• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
Technically, yes, because the main plot of season 2 was concluded, but it had a sequel hook that basically left me crying it wasn't going to continue.

I have my problems with Young Justice, but I've never seen a comic universe feel more authentic than this while including the ENTIRE DC universe. Dozens of characters, groups, organizations, with their own motives and plot intentions. It was great.

Toa TAK

Banned
I just got home only to see all the tickets are sold out. :(

Like damn, if the website worked like it was supposed to last night. :(

Ah well. I need to sleep for work anyways. :(

Technically, yes, because the main plot of season 2 was concluded, but it had a sequel hook that basically left me crying it wasn't going to continue.

I have my problems with Young Justice, but I've never seen a comic universe feel more authentic than this while including the ENTIRE DC universe. Dozens of characters, groups, organizations, with their own motives and plot intentions. It was great.

Yeah. I consider it to be a crime against humanity to leave it unfinished. It all worked so well.

I'm just saying, I couldn't pull it off.

Plus, I'm not a cosplay kinda dude.

would you say that if you were talking to:

B7BDRwNCAAAxh0Q.jpg:large

I would say Justice League does the universe as a whole better. Considering it's part of the DCAU. Though YJ does do a good job as well. I really like YJ. Has what I consider to be one of the single most genuine relationship moments in animation.

Veelk

Banned
I would say Justice League does the universe as a whole better. Considering it's part of the DCAU. Though YJ does do a good job as well. I really like YJ. Has what I consider to be one of the single most genuine relationship moments in animation.
It's too episodic. Having long term development for so many parties made YJ's world embued with purpose. With JL, it's always just what they happen to be doing that particular week, never with lasting consequences. That has its own advantages, but it makes the world feel less authentic to me.

JL as a whole has better character moments. YJ has so many characters that it struggled with showing it. It was obviously happening, in the background, but we rarely got to see any of it. It was a fantastic show, but with a huge emphasis on showing plot machinations, which is a steep contrast to spectacular Spiderman. That show felt similarly well built, but since they only had a much smaller cast, they could really get into Peters head. With YJ, we just have to guess at the relationship nightwing and zatanna had, how he apparently got with batgirl and a bunch of other girls at some point. That'd be a great thing to look at, but we don't have time.

I wish we had gotten more of that in YJ, but the ambition of the scope simply didn't allow it in the limited screen time they had.

It's too episodic. Having long term development for so many parties made YJ's world embued with purpose. With JL, it's always just what they happen to be doing that particular week, never with lasting consequences.

JL as a whole has better character moments. YJ has so many characters that it struggled with showing it. It was obviously happening, in the background, but we rarely got to see any of it. It was a fantastic show, but with a huge emphasis on showing plot machinations, which is a steep contrast to spectacular Spiderman. That show felt similarly well built, but since they only had a much smaller cast, they could really get into Peters head.

I kind of wish we had gotten more of that in YJ, but the ambition of the scope simply didn't allow it in the limited screen time they had.
It was less plot-focused and more character-focused. There were plenty of lasting consequences though. Well into Unlimited.

Veelk

Banned
It was less plot-focused and more character-focused. There were plenty of lasting consequences though. Well into Unlimited.
I dislike those terms. Plot and character are so intricately linked, they might as well be the same thing. More internal focus vs external focus. I know there were some, but nothing to the scale of YJ, and still not much to any show that's basically sequentially oriented.

360pages

I dislike those terms. Plot and character are so intricately linked, they might as well be the same thing. More internal focus vs external focus. I know there were some, but nothing to the scale of YJ, and still not much to any show that's basically sequentially oriented.

I think having something Episodic isn't a bad thing. It makes having more varied situations far and having more characters have a moment to shine. Thus more character moments are built. My main problem with YJ is that everything was always dire, there were very little down moments or throwaway episodes. But we never really saw the characters relax much.

This makes it feel disconnected from them. Sure their is realistic drama, but it made their more laxed moments feel somewhat out of place even when they were genuinely earned.

Veelk

Banned
I think having something Episodic isn't a bad thing. It makes having more varied situations far and having more characters have a moment to shine. Thus more character moments are built. My main problem with YJ is that everything was always dire, there were very little down moments or throwaway episodes. But we never really saw the characters relax much.

This makes it feel disconnected from them. Sure their is realistic drama, but it made their more laxed moments feel somewhat out of place even when they were genuinely earned.

It isn't, but I usually find sequential narratives to be more satisfying, and such is the case with Young Justice. JL was good though, no denial.

As for what your talking about, I think it's more just time constraints. The show was getting screwed on that before it was even canceled. I always think that 30 episodes or so would have served it good. But I place great value on having a continual series of events influencing one another, and YJ delivered that.

I just can't believe the show has been reduced to making a cameo on Teen Titans Go. Ugh.

Hey Veelk. Long time no see.

Sup.

Why? It's completely accurate and while they're linked, they're hardly the same thing. A show like Scrubs, for example, has no central plot and is entirely driven by individual character arcs. I would say that it's a character-focused show. Now, if you want, an overall better terminology would be procedural vs. serial. That's actually the most accurate.

JL was more procedural, but JLU was very serial. There were plenty of lasting consequences and impacts, it just had a significantly longer period of time before the payoff than YJ. Hell, even YJ has a far more procedural first season, with the second season being more serialized. I recall reading an interview with Greg Weissman on the finale of YJ, and he even stated that S2 was intended to be more focused on the plot as opposed to the characters (fans complained about the lack of attention given to the new Team members. I was personally upset about the lack of focus on Wonder Girl).

There is plenty of a distinction between the two to understand the difference.

Veelk

Banned
Nope. I understand that people think there is a distinction between the two, but there really isn't. Plot shapes characters who shape the plot. The plot of scrubs is vital to the characters developing because with no plot, they... Wouldn't move. The plot doesn't have to be unique or complex, but merely because it's not the draw does not mean it is not the vehicle on which the characters ride on.

Similarly, if you have no motive for the character, things can't happen or can't happen sensibly. The plot does not move until a character decides "I am going to do x because of y". You don't have that, you have no story.

So when you say that scrubs is character centric, what you are actually saying is that the characters are the interesting part of the show, not that plot is not important or does not happen. It's just not what you, as the viewer, pay attention to. But it's there, every time a characters is there. It is vital, even if it's uninventive. The characters and plot are actually, at all times, of equal centric power. Because they are actually the same exact thing. Cox having an internal realization is a character moment as well as an event that is happening. In other words, a plot point. Let Luthor doing his thing may be the plot, but it also characterizing him since he is the one doing it, making it a character point. They are both that which is happening in a story.

For the record, this is pure semantics. I know what you mean. I'm just saying, for what your describing, plot and character are the wrong words. They imply a distinction that doesn't exist in any story in the world. External and internal focus are far more efficient terms.

Best part of YJ was the amount of Xanatos Gambits flying around. The Light were so good at them that Nightwing had to join in on the fun in season 2.

CDiggity

I know that the series was left without a conclusion, but the fact that the Light never really got their commupance will always bug me.

On the topic of the QA, I'm the kind of person who would ask silly meta questions like "what questions will you ultimately never give us a decisive answer for?"

I know that the series was left without a conclusion, but the fact that the Light never really got their commupance will always bug me.

On the topic of the QA, I'm the kind of person who would ask silly meta questions like "what questions will you ultimately never give us a decisive answer for?"
You can't out prep Vandal Savage and Lex Luthor.

Veelk

Banned

"That one," they'll answer if they're hilarious dicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom