• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

Doesn't that one take place right before the Saiyan saga? Between Dead Zone and the beginning of the saga?

I'm aware of what copyright is.

There is no conceivable way I can justify my mindset that will be satisfactory to anyone here. It is how it is.

Nope, Goku knows Kaioken, and he Spirit Bomb...as well as him being alive and all.

Lol damn. Lawyers do tend to get in the way at times though. I mean they're a necessary evil, but still.
Well, the League members put themselves on trial because they almost succeded in the genocide of said planet (under mind-control, but still). So, I mean, shit happens.
When we look at the public domain, we see that this sentiment is demonstrably false. The most exceedingly simple example of this is the Christian Bible, which has been translated thousands of times into hundreds of different languages (and their permutations), and interpreted differently an innumerable amount of times by an innumerable amount of people across all genres.

Just the same, no one cares about the canonicity of the ice princess fairy tale that Frozen uses as the base for its story.

I think if IPs weren't protected by law, which is to say every idea belonged to the public domain, the idea of canonicity wouldn't exist. At least not nearly at the levels it exists today in pop media.
You're probably right.
Nope, Goku knows Kaioken, and he Spirit Bomb...as well as him being alive and all.
Ah, I gotcha. There was this YouTube video a friend of mine listened to, and the entire thing was just about Dragonball's time lines. I'm sure, based on that, every single movie could be argued to fit into a different timeline.

Probably the only good thing. (I actually like that form more the SSJG)
Super Sayian God isn't even much of a transformation. GT's biggest problem was that nobody could beat anybody except either Goku or amped up Gogeta. The fight choreography wasn't much of an improvement either.

Super Sayian God isn't even much of a transformation. GT's biggest problem was that nobody could beat anybody except either Goku or amped up Gogeta. The fight choreography wasn't much of an improvement either.

Pretty much. Literally everyone is just fucking useless. That was an issue before GT though. The Buu saga was probably the major start of it. It carried into GT, and quite frankly into the Battle of the Gods saga (is it okay to say that? That it's a saga?) as well.

Pretty much. Literally everyone is just fucking useless. That was an issue before GT though. The Buu saga was probably the major start of it. It carried into GT, and quite frankly into the Battle of the Gods saga (is it okay to say that? That it's a saga?) as well.
Nobody could even touch Bearus until Vegeta got his, "He smacked my bitch up" power up. I like Goku, but he shouldn't be the only one allowed to beat people. Even Yusuke's crew is allowed to beat people.

360pages

The Buu Saga really started to show how useless everyone was. Which is strange considering the Cell Saga had a wide showing of fights.

Also, Xenoverse is looking to actually be pretty good.

The Buu Saga really started to show how useless everyone was. Which is strange considering the Cell Saga had a wide showing of fights.

If Vegeta wasn't so damn cocky he could've killed Imperfect Cell, Mystic Gohan should've killed Ultimate Buu or whatever the hell he called himself after he absorbed Gotenks and Piccolo. People only seemed to actually be useless against Kid Buu...SSJ3 Gotenks was about to kill Buu as well.

360pages

If Vegeta wasn't so damn cocky he could've killed Imperfect Cell, Mystic Gohan should've killed Ultimate Buu or whatever the hell he called himself after he absorbed Gotenks and Piccolo. People only seemed to actually be useless against Kid Buu...SSJ3 Gotenks was about to kill Buu as well.

Well, the Buu Saga suffered from everyone holding the idiot ball.

Gotenks could have killed Super Buu, same with Gohan before Super Buu Absorbed Piccolo and Gotenks. Hell, even Goku could have killed Buu, but wanted to give everyone else a chance...

Well, the Buu Saga suffered from everyone holding the idiot ball.

Gotenks could have killed Super Buu, same with Gohan before Super Buu Absorbed Piccolo and Gotenks. Hell, even Goku could have killed Buu, but wanted to give everyone else a chance...
You would think Goku would've learned his lesson after the Cell Saga...

Nobody could even touch Bearus until Vegeta got his, "He smacked my bitch up" power up. I like Goku, but he shouldn't be the only one allowed to beat people. Even Yusuke's crew is allowed to beat people.
That's because Team Urameshi were all insanely strong. Hiei and Kurama were ridiculously powerful demons, Yusuke was a mazoku, and Kuwabara had the single most spirit potential out of literally anyone. He could have been stronger than the other three.

Cell saga also had someone who wasn't Goku beating the big bad.
I never really understood the power schema involving Mystic Gohan. There's so much debate as to how strong he actually is. As for Gotenks, they could have killed him, but then because they're little shits they dicked around to much because they forgot how long they can maintain that form.

360pages

That's because Team Urameshi were all insanely strong. Hiei and Kurama were ridiculously powerful demons, Yusuke was a mazoku, and Kuwabara had the single most spirit potential out of literally anyone. He could have been stronger than the other three.

Cell saga also had someone who wasn't Goku beating the big bad.

I never really understood the power schema involving Mystic Gohan. There's so much debate as to how strong he actually is. As for Gotenks, they could have killed him, but then because they're little shits they dicked around to much because they forgot how long they can maintain that form.

Gohan was the strongest not fused character...too bad it was wasted because he was too cocky and didn't kill Super Buu Outright.

I think the Buu Saga was the biggest example of a story folding in on itself o make it continue and have Goku be the hero. (It was rumored that Gohan was supposed to kill Buu, but people didn't like him as much as Goku, so they made him finish Buu)

Gohan was the strongest not fused character...too bad it was wasted because he was too cocky and didn't kill Super Buu Outright.

I think the Buu Saga was the biggest example of a story folding in on itself o make it continue and have Goku be the hero. (It was rumored that Gohan was supposed to kill Buu, but people didn't like him as much as Goku, so they made him finish Buu)
That season took the biggest leaps in logic, it's not even funny actually. If they had written Gohan better than the audience would've liked him more. Usually out of the group shows the main is rarely my favorite. I like Kurama and Hiei more than Yusuke and Sailor Mars and Jupiter are my favorite Sailor Scouts.
Team Urameshi will always be better than the Z Fighters. The dynamic between Yusuke and his crew just can't be beat. Hiei racked up such a body count during the Dark Tournament, his fights were pretty much like 80's Mike Tyson fights, shit was hilarious.

Daemul

I tried watching Kill la kill once, I didn't get very far, it was a bit too crazy for me. Let's see how far Trey manages to go :p

I tried watching Kill la kill once, I didn't get very far, it was a bit too crazy for me. Let's see how far Trey manages to go :p
It's definitely a show where you're either like, "What the fuck is this shit!" and stop watching or you're like, "Fuck it I'm in." I watched it twice so far and found it enjoyable both times in.

It's definitely a show where you're either like, "What the fuck is this shit!" and stop watching or you're like, "Fuck it I'm in." I watched it twice so far and found it enjoyable both times in.

Trying to tie it within Korra verse.... I knew Suyin wasn't right in the head!! And you say I'm wrong when I say she probably subjected Kuvira to purification.

Kinvara

I'm aware of what copyright is.

There is no conceivable way I can justify my mindset that will be satisfactory to anyone here. It is how it is.

I wasn't trying to argue with ya.

If you don't like fanfic/art then that's fine. I was just talking about canon again mostly.

When we look at the public domain, we see that this sentiment is demonstrably false. The most exceedingly simple example of this is the Christian Bible, which has been translated thousands of times into hundreds of different languages (and their permutations), and interpreted differently an innumerable amount of times by an innumerable amount of people across all genres.

Just the same, no one cares about the canonicity of the ice princess fairy tale that Frozen uses as the base for its story.

I think if IPs weren't protected by law, which is to say every idea belonged to the public domain, the idea of canonicity wouldn't exist. At least not nearly at the levels it exists today in pop media.

But even the Christian Bible despite it's many translations has certain indisputable parts of its "canon"- the big one being Jesus plus other major details.

If a text deviates from too many of these core canon elements then it's no longer a Christian Bible.

I just came across another pic where Ragyo is about to subject Opal to purification.

I'll ship it.
Lol I wonder if there's any Ranma 1/2 and Korra crossover art. The characters are actually pretty interchangeable if you think about it. Korra is Ranma, Kuvira is Ukyo, Bolin is Moose, Mako is Tatewaki, Tenzin is Genma, Jinora is probably Kasumi, Who the fuck is Kodachi...Opal?

Veelk

Banned
But even the Christian Bible despite it's many translations has certain indisputable parts of its "canon"- the big one being Jesus plus other major details.

If a text deviates from too many of these core canon elements then it's no longer a Christian Bible.

But isn't the separations of Judaism and Christianity from the fact that they don't see the New Testament as the real canon? Muslims also see Jesus as a messanger from God and Messiah, but not the Son of God. They just see him as another prophet. And I vaguely recall from my religion classes that some eastern religions like Hinduism saw Jesus as an avatar (not the TLA kind).

Whats canon in these cases?

DBZ should've ended after Cell.

Buu saga had some cool moments, but they're all so superficial that the arc sucked. "Oh Vegeta is evil? Guess not. Vegetas dead after sacrificing himself? Oh guess not, Buus still alive. Oh you can go SSJ3 and kill fat Buu? Too bad I'm Goku I put billions of lives in danger so other people have a chance to fight. Oh Gohan is now the most powerful fighter in the universe? Nope, get absorbed scrub"

Goku as the messiah and savior ruined DBZ

360pages

Buu saga had some cool moments, but they're all so superficial that the arc sucked. "Oh Vegeta is evil? Guess not. Vegetas dead after sacrificing himself? Oh guess not, Buus still alive. Oh you can go SSJ3 and kill fat Buu? Too bad I'm Goku I put billions of lives in danger so other people have a chance to fight. Oh Gohan is now the most powerful fighter in the universe? Nope, get absorbed scrub"

Goku as the messiah and savior ruined DBZ

Yeah, Cell was the perfect stopping point, Goku being able to kill Fat Buu, but not doing it always stuck out to be as the stupidest moment ever. I can see him doing it if Vegeta and Gohan was still in the game.

But both of them were dead at that moment. And he decides to leave the fate of the world to two kids? Why? I can see him realizing that he was dead and he shouldn't meddle...but why the fuck did he even go there in the first place? Hell he meddled all the way up to when he fought Fat Buu Why not just finish I out?

Trey

You mean Frieza.

Yep, I wonder how far Trey got so far. Can't wait for the meltdown/reaction.

I'm on episode 8. The show ranges from "the fuck?" to pretty hype. I'm anxious because I heard I didn't even get to the most questionable part yet, and I already witnessed a ghoul sailor uniform all but rape a girl. There's a lot of peaks and valleys to this show.

For example, people disrobe pretty much every three minutes in this show and I'm just like

PJacGEw.jpg

but then some dope, hype shit happens and I quickly arrive at
ohhh.png

And I stopped taking it seriously since midway through the first episode when I realized what it was. don't worry.

I'm on episode 8. The show ranges from "the fuck?" to pretty hype. I'm anxious because I heard I didn't even get to the most questionable part yet, and I already witnessed a ghoul sailor uniform all but rape a girl. There's a lot of peaks and valleys to this show.

For example, people disrobe pretty much every three minutes in this show and I'm just like

PJacGEw.jpg

but then some dope, hype shit happens and I quickly arrive at
ohhh.png

And I stopped taking it seriously since midway through the first episode when I realized what it was. don't worry.
The Gamagoori reveal is fucking hilarious.

Was he stronger than Goku SSJ3? Because he gets bodied right quick in Battle of the Gods.
That season took the biggest leaps in logic, it's not even funny actually. If they had written Gohan better than the audience would've liked him more. Usually out of the group shows the main is rarely my favorite. I like Kurama and Hiei more than Yusuke and Sailor Mars and Jupiter are my favorite Sailor Scouts.

Team Urameshi will always be better than the Z Fighters. The dynamic between Yusuke and his crew just can't be beat. Hiei racked up such a body count during the Dark Tournament, his fights were pretty much like 80's Mike Tyson fights, shit was hilarious.
"I suppose my right arm will do" will always be one of the greatest moments I've ever seen. That, and "A mulberry is a tree, Kuwabara is a man."
For all the issues with book 2 this is one scene I can't wait to see again when I pick up the Blu-Ray. For some reason I always find the sound of old era snu fighters to be chill inducing.
Book 2 looks phenomenal on Blu-ray.
I wasn't trying to argue with ya.

If you don't like fanfic/art then that's fine. I was just talking about canon again mostly.
I understand. I just really did not want another canon debate to start.

Lethe82

Banned
I can imagine that being how Kuvira and Bataar were able to relate to each other because Bataar is the only one that's not an individual of sorts. He just takes after his father and with Kuvira I'm going to assume he saw a lot of the world and how it really works with her. It's a bit of an emancipation for the both of them from being kept in a bird cage. Dude's intelligent so being locked up would stifle his creativity. Kuvira sure as fuck isn't stupid either and was actually one of the more politically savvy people on the show, way more savvy than Su that's for damn sure.

This Lyrics are the closest thing to a Kuvira song that I have found thus far for what I can imagine she was going through living in Zaofoo up to leaving.

Along with the changes to Zaheer that I mentioned earlier, your posts got me thinking about Kuvira and how she became unhinged; a poster (a while ago, maybe they can see this and link the post in question?) made a back story for Kuvira that involved the Dai li.

I think it would have been neat if we had actually seen the Dai li playing an advisory role and handling/helping to push Kuvira into the more unpleasant' logistical element (like labor camps etc). As the season goes on and things go more and more sideways we see them having greater influence over Kuvira's decisions. What started as great intentions giving way to desperate justifications, and we as the viewer even gets hints that they might be brain washing her.

"But that just takes away her agency and absolves her from the things she has done'" and that would be correct, until Kuvira wakes up in the spirit world disoriented (following Korra basically performing the single greatest feat in the history of Avatar let's be honest) only to have a Dha Li agent come to 'help her'. This is where it turns weird the discourse had been getting increasing familiar and assertive throughout the season, assertive obviously, now the agent is deeming her a failure, saying things like 'no wonder your parents abandoned you and Kuvira only kept you around as a decoration; it was a mistake to place the fate of Earth Empire in the hands of a nothing like you'.

Kuvira would be furious (and probably upset at her failure etc), lashing back, but we the viewer (and Korra) can see that there is no one else in the scene, only Kuvira arguing against nothingness.

Actually I'm not sure how I feel about this direction for her character, but I do like it more closely tying a parallel between Kuvira and Korra (mental illness). It shows how both of them (and people in general) need the help, support, and love of others around them.

Korra being unable to really accept help and running away for 3 years did more harm than good for her and likewise Kuvira bears deep scars from her childhood and then upbringing. It would rely somewhat on looping this all back around to the upbringing Kuvira had under Su, which seemed somewhat cruel from a certain reading and there being more of a nuanced shades-of-grey portrayal of Kuvira/Batarr Jr and Su. Even having Batarr Jr care for Kuvira deeply and there have been some history of depression or issues with Kuvira that Su never paid enough attention to would have helped and also added something to their relationship imo.

Instead Batarr Jr was smirking like an evil person from the moment he was reintroduced so the viewer could know who the 'bad guys' are, but I feel like the meat of the story is actually a lot more interesting than that. Especially with the kind of perspective you mentioned above.

No Korra/Kuvira shipping here, but I would have also liked it if in the end Korra had refused to turn Kuvira over to the authorities and instead tried to help her, or put her in place (or in the care of another... Zaheer?) that would attempt to help her work through her issues. It would have shown Korra's full maturation as the Avatar (working outside of the established order doing what she feels in best for the world and individuals), and fully stepping out of the 'shadow' of her teachers and mentors throughout the series (who would no doubt have objected, but I would like to think that Tazen would have accepted and even referred to her as 'Avatar Korra').

On the flip side this would make KorrAsami harder since KUVIRA KILLED ASAMI'S FATHER... not sure how I'd work around that one...

I'm trying to decide how half baked this whole concept is, I mean Kuvira was going nutso in season 4, having her cracking under the pressure and externalizing the responsibility for her actions (because she couldn't integrate what she wanted with what she felt she had no choice but to do to accomplish her goals for the greater good) would help reconcile some issues with her characterization.

Lethe82

Banned
No no no THIS is the perfect Kuvira song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-rj8HVW3PQ

I've come here from nowhere
Across the unforgiving sea
Drifting further and further
It's all becoming clear to me

But violent winds are upon us and I can't sleep
Internal temperatures rising
And all the voices won't recede

I've finally found what I was looking for
A place where I can be without remorse
Because I am a stranger who has found
An even stranger war
I've finally found what I was looking for

Here I come

La chaleur me dérange
Mais c'est le grincement du bateau qui m'a réveillé

I sharpen the knife
And look down upon the bay
For all of my life
A stranger I remain
A stranger I remain
A stranger I remain

:p

Good pick, you're probably right.

Huh, I never knew/forgot that Avatar Kyoshi created/trained the Dai Li. That lady really gave all the fucks.

latest

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Dai_Li

And yes, we better get a Legend of Korra Game 2, that and Revengance 2, pretty please.

MGR:R2 is happening. Guaranteed. TLoK, I think, was actually fairly profitable. It was made for a small budget and was at the very least in the Top 10 for Steam the week it dropped. So that's something.

Also remember when the Dai Li were a threat? Got bodied so hard in Change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom