• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
I was more of an inuyasha fan, tbh... Until I learned it's true nature. The second to the last arc felt like it was actually going somewhere, then it ended with the status quo restored. I remember a lot of people being pissed because at that point they realized inuyasha was never going to end. I think sales dropped at that point, so the author was all "fine, you want an ending, here...". And then it just ended so abruptly and with little fanfare. It was so bizarre seeing a villain that escaped time and again, always getting stronger die for no reason except that that's where the Manga decided to end.

Hamlet

10th Anniversary stuff

"Happy 10-year Avatar anniversary! Found these photos from a visit to Nick on Sunset, just prior to the show’s premiere. Seems like a lifetime ago… Thanks to everyone who’s supported Avatar and Korra over the years!"
tumblr_nk4wnlAyTb1rz68g3o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nk4wnlAyTb1rz68g3o2_1280.jpg
Michael Dante Dimartino

"10 years ago today..."

tumblr_nk3ls7Y7Se1rvsfh9o1_500.jpg

SystemBug

lol... not, I'm just exaggerating but he was talking like typical anime girl, then he gets his dress ripped off

Tsubasa1.jpg

then he starts talking with a voice deeper than mine.

And this is why people talk shit about this thread, lmao
Instant boner alert for me tho. Shit am I gay? Man I don't even know.

Jacob

10th Anniversary stuff

"Happy 10-year Avatar anniversary! Found these photos from a visit to Nick on Sunset, just prior to the show’s premiere. Seems like a lifetime ago… Thanks to everyone who’s supported Avatar and Korra over the years!"

Michael Dante Dimartino

"10 years ago today..."

Oh man, those are some great pics. I didn't get into the show until late 2006 but I'm so stoked about the anniversary.

Also, the ATLA rewatch thread is up. I hope you guys like it; let me know if you have any comments, criticisms, or ways to improve it. It's my first time making a thread of this sort so please be gentle. :p

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=996884

Rin quit drawing? Sums up my reaction.
Oh My Gooodd!!!!
Glad you're enjoying Ranma at least, I honestly wasn't expecting it. So who's your favorite girl so far?

Rin quit drawing? WTF?! Don't tell me it was because of that stupid shipping war.

Shes says she lost inspiration, so don't expect anything from her for a while :( It's fucked because she told me unless people tell her what to draw, she usually gets blocked and the last two requests she done were ironically.... both mine, and I haven't submitted any since. And she told me she loved doing my requests especially the last one (thanks Jaded).

So I'm thinking nobody requested anything or didn't follow her guidelines for a request.

As for Ranma... the only girl I like is... well, female Ranma *shudders*

I've barely seen Kodachi except twice.
Akane be all in her feelings towards Ranma
Shampoo is a borderline rapist.
Ukyo just got introduced not too long ago.
Tsubasa is a man.

Shes says she lost inspiration, so don't expect anything from her for a while :( It's fucked because she told me unless people tell her what to draw, she usually gets blocked and the last two requests she done were ironically.... both mine, and I haven't submitted any since. And she told me she loved doing my requests especially the last one (thanks Jaded).

So I'm thinking nobody requested anything or didn't follow her guidelines for a request.

As for Ranma... the only girl I like is... well, female Ranma *shudders*

I've barely seen Kodachi except twice.
Akane be all in her feelings towards Ranma
Shampoo is a borderline rapist.
Ukyo just got introduced not too long ago.
Tsubasa is a man.
Kodachi is fucking crazy, I'm not the hugest fan of Akane, Shampoo I find to be annoying. Ukyo is my favorite. You should ask Rin to draw the Korra cast as Ranma characters, just make sure Ukyo is Kuvira.

Can we talk about how the best romance in the series was fodder for the worst?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDcDCQpwaus

Korrasami is great for it's cultural/societal impact, but in terms of what actually seemed like the best match of personalities, nothing beats the comical Bolin's ability to add levity to Korra's overly self-serious attitude.

The fact that Korra never stopped being so mopey and angsty after season 1 is such a massive shame. She was never as likeable as Aang because we rarely ever got to see her have fun. If she had ended up with Bolin, you have to admit that she would've become more amicable simply by being in his presence.

Veelk

Banned

Amon, unavaatu, zaheer, and Kuvira in a compass placement(as in North, South, East West). Korra at the center. Decorate artfully with themes of the season, maybe the characters in each villains direction.

That's should keep her busy.

Korrasami is great for it's cultural/societal impact, but in terms of what actually seemed like the best match of personalities, nothing beats the comical Bolin's ability to add levity to Korra's overly self-serious attitude.

The fact that Korra never stopped being so mopey and angsty after season 1 is such a massive shame. She was never as likeable as Aang because we rarely ever got to see her have fun. If she had ended up with Bolin, you have to admit that she would've become more amicable simply by being in his presence.
Same can be said about most of the cast.

I like this guy.

I was saying a while back there was a part of me that wished she would've went with Bolin. They seemed to have fun together, but unfortunately that only served is fodder to Mako being the POS boyfriend that he is.

Hamlet

Yeah Bosami was cute and shame it got dragged down into the gutter for Makorra. Though I disagree with that statement about Korra. After the Wan arc Korra is in no way like that anymore until after the book 3 finale incident and well it's understandable why she acts that way after what had happened to her. Plus Book 3 has quite a few moments of her having fun.

Indeed, Makkora did fed on a lot of things that needed proper nourishment. Proper character interactions, plot, and etc etc. Though this has been talked about quite a bit under mo' lost potential cycles. As for mope and angst, Season 2 is like a different dimension in terms of character logic and Season 4 is more reasonable. Even though overall when comparing Seasons 2 and 4, one is a rough draft and the later is more like a general outline that had hastily added words to it.

tumblr_inline_mknyjiF9p61r75hji.gif

I like this guy.

I was saying a while back there was a part of me that wished she would've went with Bolin. They seemed to have fun together, but unfortunately that only served is fodder to Mako being the POS boyfriend that he is.
Almost makes Korvira the better ship based solely on the fact that Bryke didn't roll with it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It also paved the way for Opal and Bolin, which was not the best romance on its own accord either for various reasons.

Jacob

I really liked Bolin in the first season. Yeah he was dopey, but he was a fun character. He was effective in the ring and perhaps most importantly, Bolin was implied to be the ladies' man compared to his brother. By the time he met Eska early in Book 2 he'd just been so broken down by the writers. And the uncomfortable scenes with him and Ginger ... I'm still not sure if all the vibes from that were intentional, but it bothered me.

He did get some salvation through his relationship with Opal though, for which I was grateful. It was nice for them to have Bolin move away from some of his worse behavior, even if that behavior didn't seem to be a part of his character initially.

It also paved the way for Opal and Bolin, which was not the best romance on its own accord either for various reasons.

Mainly the fact that I forget who Opal is for long stretches of time in-between entering one of these threads. Also the fact that she seems to like Bolin in spite of his humor, not because of it.

But really, this is all indicative of a greater issue with Western (if not all) depictions of romance in fiction: The idea that all romance must be serious. Every major relationship in the show is boring (Varrick and Zhu Li are the exception), because the characters are so damn serious about being in love. I can't imagine any of the confirmed couples going on a date that isn't boring.

More writers need to learn that cuddles and tickle fights are more endearing than last-10-minutes-of-a-RomCom declarations of love and passionate Frenching. Go for humor or cuteness, not drama and moodiness when trying to depict a relationship that the audience will root for. If you really need to have one of those culminating moments, make it quick and unexpected.

Mainly the fact that I forget who Opal is for long stretches of time in-between entering one of these threads. Also the fact that she seems to like Bolin in spite of his humor, not because of it.

But really, this is all indicative of a greater issue with Western (if not all) depictions of romance in fiction: The idea that all romance must be serious. Every major relationship in the show is boring (Varrick and Zhu Li are the exception), because the characters are so damn serious about being in love. I can't imagine any of the confirmed couples going on a date that isn't boring.

More writers need to learn that cuddles and tickle fights are more endearing than last-10-minutes-of-a-RomCom declarations of love and passionate Frenching. Go for humor or cuteness, not drama and moodiness when trying to depict a relationship that the audience will root for. If you really need to have one of those culminating moments, make it quick and unexpected.
One of my favorite anime relationships is the one between Ayato and Haruka from Rahxephon. It's portrayed in a rather serious fashion, but you can tell that there's actually a good bond there. Another good one on the opposite tone is Kaname and Sosuke from Full Metal Panic.

Daemul

That sucks, hopefully she rediscovers the passion for drawing soon, though before she goes on her break, get her to draw this...

Amon, unavaatu, zaheer, and Kuvira in a compass placement(as in North, South, East West). Korra at the center. Decorate artfully with themes of the season, maybe the characters in each villains direction.

That's should keep her busy.

.....right here. This would be very cool to see done.

LOL!!!!!!!!!! This is brilliant and completely fitting. Makorra was toxic to the series, an utterly terrible romance.

I'm more annoyed that they didn't do more with pro bending

200w.gif

Less love triangle and more pro bending would have been perfect.

Wtf, I've just found a LoK rewatch thread in OT, someone blew their load early. We're rewatching ATLA first lmao
Is it actually a re-watch thread? I know he was doing a weird LTTP thing and trying to bring people in, but I don't know if that developed into a full re-watch thread.
Oh man, those are some great pics. I didn't get into the show until late 2006 but I'm so stoked about the anniversary.

Also, the ATLA rewatch thread is up. I hope you guys like it; let me know if you have any comments, criticisms, or ways to improve it. It's my first time making a thread of this sort so please be gentle. :p

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=996884
I'll check this out right quick let's gooooooooo

I really liked Bolin in the first season. Yeah he was dopey, but he was a fun character. He was effective in the ring and perhaps most importantly, Bolin was implied to be the ladies' man compared to his brother. By the time he met Eska early in Book 2 he'd just been so broken down by the writers. And the uncomfortable scenes with him and Ginger ... I'm still not sure if all the vibes from that were intentional, but it bothered me.

He did get some salvation through his relationship with Opal though, for which I was grateful. It was nice for them to have Bolin move away from some of his worse behavior, even if that behavior didn't seem to be a part of his character initially.

First of all, I want to point out that Bolin is very close to being the most well-written character in TLoK. Probably behind Korra. Honestly, Bolin goes through so many different arcs. I've made the comparison to Xander Harris from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I gotta say that it's far too true of a comparison. It really is.

That being said, Korra's mopey attitude is understandable. What happened to her is considerably more fucked up then anything that happened to Aang. Granted, yes, Aang's entire race was genocided which did devastate him emotionally. Not saying that isn't messed up, but compare what happened to Korra:
-Had her bending taken away (which based on the series' context, is essentially like a part of your body)
-Manipulated both physically and emotionally by her uncle, who also tried to murder her and technically did "kill" Raava.
-Was almost killed by her cousins
-Was pretty much killed by mercury poisoning, and also watched (she didn't know he lived until the end) her father "die".
-Suffered an intense depression and PTSD
-Got the shit kicked out of her a lot.

I mean, Korra went through some serious shit. I don't blame Korra for being mopey.

That sucks, hopefully she rediscovers the passion for drawing soon, though before she goes on her break, get her to draw this...

I sent her a message, hopefully I'll hear something

And to make matters worse, Rin retires and Terra-7 decides to upload some Baavira art, shit is all on my dashboard laughing at me!! Ugh!!!

Veelk

Banned

Thanks. I have a lot of visual ideas like this, for various franchises. Just one problem: I can't draw. So if someone's willing to take suggestions, I'm happy to provide them.

I mean, Korra went through some serious shit. I don't blame Korra for being mopey.

I feel like it's just writing 101 that, if you want the audience to care about a character crying, you have to show them laughing first.

Makorra was passionate, but blatantly unhealthy. It was a lust-hate relationship, and that's about all the analysis it deserves.

Korrasami was too little too late. While it at least seemed comforting to both parties, it's hard not to feel like it would fall flat as an actual, prolonged relationship. Practically all of their bonding is centered around the fact that they've experienced similar tragedies. Both women feel like they're still operating in their own little shells, leading at best to a comfortable-but-boring relationship.

Korra was never given someone that could make her happy, that could make her laugh. Just people that helped her momentarily escape the near-endless crap she deals with, and that's pretty depressing.

Lethe82

Banned

I actually like Korra a lot more as a protagonist (over Aang). After my second viewing of TLA it really started to grate on me just how much of a flake Aang was. I understand of course that he was young and had a tremendous burden on him, but the sheer amount of times he spazed out over the course of the series got very old. Sometimes you just wanted to smack him and tell him to stop being so selfish or moody. Worse yet was that at least a third of the episodes were devoted to (if not Aang) the same exact one off premise where a character makes a small mistake that is immediately misinterpreted by the entire group, who all then go mental (when one line of dialogue would have cleared the issue up in the first place) until the predictable resolution.

I guess the height of Aangs selfishness was when he, y'know, hid the letter from Sokka and Kataara's father, and I know that said episode is debated by fans if it counts as being OOC or not, but it happened. Even if we ignored that, the fact that he essentially ran away on the eve of fighting the Fire Lord because he just couldn't reconcile the idea that he might have to kill Ozai took the cake. Essentially he was placing his own happiness and desires above that the lives of millions of people and his friends who had moved heaven and earth for him up to that point. Good thing the giant turtle gave him an out.

So when Korra did role around with a more serious attitude, relative maturity, and acceptance of her larger duty I found her refreshing. She has her obvious flaws just like Aang did but on a macro level she was always trying to act in the interest of others, of being the Avatar and helping people. We never saw her stooping to the same lows as Aang (only close contender being Mako but even then she did legitimately have a period where she accepted that Mako and Asami were a couple and was being friends with them). The only time she pulled an Aang was after season 3, and at least then she was still searching for a way to get herself back into action prior to giving up after years.

She did have fun moments, especially in seasons 1 and 3, but she was also going through a lot more than Aang just in terms of sheer weight and immediate threats and the volume of abuse heaped on her. TLA you of course had your threats per episode but they were framed as being interspersed between travels, which of course did give Aang and co more time to decompress and have fun. Korra basically went through the wringer. Season 2 where they made everyone a jerk aside, they even managed to have some fun with Korra's stubborn direct I-lack-social-skills personality, particularly when she was trying to convince that deadbeat kid to join the air benders and it devolved into her shouting 'YES YOU DO!' at him for the entire scene while getting angrier and angrier to the point where the gang had to separate them, it was a really fun scene. Aang felt the guilt of not wanting greater responsibility (while also of course feeling that he should help people), where as Korra always embraced it to the point that she couldn't understand how someone could not want to rise to the call as it were.

I do think that Bolin and Korra would have made a good couple, but Korra and Asami work well together in that they are opposites in many ways and thus compensate (and help one another to overcome) each others weaknesses. Bolin is a fun guy, but I think Korra's emotional upheaval throughout the series would have sunk that relationship sooner or later. Korra by the end is a far different person than she started out as, but even so I think the only person of the cast who would have been capable of navigating the waters of what Korra was going through (and when Korra was acting out) from seasons one on-wards would have been Asami. Mako is a dependable guy but he doesn't really have the emotional depth that Korra needs, and I think only Asami would have been able to put up with and find ways the circumvent Korra's (sometimes unintentionally selfish bullshit).

The only downside is that Asami basically let Korra walk all over her in the earlier seasons, even up until season 4, but at least by the end of Season 4 Korra seems to be in a much more self aware place.

I really enjoyed TLA and there are some things that it unquestionably does better than TLOK (consistency, overall themes, character arcs) but I wanted to strangle virtually every main character at one point or another in TLA, because a lot of the episodic 'conflicts' were so contrived that they damaged the credibility of the protagonists in question.

I feel like it's just writing 101 that, if you want the audience to care about a character crying, you have to show them laughing first.

Makorra was passionate, but blatantly unhealthy. It was a lust-hate relationship, and that's about all the analysis it deserves.
Unhealthy is true, but I wouldn't describe it as lust-hate. They just didn't mix and because of the Civil War, emotions were higher than usual, so it got a bit more volatile then it ever should have. As soon as it got bad, it ended.

Lust-hate is like, some hyper-sexual, mutually abusive shit.

Not saying I don't understand your point, I just think Makorra is getting painted in a far more negative light than it needs to be. It's not like it was a bad relationship the whole time.

Lethe82

Banned
It might have even worked out if they had more down time to learn one another and get over their own issues. Back in the day both of them kind of suck at dealing with things emotionally and tend to lash out and become defensive, and that's not a good combination.

Well I mean heck we saw that on the train in season 4 as well. They just don't work as a couple but it wasn't an emotionally abusive relationship. It seems like something that was fueled by hormones mixed with the rush of danger. There are worse relationships.

Veelk

Banned
Essentially he was placing his own happiness and desires above that the lives of millions of people and his friends who had moved heaven and earth for him up to that point.
I don't feel like getting into this particular debate yet again (I think these debates is part of the reason I just don't care for utilitarianism as a whole anymore. It's just BS.), but I atleast want to address that Aang didn't run away at all. He was put into some kind of trance, and when he woke up on the lion turtle, he had no idea where he was. He didn't go away of his own volition.

So when Korra did role around with a more serious attitude, relative maturity, and acceptance of her larger duty I found her refreshing. She has her obvious flaws just like Aang did but on a macro level she was always trying to act in the interest of others, of being the Avatar and helping people. We never saw her stooping to the same lows as Aang (only close contender being Mako but even then she did legitimately have a period where she accepted that Mako and Asami were a couple and was being friends with them). The only time she pulled an Aang was after season 3, and at least then she was still searching for a way to get herself back into action prior to giving up after years.

No? According to you, Aang's highest point of selfishness is that he hid a letter because he was terrified that the only friends he had in the world would leave him. For me, he violently killed (I think...) a wasp out of anger and was an abrasive jackass to his friends when he was grieving over Appa.

Korra threatened to have a guy fucking mauled. And she did it while thinking that the trial of her father's crimes wasn't rigged. As far as she thought, the judge just administered justice to the best of his ability...She was convinced herself that her father had tried to instigate a war and she just didn't care was willing to have a innocent guy tortured/killed by Naga. Not to mention that reckless car crash that could have killed him by sheer chance before she even got to make her demands. I could even forgive her starting aware because atleast she was tricked into it, but this was just a pure and willful threat against human life.

I really don't think Aang comes out ahead in terms of greatest shithead moments the two had.

I don't feel like getting into this particular debate yet again (I think these debates is part of the reason I just don't care for utilitarianism as a whole anymore. It's just BS.), but I atleast want to address that Aang didn't run away at all. He was put into some kind of trance, and when he woke up on the lion turtle, he had no idea where he was. He didn't go away of his own volition.

No? According to you, Aang's highest point of selfishness is that he hid a letter because he was terrified that the only friends he had in the world would leave him. For me, he violently killed (I think...) a wasp out of anger and was an abrasive jackass to his friends when he was grieving over Appa.

Korra threatened to have a guy fucking mauled. And she did it while thinking that the trial of her father's crimes wasn't rigged. As far as she thought, the judge just administered justice to the best of his ability...She was convinced herself that her father had tried to instigate a war and she just didn't care was willing to have a innocent guy tortured/killed by Naga. Not to mention that reckless car crash that could have killed him by sheer chance before she even got to make her demands. I could even forgive her starting aware because atleast she was tricked into it, but this was just a pure and willful threat against human life.

I really don't think Aang comes out ahead in terms of greatest shithead moments the two had.

Nope. She knew the judge had been bought out because she had talked to Varrick beforehand and he ratted out the judge.

Veelk

Banned
Nope. She knew the judge had been bought out because she had talked to Varrick beforehand and he ratted out the judge.

Sorry, but nope. I double checked.

Here's how it happened. The sentence was given. A scene with Tenzin and Ikki. Then a scene with Korra, Korramom, and Tarrlok, where she immediately suggests that they bust him out. He objects, saying busting him out will start a war. Next scene is Korramom crying and feeling helpless. Then Korra goes and attacks the judge, at which point he blabbed everything.

Verrick told Mako and Bolin that the trial was rigged. I guess they might have told korra, but she doesn't indicate she knows anything about it, and by her own testimony, she couldn't come up with any argument for why her parents are innocent except that they are.

Edit: Oddly enough, one of the goons that was there during the unalaq kidnapping scene said her father is a traiter like the rest of them. For some reason, she didn't feel that bit of eye witness testimony was worth bringing up during the trial?

But it doesn't really matter if she personally knew her father was innocent. The point is that as far as she could tell, the court functioned as it should have. That it ended at the wrong conclusion is tragic, but the judge DID seem to have been on the up and up as far as she could tell. Verrick says it was rigged, but he couldn't say how.

Edit 2: my memory on what Korra was trying to do at that point is sketchy, but Unalaq wanted to arrest Verrick because he was suspected of conspiracy to overthrow him. Which Verrick did do. At that point, Korra still believed in Unalaq was genuine. So, your saying because the enemy of the guy she is supporting is saying that the trial is rigged (without saying how), that must mean it is? I mean, it was, but why would Korra take his word for that, especially when she couldn't find a fault in the trial herself. For what Verrick was saying to be true, she'd have to believe Unalaq was the one who did it...which she obviously didn't. She trusted him pretty much 100% until the judge blabbed his mouth for no reason.

God, season 2 was stupid.

Sorry, but nope. I double checked.

Here's how it happened. The sentence was given. A scene with Tenzin and Ikki. Then a scene with Korra, Korramom, and Tarrlok, where she immediately suggests that they bust him out. He objects, saying busting him out will start a war. Next scene is Korramom crying and feeling helpless. Then Korra goes and attacks the judge, at which point he blabbed everything.

Verrick told Mako and Bolin that the trial was rigged. I guess they might have told korra, but she doesn't indicate she knows anything about it, and by her own testimony, she couldn't come up with any argument for why her parents are innocent except that they are.

Edit: Oddly enough, one of the goons that was there during the unalaq kidnapping scene said her father is a traiter like the rest of them. For some reason, she didn't feel that bit of eye witness testimony was worth bringing up during the trial?

That was the part I was remembering. I remembered Korra being there with them. I always figured she wouldn't actually kill the judge, she was just intimidating him. That scene was super bonkers.

The whole trial was weird, but I figured it wouldn't have mattered. Korra wasn't thinking rationally, which is what fucked everything up in the first place.

Also, Korramom's name is Senna.

Veelk

Banned
That was the part I was remembering. I remembered Korra being there with them. I always figured she wouldn't actually kill the judge, she was just intimidating him. That scene was super bonkers.

The whole trial was weird, but I figured it wouldn't have mattered. Korra wasn't thinking rationally, which is what fucked everything up in the first place.

Also, Korramom's name is Senna.

She wasn't. She was with them later, but as I said, for her to trust Verrick, it would basically require her to see Unalaq for what he is before he was revealed, on the basis of the word of a guy who openly admitted he'd be willing to start a war to maintain his wealth. If she trusted Unalaq during and post the trial(which she obviously did), then she must have either not heard of Verrick's word, or just didn't believe it. And again, that's perfectly reasonable when even she couldn't find a fault in the trial, so I can't think of any explanation for how she could say the trial was rigged. I know she KNEW that her parents were innocent from personal experience, but just because the courts are wrong does not mean they weren't given a fair trial.

And Korra already risked killing him when she nearly ran him off the fucking cliff he was driving. What if he hadn't turned hard enough? He'd have gone tumbling down the mountain side and in all likelihood died. Might as well let Naga maul her. After all, she's Jack Baer now, and we know from well documented research that torture always works, right? But I guess you're right. If she was faking it, no harm done. After all, it's okay to threaten people with your giant vicious polar bear dog as long as it all works out in the end, right?

Yeah, remind me, how does Aang's little letter crisis look in comparison to this?

Oh, and rewatching the scene, Korra had also threatened to kill the judge in public at the trial. Classic Korra...

Lethe82

Banned
I don't feel like getting into this particular debate yet again (I think these debates is part of the reason I just don't care for utilitarianism as a whole anymore), but I atleast want to address that Aang didn't run away at all. He was put into some kind of trance, and when he woke up on the lion turtle, he had no idea where he was. He didn't go away of his own volition.

Fueled by his immense emotional conflict, similar to what happened to Zuko and Lin for whatever reason these things happen in the series. Regardless his dialogue leading up to that paints the picture very clearly. Wither or not he was placed into the trance by the turtle or it was fueled by his internal conflict and he was then drawn there is beside the point. I will at least give him credit for saying "I guess I have no choice but to kill the fire lord" after speaking with his past lives.

No? Aang's highest point of selfishness is that he hid a letter because he was terrified that the only friends he had in the world would leave him.

Which is worse than anything Korra did. He hid a letter from his two best friends who supported him throughout the entire series. A letter from their father who that had not heard from in years, who for all they knew up to a point might as well have been dead at various junctions (even at a time after having written the letter) when the loss of their mother was such a painful and ever present memory for them.

Instead of just saying to them 'please don't leave me' he lied to them in a very personal and selfish way. It wouldn't have been as huge of a deal (still huge mind you) for the viewers if his selfish tantrums hadn't been peppered throughout the series. Absolutely understand that he's going through a lot, it just doesn't make him as likable when it's such a semi frequent trend.

Korra threatened to have a guy fucking mauled. And she did it while thinking that the trial of her father's crimes wasn't rigged. As far as she thought, the judge just administered justice to the best of his ability...She was convinced herself that her father had tried to instigate a war and she just didn't care was willing to have a innocent guy tortured/killed by Naga.

Korra had no intention of letting him get mauled by Naga, it was interrogation to get information out of him. The idea that she was actually going to let Naga kill him? That's insane even from a completely pragmatic standpoint, she clearly used Naga as a threat and after the initial bit of information slipped and she then knew 200% that the judge was dirty she would have no reason to actually follow through. She went after him because she suspected that it was rigged. Don't forget that she had already been given hints that something was fishy.

He_wouldn_t_join_us.png

She had already been told flat out that her father was not a member of the rebellion.
Korra: What, who are you?
Rebel: We asked him but he wouldn't join us, he's a traitor just like you!

I_would_never_attack_him.png

She had already heard from her fathers own mouth that he would never attack his brother.
"My brother and I have our differences but I would never attack him"
He then affirms how proud his is of her and how sorry he is for having held her back

Unalaaq says that he's going to appoint the most fair judge he knows and that he doesn't believe Tarrlok had anything to do with it either.

...Who then turns around and does this for the trial.

We saw a grand total of two witnesses called, Unalaaq who said he was knocked out and then the judge questioning Korra, cutting her off when she tried to explain? The scene is straight up a kangaroo court.

judge.png

*note the elevated position of the judge over Korra

Judge: According to Unalaaqs testimony, you attented a meeting where Verrick tried insight a civil war, is that true?

Korra: ...Yes

Judge: And were these men present at that meeting?

Korra: Well yes- but!

Just_look_down_upon.png

Judge: - And where exactly did the meeting take place?

Judge: I'll ask you one more time, where did this meeting happen?

Korra: ...my parents house

Judge: And who led the meeting?

Judge: Verrick and your father led the meeting didn't they?

My_parents_are_innocent.png

Korra: My parents are innocent!

Judge: I've heard all I need to, I'll return shortly with my decision

Life_in_prison_lols.png

*eyes grimacing on certain words for dramatic effect/implying undue process/'bad guy

Judge: I find you guilty of treason. As punishment for this crime I sentence you to death

The judge sentenced people to death on circumstantial evidence alone, Korra had absolutely no reason to think that it was a fair trial. The only reason she only went after the judge was because she didn't suspect her uncle yet because he had inoculated himself from suspicion by acting surprised and asking the judge to reconsider.

The trail was obviously a sham; Korra had enough hints before hand and the notion that she was doing this "while thinking that the trial of her father's crimes wasn't rigged. As far as she thought, he had administered justice to the best of his ability...she just didn't care" doesn't add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom