• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well if you don't like it you're homophobic and if you think the relationship didn't get enough characterization then you were looking at it through a "hetero-lens." Good way to brush off criticism. I'm glad this was perfectly executed in his head, if only he translated it onto the screen.

Edit: and it still isn't at all imprtant to the series and undeserving of being the period of the whole thing

Very cool write up glad to read they decided to put the speculation to rest. Really interested in the Book 4 commentary tracks for the final arc of the last episode.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I hope all the people who were in denial now realize that when 95% of the people have something figured out, it's probably true.

I hope that their next adventure they can pick up on and look for the subtle hints better, and realize that not everything has to be spelled out for you.

Its too bad they couldn't use good writing to justify it in the show rather than post about it on tumblr.

kiss.gif

Nailed it.

Well if you don't like it you're homophobic and if you think the relationship didn't get enough characterization then you were looking at it through a "hetero-lens." Good way to brush off criticism. I'm glad this was perfectly executed in his head, if only he translated it onto the screen.

I can't say it's suprising, tbh. He's reacted to LoK criticism in this way on multiple occasions.

ChuggaCC

Neo Member
Honestly, I think what moves bryke might have made were shot down by Nick. Some people could see the beginnings of a relationship at the very start of season 4, when it was only Asami that Korra would write to. It felt like a decent building up imo.

Afrocious

Too fabulous for that canon.

tumblr_ngzqh2BenD1revji4o1_1280.jpg

Its too bad they couldn't use good writing to justify it in the show rather than post about it on tumblr.

Considering this is a show where a person couldn't outright say someone killed someone, I honestly think the censorship prevented more.

Though I do think scenes throughout 3 and 4 hinted at something more than friendship.

Kinvara

Bryan Konietzko said:
Was it a slam-dunk victory for queer representation? I think it falls short of that, but hopefully it is a somewhat significant inching forward.

Probably my favorite line from both of the write-ups.

My rankings of the seasons:

1. ATLA season 3
2. ATLA season 1
3. LoK season 3
4. ATLA season 2
5. Second half of LoK season 2 (I feel like this should be split from the first half).
6. LoK season 4
7. LoK season 1

8. First half of LoK season 2

I wasn't as much of a fan of the first season of LoK as most people. I didn't enjoy the first half of the season much at all. I liked the second half more but still. I think season 2 gets shitted on a little too much. The first half of the season is awful, but the second half starting with Beginnings was pretty good. I'm also not as big of fan of season 2 of ATLA as most people. Azula's character is just too perfect for me to enjoy her. It wasn't until she started breaking down in the second half of season 3 I started to like her more.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Honestly, I think what moves bryke might have made were shot down by Nick. Some people could see the beginnings of a relationship at the very start of season 4, when it was only Asami that Korra would write to. It felt like a decent building up imo.

I think people are more upset that they did it, but it could have gone either way and felt lame. Like go for it 100% or don't do it at all kind of thing.

As in, Aang very clearly liked Katara from the start, there was never a question that they would end up together, and that story was told well with suspense and awkwardness and them coming close a few times.

But Korra and Asami could've walked into the spirit portal, not held hands and it wouldn't have felt out of place. At the end of AtLA, Katara couldn't have walked up to Aang and just shook his hands like "Good job little bro!" It would be entirely out of no where.

XAL

Yup.

Zidy

Yeah, I dunno, I think it was very well hinted that their romance was blossoming. I guess people just need it to be spelled out? Honestly, I think it was a romance better handled than any romance in both these series. It felt organic, it just happened. It didn't need to be constantly sown into our minds every few episodes. Two people just fell in love because of their time together. Especially considering the little time Bryke had to do any character development and the limitations they had of showing a homosexual relationship in a kids show.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I dunno, I think it was very well hinted that their romance was blossoming. I guess people just need it to be spelled out? Honestly, I think it was a romance better handled than any romance in both these series. It felt organic, it just happened. It didn't need to be constantly sown into our minds every few episodes. Two people just fell in love because of their time together. Especially considering the little time Bryke had to do any character development and the limitations they had of showing a homosexual relationship in a kids show.

Most of the people here though it was what it actually was: the start of Korrasami, but there were still some people here that were "they're just really good female friends!"

Sai-kun

Banned
Never posted here and the only episodes of Avatar I've seen are the last 5-6 of this season, but I've gotta say that I am super happy that Korrasami is real. It's not perfectly represented, but it's something, and it counts.

:) the tears are real <3

360pages

On the flip side of the write up, I personally don't see a problem with romance in series if it has enough build up to it.

The line where a Female is earned by the male as a Trophy and Mako and Korra break up making them respect each other as people. (This is hilarious since the broke up in the worse way possible the first time, and the second time was because Mako legit was an idiot) No, Korra went crazy and Mako bailed.

Added points, because Asami's entire character almost feels like a Trophy for either Korra or Mako. She really didn't have much motivations past helping her friends, I still have no idea what her plans are or even what she likes.

With that said, I'm glad it ended on Korra/Asami. I also don't hate the write up at all, it's just a strange one too me at least. Combined where I just kind of saw them as friends. :Once again I don't mind them ending together, but I feel like that he is committing the exact same flaw that he rolled his eyes at in his write up (Though I'm probably just being a grumpy cat)

I'm gonna make a list of all the people who got the short stick in this show:

Lin
Mako
Tahno
Kuvira
Asami's dad.
Lin's family is oh so shitty, I really like Lin though, nice strong character, Mako's friends take him for granted, Tahno...I have no idea...I honestly thought he jumped to his death reciting Morrissey, Kuvira got fucking shafted. They got caught up in showing how dictators operate, but they forgot to give her a story. Going back to Escaflowne, the villains are dark and Dilandau's a fucking monster, but they told really good stories with their villains. Those guys had a narrative and the show took it's time telling you that story. Asami's dad was a shame. They didn't do anything with him till this season and when he comes back again he gets killed in the same manner as a mosquito.

Nesotenso

i think passing it off as people viewing everything through a hetero lens is being disingenuous. If that is their idea of telegraphing a relationship between two people they need to reexamine their work as writers.

Most of the people here though it was what it actually was: the start of Korrasami, but there were still some people here that were "they're just really good female friends!"

never would I have thought that writing letters, bringing tea or complimenting someone's haircut means something more than friendship.

Anko

I'm not surprised. A certain recent (kinda?) game DLC (
TLoU DLC
) had their leads kiss and you could still see people claiming the exact same thing. "Have you ever seen really close female friends? They kiss all the time!"

Afrocious

i think passing it off as people viewing everything through a hetero lens is being disingenuous. If that is their idea of telegraphing a relationship between two people they need to reexamine their work as writers.

Way to twist his words to come across as being offensive.

"If it seems out of the blue to you, I think a second viewing of the last two seasons would show that perhaps you were looking at it only through a hetero lens."

Also, I recall your earlier posts where you played ignorant to folks who actually felt inclined to cite where they felt a romance was beginning between the two characters.

Get over yourself.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
never would I have thought that writing letters, bringing tea or complimenting someone's haircut means something more than friendship.

and then blushing inmensely when complimented and then wasting all the conversation you have at a dinner on a little lover's argument?

Edit: and it still isn't at all imprtant to the series and undeserving of being the period of the whole thing

People stating that Korrasami was some beautifully written and subtle are full of it. Korrasami boils down to 4 minute, tacked on ham fisted scene at the end of the series. And even then nothing concrete is shown and was left just vague enough to give them an out.

The really sad part is that is what The legend of Korra will be remembered for and nothing else. A Tumbler post.

Afrocious

People stating that Korrasami was some beautifully written and subtle are full of it. Korrasami boils down to 4 minute, tacked on ham fisted scene at the end of the series. And even then nothing concrete is shown and was left just vague enough to give them an out.

The really sad part is that is what The legend of Korra will be remembered for and nothing else. A Tumbler post.

I feel like I'm becoming a broken record, but again, the scenes were there throughout book 3 and 4.

Perhaps that should be in the OP *shrug*. That'll stop posts like this.

Also lol @ the tumblr post comment. People aren't going to forget about where the show began and ended. No need to be upset about that.

But for real though, fuck that 'really sad part' nonsense. You got a gag out of me after reading that.

Sai-kun

Banned
TLoU DLC
) had their leads kiss and you could still see people claiming the exact same thing. "Have you ever seen really close female friends? They kiss all the time!"

This was the fucking worst, and so infuriating. Some people just can't stand the idea of non-hetero couples

360pages

I think that's the worst part, instead of liking it as a whole. Though the characters and story telling and writing and animation. It's going to be remembered for the fact it was one of the first Children Cartoons to portray a same-sex relationship.

There is nothing wrong with being remembered for that along with other stuff. But as a writer I hope people would enjoy all of it, not just because something was progressive, but because I honestly wrote something decent that people wanted to enjoy all of the accepts of the story. (Once again I feel like if I don't say I have nothing against the relationships outside how it was written.)

Nesotenso

Way to twist his words to come across as being offensive.

"If it seems out of the blue to you, I think a second viewing of the last two seasons would show that perhaps you were looking at it only through a hetero lens."

Also, I recall your earlier posts where you played ignorant to folks who actually felt inclined to cite where they felt a romance was beginning between the two characters.

Get over yourself.

what exactly in the last two seasons shows blossoming romance? Again excusing something as being viewed through 'hetero lens' is just covering up bad writing.

Kinvara

I like how you all are twisting Bryan and Mike's words when they flat-out admitted Korra/Asami wasn't perfect in regards to representation.

Daemul

I knew it, I fucking knew they sabotaged that Makorra romance in season 2. There's no way in hell they could have unwittingly written the worst romance in animation history, it made no sense.

Season 2 redeemed.

DominoKid

The really sad part is that is what The legend of Korra will be remembered for and nothing else.
A Tumbler post.

that's a weird way to look at it considering that the ending will probably get a lot more people to watch it and see what a great show it is.

Satch

Banned
asami is so iconic, the fumes she incites

i feel like my book 1 self again

i told yall to get into Goddessami, her seduction techniques 2 years ago but yall didnt listen.

inshallah

aly

Lin's family is oh so shitty, I really like Lin though, nice strong character, Mako's friends take him for granted, Tahno...I have no idea...I honestly thought he jumped to his death reciting Morrissey, Kuvira got fucking shafted. They got caught up in showing how dictators operate, but they forgot to give her a story. Going back to Escaflowne, the villains are dark and Dilandau's a fucking monster, but they told really good stories with their villains. Those guys had a narrative and the show took it's time telling you that story. Asami's dad was a shame. They didn't do anything with him till this season and when he comes back again he gets killed in the same manner as a mosquito.

Agreed. I personally thought there was a lot more they could've did with Tahno after he lost his bending and it would gave them a character that went from a rival to a friend, but I do acknowledge the time limits. Kuvira...... :(

Kuvira should get a comic.

Allow me to join you.

I would buy it. Zaheer and crew should get a comic as well. Screw it, give Amon his own comic too, with a rewritten and better backstory.

Seesaw15

TLoU DLC

To be fair to the doubters,
Ellie
was 13 and in the middle of the apocalypse. In the end Korrasami is great I just wish it could have had stronger writing to support it.

Afrocious

what exactly in the last two seasons shows blossoming romance? Again excusing something as being viewed through 'hetero lens' is just covering up bad writing.

Nope. You wanted to scoff that that vimeo video and then you went on to imply some folks were deluded.

Toa TAK

Banned
I knew it, I fucking knew they sabotaged that Makorra romance in season 2. There's no where in hell they could have unwittingly written the worst romance in animation history, it made no sense.

Season 2 redeemed.
Holy moly, there you have it. Book 4 really DID retroactively redeem Book 2.

I forgot who said it in the previous OT, but that was a glimmer of hope for them.

Sai-kun

Banned
Woah, that's the kind of response the
Left Behind DLC
received? Jesus that's awful.

It wasn't everyone, but if you go through the thread, you have more than a handful of people blindly arguing about how close their female friends are without being queer. Being queer myself, it was upsetting, to say the least.

I'm glad that Mike/Bryan admitted that their representation here wasn't perfect. Creators can always strive to better represent people, but this is a good step, at the very least.

Kuvira should get a comic.
I'd buy it too because she actually had some interesting stuff set up for her, we just never really saw that much of it. It'd be nice seeing the rise of some one like Korra, but she has to earn the respect and status from the ground up. People look up to Korra because she's the Avatar. Kuvira literally had to earn all of her status and prove to people that she's the right person for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom