• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would've loved to see the reaction from President Raiko at seeing the new state of the city. Boy did the Republic City take some hits under his leadership ha. From getting attacking by a giant Dark Avatar, large section made uninhabitable by the vines and then Kuvira giving the city a special little redecoration while there.
No wonder he seems stressed.
Reiko's probably bitching about his new office being right next to the spirit portal, either that or his poll numbers.
"she barely seems to be aware of it"

That's part of the flaws.

The only time I thought it was real bad was with the SuLin situation
You can either learn from your mistakes, or keep making the same ones. She chose to keep making the same ones till it got the city she built herself invaded. Yeah it's a flaw, but that is one costly flaw.

The good ol "Fuck Su" part of the cycle, it was that time.
Because somebody had to ask why there's a "Fuck Su" cycle we wind up back in that cycle. It's easy to like her, but at the same time really easy to hate her.
You mean to tell me this person eventually grew up to make right decisions.
tumblr_inline_n6v5plRzp81sgwfvc.png

bullshit_pilkington.gif

I wouldn't call it garbage more flawed. Leave calling stuff garbage for the shows that truly deserve that term. The Following would be a good example.
It's quite fascinating at just how bad that show gets.

Would've loved to see the reaction from President Raiko at seeing the new state of the city. Boy did the Republic City take some hits under his leadership ha. From getting attacking by a giant Dark Avatar, large section made uninhabitable by the vines and then Kuvira giving the city a special little redecoration while there.
No wonder he seems stressed.

tumblr_nkmew8l7rV1qihroqo1_250.gif

Yeah, you're right that's a bit of hyperbole. I think often times their actions and the things they say just aren't consistent.

I never had a problem with Su, but I thought she was a little annoying in Enemy at the Gates.
I have siblings. Su just seems like the most self aggrandizing pain in the ass to deal with so I can see why Lin was just like, "Fuck these people" for 30 years. It wasn't the right decision either, but Su and Toph require a good amount of patience to deal with.

Well, the earring thing is permanent iirc.

I know the earrings are permanent, that's why my question was why would anyone bother using the dance OVER the earrings. Like, if you had a choice. Is there any advantage to the dance? At all?
Because somebody had to ask why there's a "Fuck Su" cycle we wind up back in that cycle. It's easy to like her, but at the same time really easy to hate her.
You mean to tell me this person eventually grew up to make right decisions.
tumblr_inline_n6v5plRzp81sgwfvc.png

bullshit_pilkington.gif

People change.

I know the earrings are permanent, that's why my question was why would anyone bother using the dance OVER the earrings. Like, if you had a choice. Is there any advantage to the dance? At all?

People change.
After a half hour you get to split up and go back to your wife. Su changed some what I'll agree, but she's still a rather selfish and short sighted person in her older age, that part just never changed. Lin had some parts of herself that were completely the same during her flashback as well. Su's also just really controlling. Even when she finally made up with Lin at the end she started trying to plan out Lin's role as Aunt to her kids before Lin reigned her ass in immediately.

The good ol "Fuck Su" part of the cycle, it was that time.

Apparently.

I still don't get the massive animosity after the fact (yea she fucked up in the earlier days but hey, also there isn't much info after in regards to the Kuvira bit other from little surface level stuff that was never expanded on). *shrug*

The writing just rears it ugly head here tbh and we are relegated to reading in most of it (SHE TRIED TO FUCKING KILL HER at least give some decent reasoning on why that was considered the final solution due to the bagagge attached and the possible emotions of both sides therein) which unfortunately is to Su's detriment lol

Funnily enough it seems Su inherited the whole "family" mantra Toph was attempting to push while Lin threw it away. :p

Apparently.

I still don't get the massive animosity after the fact (yea she fucked up in the earlier days but hey, also there isn't much info after in regards to the Kuvira bit other from little surface level stuff that was never expanded on). *shrug*

Funnily enough it seems Su inherited the whole family mantra Toph was pushing while Lin threw it away (ironically due to that incident).

The writing just rears it ugly head here tbh and we are relegated to reading in most of it (SHE TRIED TO FUCKING KILL HER at least give some solid reasoning on why that was considered the final solution and the possible emotions of both sides therein) which unfortunately is to Su's detriment lol
Not only did she try to kill Kuvira, she tried to kill Kuvira in her fucking pajamas, that's some cowardice bullshit.

Not only did she try to kill Kuvira, she tried to kill Kuvira in her fucking pajamas, that's some cowardice bullshit.

Eh wouldn't be much of an Assassination if you couldn't get the target in a vulnerable position.

I'm just interested that one was ordered in the first place (funnily enough for a person who wanted no part in politics this move is usually considered showing otherwise LOL).

Eh wouldn't be much of an Assassination if you couldn't get the target in a vulnerable position.

I'm just interested that one was ordered in the first place.
This is a supposed good guy character taking her twin sons out with her on an assassination hit. That's some book Dexter shit. The transition from "she's like daughter to me" to "kill this bitch!" transition is something that should've been at the forefront because no parent wants to kill offspring, even if she isn't by blood, she's known Kuvira about as long as she's known Opal, if not longer.

This is a supposed good guy character taking her twin sons out with her on an assassination hit. That's some book Dexter shit. The transition from "she's like daughter to me" to "kill this bitch!" transition is something that should've been at the forefront because no parent wants to kill offspring, even if she isn't by blood, she's known Kuvira about as long as she's known Opal, if not longer.

To be fair, she does say that Kuvira "was" like a daughter to her, implying that she disowned her.

We have to take into account that Kuvira's been doing this shit for 3 years. It's not a sudden change.

To be fair, she does say that Kuvira "was" like a daughter to her, implying that she disowned her.

We have to take into account that Kuvira's been doing this shit for 3 years. It's not a sudden change.
Yeah this is true. She just never tries to ask for anybody to reason with her. She ordered Korra to go into the avatar state and flatten her several times. She essentially just asks for Kuvira's head on a pike several times within the first 6? episodes that season. Granted yeah probably within 3 years she probably tried as well to negotiate I would assume, but yeah I guess that 3 year jump really did give them an excuse not to develop certain aspects of that story.

Yeah this is true. She just never tries to ask for anybody to reason with her. She ordered Korra to go into the avatar state and flatten her several times. She essentially just asks for Kuvira's head on a pike several times within the first 6? episodes that season. Granted yeah probably within 3 years she probably tried as well to negotiate I would assume, but yeah I guess that 3 year jump really did give them an excuse not to develop certain aspects of that story.

The time skip is exactly what the biggest problem is with the final season. So much happens yet we see so little.

-We miss a lot of development from Kuvira and how she came to do, well, everything.
-We miss a lot of the development of the world from a political standpoint
-We get nothing out of the new Air Nation.

It's painful, really.

The time skip is exactly what the biggest problem is with the final season. So much happens yet we see so little.

-We miss a lot of development from Kuvira and how she came to do, well, everything.
-We miss a lot of the development of the world from a political standpoint
-We get nothing out of the new Air Nation.

It's painful, really.
It really is painful because I think the scene where Su really casts Kuvira out would be a powerful one. I also don't think Kuvira hates Su, but Su most likely does hate Kuvira. Just the tones and the language she uses with her shows it Kuvira is really disappointed with Su though since kuvira looked up to her.

It really is painful because I think the scene where Su really casts Kuvira out would be a powerful one. I also don't think Kuvira hates Su, but Su most likely does hate Kuvira. Just the tones and the language she uses with her shows it Kuvira is really disappointed with Su though since kuvira looked up to her.

I think Su is also disappointed, but the difference here is that Su didn't go and create superweapons and concentration camps. Especially considering it was known that Kuvira was a resident of Zaofu, and is thus associated with Su.

So yeah, it's okay for Suyin Beifong to be that angry.

I think Su is also disappointed, but the difference here is that Su didn't go and create superweapons and concentration camps. Especially considering it was known that Kuvira was a resident of Zaofu, and is thus associated with Su.

So yeah, it's okay for Suyin Beifong to be that angry.
This is true. I always look at Kuvira as book 2 Korra. Korra without a mentor is a fucking disaster, but at the end Korra pulled her shit together and started listening to Tenzin again. Su is Kuvira's Tenzin, but it just didn't work out with those two. Kuvira needed a mentor figure patient enough and willing to help her. She had Su. Su isn't really a God mentor and Kuvira is just a bit too damaged to know when she's gone too far. She was trying to over compensate for too much mental damage.

SystemBug

This is true. I always look at Kuvira as book 2 Korra. Korra without a mentor is a fucking disaster, but at the end Korra pulled her shit together and started listening to Tenzin again. Su is Kuvira's Tenzin, but it just didn't work out with those two. Kuvira needed a mentor figure patient enough and willing to help her. She had Su. Su isn't really a God mentor and Kuvira is just a bit too damaged to know when she's gone too far. She was trying to over compensate for too much mental damage.

I'm sure Hitler was too but that dude doesn't get my sympathy.

I'm sure Hitler was too but that dude doesn't get my sympathy.
He murdered a fuck ton of people and incited...yeah never mind I was going to try disputing those similarities but it would not have worked there are a good amount. Hitler united his people and yep...massive body count. Ugh Why did they have to make her Hitler/Stalin/Mao.

It's his contribution for the Nucleus Exhibition (though not entirely his, Emily Tetri did the tower and he did everything else), he's going to be selling 100 autographed copies of it at the exhibition.

The Korrasami Borg Collective is already planning a royal rumble at the exhibit to get their hands on those, lmao.

360pages

I'm starting to think they are having way too much fun with the new DBZ movie.

tumblr_nkptro4ePD1r72ht7o1_500.gif

tumblr_nkpt3hyoCx1r72ht7o1_500.gif

Also, are people shitting on Su, I found her annoying, which is funny considering she got along with Toph.

I think people forget that personalities traits that are endearing when younger suck as you get older. As seen with Toph.

Also, are people shitting on Su, I found her annoying, which is funny considering she got along with Toph.

I think people forget that personalities traits that are endearing when younger suck as you get older. As seen with Toph.
Frieza's "Thriller" motif looks hilarious as fuck, good that they're having fun with the characters. When don't a portion of this thread hate on Su? Don't get me wrong none of the cast is perfect but god damn. The one that got along with Toph best is the same person that scarred Lin just as much as Toph herself.

360pages

Frieza's "Thriller" motif looks hilarious as fuck, good that they're having fun with the characters. When don't a portion of this thread hate on Su? Don't get me wrong none of the cast is perfect but god damn. The one that got along with Toph best is the same person that scarred Lin just as much as Toph herself.

I think that made it the most jarring shift, is the fact that it felt like Toph honestly didn't care about Lin. Or at least barely gave a shit most of the time, the fact that she was irritated at her daughter (Even if she had emotional justification) for trying to be like her was stupid enough.

Most parents would sit down and tell their kids they need to be their own person.

I think that made it the most jarring shift, is the fact that it felt like Toph honestly didn't care about Lin. Or at least barely gave a shit most of the time, the fact that she was irritated at her daughter (Even if she had emotional justification) for trying to be like her was stupid enough.

Most parents would sit down and tell their kids they need to be their own person.
Toph should've felt honored that Lin wanted to follow in her footsteps but she just seemed to admonish her for it. Lin's a very successful kid in her own right. She managed to take what Toph did and even innovate some of it as well. The fact that Toph never told Lin about her dad until fucking Bolin of all people, a stranger till that day to Toph asked about it. Lin had every right to be pissed off at Toph. Toph's parental advice just seems to be "big deal get over it." Lin didn't get over it, she wanted to cut her own mom out of her life and it took that happening to smack some sense into Toph.

Lethe82

Banned

People change.

She didn't, she just got better at using her selfishness productively.

She didn't, she just got better at using her selfishness productively.
Su's a woman that couldn't even use the mistakes from her past to relate to Kuvira. They have a fair amount in common and she couldn't even use those experiences to help guide her from doing fucked up shit.

Didn't Kuvira leave on her own? She wasn't really cast out right?

Didn't Kuvira leave on her own? She wasn't really cast out right?
I think it's a bit of both. Kuvira said she would come back on her own terms, pretty much I think she just manipulated the situation to make it appear that she did it by choice either that or she just left before Su got the chance to have her bodily thrown out. Their falling out was more private than public. If it was more public I don't think Kuvira would've left with that much backing from Zaofu supporters.

I think Su is just as good a mentor as Tenzin, the problem is that Kuvira was going against what Su believed in. Tenzin believed in Korra and they both were working towards the same things, but Korra's arrogance, impatience, and need to fight things made her choose Unalaq over Tenzin. Tenzin took it hard, but didn't go overboard because he focused on his family instead, which was necessary to him.

Su's family was damaged, and she saw Kuvira as the cause and being in the way of that. Opal is busy with the Air Nation, Jr. and Kuvira are taking over the Earth Kingdom, Lin is in Republic City, Toph is hiding in a swamp, Bolin (her daughter's love) is also working for Kuvira, Zaofu is fucked, and the rest of her family is either a) ready to fight, but can't because they can't prove anything and would be going against the UN; Or b) fucking useless, because architecture isn't important when you don't have the funds and art isn't doing much for anyone right now.

I'm pretty sure Toriyama just wants to make DBZ a musical series at this point. Dragonball M.

I think Su is just as good a mentor as Tenzin, the problem is that Kuvira was going against what Su believed in. Tenzin believed in Korra and they both were working towards the same things, but Korra's arrogance, impatience, and need to fight things made her choose Unalaq over Tenzin. Tenzin took it hard, but didn't go overboard because he focused on his family instead, which was necessary to him.

Su's family was damaged, and she saw Kuvira as the cause and being in the way of that. Opal is busy with the Air Nation, Jr. and Kuvira are taking over the Earth Kingdom, Lin is in Republic City, Toph is hiding in a swamp, Bolin (her daughter's love) is also working for Kuvira, Zaofu is fucked, and the rest of her family is either a) ready to fight, but can't because they can't prove anything and would be going against the UN; Or b) fucking useless, because architecture isn't important when you don't have the funds and art isn't doing much for anyone right now.
Su really doesn't seem like the type of person that would sit down and explain her reasoning. This is a bit of a meme for a reason and it's not just related to conquering the earth kingdom either:
Kuvira probably actually had relevant ideas on running Zaofu better as well, but Su probably just shot them down just because. Korra and Tenzin have something that Kuvira and Su lack and that's mutual respect for each other. Tenzin doesn't just few Korra as a puppet or some dog, he views her as Korra, the Avatar. Su probably just thinks of Kuvira as that orphan she rescued and probably never even bothered to realize that she's actually grown up to be a fairly capable person. Her earth kingdom conquering moment is probably just her going "I'm just like you, please notice and love me please." She definitely took that shit too far though and she should be punished for the damage she did, but Su never noticed that a woman with her past is probably going to wind up doing some fucked up shit if you don't keep an eye on her and guide her. Su never even apologizes for never really being there for her when she grew up. Because let's face it Suyin probably actually is Kuvira's mother figure, Su just never bothered to realize that she would have that effect on her.
The true eyebrow champion
tumblr_inline_ni3d5syC2P1shfdy5.gif
I will always love this one:
h96683793

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom