• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daemul

Fuck that Q&A if all it's going to be is some vanilla nonsense. You can accurately guess what questions Bryke are going to get and what their responses to them will be.

AIn't nobody got time for that predictable shit.

Veelk

Banned
Fuck that Q&A if all it's going to be is some vanilla nonsense. You can accurately guess what questions Bryke are going to get and what their responses to them will be.

AIn't nobody got time for that predictable shit.

You need to establish a certain dynamic with the panelist. A Q & A is a kind of dialogue, and it is dependant on the questioner as much as the answerer. You have too make the panelist want to answer your stuff. So ask the right questions, you'll get good answers.

That's just not going to work if you attack the dude, anymore than opening an argument with "Yo, fuck you, cocksucker" is going to convince the listener. People don't respond well to blatant aggression like that, not the target, and not anyone watching.

Well, first off, I wasn't asking the consistency questions, it was the dude in front. My question was of worldbuilding. Second, that's a bs answer and you know it. Every writer should care about the story they're writing. And all stories have their potential. There is no story on earth that couldn't be made good in the right hands. Personally, I think GoW2 had something interesting going on, but the new writer they got messed that up, so we're left with what we're left with. But I don't care what your a writer for, the fact that you are a writer means you should have shit together.
Yeah I'm not disagreeing, I just find it funny, but yeah the writer should fucking care, not just pull some shit out of their ass.

Daemul

You need to establish a certain dynamic with the panelist. A Q & A is a kind of dialogue, and it is dependant on the questioner as much as the answerer. You have too make the panelist want to answer your stuff. So ask the right questions, you'll get good answers.

That's just not going to work if you attack the dude, anymore than if you try to open argument with "Yo, fuck you, cocksucker". People don't respond well to blatant aggression like that, not the target, and not anyone watching.

Oh, I could probably butter them up a bit and get them to open up, but in a public Q&A with limited time, that's just not going to happen. Since being hyper aggressive is out of the question, you aren't going to get anything good from public Q&A's, unless the person answering the questions has already decided beforehand that they are going to spill the beans on parts of writing or development process, which doesn't happen often.

Jaded, how many times are you going to change your avi in a span of a week?
I make these things when I'm bored now. I was honestly just fucking about on Photoshop but forgot I have most of my main ones on my work computer. I'll change to something else tomorrow most likely, but which one I do not know.

Veelk

Banned
Oh, I could probably butter them up a bit and get them to open up, but in a public Q&A with limited time, that's just not going to happen. Since being hyper aggressive is out of the picture, you aren't going to get anything good from public Q&A's, unless the person answering the questions had already decided beforehand that they were going to spill the beans on parts of writing or development process, which doesn't happen often.

It's not a matter of buttering them up, it's....like, just remember that they're people, dude. Treat them as such and you'll get somewhere.

You can get something useful if you want, you just need to phrase it right. Like, what is it you specifically want to ask? Lets take Kuvira for example. You don't find her going over the edge was a believable development in the show. Okay, so you ask "What was the exact thing or moment that made Kuvira decide to do what she was going to do? Did she debate it long, or have doubts after she did it?"

With this, while you are addressing the poor characterization of her betrayal, you are also throwing the writer some lifelines in which to save themselves. This lets them engage with a weakness of the show without feeling accused. At this point, they're most likely going to go "Oh, yeah, totally, in fact..." and then he goes off to describe Kuvira's mind process. Even if it's on the spot, this is added characterization, and it's simple enough that it likely won't contradict anything.

But if you are looking to just humiliate the guys, yeah, you're on your own there.

I'm trying to make one using one of the Laundryverse sketches, but it don't look right.

Then go Nikkipet if that doesn't work.

More of the waifu-bae

tumblr_nlfd81mAUp1u9gtdto1_540.jpg

captaingeneralgeekery

and the other waifu-bae

iahfy

Toa TAK

Banned
You can get something useful if you want, you just need to phrase it right. Like, what is it you specifically want to ask? Lets take Kuvira for example. You don't find her going over the edge was a believable development in the show. Okay, so you ask "What was the exact thing or moment that made Kuvira decide to do what she was going to do? Did she debate it long, or have doubts after she did it?"
Had to go to class but I'm back and read through everyone's posts. I definitely wanted to take this route. Of course I don't want to go there and rant or be awkward (like damn, you guys give me no credit lol) or anything like that. I'm pumped to just be in the same room as these dudes, but I'm seriously wondering about that leap in logic from "concentration camps" to "I just wanted to protect mah peeps." Albeit, better worded.

I know that the Q&A is probably going to be sanitized, so-to-speak, but I guess this is my only chance to ask. It's either this or ask about soundtrack release (which I highly doubt they have a part of at this point) or who would have the baby? (Nah, I wouldn't ask that one. Maybe. I'll be worn out from work you know.)
Fantastic.

Bruh!!! Again?!
I made like 4 while I was at home. I did a decent job of one of the laundryverse sketches, cleans up well when it's smaller. I probably need and intervention at this point. I ran the same 2? avatars for most of my duration, now I'm addicted to the switching because I made them myself it seems like. It's a fun distraction.

Anyway, some guy in the OT thread said the Korra characters are better than the Gaang cast.

All of my wat. Mako and Bolin are better characters than Katara and Sokka, this just in.
I can see if someone wanted to put Bolin and Korra up there, but that's about it. If you're going to put them above any character in the Gaang, I'd say Toph, but that's just me.
Had to go to class but I'm back and read through everyone's posts. I definitely wanted to take this route. Of course I don't want to go there and rant or be awkward (like damn, you guys give me no credit lol) or anything like that. I'm pumped to just be in the same room as these dudes, but I'm seriously wondering about that leap in logic from "concentration camps" to "I just wanted to protect mah peeps." Albeit, better worded.

I know that the Q&A is probably going to be sanitized, so-to-speak, but I guess this is my only chance to ask. It's either this or ask about soundtrack release (which I highly doubt they have a part of at this point) or who would have the baby? (Nah, I wouldn't ask that one. Maybe. I'll be worn out from work you know.)

Fantastic.
Well fuck dude I don't know you. I've seen some shit, alright. I've seen a lot of incredibly awkward people at panels, so my advice is essentially don't be those people.

wow.... anyhoo

remember when we were talking about how I didn't like reading AUs until LaundryVerse.... I changed my mind

writing them is fun as hell
That's cool. They AU's do free up a lot of creativity and you just get to have the girls running around having fun, not even bending or fighting. Though Kuvira and Korra fighting in a bar and winning would be some hilarious shit.

That's cool. They AU's do free up a lot of creativity and you just get to have the girls running around having fun, not even bending or fighting. Though Kuvira and Korra fighting in a bar and winning would be some hilarious shit.

Yea... that's the big thing, you're just taking characters from their world and putting them in yours where you make the rules. The one I wrote on AO3 was my single longest chapter out of all of them I did just because I can be creative and not worry about the technicals.

I didn't think people would like mine because it's "urban" music based and that doesn't mesh well.... on top of that there's literally nothing else like it out there. But 600 hits and a lot of nice mail in my inbox telling me that I should make it more than a one-shot tells me otherwise

I just guess I might continue writing in this "verse" just due to people that don't really feel represented in similar fics wanting to read more that suits their tastes.

Yea... that's the big thing, you're just taking characters from their world and putting them in yours where you make the rules. The one I wrote on AO3 was my single longest chapter out of all of them I did just because I can be creative and not worry about the technicals.

I didn't think people would like mine because it's "urban" music based and that doesn't mesh well.... on top of that there's literally nothing else like it out there. But 600 hits and a lot of nice mail in my inbox telling me that I should make it more than a one-shot tells me otherwise

I just guess I might continue writing in this "verse" just due to people that don't really feel represented in similar fics wanting to read more that suits their tastes.
That and somebody threatened to stab you because Korra doesn't love Asami enough in the in show universe stuff. Yo, two paragraphs in and Kuvira is straight fucking gangsta, lol!!!

For the QA thing its hard to get want you want since you will either come off as a huge asshole (and they seem like victims) or too invested (you get weird looks and they try to quickly move on) or they dodge your question with PR horseshit.

so might as well ask softball stuff i guess *shrug*

Daemul

If you want deep and insightful information about the LoK writing process you aren't gonna get it at a Q&A, unless Bryke decide beforehand to spills some beans during the session. Don't expect to go there and get more than some photos taken with them and a couple of autographs, because expecting anything else is folly.

Veelk

Banned
God, Daemul, it's like you never manipulated a social scenerio or rigged a conversation to elicite a desired response in your life

Daemul

God, Daemul, it's like you never manipulated a social scenerio or rigged a conversation to elicite a desired response in your life

Aint-Nobody-Got-Time-for-That.gif

If I cared enough I would go that path, but nope, I ain't got time for all that subtlety. It's all or nothing.

It's not like it matters much anyway, what's done is done, time to move on to the next badly written show :p

Aint-Nobody-Got-Time-for-That.gif

If I cared enough I would go that path, but nope, I ain't got time for all that subtlety. It's all or nothing.

It's not like it matters much anyway, what's done is done, time to move on to the next badly written show :p
That's what I did. I just found some other animated stuff to watch after Korra. It was Young Justice I think. Eased the pain fine, then it ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom