• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Classic Jackie is so good. I really should watch more of them. I really should watch Super Cop 1 and 2 again it's been years.

Yes! I need to log into my VUDU account and re-check what movies I have, I know Police Story 1 & 2 is among them but I forgot what else I bought.

.....and it's starting to scare me how alike we are, at this juncture I feel like I need to just add my post count to yours.

Yes! I need to log into my VUDU account and re-check what movies I have, I know Police Story 1 & 2 is among them but I forgot what else I bought.

.....and it's starting to scare me how alike we are, at this juncture I feel like I need to just add my post count to yours.
That'd be like a third of this thread damn. I think I remember liking one named Gorgeous as well it's been a good long while since I've liked a couple. There's a couple of really well choreographed fight scenes in that one.

That'd be like a third of this thread damn. I think I remember liking one named Gorgeous as well it's been a good long while since I've liked a couple. There's a couple of really well choreographed fight scenes in that one.

I was watching Meals on Wheels the other day too, fun movie with an incredible fight scene at the end.

I was watching Meals on Wheels the other day too, fun movie with an incredible fight scene at the end.
Some of these are on youtube...
f6abddefc8afa4d49aa6bb4952fbee7ceaff048ddc8e275db73944223d8fd153.jpg

Lethe82

Banned
This is not quite as weird as Korra/Lin shippers, I'll never figure that one out, but this one is STILL PRETTY WEIRD CONSIDERING SU PSEUDO RAISED KUVIRA FROM CHILDHOOD
Although she always seemed to keep Kuvira at arms length and pushed her to decorative hobbies (dancing etc) that would be used to impress others and impress Su at events while never allowing Kuvira to be a part of her family despite taking the girl in as an orphan

What I'm getting at is that Su is generally a selfish piece of crap who probably also build her city as a 'I can feel so good about myself' monument to her own ego. Zaofu should have been doing it's best to help neighboring cities and provinces, if only through improving standards of living and helping to stop bandits from stealing and murdering people, but y'know, Su gonna Su. The idea that 'well why weren't the air benders doing it?' is a valid excuse for inaction doesn't hold up. The Air Benders still number in the dozens at best and Zaofu had enough people and supplies to reunite the entire Earth Kingdom (even without Kuvira's labor camp insanity etc). They could have done the right thing, but Su chose to let people die and suffer around her for the crime of not being citizens in her city.

This is not quite as weird as Korra/Lin shippers, I'll never figure that one out, but this one is STILL PRETTY WEIRD CONSIDERING SU PSEUDO RAISED KUVIRA FROM CHILDHOOD
Although she always seemed to keep Kuvira at arms length and pushed her to decorative hobbies (dancing etc) that would be used to impress others and impress Su at events, while never allowing Kuvira to be a part of her family, despite taking the girl in as an orphan

What I'm getting at is that Su is generally a selfish piece of crap who probably also build her city as a 'I can feel so good about myself' monument to her own ego.
Which would explain why Kuvira wanted to blitzkrieg the shit out if it so badly. Would show Su that she wasn't the only one capable of changing the world. Kuvira had to potential to be more than some "play thing" to her, but Su just wanted to keep her down as an ornament.

Lethe82

Banned
Which would explain why Kuvira wanted to blitzkrieg the shit out if it so badly. Would show Su that she wasn't the only one capable of changing the world. Kuvira had to potential to be more than some "play thing" to her, but Su just wanted to keep her down as an ornament.

I edited my post to include more Su bashing, but spot on. Sure, no one forced Kuvira to go war wacky the way that she did, but it's very easy to see where her mental instability came from, and being an orphan wasn't the whole of it by a long shot.

Kuvira looks like she's about to dominate the shit out of her.
nq80yl.jpg

I just can't believe Rin-trash came through.

Don't curr, I told Toa eons ago when I first posted a Suvira pic this would happen. He didn't want to believe. I officially stan Rin-trash now.

I edited my post to include more Su bashing, but spot on. Sure, no one forced Kuvira to go war wacky the way that she did, but it's very easy to see where her mental instability came from, and being an orphan wasn't the whole of it by a long shot.
I can imagine that being how Kuvira and Bataar were able to relate to each other because Bataar is the only one that's not an individual of sorts. He just takes after his father and with Kuvira I'm going to assume he saw a lot of the world and how it really works with her. It's a bit of an emancipation for the both of them from being kept in a bird cage. Dude's intelligent so being locked up would stifle his creativity. Kuvira sure as fuck isn't stupid either and was actually one of the more politically savvy people on the show, way more savvy than Su that's for damn sure.
I just can't believe Rin-trash came through.

Don't curr, I told Toa eons ago when I first posted a Suvira pic this would happen. He didn't want to believe. I officially stan Rin-trash now.
Don't just stop at Rin-Trash. I'm pretty sure there's plenty that will be more than happy to oblige a request.

Veelk

Banned
So I swear to god, I am not trying to turn this into a huge debate, but I was just thinking about the nature of canon again. I'm just wondering if idea that the creator has ownership of the thing they create is a residual effects of monotheistic beliefs where God is supposed to be infallible about and have authority over about his creation. What do you guys think and answer me before I make this an actual topic in the OT and crash Gaf.

Trey

So I swear to god, I am not trying to turn this into a huge debate, but I was just thinking about the nature of canon again. I'm just wondering if idea that the creator has ownership of the thing they create is a residual effects of monotheistic beliefs where God is supposed to be infallible about and have authority over about his creation. What do you guys think and answer me before I make this an actual topic in the OT and crash Gaf.

Nah. People are just used to the effects of a copyright system. Most of the media the average fan will ever see comes exclusively from the "creators." So they own that IP in most people's minds, as well as legally. People care about terms like "official." People want the brand because they associate it with quality. This is across all products and industries.

I mean, I'm sure there are some folks that look at it the way you inquired about, but it's more to do with the strong sense of individualism and ownership most people seem to have. Someone has to own something. Which sort of goes against the teachings of most widespread monotheistic religions.

Veelk

Banned
Nah. People are just used to the effects of a copyright system. Most of the media the average fan will ever see comes exclusively from the "creators." So they own that IP in most people's minds, as well as legally. People care about terms like "official." People want the brand because they associate it with quality. This is across all products and industries.

Hm....I'll have to remember to look into how stories were handled before copyright laws came into practice. But yeah, that might just be the more likely explanation.
I mean, I'm sure there are some folks that look at it the way you inquired about, but it's more to do with the strong sense of individualism and ownership most people seem to have. Someone has to own something. Which sort of goes against the teachings of most widespread monotheistic religions.

And countries that more strongly associate with polytheistic religions.

The only experience I have that is manga and stuff and I'm not sure if Japan and other such countries view canoncy differently.

Pretty much. If it is under the "official" brand name, then it's canon. That's just how I look at it and why I really don't bother with fan fiction. I honestly just don't care about fan fiction, and I'm not trying to be a dick to those that do or those that write it, but I never bothered with it or invested any time into it. That's pretty much because no fan fiction will ever be considered canon for me unless it has that "official" tag on it. I know that sounds superficial, but that's how I operate.

Which makes things like Dragonball GT confusing, but that's an entirely different issue.

360pages

GT is erased...we don't talk about it, (Mostly because if GT is Canon so are all of the movies, (At least all the Cell Saga movies and onward) which I wouldn't mind, but the continuity snarl would be amazing)

There's nothing confusing about GT. It's shit plain and simple. Fucked up every character design on the show. Only things I like are Goku's alt costume and Pan.

GT is erased...we don't talk about it, (Mostly because if GT is Canon so are all of the movies, (At least all the Cell Saga movies and onward) which I wouldn't mind, but the continuity snarl would be amazing)
Well Toriyama did say that GT isn't canon and the movies that have been coming out are in fact canon. So I dunno. I think it's always fun to see which movies fit within the timeline and which don't. The leaps you have to go to in order to make Tree of Might fit into continuity proper is hilarious.

360pages

Well Toriyama did say that GT isn't canon and the movies that have been coming out are in fact canon. So I dunno. I think it's always fun to see which movies fit within the timeline and which don't. The leaps you have to go to in order to make Tree of Might fit into continuity proper is hilarious.

Most of the Sayian Saga Movies are flat out impossible. Despite that I still enjoyed The World's Strongest.

Kinvara

Pretty much. If it is under the "official" brand name, then it's canon. That's just how I look at it and why I really don't bother with fan fiction. I honestly just don't care about fan fiction, and I'm not trying to be a dick to those that do or those that write it, but I never bothered with it or invested any time into it. That's pretty much because no fan fiction will ever be considered canon for me unless it has that "official" tag on it. I know that sounds superficial, but that's how I operate.

Which makes things like Dragonball GT confusing, but that's an entirely different issue.

I think fan fiction and fan art are great.

Canon/not canon would still be a thing regardless of copyright law. The terms indicate what is derivative and what isn't.

It's terrible when people plagiarize your art/story and try to pass it off as their own idea. Even when no money is involved, it's such a disrespectful thing to do to another artist.

Copyright laws just make it so you can use the law to punish them. (Not saying that there are flaws to it but that's the idea.)

Most of the Sayian Saga Movies are flat out impossible. Despite that I still enjoyed The World's Strongest.
Doesn't that one take place right before the Saiyan saga? Between Dead Zone and the beginning of the saga?
I think fan fiction and fan art are great.

Canon/not canon would still be a thing regardless of copyright law. The terms indicate what is derivative and what isn't.

It's terrible when people plagiarize your art/story and try to pass it off as their own idea. Even when no money is involved, it's such a disrespectful thing to do to another artist.

Copyright laws just make it so you can use the law to punish them. (Not saying that there are flaws to it but that's the idea.)
I'm aware of what copyright is.

There is no conceivable way I can justify my mindset that will be satisfactory to anyone here. It is how it is.

Man the Hawk family has serious issue with lawyers and any sort of due process. Remember in Young Justice, during the trial, how you could clearly tell that Hawkman was desperately trying not to genocide an entire planet?
I didn't pay too much attention to Hawkman, dude was barely in the show.

Trey

When we look at the public domain, we see that this sentiment is demonstrably false. The most exceedingly simple example of this is the Christian Bible, which has been translated thousands of times into hundreds of different languages (and their permutations), and interpreted differently an innumerable amount of times by an innumerable amount of people across all genres.

Just the same, no one cares about the canonicity of the ice princess fairy tale that Frozen uses as the base for its story.

I think if IPs weren't protected by law, which is to say every idea belonged to the public domain, the idea of canonicity wouldn't exist. At least not nearly at the levels it exists today in pop media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom