• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lethe82

Banned
Asami was still really hurting from the Mako/Korra thing (where Korra stole Mako from her let's be honest) and then she was losing everything, given the circumstance it's easy to see how she fell into the 'Oh the guy jerk that I liked messing around was a one time mistake and now we can really be together" mindset out of emotional desperation. No one is perfect and Asami had just seen her company essentially implode in front of her eyes moments before she kissed him. She was going through some shit.

Requires patience. I should just start Sigma 2 all over again because I'm stuck at that stupid water dragon thing and my long ass break from it meant I forgot how to play the fucking game. Sigma 1 is still my favorite though. Yeah you really need to learn how to block, know certain tells, dodge cheap grab throws and know which weapons work the best on certain enemies.

She's hot, but I just can't worship her. She's not "drink her bath water" level to me. I think too many characters on the show had her, Kuvira, nobody really had her.

A grand total of two characters...

Any self respecting woman wouldn't have allowed herself to be treated like that the second time. If she had stood up and went "Eat my fucking shit Mako" and stormed out when Mako allowed Korra to kiss him and act like they're still dating I would have a lot more respect for her on that front. She knew yes, but she didn't have to allow herself to get dragged down like that.

Eh, she scowled and disengaged from it entirely and wrote him off, she has better things to do then get dragged down in grade school bullshit. She didn't even try to 'keep him' after that or go along with his bullshit about how 'this is just until the crisis is over because lol women and their feels right?'

But she did. Then she jumped back on the boat. At least 33-50% (I say 33 because of Korra) of that shit is her own fault. She thought getting back into bed with Mako was apparently a good idea. Korra, her friend, leaves Republic City crying and speeding away in a motor boat (actually sounds hilarious when said out loud), and she immediately goes: "You and Korra broke up? When?" and proceeds to immediately hop on that Mako D. Keep in mind, he let it happen. In his defense though, he did not pursue, but Asami did. She had no reason to believe Mako would actually stay with her.

She's a smart girl. Better decisions could (and should) have been made.
Yeah most relationships on that show are an unmitigated clusterfuck. Only successful one is Bopal and we all know who the one in charge of that one is. I'm kind of glad we really didn't see Kainora in hindsight. I mean them interacting in Book 3 was fine because there was a bit of balance and they both liked each other, but man, Book 4 would've been interesting just to see what the fuck they even actually talk about three years later.
A grand total of two characters...
You judge a persons taste pretty well by what they're dating. Mako especially book one Mako is a half soul less simp. He got better later on in the series, but she wasn't dating that one. She was dating simp Mako.

Lethe82

Banned
People have many sides to them that they show to people, besides they hadn't been dating long before the Korra stuff got in the way, it just kicked everything into emotional overdrive. Mako was hot, it worked on both Korra and Asami until they realized what a piece of shit he was when it came to relationships, and they upgraded. She was dating 'attractive, seemingly good guy, pro bending star Mako' at the time.

You know who disappointed me the most in the show.... Kya.

She is the daughter of Katara, but managed to lose to a woman who not only spent the last 13 years in a prison cell without water to practice her bending... she didn't have arms to boot.

Yeah most relationships on that show are an unmitigated clusterfuck. Only successful one is Bopal and we all know who the one in charge of that one is. I'm kind of glad we really didn't see Kainora in hindsight. I mean them interacting in Book 3 was fine because there was a bit of balance and they both liked each other, but man, Book 4 would've been interesting just to see what the fuck they even actually talk about three years later.

I dunno, Kai is a waste of space and only serves as a boy-toy for Jinora. That's all he's good for, and to waste episodes on him in lieu of the Z-team.

Lethe82

Banned
There's way too much projection on the relationships, Mako and Asami were dating for like weeks before it imploded, she wasn't Mako's 'plaything' by any stretch. But really, even if she was his plaything (she wasn't) or too many characters on the show 'had her' (they didn't), why dislike a female character for things you give kudos to a male character for.

She is the daughter of Katara, but managed to lose to a woman who not only spent the last 13 years in a prison cell without water to practice her bending... she didn't have arms to boot.

Kya was a good water bender but she never seemed like the person to really commit herself to anything and that probably went for the overall effort she put into bending as well. Free spirit until the day she dies, at least she is happy.

Daemul

I dunno, Kai is a waste of space and only serves as a boy-toy for Jinora. That's all he's good for, and to waste episodes on him in lieu of the Z-team.

After his build up I expected some massive pay off at the end of the series, and nothing happened, he literally became a mute.

Lethe82

Banned
After his build up I expected some massive pay off at the end of the series, and nothing happened, he literally became a mute.

I think it was the best call they could have made, really they should have trimmed a little more fat from the roster in a similar way.

Hamlet

She did it almost beat Zaheer and you have to remember that the Red Lotus crew are supposed to be the elite of the elite. Kya is also shown to be one of the very best water healers out there. So no small feat.

She did it almost beat Zaheer and you have to remember that the Red Lotus crew are supposed to be the elite of the elite. Kya is also shown to be one of the very best water healers out there. So no small feat.

As naturally talented as Zaheer was, he was still an amateur air bender as evidenced by his battle against Tenzin. I have no doubt Kya could've beat him, but she still had no business losing against Ming-Hua... elite or not, a 13 year bid will deteriorate your skills.

Kya was a good water bender but she never seemed like the person to really commit herself to anything and that probably went for the overall effort she put into bending as well. Free spirit until the day she dies, at least she is happy.

I know, but I just watched the ATLA episode where Katara blood bent the captain of the Southern Raiders and I'm thinking "they may clown her for being the goody two-shoes that always cries about hope.... but damn can she fuckin put in work, damn shame that didn't pass on to her daughter"

You judge a persons taste pretty well by what they're dating. Mako especially book one Mako is a half soul less simp. He got better later on in the series, but she wasn't dating that one. She was dating simp Mako.
The relationship itself is understandable: both are dealing with overwhelming stress and need something comforting in their life, so they both turn to something familiar. I just don't get how people can put the blame on Mako for that, and none on Asami.

Kya wasn't really a fighter, though. I mean, she could hold her own in a scrap no doubt. She always came off as more of a healer, though.
Kai would have gotten more focus if they had actually focused on Jinora, the most wasted character on the show.

Daemul

I think it was the best call they could have made, really they should have trimmed a little more fat from the roster in a similar way.

They shouldn't have added him at all if they were going to end up going down this route, he took up valuable air time

The relationship itself is understandable: both are dealing with overwhelming stress and need something comforting in their life, so they both turn to something familiar. I just don't get how people can put the blame on Mako for that, and none on Asami.

Because Mako was the douche in all of it

Lethe82

Banned
I know, but I just watched the ATLA episode where Katara blood bent the captain of the Southern Raiders and I'm thinking "they may clown her for being the goody two-shoes that always cries about hope.... but damn can she fuckin put in work, damn shame that didn't pass on to her daughter"

Kya wasn't really a fighter, though. I mean, she could hold her own in a scrap no doubt. She always came off as more of a healer, though.

All good points, I haven't seen season 3 in so long that it slipped my mind. I guess she deserves more credit than I gave her.

They shouldn't have added him at all if they were going to end up going down this route, he took up valuable air time

I actually found that he gave Mako and Bolin something interesting to do in book 3 and I didn't mind his inclusion, but after that I felt like his story was done more or less. I felt like he was a good reflection of how Mako probably use to be as a street rat.

This is true, Asami isn't blameless sure (but her kissing him is pretty understandable given the circumstance), but Mako is the one who fucked everything up multiple times over with all of them.

His kiss with Korra at the end, which then culminated with Korra going "Nah bruh dis ain't gon work"? Remembrances puts obvious emphasis on Mako not handling relationships in the best way, which is true, but I have a question for you: if the response to the question "You and Korra broke up?" is "I guess," do you think the proceeding relationship will end well?

Like, again, Asami knew. Especially considering how she reacted to it with a slight frown. They both made equally poor decisions and responded as expected.

Daemul

His kiss with Korra at the end, which then culminated with Korra going "Nah bruh dis ain't gon work"? Remembrances puts obvious emphasis on Mako not handling relationships in the best way, which is true, but I have a question for you: if the response to the question "You and Korra broke up?" is "I guess," do you think the proceeding relationship will end well?

Like, again, Asami knew. Especially considering how she reacted to it with a slight frown. They both made equally poor decisions and responded as expected.

True, Asami does share some blame, but Mako with his indecisiveness caused a huge mess, and now the dude has to carry a skyscraper size L for the rest of his life due to his mistakes.

There's way too much projection on the relationships, Mako and Asami were dating for like weeks before it imploded, she wasn't Mako's 'plaything' by any stretch. But really, even if she was his plaything (she wasn't) or too many characters on the show 'had her' (they didn't), why dislike a female character for things you give kudos to a male character for.
I'm probably projecting a bit. I've been in situations where I reach out to something a bit familiar only to get badly burned. And I don't give Mako kudos for much outside of drawing a breath. I think they're both at fault really for even trying to restart a relationship that ended with a lot of venom. They both should've been like "this isn't going to work" before Korra leeped back into the picture.
kya got her shit rocked by Ming because she was fighting a water bender that knew how to use the element in a way that gave her more power, she pretty much fed off that shit.

Thought that dubious honour was awarded to Asami? Or was it misused? Either or. Jinora was at least used as a device for two finales.

Asami had about equal focus in each season in the show past Book 1. Jinora, on the other hand, is a side character in Book 1, has her own story arcs in Books 2 and 3, then gets nothing in Book 4. Even in the mission she's supposed to be useful in (finding Korra) she doesn't seem to actually do much. Ikki saves the day (the best airbending child).

Jinora, who is supposed to be an airbending master...Jinora, who has a growth arc over the show...Jinora, who is a plot device at least once...gets regulated to background for the final season.

Utter and absolute waste of a character and the only major negative thing I hold towards this series. Mind you, I do think Asami should have gotten more time, but only because the writers clearly want us to accept her as a member of the core crew. If they'd let her just drift away like (and let's be honest now) she probably should have, there would not be an issue.

Asami had about equal focus in each season in the show past Book 1. Jinora, on the other hand, is a side character in Book 1, has her own story arcs in Books 2 and 3, then gets nothing in Book 4. Even in the mission she's supposed to be useful in (finding Korra) she doesn't seem to actually do much. Ikki saves the day (the best airbending child).

Jinora, who is supposed to be an airbending master...Jinora, who has a growth arc over the show...Jinora, who is a plot device at least once...gets regulated to background for the final season.

Utter and absolute waste of a character and the only major negative thing I hold towards this series.
Yet she still manages to find the time to get captured in the last season when she was supposed to take a level in badass. Fucking useless.

I'm actually trying to romance that chick in Dragon Age Inquisition.

bruh....
ySP81Uf.gif

SHE HELPED SAVED THE GODDAMN WORLD FOR FUCK'S SAKE!
And she kept getting damseled every season after that. Her claims to fame are saving the world and helping Korra beat Zaheer. Everything beyond that is just her being either annoying or having to be saved. She has her nose in the air like her shit don't stink all the time. Korra saved the world multiple times. Don't save her from getting ridiculed either.

Like, S4 is such a bummer season. It genuinely is. Just such a waste, and it's hard to say that considering it has episodes I really enjoy (Operation Beifong, Reunion, Day of the Colossus), but just as a whole, it loses to every single Avatarverse season. Every single one.

And she kept getting damseled every season after that. Her claims to fame are saving the world and helping Korra beat Zaheer. Everything beyond that is just her being either annoying or having to be saved. She has her nose in the air like her shit don't stink all the time. Korra saved the world multiple times. Don't save her from getting ridiculed either.

The thing is Jinora's arc is so different. Korra is the Avatar, a prominent figure in the world. She was headstrong and not the best at thinking so good, but then she was humbled and figured her way out. Jinora starts out as just an airbender. She started out humble. Then, she helps Korra save the world and acts like it's no big thing. Book 3 is where she comes into her own, with the assistance of Kai. She realizes that she is strong and powerful, and she has leadership qualities. She is capable of being an airbending master. She then reaches that goal and...nothing. She acts smug and uppity, but nothing to back it up. No character arc. Just "this is Jinora now" and that's all folks.

Fucking bummer, is what that is.

SystemBug

Both Bayonettas and The Wonderful 101 are fucking gorgeous looking and really unique visually, and Madworld also goes for that Sin City look. MGR looks like a Metal Gear game.

I'd agree that Anarchy Reigns is probably their worst looking game. I can't on any other game, even Vanquish which is arguably the most boring game when it comes to visuals.

Sorry but Bayonetta isn't gorgeous. And sure, MGSR looks like a Metal Gear game on a PS2 with shittier art direction.

Daemul

I never knew there were so many Platinum fans in KorraGAF, though seeing how popular Platinum are on GAF in general, I guess it shouldn't be a surprise lol

SystemBug

I never knew there were so many Platinum fans in KorraGAF, though seeing how popular Platinum are on GAF in general, I guess it shouldn't be a surprise lol

I am a fan of Platinum but I still don't give them a free pass for making ugly games like everybody else seems to. I'm not saying the devs need to give the games the best graphics, but just make it not ugly.

Veelk

Banned
Bayonetta 1

Play Bayonetta 2 and you'll have played the best games they put out.

I have Wonderful 101 but I haven't been able to play it yet. From the little I have played though, it's not clicking with me. Apparently, this is one of those games that just really hard to 'get', but once you do, it's like you've achieved nirvana.

I have Wonderful 101 but I haven't been able to play it yet. From the little I have played though, it's not clicking with me. Apparently, this is one of those games that just really hard to 'get', but once you do, it's like you've achieved nirvana.

No Wii U :(

My roommate who just moved in has one, but he hasn't taken it out due to him mainly playing on PC these days.

They are basically an arse-looking game(s) with directional combat. I think I spent only a couple hundred hours on singleplayer/mods before spending ~2000 hours on the multiplayer/mods. Those hours pretty much cemented my preference for games with historical settings. From the Viking Age to WW1. Hell even the War of 1870 was a thing for awhile in that small multiplayer community. Of course there were silly stuff like pseduo-MMO mods and the like. Heh, despite a lot these recordings were published a year ago or so, I feel oddly nostalgic. Mainly because I came into the multiplayer scene in its twilight days, it's mostly dead now.. The game is more than four years old after all and its mainly known for its singleplayer. C'est la vie.

So Call of Duty - ancient warfare
:p

Sorry but Bayonetta isn't gorgeous. And sure, MGSR looks like a Metal Gear game on a PS2 with shittier art direction.
Don't apologize. Genuinely a pet peeve of mine. When people say "sorry" when they disagree. It feels condescending. Don't do that.

I think Bayonetta looks fantastic (save for that PS3 version...whoosh) and I love the look. Also, let's not act like "art direction" and "image quality" are the same thing. Art direction is way too general of a term. MGR hardly looks like a PS2 game. That's some good hyperbole, though.

Basically. Bayonetta 2 really is fantastic. Based Hashimoto.

TW101 is exactly what you think. It has a certain wall. It has to click, and some people just don't know how to play. It's a very different kind of game. My thing has always been "if you aren't enjoying yourself, don't play." I really get tired of going in to the gaming section and seeing "When does ______ get fun?" or "When does ______ stop being ______?" That being said, TW101 really does have a rough curve. If you really want to put in the time and are willing, I encourage you to continue, because it 100% pays off. If you aren't, then don't, because you are in for a long ride.

Wow my schedule is hectic now. I'm super late to say this, but good to see i'm not the only one who finds Bayonetta's artstyle and general color scheme ugly.

I find it uglier than MGR. MGR looks bland for the type of game it is. It almost clashes, because the game is so stylish, but the artstyle doesn't even try to be.

But I don't mind that much at all though. It makes sense since it takes place in the MGS universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom