• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see eight games mentioned by name, still plenty of room to vote for Okami.
I love a lot of games, it's really hard for me to just vote for one.
Christ almighty, Toa cover your eyes.
I_need_it_id1372410519_172387.jpg

This whole show was a waste of potential. Everyone, every relationship and every aspect of the story had room to be SO much better it's just ugh Bryke

I put blame on Nick for a lot of this too

As a character, Asami's squandered potential hurts the most.

I buy that easily, because she's pushed as a main character and never has the feel of one beyond Book 1. Jinora's character lacking any true pay-off is infuriating and rage inducing. At least Asami puts in work and gets cool action sequences.

Lethe82

Banned
True, Asami does share some blame, but Mako with his indecisiveness caused a huge mess, and now the dude has to carry a skyscraper size L for the rest of his life due to his mistakes.

tumblr_inline_mvnzjvgsrI1rdy38v.gif

Which makes this picture all the sweeter

tumblr_nh92q6XLxn1qlcu7io3_1280.png

they both upgraded big time and he's left to watch Prince Wu pee.

It's also good that they both more or less realized individually that they wouldn't work with Mako (Korra and he are too similar and bring out the worst in one another, and with Asami, well, Mako is a big floosy) and both of them called it quits on that well before they started getting into their own relationship.

This whole show was a waste of potential. Everyone, every relationship and every aspect of the story had room to be SO much better it's just ugh Bryke

It's also down to how the stories are structured as per season 1 offs, it means that a lot of time has to be devoted to establishing pieces on the board and then in service to the movement of said pieces. Were as you get a lot more room to breath creatively when you can plan out the broad strokes of a single story over three seasons.

tumblr_inline_mvnzjvgsrI1rdy38v.gif

Which makes this picture all the sweeter

tumblr_nh92q6XLxn1qlcu7io3_1280.png

they both upgraded big time and he's left to watch Prince Wu pee.

It's also good that they both more or less realized individually that they wouldn't work with Mako (Korra and he are too similar and bring out the worst in one another, and with Asami, well, Mako is a big floosy).
This is so Mako after he gets this picture:
the-only-reason-why-i-have-hand-lotion-next-to-my-computer-is-so-i-dont-get-a-chapped-mouse-im-serious-b4cb4.png

So Call of Duty - ancient warfare
:p

Hey! M&B aint got no no-scopes... though I do recall someone did a jump forward 360 degree swing with a pseduo-halberd at me... and it fucking worked. I was so fucking salty that day, still don't know why I didn't block in the right direction and kick-stun the lad and mace his face. Gah.

SystemBug

Don't apologize. Genuinely a pet peeve of mine. When people say "sorry" when they disagree. It feels condescending. Don't do that.

I think Bayonetta looks fantastic (save for that PS3 version...whoosh) and I love the look. Also, let's not act like "art direction" and "image quality" are the same thing. Art direction is way too general of a term. MGR hardly looks like a PS2 game. That's some good hyperbole, though.
I know what art direction is lol.

fine, it looked like a really early gen game.

That sounds like a pretty interesting conversation.

it was, though we pretty much agreed on the genre not really represent people of color too well... I just came at her the wrong way =/ and I apologized before correcting myself.

Iahfy just commented on the Kuvira pic saying someone had commissioned her to do something similar, lawd Toa about to avoid tumblr like the plague and

7zfrawigklqk2pwze4ws9jovo.300x169x27.gif

Veelk

Banned
TW101 is exactly what you think. It has a certain wall. It has to click, and some people just don't know how to play. It's a very different kind of game. My thing has always been "if you aren't enjoying yourself, don't play." I really get tired of going in to the gaming section and seeing "When does ______ get fun?" or "When does ______ stop being ______?" That being said, TW101 really does have a rough curve. If you really want to put in the time and are willing, I encourage you to continue, because it 100% pays off. If you aren't, then don't, because you are in for a long ride.

I don't have that kind of time right now. Maybe over the summer. But I like supporting Platinum financially anyway. They definitely need it.

Personally, I make it a point to not review something unless I've finished it. If you don't 'get it', 99% of the time, I consider that a fault with the audience for not trying hard enough. Once I've 'gotten' it, then I can decide whether it's good or not. Anything else comes off as arguing from ignorance.

And while their environments usually need work, I always think their main characters and enemies look pretty good. And even then, they have some cool level design here and there, mainly Bayonetta's Paradiso and Inferno.

Lethe82

Banned
There games look oddly muddy beyond the fact that they tend to have bad image quality.

MGSR looked very grey compared to MGS games.

it was, though we pretty much agreed on the genre not really represent people of color too well... I just came at her the wrong way =/ and I apologized before correcting myself.

Iahfy just commented on the Kuvira pic saying someone had commissioned her to do something similar, lawd Toa about to avoid tumblr like the plague and

7zfrawigklqk2pwze4ws9jovo.300x169x27.gif
People of color aren't really represented well in any medium. People complaining about their representation in Hollywood should be happy it's not as bad as video game representation.

Trey

I think the beifongs and the airbender resurgence were handled about as well as you could hope. I would file Zaheer and gang in that "good enough considering the context" column, but they really could have used a dedicated episode.

I don't have that kind of time right now. Maybe over the summer. But I like supporting Platinum financially anyway. They definitely need it.

Personally, I make it a point to not review something unless I've finished it. If you don't 'get it', 99% of the time, I consider that a fault with the audience for not trying hard enough. Once I've 'gotten' it, then I can decide whether it's good or not. Anything else comes off as arguing from ignorance.

Well obviously no one should review and argue anything until they've completed the product and understand the thing they've just completed. That being said, I don't think it's a big deal if someone says "I tried and I'm not feeling it."

And you could always play the game on an easier difficulty. The experience alone was worth it, combat be damned (even though that combat is great).

i9P7MCxSMXhfj.gif

I think the beifongs and the airbender resurgence were handled about as well as you could hope. I would file Zaheer and gang in that "good enough considering the context" column, but they really could have used a dedicated episode.

wat. The beifong conflict was the worst thing about season 3

And Zaheer and the group had loads of more potential to be fleshed out

I mean season 3 was great, but even that could have been a lot better if there were more episodes to flesh out the relationships of some of the characters, but I guess that's kind of a problem with the whole show and not particularly season 3

Kinvara

I need it too, gawt damn!

Hilarious I just finished going back and fourth with Sleepysenshi on twitter about Eurocentrism in the high fantasy genre.... but I mainly post art and ships here.

The genre certainly is eurocentric.

High fantasy is plagued with Tolkien knock-offs. The Euro setting is so uninteresting at this point but so prevalent that most people think that in order to be considered high fantasy a story must be European/Medieval inspired.

I honestly think that A:TLA/TLOK is one of the best high fantasy worlds out there. It should be far more popular than it is but Nickelodeon failed to market it at all.

High fantasy is plagued with Tolkien knock-offs. The Euro setting is so uninteresting at this point but so prevalent that most people think that in order to be considered high fantasy a story must be European/Medieval inspired.

I honestly think that A:TLA/TLOK is one of the best high fantasy worlds out there. It should be far more popular than it is but Nickelodeon failed to market it at all.
There's the lack of marketing and the prevalence of Asian people, I'm not trying to sound racist, but some people just want to look at known white people.
wat. The beifong conflict was the worst thing about season 3

And Zaheer and the group had loads of more potential to be fleshed out

I mean season 3 was great, but even that could have been a lot better if there were more episodes to flesh out the relationships of some of the characters, but I guess that's kind of a problem with the whole show and not particularly season 3
Lin should've won that damn fight. She should've done a Cold Stone Stunner to Suyin.
stone-cold-stunner-at-the-rock-o.gif

Veelk

Banned
Well obviously no one should review and argue anything until they've completed the product and understand the thing they've just completed. That being said, I don't think it's a big deal if someone says "I tried and I'm not feeling it."

Yeah, obviously no one should be 'forced' to play or watch or read something they don't want to. But I've seen too many "Why doesn't this have X" only to have that appear later on. I feel you need to have a whole picture, so you can fully understand the effect anything early on has. To some extent, this doesn't apply, of course. I don't feel that you should have to do every sidequest or read every book in a 14 book franchise before you can make a judgement. But it's more like I feel the only thing you can ever truly make judgement calls on is what you have gone through. If you finish a book halfway, you don't get to say the whole book makes no sense.

And you could always play the game on an easier difficulty. The experience alone was worth it, combat be damned (even though that combat is great).

The joy of platinum games is mastering the combat. Without that...well, It's not that I wouldn't get anything out of it, but I'd rather get the full experience when I have the time to do so.

Bam, you just hit what we were saying on the head! I was telling her that trying to take HF out of the "medieval Europe setting" would cause people not to classify it as high fantasy. But that's where we got confused... I was just talking about the setting, she was just pretty much saying why does everything gotta be so damn white... lol

Yeah, obviously no one should be 'forced' to play or watch or read something they don't want to. But I've seen too many "Why doesn't this have X" only to have that appear later on. I feel you need to have a whole picture, so you can fully understand the effect anything early on has. To some extent, this doesn't apply, of course. I don't feel that you should have to do every sidequest or read every book in a 14 book franchise before you can make a judgement. But it's more like I feel the only thing you can ever truly make judgement calls on is what you have gone through. If you finish a book halfway, you don't get to say the whole book makes no sense.

The joy of platinum games is mastering the combat. Without that...well, It's not that I wouldn't get anything out of it, but I'd rather get the full experience when I have the time to do so.

I agree with every single thing you just said.

As for TW101, that game, like all Kamiya directed games, is one difficulty harder than you think. It might be easier for the combat to click with you if you do it on Easy instead of Normal. Very Easy is effectively Automatic.

No one, unless there's a reason they can't play normally, should every play on Automatic. Back in the day (I'm still very young, so I should not be allowed to say that phrase, but I will) I played DMC4 for the first time. Now, that game is one of my favorite games, let alone character action games, of all time. It brought me into the genre and was like nothing I'd played before. Well, I'd played that game on Automatic (you can select it at any difficulty in that game) and when I got to the harder difficulties, I'd had a much more difficult time. Now, this sounds natural, but years later (it was bro-in-law's game and he sold it. He regrets it) I picked the game up again and played it without touching Automatic. Significantly easier time. Not by much, but at least I had control over all my moves. Automatic means less control. Less control = bad for this genre.

Thank you for saying this. I feel that we're a bit alone though. In the things you want to see in a RPG thread, only me and one other person said they actually want to see different settings. I feel like a lot of times geeks want more of the same, even though they say different sometimes.

Thank you for saying this. I feel that we're a bit alone though. In the things you want to see in a RPG thread, only me and one other person said they actually want to see different settings. I feel like a lot of times geeks want more of the same, even though they say different sometimes.
I would not mind a samurai setting or an RPG that took place during the Ruroni Kenshin time. I know people would say it's been done to death but fuck it it's different enough.

Jacob

Bam, you just hit what we were saying on the head! I was telling her that trying to take HF out of the "medieval Europe setting" would cause people not to classify it as high fantasy. But that's where we got confused... I was just talking about the setting, she was just pretty much saying why does everything gotta be so damn white... lol

Debates within fantasy fandom about where to draw the boundaries around high/epic fantasy vs other sub-genres often degenerate into comparisons of the setting, so I think you have a point here. ATLA absolutely fits any reasonable definition of high fantasy (most of which boil down to "is it like LOTR in terms of X", which is the case for ATLA in most ways except the setting and it skewing more towads a The Hobbit-aged audience). It's not even the only non-European-based fantasy world out there, though it is one of the very few to appear onscreen. I think a bigger reason for its marginalization is the fact that it's animated, though.

I'm a sucker for the Gothic(?) fantasy stuff. Angels, demons, vampires, etc. I like that. I would love to see an animated action series with that kind of setting. Like, a good one. There's too much bullshit that tries to do this, but very rarely is any of it good. The most recent one I watched was I, Frankenstein.

Have you guys seen that movie?

Fuck that movie.

I'd also like to see a good fantasy either game or animated series based in a Middle Eastern/African setting. There's some cool shit there. Fucking Hellboy goes to Africa, and it's sick.

Really? I didn't look much through that topic, but people are really against the idea of more diversity in RPG settings? The bloody hell? That bland medieval stuff is way overdone.

Really doesn't help that I generally despise that type of setting anyway

I would not mind a samurai setting or an RPG that took place during the Ruroni Kenshin time. I know people would say it's been done to death but fuck it it's different enough.

I don't consider that a setting that's overdone at all, but maybe you're taking into account Japanese games.

It's even worse in movies. All you get are the Gothic stuff, Greek stuff, or Lord of the Rings type settings.

I would argue that the Gothic and Mediterranean (i.e. Greek) never really got anything particularly good. Every Gothic movie tries to be either Blade and Hellboy (which went high fantasy for the second film anyway). Every Mediterranean movie tries to be Gladiator or 300.

I don't consider that a setting that's overdone at all, but maybe you're taking into account Japanese games.
Trust me it's not overdone. Only if you count the Dynasty Warriors stuff, which I'm not even asking for. Only JRPG series that I can think of would be Breath of Fire and that has a distinct Asian influence. FFX seems to as well, because one of my friends saw him as Filipino I believe.

Trust me it's not overdone. Only if you count the Dynasty Warriors stuff, which I'm not even asking for. Only JRPG series that I can think of would be Breath of Fire and that has a distinct Asian influence. FFX seems to as well, because one of my friends saw him as Filipino I believe.

The only Asian thing I can see in X is Yuna's outfit. I can't actually place a setting on X. It's probably the only game out the series without a classified setting. The first couple of towns in the game are Caribbean influenced, Zanarkand is futuristic, Home is a desert, Bevelle almost seems like a modern city. Calm Lands and Mihen Highroad I can't put in a category.

I only played Xillia 1 and I see where yall are coming from with that. It was a fun game, but anime as all hell.
And that might even be the least anime one. Graces F is sure as fuck anime as all hell, but it has the best battle system.
The only Asian thing I can see in X is Yuna's outfit. I can't actually place a setting on X. It's probably the only game out the series without a classified setting. The first couple of towns in the game are Caribbean influenced, Zanarkand is futuristic, Home is a desert, Bevelle almost seems like a modern city. Calm Lands and Mihen Highroad I can't put in a category.
That game honestly seems like a cultural mishmash.

Assassin's Creed would have the easiest time telling a non-euro-american centric story, but...well, it's ubisoft.

That's why I really liked AC1. How many games are there set in Jerusalem and Damascus?

Setting was great. Altair had an american accent though :| Though they retconned this with animus bullshit.

They NEED to do China. Or India. Or Egypt. Just get us out of Europe and the US, PLEASE

I liked Istanbul as a setting but that game wasn't...amazing.

SystemBug

That's why I really liked AC1. How many games are there set in Jerusalem and Damascus?

Setting was great. Altair had an american accent though :| Though they retconned this with animus bullshit.

They NEED to do China. Or India. Or Egypt. Just get us out of Europe and the US, PLEASE

I would personally like to see India. Gotta see more brown people in games.

Hamlet

tumblr_njazbafvoO1qk8yg2o1_400.gif

http://d0thething.tumblr.com/

Zhurrick is a wholesome ship
Cute

Ancient Egypt would be neat and they also need to start making Prince of Persia games again. Been far too long since we had one.

Veelk

Banned
The 2008 version was no where close to being as good with it's QTE platforming, but I still would have liked to see a sequel to that than nothing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom