• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

She's a strong bender, which I stated, she's just technically not the best technique wise. She's like a Street Fighter player that Hadokens their way through fights. Her physical prowess is the reason why she's so deadly. Aang wasn't the best earth, fire or water bender, but he was a master class airbender and it showed. Korra doesn't really seem like the best any bender in Korra, she's just the strongest bender. She's not even a better or at least more creative water bender than Ming Hua, but she'd probably brute force her way through that fight. She's like mid tier tops in her bending elements technique wise.

Pretty much this, honestly she would probably lose to any master bender one on one if they were using only a single bender. And not the chumps that the White Lotus call masters either.

Korra probably never had to learn to be creative with her abilities, restrictions force us to be creative. When she could bend 3 elements at 5. It pretty much prevented her from learning the ins and outs of the element like regular benders and Aang had to do.

Pretty much this, honestly she would probably lose to any master bender one on one if they were using only a single bender. And not the chumps that the White Lotus call masters either.

Korra probably never had to learn to be creative with her abilities, restrictions force us to be creative. When she could bend 3 elements at 5. It pretty much prevented her from learning the ins and outs of the element like regular benders and Aang had to do.
She's not even a better bender than Kuvira is. Kuvira is definitely in tune with metal bending and knows the ins and outs of that, probably does it in her sleep. Korra honestly in my opinion doesn't even seem to care about the traditions of her born into bending element of water. She never even carries around one of those skin flasks full of water like Kya and Unalaaq did. I get that she still has access to 3 other elements, but give a shit please.

She's not even a better bender than Kuvira is. Kuvira is definitely in tune with metal bending and knows the ins and outs of that, probably does it in her sleep. Korra honestly in my opinion doesn't even seem to care about the traditions of her born into bending element of water. She never even carries around one of those skin flasks full of water like Kya and Unalaaq did. I get that she still has access to 3 other elements, but give a shit please.

Let's consider though: She could bend three elements from the time she was 4 and onwards. She's a Water Tribe native, but unlike Aang she didn't grow up knowing only one single element, mastering it, and then going on to learn the others. She learned three bending styles all at once, so she never felt the need to master one single element. Not only that, she was isolated for most of her life in a single camp. She couldn't even experience other cultures to help her better achieve the status of master in any bending camp.

Besides, she may not be a master of any one particular element, but she does probably have the biggest arsenal in terms of bending and Avatar abilities.

That's something I love about ATLA and TLoK. The fact that every single major character we see on the show has a unique fighting style, even if the traits are minimal at best, they're enough to differentiate the characters. Just look at the entire Beifong family and I've pretty much made my point.

Let's consider though: She could bend three elements from the time she was 4 and onwards. She's a Water Tribe native, but unlike Aang she didn't grow up knowing only one single element, mastering it, and then going on to learn the others. She learned three bending styles all at once, so she never felt the need to master one single element. Not only that, she was isolated for most of her life in a single camp. She couldn't even experience other cultures to help her better achieve the status of master in any bending camp.

Besides, she may not be a master of any one particular element, but she does probably have the biggest arsenal in terms of bending and Avatar abilities.

That's something I love about ATLA and TLoK. The fact that every single major character we see on the show has a unique fighting style, even if the traits are minimal at best, they're enough to differentiate the characters. Just look at the entire Beifong family and I've pretty much made my point.
Then it shows some laziness on her part. At the very least she learned how to metal bend though. Look at her in book 1. She wanted to learn how to air bend without dealing with all of the intricacies of the element to begin with. Pretty much she wants to learn how to use a gun, with learning how to aim the damn thing first. It's just one of those flaws with her. She's not really "great" with the knowledge of her bending but she's great at applying her bending power to put down a threat.

Then it shows some laziness on her part. At the very least she learned how to metal bend though. Look at her in book 1. She wanted to learn how to air bend without dealing with all of the intricacies of the element to begin with. Pretty much she wants to learn how to use a gun, with learning how to aim the damn thing first. It's just one of those flaws with her. She's not really "great" with the knowledge of her bending but she's great at applying her bending power to put down a threat.

I don't think it's laziness at all. The White Lotus kept her in an isolated area and pretty much cut the fat and went straight to the bending. She probably felt her airbender training was going to follow the same route and pushed it in that direction. Not only that, Korra likes to fight. She likes being the Avatar because that means she's strong and she sees that power as being a tool for beating up the bad guys. I honestly think her character arc is really well done in that regard.

I don't think it's laziness at all. The White Lotus kept her in an isolated area and pretty much cut the fat and went straight to the bending. She probably felt her airbender training was going to follow the same route and pushed it in that direction. Not only that, Korra likes to fight. She likes being the Avatar because that means she's strong and she sees that power as being a tool for beating up the bad guys. I honestly think her character arc is really well done in that regard.
Yet even through most of that she barely beat the bad guys and if she did she had assistance. I just find it weird that the people she's supposed to be fighting are more knowledgable fighters than she is. She was just born with all of this power but she didn't really have to work too hard at it.

Yet even through most of that she barely beat the bad guys and if she did she had assistance. I just find it weird that the people she's supposed to be fighting are more knowledgable fighters than she is. She was just born with all of this power but she didn't really have to work too hard at it.

I think it's a matter of her cutting her training short. It's been shown that she catches on incredibly fast. The problem is once she's technically considered a master, she pretty much stops training. She didn't have to work as hard at it, but she makes up for that in other ways. I think there's a balanced payoff in the end.

Like, the Gaang had to constantly train because they were constantly fighting. It was a war. Korra lived in a regular society and just dealt with issues as they popped up, as opposed to dealing with a constant threat.

Toa TAK

Banned
jZeRq6V.png
Do a better one.

I think it's a matter of her cutting her training short. It's been shown that she catches on incredibly fast. The problem is once she's technically considered a master, she pretty much stops training. She didn't have to work as hard at it, but she makes up for that in other ways. I think there's a balanced payoff in the end.
I wouldn't consider her a master at any of the elements. I'll admit she improved greatly, especially with air actually, but she's not the best at any of them. Kuvira trumps her at metal, Lin trumps her at earth, Ming Hua trumps her at water, Zaheer trumps her at air (he wasn't Tenzin tier, but still damn good). She's the best firebender at least. Mako has lightning cause he needed something, same goes to Bolin with his lava bending.

I wouldn't consider her a master at any of the elements. I'll admit she improved greatly, especially with air actually, but she's not the best at any of them. Kuvira trumps her at metal, Lin trumps her at earth, Ming Hua trumps her at water, Zaheer trumps her at air (he wasn't Tenzin tier, but still damn good). She's the best firebender at least. Mako has lightning cause he needed something, same goes to Bolin with his lava bending.

That's why I said "technically." She was declared such by the White Lotus and Tenzin, but it's like graduating with a Master's degree. Just because a school says you're a master in that subject, doesn't mean you actually are. There's always more to learn and perfect.

That's why I said "technically." She was declared such by the White Lotus and Tenzin, but it's like graduating with a Master's degree. Just because a school says you're a master in that subject, doesn't mean you actually are. There's always more to learn and perfect.
She learned in the dojo's, not in the school of hard knocks. I think the people that learned it by themselves or however the hell these guys learned it did a better job of learning it than Korra did. Korra gets out classed in waterbending by a no armed woman of all people. I just find it odd that she never wanted to properly master any of the elements that she knows.

She learned in the dojo's, not in the school of hard knocks. I think the people that learned it by themselves or however the hell these guys learned it did a better job of learning it than Korra did. Korra gets out classed in waterbending by a no armed woman of all people. I just find it odd that she never wanted to properly master any of the elements that she knows.

She mastered the basics, but never went advanced. She does also have healing, metalbending, and spiritbending though. Like I said, she has a bigger tool kit.

Trey

I wouldn't call Korra lazy. More like impatient, and during the course of the show, busy.

I do wish Korra was more of a stickler for improving her craft, though. Give her that season 1 Katara drive. Would have been fun to see a character take bending to its absolute height. But I think it's unfair criticism to say that Korra always lost. Her enemies were tenacious in their own right, and it would have been looked at unfavorably to see her bop them one after the other. Each were defeated in a different manner (and were supposed to teach Korra something as a result, but this was hamfisted) which played into the major theme of the season. It's also good that the other characters chipped in to help, considering every single major antagonist was a global threat.

Hamlet

Well, I stopped at after episode 10 so the last thing I saw when that dude getting smothered in his sleep. If you guys say so I'll continue ( I was anyway even though this show has been doing nothing but pissing me off)

When the whole love triangle business started, I shit you not and said "ugh.... not this shit again" lmao

And Flandy, this is what happens in post finale KorraGAF. We talk about random stuff and unite in our undying hatred for Suyin Beifong.

Lol almost forgotten about that.
Lets just say that the romance really takes a back seat from here on out.

-Deimos

Well, I stopped at after episode 10 so the last thing I saw when that dude getting smothered in his sleep. If you guys say so I'll continue ( I was anyway even though this show has been doing nothing but pissing me off)

When the whole love triangle business started, I shit you not and said "ugh.... not this shit again" lmao

And Flandy, this is what happens in post finale KorraGAF. We talk about random stuff and unite in our undying hatred for Suyin Beifong.

Don't worry about that, it's only a problem for a few episodes before they drop the love triangle shit completely.

Lol almost forgotten about that.
Lets just say that the romance really takes a back seat from here on out.

Don't worry about that, it's only a problem for a few episodes before they drop the love triangle shit completely.

oh thank god, I'm about to finish season 1 tonight and start on 2 tomorrow.

Love triangles in shows is something that needs to be banned, they always suck.

yea, leave that shit to romance novels or 90s R&B videos featuring Brandy and Monica.

Yall want to experience some stupid people, play charades with your roommates !! Got damn!! The app said "having a picnic". This dude has a panic attack!!!! Smh...

Maybe he's dyslexic.

He's not. It was quite hysterical actually, because he just misread it and we all started laughing. We ran through the video game category like it was nothing though, it was nice... We usually all just keep to ourselves in the apartment but for some reason we decided to play charades.

He's not. It was quite hysterical actually, because he just misread it and we all started laughing. We ran through the video game category like it was nothing though, it was nice... We usually all just keep to ourselves in the apartment but for some reason we decided to play charades.
Sounds like fun.

Eh.

John Micheal Higgins thinks Kuvira's complex. +1 For the GREAT UNITER.
Satsuki is Kuvira wth a theme song and actual character development. She even has those massive eyebrows you love so much. Just make sure you watch the sub, she sounds a lot more commanding in Japanese.

Toa TAK

Banned
Satsuki is Kuvira wth a theme song and actual character development. She even has those massive eyebrows you love so much. Just make sure you watch the sub, she sounds a lot more commanding in Japanese.

Woah, Kuvira has her own theme. Also, I heard the English voice, and it's exactly how I imagined that voice to sound like.

DRUMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom