• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I think you guys should know by now not to use hugs as an indicator if a girl likes you considering they're pretty much like handshakes.

Edit: Well in college and high school at least. Can't speak for adulthood

...I think you guys should know by now not to use hugs as an indicator if a girl likes you considering they're pretty much like handshakes.

Make a woman breakfast and dinner for a weekend and you would think you mean something to her, then you find out you don't, it's not fun.

Daemul

That's the point, hugs have become overused to the point where they mean nothing, we need to actually put effort into finding new indicators now, which has made some people salty lol

Daemul

Shit got a little too real yesterday on tumblr, Nikkipet had to act as a peacekeeper. And Korvira now has its own song

yzy4yqoh.gif

I'm not getting in this Tumblr nonsense.

Kinvara

It's not exactly rare for a woman to play around with a guys head. I really don't think a hug even means much in this day and age.

But Kuvira doesn't go around hugging lots of people?

When it comes to character interactions such as intimacy, it's important to not only to take into account the culture that the character inhabits but also their personality.

But Kuvira doesn't go around hugging lots of people?

When it comes to character interactions such as intimacy, it's important to not only to take into account the culture that the character inhabits but also their personality.
Yeah you got a good point there. She's not really one for public intimacy. She even made sure to do it in private. I definitely realize that the image she portrays and the real Kuvira are two very different people. I just poke fun at it since they never really put that much time into their actual relationship. Then again I'd probably pick up more on a rewatch
That's the point, hugs have become overused to the point where they mean nothing, we need to actually put effort into finding new indicators now, which has made some people salty lol
I'm salty as fuck son. Nothing means anything to people anymore.

Lethe82

Banned
The Korvira ship is the finest in the fleet, but never underestimate the power of the Korrasami Borg collective.

KorrAsami > Kovira, I'm not sure how there is even a debate aside from a collective of people who want to be edgy by going against the grain.

I'm going to assume that is you indicating 'playing the worlds smallest fiddle' for her, but she clearly cared about him, she was just prepared to sacrifice everything she was and her very soul to reclaim the Earth Kingdom, whatever the price.

The Korvira ship is the finest in the fleet, but never underestimate the power of the Korrasami Borg collective.
We're like Picard and the Enterprise against the Borg.
KorrAsami > Kovira, I'm not sure how there is even a debate aside from a collective of people who want to be edgy by going against the grain.
I'm all about going against the grain. It's was either go insane getting beaten to death by Korrasami or hop on that Korvira train.

Daemul

I'm going to assume that is you indicating 'playing the worlds smallest fiddle' for her, but she clearly cared about him, she was just prepared to sacrifice everything she was and her very soul to reclaim the Earth Kingdom, whatever the price.

Nah, Bryke made her too crazy, too manipulative, she seemed to be using Baatar for her own ends rather than actually being in love with him. Dude was a pawn in a game Su and Kuvira were playing against each other.

Nah, Bryke made her too crazy, too manipulative, she seemed to be using Baatar for her own ends rather than actually being in love with him. Dude was a pawn in a game Su and Kuvira were playing against each other.
A part of me just thinks she wanted to be a part of their family after getting cast out of her own as a kid and Bataar was her in. Her hugging him and smiling just shows that her plans were almost complete and that was her final plan. Her marrying into the Beifong family would've added to her status and further legitimized her.

Trey

Given the fundamental theme of the Avatar franchise being reincarnation and the cycle of life, how underwhelmingly Korra delivered on that theme hurts the most.

I mean, when both Tenzin's and Korra's major character motivation is assuming Aang's mantle, why did those two not interact under that paradigm? It's so weird. I think one line of lip service is paid to their parallel journey.

Daemul

A part of me just thinks she wanted to be a part of their family after getting cast out of her own as a kid and Bataar was her in. Her hugging him and smiling just shows that her plans were almost complete and that was her final plan. Her marrying into the Beifong family would've added to her status and further legitimized her.

Poor Kuvira, so desperate to feel loved and part of a caring family, that she was even willing to join the crazy Beifongs, surely she can do better than that.

Trey

when both Tenzin's and Korra's major character motivation is assuming Aang's mantle, why did those two not interact under that paradigm? It's so weird. I think one line of lip service is paid to their parallel journey.

when Korra was going through things with her uncle, why didn't she talk it out with Asami who has experience with close family betraying her. ohwait, Korra was too busy getting amnesia and Asami was incomprehensibly lusting after Mako's dick.

when Korra needed an answer to Kuvira's spirit bazooka, why did she not speak with Asami directly? Both characters could have learned something from the other and came to a solution together.

Why didn't Asami ever talk to Bolin and Mako about losing a parent and learning to fend for oneself before you're even ready?

incredulous.gif

Even within the patchy framework that is the LoK casts' characterization, they don't interact with each other in obvious and simple topics.

Poor Kuvira, so desperate to feel loved and part of a caring family, that she was even willing to join the crazy Beifongs, surely she can do better than that.
The Beifongs were a known family with money and status. Crazy and demented as fuck, but it's probably a family she knew enough about. In all honesty the only people in the Beifong family with personality problems are the women. Even being crazy to the extent that she was she seems like a more balanced version with elements of Su and Lin in there.

Jacob

Regarding the 10th anniversary rewatch, I got off work early today due to the snow in Maryland so I was gonna try and finish up the OP for that post and get it live on the actual anniversary date. Most people seemed okay with the Wednseday and Saturday schedule idea, so would people be open to beginning the episode discussions on Wednesday, February 25 (four days from now)?

Regarding the 10th anniversary rewatch, I got off work early today due to the snow in Maryland so I was gonna try and finish up the OP for that post and get it live on the actual anniversary date. Most people seemed okay with the Wednseday and Saturday schedule idea, so would people be open to beginning the episode discussions on Wednesday, February 25 (four days from now)?
I have work and tend to hit the gym on Wednesday. I can just watch 4 eps on Saturday though.

Jacob

I have work and tend to hit the gym on Wednesday. I can just watch 4 eps on Saturday though.

I don't think it's worth the hassle to try to have everyone watch the episode at exactly the same time, given schedules and time zones, so hopefully the discussion of each episode will last a couple days and you can post during that time. :)

Daemul

I'm cool with that, looking forward to watching ATLA for the first time since it's finale.

Lethe82

Banned

This is not the expression of someone who gave no shits about Baatar.

Kuvira_has_a_heart.png

Kuvira_has_a_heart_2.png

"Su turned her back on the Earth Kingdom, you were gone, I had to do something!"

Kuvira_has_a_heart_3.png

"Don't pretend you know what it felt like (to be an orphan), the Avatar is adored by millions. I was cast aside by my own parents like I meant nothing to them. How could I just stand by and watch the same thing happen to my nation when it needed someone to guide it?"

Did they not focus on the right aspects throughout the season or overplay an element of her character, absofuckinglutly, but to say that Kuvira didn't care about Baatar is a huge stretch, to say that she didn't love him, an arguement could be made, but there wasn't enough them time to make the call that she was just manipulating him.

This is not the expression of someone who gave no shits about Baatar.

Kuvira_has_a_heart.png

Kuvira_has_a_heart_2.png

"Su turned her back on the Earth Kingdom, you were gone, I had to do something!"

Kuvira_has_a_heart_3.png

"Don't pretend you know what it felt like (to be an orphan), the Avatar is adored by millions. I was cast aside by my own parents like I meant nothing to them. How could I just stand by and watch the same thing happen to my nation when it needed someone to guide it?"

Did they not focus on the right aspects throughout the season or overplay an element of her character, absofuckinglutly, but to say that Kuvira didn't care about Baatar is a huge stretch, to say that she didn't love him, an arguement could be made, but there wasn't enough them time to make the call that she was just manipulating him.
I know it's something I joke about, a lot actually, but I would like to think Kuvira cared for the guy, but the way they portrayed the whole thing makes it hard to figure out how much though. You can tell Bataar received a lot of guidance and inner strength through his relationship with Kuvira, because he changed a lot through it. He went from some lanky dweeb looking guy to a more muscular person with enough confidence to stand up to his mother and take what he learned from is father and expand upon it.

Kuvira just remained herself it seemed like. She had a strong sense of self that you're really not growing to trample. You would think she could've taken anybody and the outcome would've just stayed the same, only difference being that the Beifong family wouldn't hate her because she took away a member of their family. I don't think Kuvira brain washed Bataar, she just allowed him to actually be himself without Su's will stifling him. I've stated a few times that he most likely grew mentally throughout his journey with her and it explains his devoted attachment to her. It's sort of like, "I saw the world with this woman and she allowed me to grow into my own person. If I stayed here with you Mom, I'd still be the same naive person that would change nothing."

Bataar is probably the person that she spoke to the most while they lived in Zaofu, only thing is they never showed her speaking to anybody. If they wrote the seasons pretty close to each other then they really should have given these two at least one scene with each other just talking about stuff so their relationship would've been grounded more and less like a "from left field" randomness. The way it was for most of the season sort of just seems like a "fuck you" to Su. For all we know Bataar was the only person that actually paid any kind of attention to her. She had respect as the captain of the Metal Guard and she did get a lot of recognition from her accomplishments, but Su never congratulated her for anything and when she wanted to help her in the final battle she received a "heel" command from Su. Man her back story just has too much damn potential. I honestly think it would make for more interesting viewing than what we got. After the Battle for Zaofu we really should've gotten more about her.

Jaded, let me talk to you real quick

So they just introduced a girl, who's into Ukyo. Who everyone thought was a guy but turns out was actually a girl. Turns out, she knew Ukyo was a girl all along because she's into girls. Then is competing against Ranma (who is able to change genders) for Ukyo, then the girl falls for the female Ranma. Then Ranma reverts back to a guy to try to turn the new girl straight, but then the girl ends up actually being a cross dressing guy.

Man, what in the hell?!?!

So they just introduced a girl, who's into Ukyo. Who everyone thought was a guy but turns out was actually a girl. Turns out, she knew Ukyo was a girl all along because she's into girls. Then is competing against Ranma (who is able to change genders) for Ukyo, then the girl falls for the female Ranma. Then Ranma reverts back to a guy to try to turn the new girl straight, but then the girl ends up actually being a cross dressing guy.

God damn I forgot how weird some of the storylines were in that. That's the craziest shit.

Daemul

yzy4yqoh.gif

This is way above my pay grade

Vylash

ibvv7GLAXxHHhz.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom