• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

That LTTP AtLA thread clowns this community thread but many of the most poignant and interesting takes that I've read about this show were made in here. Hard to figure given the general trajectory of this thread nowadays, but what are you gonna do, yeah?

I should really go trawling through the old posts to quote the best ones and bring em up for discussion and recollection.

That LTTP AtLA thread clowns this community thread but many of the most poignant and interesting takes that I've read about this show were made in here. Hard to figure given the general trajectory of this thread nowadays, but what are you gonna do, yeah?

I should really go trawling through the old posts to quote the best ones and bring em up for discussion and recollection.

Oh... why the clowning? I mean the shipping does go overboard, time to time, but still.

Trey

Oh... why the clowning? I mean the shipping does go overboard, time to time, but still.

Shipping, fanart and gifs, which I honestly don't mind. I see cool art every now and again, people get to talk amongst themselves, and if an interesting topic comes up I'll participate. Rubs others the wrong way though, I suppose.

Kinvara

I try not to Veelk actual people. I Veelked a person IRL once and basically it was like dissection of a still living person. It didn't end well.

2KpiRCc.gif

Trey

Yeah, we should probably get a move on with the community thread. It's been long enough. I guess Omi can't get it done; we'll get something up by Saturday.

Should probably start the series rewatch the following day.

We just need a new, proper OT to start off fresh.

It will probably be ruined within the first page but... I still want it.

It won't be ruined by anything I do, I'll still do my usual stuff but this time around I'll just link to the artists tumblr/DA page rather than embedding the image in my post. If they don't like that solution, I can care less I ain't changing.

Lethe82

Banned
Almost all Kyoshi fan art is hilarious(like the one where Kyoshi is telling Korra to drink the blood of her enemies and smiles happily, or where she's using Tarlok to beat Amon to death). I wish I had saved those.

Aang: But you didn't really kill Jin! Technically he just fell to his death because he was too stubborn to get out of the way! :D

Kyoshi: Personally I don't see the difference. B|

Aang: :(

Jacob

I assume you're referring to my post. I've had many great conversations in the Korra OTs over the years, including some quite recently, and I used to check it nearly every time I visited GAF. But for people who don't have a favorite tumblr fan artist, it's harder to just jump in and start talking about the show now. I recognize that there are a limited number of potential discussion topics since the show is over, though. Not trying to shit on anyone's good time, just wanted to respond to this comment.

Lethe82

Banned
I actually have like 4-5 commentary topics that I'm more or less saving, and I have frequently made a mental note to respond to part of a post later even after responding to other parts of a post. It sucks that the series is over, so we will inevitably talk in circles eventually and kind of run out of things to say, but hey at least there is the hope of Korra comics and the OSts being released in the future.

I second the notion for a Kyoshi themed OP.

tumblr_m3s71ci4gf1qebnng.png

jr4ZtOv.png

070b499f53e8c7a3c98c01d1d4020292.jpg

The LTTP ATLA thread is infested with people who can't take something on its own merit and have to be absolutists. There's no point in talking in that thread when half the people commenting on Korra are just calling it 'soulless' and 'shit' in a single sentence post and the intellectual level of discourse most of them are willing to engage in on the topic is 'it's terrible'.

It kind of annoys me when people (mainly people who don't contribute in it) trash on this thread for not actually having discussion. Same thing with the Naruto thread. We've discussed the heck out of pretty much anything that's worth discussing over and over again. We can only have the same debates so many times. I get it, i'm not a huge fan of all of the lewd stuff that gets posted here either, but we're generally in here enjoying ourselves, I mean geez. If people want discussion, they should come in here and start it themselves. They expect us to be in an infinite loop discussing the same topics with the same people over and over again? At least fan art is new and is always updating.

Veelk

Banned
Is that really what the comics have her say? Jesus, I'm glad I don't read those.

It kind of annoys me when people (mainly people who don't contribute in it) trash on this thread for not actually having discussion. Same thing with the Naruto thread. We've discussed the heck out of pretty much anything that's worth discussing over and over again. We can only have the same debates so many times. I get it, i'm not a huge fan of all of the lewd stuff that gets posted here either, but we're generally in here enjoying ourselves, I mean geez. If people want discussion, they should come in here and start it themselves. They expect us to be in an infinite loop discussing the same topics with the same people over and over again? At least fan art is new and is always updating.

I don't disagree necessarily, but I don't necessarily know if this is better. I wouldn't mind this just being a community spot to discuss anything, like our own little Off-Topic, I guess, and I don't want the fan art to stop. It's just that when lewd stuff is ALL that's being posted, it gets a bit weird.

Lethe82

Banned
Is that really what the comics have her say? Jesus, I'm glad I don't read those.

Haha no, I haven't read the comics yet but it fooled me for a second as well.

korra_and_kyoshi_by_tracywilliams-d4xzwlw.jpg

The issue is that this thread moves very quickly, so yeah we've had a lot of debates, but they tend to get buried. But the average person should know that, it seems like some people just look it and see some fanart on a page or two and then scurry back to where ever to be uninformed peasants looking to get in with the cool kids by clowning on another group of people.

I mean come on, we just had a flipping Mako debate on page 208 and every page after has Korra stuff in the mix and being the majority of posts.

Lethe82

Banned
this thread still being as active as it is absolutely amazes me (in a good way)

For all the hate Korra gets from (a minority of) people, I find the world to be absolutely fascinating to talk about much more so over the timeframe in TLA. I think it really helps with the longevity of discussion, it's a much more evolving, complex, and 'wide' world where as the technological limits and fragmented social structures of TLA kind of limits the avenues of discourse. When you're talking about the world of Korra you can compare and contrast not only it's own evolution but how the world as a whole has changed from TLA, with TLA you're stuck with a fairly static timeframe where the world wasn't really in a state of social/political/technological flux (aside from the war obviously). After the war you got this huge technological, social, and political boom, and that's interesting to consider and talk about.

No, it's just a fan comic.

I don't disagree necessarily, but I don't necessarily know if this is better. I wouldn't mind this just being a community spot to discuss anything, like our own little Off-Topic, I guess, and I don't want the fan art to stop. It's just that when lewd stuff is ALL that's being posted, it gets a bit weird.

Thing is I barely post lewd stuff... oh I will talk about it, trust me. If I do, I'll either PM Jaded like I've been doing, or I'll just link it if's safe but "suggestive" (like the Kuvira pic I just linked), smh @ people trying to cast others out of a fandom just because they're shippers or like fanart, get all the way the fuck outta here with that bullshit.... UGH.

Like I said, I will just start linking shipping pics in next OT rather than embedding them, but I won't change.
Sorry Toa

Jacob

For all the hate Korra gets from (a minority of) people, I find the world to be absolutely fascinating to talk about much more so over the timeframe in TLA. I think it really helps with the longevity of discussion, it's a much more evolving, complex, and 'wide' world where as the technological limits and fragmented social structures of TLA kind of limits the avenues of discourse. When you're talking about the world of Korra you can compare and contrast not only it's own evolution but how the world as a whole has changed from TLA, with TLA you're stuck with a fairly static timeframe where the world wasn't really in a state of social/political/technological flux (aside from the war obviously). After the war you got this huge technological, social, and political boom, and that's interesting to consider and talk about.

I don't think you can really brush away all the chaos and change in ATLA as "aside from the war". There was a ton of shit going on in the world because of the war, which had social, political, and technological implications. Recall that the steampunk elements largely started with the Fire Nation where the military was driving R&D for new weapons such as the Drill and airships.

I'll acknowledge that as someone who grew up reading a ton of fantasy and not much steampunk, ATLA's setting appeals more to me through nostalgia alone. But I think ATLA is given a short shrift sometimes when it comes to how it handles political themes. No, it doesn't dwell on them too much, but the show has a decent amount of depth to it. The influence of Fire Nation culture and politics can be seen in all of the major FN characters, and Ba Sing Se is given so much time to be explored that the political stuff seeps through. Refugee crises, stratification of social classes, and obviously the Dai Li conspiracy angle ... granted the first two are kept mostly in the background but the writers clearly did their homework and and the actions of various characters and factions in Ba Sing Se make sense as responses to the political pressures placed on them.

I do really like that Korra gives more prominence to some of these themes, and that is something that makes the latter show interesting to me, but my feelings about their execution are more mixed.

Trey

I assume you're referring to my post. I've had many great conversations in the Korra OTs over the years, including some quite recently, and I used to check it nearly every time I visited GAF. But for people who don't have a favorite tumblr fan artist, it's harder to just jump in and start talking about the show now. I recognize that there are a limited number of potential discussion topics since the show is over, though. Not trying to shit on anyone's good time, just wanted to respond to this comment.

While I could throw yours into the group, you're OG, and you still participate from time to time. Yeah, this thread is kind of peculiar, but it's never malicious and it (usually) doesn't cross the line. "Actual" discussion doesn't occur infrequently. Honestly, it's pretty decent all things considered, especially since the series finale aired 2 entire months ago.

Still though, more organization is in order, and hopefully we can get a new thread up soon. I agree that the community could use a refresh, and there is plenty still to talk about.

Veelk

Banned
No, it's just a fan comic.

Thing is I barely post lewd stuff... oh I will talk about it, trust me. If I do, I'll either PM Jaded like I've been doing, or I'll just link it if's safe but "suggestive" (like the Kuvira pic I just linked), smh @ people trying to cast others out of a fandom just because they're shippers or like fanart, get all the way the fuck outta here with that bullshit.... UGH.

Like I said, I will just start linking shipping pics in next OT rather than embedding them, but I won't change.
Sorry Toa

I'm not saying YOU do it. I''m just saying it's being done. I still like the thread, obviously, but as I said earlier in this page, I have no idea what it even is anymore. It's certainly not a LoK thread in the way it's supposed to be. But you're right, I'm not sure what the next step is supposed to be, because we have discussed everything we could....

The only possible continuation I can think would be to recommend each other LoK fanfiction. It's the only way I can see us getting mroe content. I mean, we technically already do in the form of fan art and fan comics, but none of those have a serialized story arc, so....

Jacob

While I could throw yours into the group, you're OG, and you still participate from time to time. Yeah, this thread is kind of peculiar, but it's never malicious and it (usually) doesn't cross the line. "Actual" discussion doesn't occur infrequently. Honestly, it's pretty decent all things considered, especially since the series finale aired 2 entire months ago.

Still though, more organization is in order, and hopefully we can get a new thread up soon. I agree that the community could use a refresh, and there is plenty still to talk about.

It was hard enough for me to try to keep on top of this thread while the show was airing and on my mind most every week, so a big part of the reason why I don't post here is simply a feeling of exhaustion (work doesn't help on that front). I think that giant 10,000 post OTs are great for the chatroom-like function they serve (and in that respect the fan art is not at all out of place), but I'm not sure if they're the best place for in-depth discussion. They move so fast and there are so many sub-threads going on at any given time that stuff (especially posts without pictures in them) get lost pretty easily. This wouldn't have been a problem for me several years ago but these days I don't have the same amount of time and energy to dedicate to forums and a more leisurely pace can be nice when you're trying to think deep about each post in a discussion thread. Nothing against people who are able to keep up without breaking a sweat; more power to you guys.

I am really glad that there is an ongoing Korra community thread though (which obviously would not happen if it was limited to only serious discussion), since there have been times in the recent past when there were no active Avatar/Korra threads at all. After buying the FCBD special comic last year I ran off the OT to post my impressions and it had completely died since Book 2 wrapped. I was afraid that we'd be in that position again with the series being over and I am genuinely really happy that it didn't come to past. But I think the big community thread can be complemented by and coexist with smaller discussion threads that crop up in the main OT forum.

Y'all muthafuckas need Jesus.

Seriously, make a new AvatarGAF thread just for a re-watch and just rename this "The Treehouse." Have our own little OT. Separate from the world.

Bonding.

Together.

As one.
Ah, the good old days.

"That wasn't romantic, me and my friends hold hands and stare into each others eyes lovingly all the time"
Me and my friends fuck in various spirit planes all the time. Just chillin. Just bros, letting each other in.

See? Romance not confirmed.
In that case, Dresden Files, Person of Interest and um....the King Killer Chronicles, but I haven't made a thread about that one yet, except for a spin off book you shouldn't read without reading the main series.
Dresden Files got a show, right? On the BBC? Is it worth watching (if I say, don't feel like book reedin) in comparison to the books?
Also, PoI is on my list. It has Amy Acker. She's my girl.

Also, Iroh could have beat Ozai easily. BELIEVE.

Veelk

Banned
Dresden Files got a show, right? On the BBC? Is it worth watching (if I say, don't feel like book reedin) in comparison to the books?
Also, PoI is on my list. It has Amy Acker. She's my girl.

No. It's basically an adaptation in name only, keeping only the barest of similarities. I mean, the most basic premise the same (supernatural detective), but pretty much everything else is changed. I haven't seen the show, so it MIGHT be good in it's own way, but it's not the books. And even if it was, it only lasted 1 season anyway.

If it makes you feel better, the simplistic prose with the first person narration makes these things basically effortless to read.

No. It's basically an adaptation in name only, keeping only the barest of similarities. I mean, the most basic premise the same (supernatural detective), but pretty much everything else is changed. I haven't seen the show, so it MIGHT be good in it's own way, but it's not the books. And even if it was, it only lasted 1 season anyway.

If it makes you feel better, the simplistic prose with the first person narration makes these things basically effortless to read.

Oh I'm not opposed to reading at all. If something seems interesting enough, I'll read/watch/play it. I was just curious about the show in relation to the books.

But now that I know that, I won't ever read the series. In fact, I'll go to the library and burn all of the books.

For spite.

Veelk

Banned
Oh I'm not opposed to reading at all. If something seems interesting enough, I'll read/watch/play it. I was just curious about the show in relation to the books.

But now that I know that, I won't ever read the series. In fact, I'll go to the library and burn all of the books.

For spite.

Honestly, with the way the books are structured, I have no idea how you could adapt it.

If you make them into movies, you'll have to condense a lot of the stuff in the later novels. If you make it into a TV show, the budget would be extraordinary (Dresden blows up an average of 3 buildings per book). In either case, the series would require a 15+ year commitment from the main actors, and all the books still haven't been released. An animated series might work, with 15-20 episodes per season, but they'd have to allow blood, violence and sex. So it'd have to be an anime studio, I guess. Otherwise, I don't see any adaptation working here.

Honestly, with the way the show is structured, I have no idea how you could adapt it.

If you make them into movies, you'll have to condense a lot of the stuff in the later novels. If you make it into a TV show, the budget would be extraordinary (Dresden blows up an average of 3 buildings per book). In either case, the series would require a 15+ year commitment from the main actors, and all the books still haven't been released.

Ideally, an animated series might work, with 15-20 episodes per season, but they'd have to allow blood, violence and sex. So it'd have to be an anime studio, I guess. Otherwise, I don't see any adaptation working here.
I gotcha. I mean, with your points though, doesn't Game of Thrones kind of fall in that boat, too? It's hugely expensive, and garners actor commitments despite the fact that the books aren't done. And it's working so far, granted I haven't watched or read any of it Though Dresden does sound like a much bigger series all together.
sooooooooooooooo what ever happened to the avatar OT? rewatch and all that?
image.php
Seems about right.

Veelk

Banned
I gotcha. I mean, with your points though, doesn't Game of Thrones kind of fall in that boat, too? It's hugely expensive, and garners actor commitments despite the fact that the books aren't done. And it's working so far, granted I haven't watched or read any of it Though Dresden does sound like a much bigger series all together.

Seems about right.

From what I saw, Season 1 was very faithful to the books, with each season progressively deviating from them more and more. But even then, it is currently a 7 book series with 5 books out. 5 years is a doable commitment, even if it is pretty huge. The Dresden Files, not counting the numerous side stories, is currently 15, and is expected to end up on with 22-24 total. I guess it's possible to make a TV series out of it, but the work and commitment involved, not to mention production costs, would be astronimical. Possibly more than any other TV show I know of.

It is a huge, huge series. Really, it's unlike anything else I've ever seen before, which is part of the reason why I like it. It's a modern epic.

From what I saw, Season 1 was very faithful to the books, with each season progressively deviating from them more and more. But even then, it is currently a 7 book series with 5 books out. 5 years is a doable commitment, even if it is pretty huge. The Dresden Files, not counting the numerous side stories, is currently 15, and is expected to end up on with 22-24 total. I guess it's possible to make a TV series out of it, but the work and commitment involved, not to mention production costs, would be astronimical. Possibly more than any other TV show I know of.

It is a huge, huge series. Really, it's unlike anything else I've ever seen before, which is part of the reason why I like it. It's a modern epic.
It sounds cool, and it definitely has a following. I've seen it pop up quite a bit here and there. I'll definitely keep it in mind to check out. I mean, especially if it gets the "Veelk Seel of Approval"

I was talking with some people in the current LTTP thread and I'm planning on making a thread on Saturday for the 10th anniversary and hopefully that can double as a rewatch thread.
Treehouse! Treehouse! Treehouse!

Veelk

Banned
It sounds cool, and it definitely has a following. I've seen it pop up quite a bit here and there. I'll definitely keep it in mind to check out. I mean, especially if it gets the "Veelk Seel of Approval"

Just keep in mind that, in the thread I linked, I posted a disclaimer that the first book or two might not impress you. It is a series that starts off mediocre and, inch by inch, climbs it's way to greatness. They're not necessarily bad, but they're not going to blow you away. I'm rereading the series, and the first book is really not indicative of the kind of quality the series will take later on. But each book is a marked improvement on the last. Think of the beginning as the part of the price of admission for getting into a series that is going to bring you some of the most ridiculously awesome moments ever.

I'm sure the Korra OT freedom fighters will persevere.
I get to be Jet! Look at how cool he is!
Jet2.png

He's so cool. And suave. And handsome. And cool.
Just keep in mind that, in the thread I linked, I posted a disclaimer that the first book or two might not impress you. It is a series that starts off mediocre and, inch by inch, climbs it's way to greatness. They're not necessarily bad, but they're not going to blow you away. I'm rereading the series, and the first book is really not indicative of the kind of quality the series will take later on. But each book is a marked improvement on the last. Think of the beginning as the part of the price of admission for getting into a series that is going to bring you some of the most ridiculously awesome moments ever.
What you described just now is probably a good chunk of things I like, so I'm alright.

I don't understand toa tak's objection to Kuvira being shipped with absolutely anyone. It's not like it necessarily lessens her as a character or a badass, and more than any of the other shipping does to other characters. Done well, it can enhance it, especially since the show would have done well to give her a moment of intimacy with Bataar Jr., so that when the shoot the dog moment came, it was actually effective instead of "Oh, turns out Kuvira was pure evil all along, who knew?"

Maybe hes still playing the joke character/Kuvira stan stuff?

*shrug*

Also the thread complaining stuff will always happen somehow.

Veelk

Banned
What you described just now is probably a good chunk of things I like, so I'm alright.

Stick with it and you will not regret it or your money back. Oh, and be careful about the fanbase. They're kind of liberal with spoilers.

Maybe hes still playing the joke character/Kuvira stan stuff?

*shrug*
Well, he's been doing this for like a year now without once breaking character, so...that's dedication.

Well, he's been doing this for like a year now without once breaking character, so...that's dedication.

TBF the time is what makes me wonder otherwise as well so i guess?.

If that's actually real then i will continue to ignore it/not take anything said seriously because its fucking insane for a shitty character (hamstrung massively by wasted fucking potential) but hey

Stick with it and you will not regret it or your money back. Oh, and be careful about the fanbase. They're kind of liberal with spoilers.

Spoilers don't bother me. In my opinion it's how the story is told, not the story itself. You can tell me that x happens, but until I get to x and see how it's done, I don't care.

Veelk

Banned
Spoilers don't bother me. In my opinion it's how the story is told, not the story itself. You can tell me that x happens, but until I get to x and see how it's done, I don't care.

Well, I don't disagree, but there is still a bit of magic in finding things out for yourself. But if you want a tiny preview of the epicness to come... at one point
Dresden uses necromancy to reanimate a T-rex and rides it into battle
. Name something more epically awesome than that. Wait, don't bother, because you can't.

Well, I don't disagree, but there is still a bit of magic in finding things out for yourself. But if you want a tiny preview of the epicness to come... at one point
Dresden uses necromancy to reanimate a T-rex and rides it into battle
. Name something more epically awesome than that. Wait, don't bother, because you can't.
OH MY GOODNESS
doHTyii.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom