• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
Did Azula really drop this thread because of Toa TAK? That sucks. And it looks like Korrasami dominated the thread, as expected XD

How can Korra be LGBT?

lol refuse to post in a Kuvira themed thread. TAK dun goofed. Half baked villain, half baked thread. :p

I'll be active in the new community thread.

Daemul

Can someone link me to the first page these meltdowns started happening on, I wanted to read them, but damn that thread is huge.

If you want to see REAL, unadulterated, not kept in check by the GAF modding team meltdowns, go to /co/ on 4chan. I've been told that the board was in flames in the aftermath of the finale, and people are still so salty about it today.

Magwik

Banned
Wait what happen to this thread? Meltdowns? Seems like I missed some excitement in this thread.

And I already love Kill La Kill more in many ways compare to say Korra (like a better use of the cast of characters for one). Definitely quite a enjoyable and entertaining ride so far with a interesting premise too.

If you want to really enjoy Kill La Kill the one thing you need to know is to never take it seriously. Ever.

Magwik

Banned
There is one thing that Korra got that KLK didn't...

A friggin Platinum game! Seriously, it needs to happen >_<

As much as it should happen, Platinum will never make a KLK game because they all seem to dislike the show. So much so that the Platinum Games GAF account has a tag quote about how much it will never happen.

Luigi87

As much as it should happen, Platinum will never make a KLK game because they all seem to dislike the show. So much so that the Platinum Games GAF account has a tag quote about how much it will never happen.

Well... shit.
I had no idea @_@

Well, I should probably still get around to picking up the Korra game eventually.

Omikaru

Nope. There's plenty of us who are in this thread not confused at all!

JDY3DFb.png

New wallpaper for my phone.

Kinvara

I loved Gurren Lagann but I'm not interested in Kill La Kill.

The costumes make me uncomfortable.

I don't know why people are comparing it to TLOK.

I think it's more along the lines of the whole "Kamiya got bugged too much about a new Star Fox game that he no longer had a desire to" thing. It's a similar issue. Everybody seems to think that "P* should make a KLK game!" is such an original idea, and that clearly P* must never have heard it before, so they must suggest it!

Honestly, get some people to mod Revengeance with a KLK skin and some music and call it a day. That's practically what Revengeance is any way. The KLK game before KLK.

Still, I really want a brand-new Korra game with time and budget. Made by P*. I want boss battles and alternate playable characters. Or just DLC for the current Korra game would be nice.

Wanderer5

Really? I surprise, it seems like the type of thing that is up their alley.

I don't know why people are comparing it to TLOK.

I never got that either. I mean, I really liked KLK as well, but TLoK wins it for me. It's totally understandable why someone wouldn't want to watch KLK, but I don't think it's terrible. I found it to be super fun.

My guess is the comparison goes as far as "Action and plot heavy anime-esque series with female leads." I say "anime-esque" since TLoK isn't actually an anime.

The real problem with the lack of substantial build up to Korrasami is that it's premature implementation comes off as something token, like they threw it in for PR reasons because they knew the Internet would eat it up, for better or worse. In that regard they're geniuses because there are now probably more people talking about Korra than ever before, but it feels like it cheapens the whole thing and is kind of upsetting for the fans who really just wanted a proper send off to the story.

Totally agree with this. I feel like they knew it was always going to be the lesser Avatar series and for good reasons. It's was severely hit and miss as a follow up to Aang's solid three act arc. As soon as they were free of the limits of television they very cleverly devised a means for the show to break newish ground. Kudos for doing it but it really did come from nowhere. And in the end is quite cheap.

Chariot

We need a bit of bravery to have an Avatar game where you don't play the avatar, but someone else. Maybe even in the time where Korra is growing up and not connected to the world. You don't need the world doomed to have an amazing story.

In fact, have a game where you pkay a non-bender whose best friend gets killed by a bender. So he secretly follows the tracks of the murderer and gets stronger as he fights bandits and corrupt officials. He learns martial arts, an understanding of some modern battle technology and to hit chi spots. And in the end, when he got his revenge and helped a lot of people he is approached by a mysterious masked man to become his right hand.

CDiggity

I hope that in the event of Korra comics, we get some much needed backstory, especially on the villains.

I for one would like to hear the adventures of 10 year old Ghazan with his mighty beard, or his relationship with his sister (since one of those is true), or the story of P'li stuck working for the Evil Warlord Melonlord. Or...anything about Kuvira since she's complicated, allegedly.

I think an abrupt change in tone, character motives, and story would screw with a perfectionists head more than tiny details.

I also think a perfectionist would balance their budget better so their animation doesn't
end up being a bunch of static images shaking and sliding around the screen.

So wait he's saying that in response to someone tweeting that video? Why is this in the korra thread I am confused. XD
People were talking about Kill La Kill, Platinum, and Kamiya and I thought it was relevant and amusing.

He tells people to fuck off whenever they continue to badger him about specific things

Like if you google Kamiya and fuck off, it'll show him saying fuck off Smash idiots, Star Fox idiots, exclusive idiots, etc. It's hilarious.

Wanderer5

People were talking about Kill La Kill, Platinum, and Kamiya and I thought it was relevant and amusing.

He tells people to fuck off whenever they continue to badger him about specific things

Like if you google Kamiya and fuck off, it'll show him saying fuck off Smash idiots, Star Fox idiots, exclusive idiots, etc. It's hilarious.

Heh I don't really blame him in that case. It can get annoying if people keep bugging you to do something and at times make you not want to do it.

CDiggity

I also think a perfectionist would balance their budget better so their animation doesn't
end up being a bunch of static images shaking and sliding around the screen.

One could argue that they did that as a stylistic choice to emulate some of the "cheapness" of sliding animation cels around which occurred in older anime because that series was chock full of shoutouts and injokes to 80s/early 90s stuff...but that's for the KLK community thread. Which hopefully AvatarGAF will have one day.

Season 3 of Korra, while not perfect, left me the most satisfied.

My order of all Avatar Tv seasons (best to worst):

1. ATLA season 2
2. ATLA season 3
3. Korra season 3
4. ATLA season 1
5. Korra season 1
6. Korra season 4
7. Korra season 2

Wanderer5

1. ATLA season 2
2. ATLA season 3
3. Korra season 3
4. ATLA season 1
5. Korra season 1
6. Korra season 4
7. Korra season 2

Pretty much what my list would be too.

Lethe82

Banned

1. ATLA season 2
2. ATLA season 3
3. Korra season 3
4. ATLA season 1
5. Korra season 1
6. Korra season 4
7. Korra season 2

I love how deeply personal Season 1 of Korra is. Some people called it boring, but it felt like a great change of pace from the grandiose scale of TLA. It was also the best season in terms of highlighting the different feel of The Legend of Korra, Republic city itself was an authentic and interesting character. As the series went on they went further away from the 1920-1930's styling and more towards a general TLA style world. I really loved the emphasis on industry (not just armies, but companies producing machinery) and how technology and bending with synergy was changing the world. They kind of continued to touch on that in future seasons, but mostly in tangential ways related to 'there's no need for an avatar'.

I would rank the seasons as follows.

1. Korra Season 1
2. TLA Season 2
3. TLA Season 3
4. Korra Season 3
5. TLA Season 1
6. Korra Season 4
7. Korra Season 2

We'll see how things change on a rewatch. I did rewatch TLA relatively recently and got really sick of how immature the characters acted, it seemed like every other episode was 'character X does something that gets misinterpreted by character Y and Character Y throws a huge hissy fit until the resolution of the episode that could have been avoided by like one line of dialogue'. Rushed romance in the final hour of Korra season 1 aside, it really made me appreciate the maturity of the characters in Korra season 1 and korra in general, other issues aside.

Also just posting because it is one of theb highlights of season 1 of Korra, and shows what an absolute monster she in physical combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFp13ogOqeE

I said it before but I love how she was mixing in straight up hand to hand combat with bending, and it's something I wish we saw her do more of in subsequent seasons. It helped realize some truly awesome sequences.

Ah gotcha.

360pages

Republic City could have been interesting if they actually focused on things in it. As it stands it's just a dull as back drop with barely any life to it. Which is amazing they managed to suck out all the fun of a living bending ass city, when so other animation's make their would or location lively even if they are stuck in a city or building.

I never had an issue with pro bending. Especially considering it played a role in the actual plot. They did a good job making it feel important to the world

Republic City could have been interesting if they actually focused on things in it. As it stands it's just a dull as back drop with barely any life to it. Which is amazing they managed to suck out all the fun of a living bending ass city, when so other animation's make their would or location lively even if they are stuck in a city or building.

A "Tales of Ba Sing Se" episode for Republic City would have been really interesting actually. Especially after Amon's defeat and then after the Spirit vines invaded. It could have fleshed out the characters and the city as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom