she wanted to spread to the world or at least the broken parts of the earth kingdom. She was influenced highly by what she learned growing up with Su. She wasn't exactly wrong. The broken and destitute portions of the kingdom could've used the modernization that Zaofu had. Granted there should always be a choice, but I think it's a choice a lot of people would've accepted. She doesn't exactly "hate" Su, nor Zaofu, just thought it was time for them to stop being so reclusive. And yeah she did hold a large fucking grudge for kicking her out of a place that had become her home and given her childhood I'm sure that made her extra salty. Su is Su, it's a bit hard to tell her and get her to realize that she's either wrong or hurt someone. Just look at her relationship with Lin.
Post it. Just post it. I need to see it.
It's like an insta ban nuke.

orochi91

Her life in Zaofu is something that she wanted to spread to the world or at least the broken parts of the earth kingdom. She was influenced highly by what she learned growing up with Su. She wasn't exactly wrong. The broken and destitute portions of the kingdom could've used the modernization that Zaofu had. Granted there should always be a choice, but I think it's a choice a lot of people would've accepted. She doesn't exactly "hate" Su, nor Zaofu, just thought it was time for them to stop being so reclusive. And yeah she did hold a large fucking grudge for kicking her out of a place that had become her home and given her childhood I'm sure that made her extra salty. Su is Su, it's a bit hard to tell her and get her to realize that she's either wrong or hurt someone. Just look at her relationship with Lin.

Yea, Su can be a frustrating individual because looking at what she accomplished with Zhaofu, it would have been ideal for her to attempt to restore the Earth kingdom.

I wouldn't have even minded if she, with Kuvira at her right hand, took down the monarchy permanently and put up a new system.

In fact, Su + Kuvira as the villains versus Korra + Lin would have been an incredible direction to take.

It would provide ample opportunities to further develop the Bei-Fong family dynamics; Toph would have been forced to play a greater role.

I just made the most amazing abandon thread gif.

Someone do something crazy so I can use it.

I was gonna make a futanari joke involving Kuvira decimating Jinorah, but then I'm like nah, too ecchi :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom