• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ochi

Neo Member
So about Republic City. We know it was built on Earth Kingdom land. I think I recall the Earth Queen giving a shit about it. I don't recall ANY OTHER Earth Kingdom citizen giving a shit about it though. Like, using real life as an example, the Treaty of Versailles was a sticking point for the German population at large. Everybody felt bitter about it which of course made it easier for people like Hitler to gain power. How did Kuvira convince her troops or the Earth Kingdom at large that it was a good idea to take over Republic City? They did just 'cause reasons?

The anti republic city thing is something mostly echoed by the earth queen but the perception of losing territory existed in the comics where the various former fire nation colonies that seem to form much of republic city come under modest siege as the earth kingdom and fire nation almost go to war.

Yeah there were a lot of moments like that where there could've been alternative plans that would've worked better but not been as epic. For example Bolin lava bent the ground beneath the one foot relatively easy. There was more than enough time for Bolin to have lava bent underneath the other foot as well. One thing they really under utilized was the potential of Bolin's lavabending. There were multiple fights where I was wondering why he didn't just lavabend this season.

I co-sign this post. Very well written

Lavabending does seem weirdly broken, doesn't it? And think about it: Ghazan was even better.

Also, thanks.

Afrocious

I'll never see TLoK as garbage or terrible. I honestly think those terms are vastly wasted on this series. I mean, I've seen some garbage sequel series (Black Butler 2 is a sin against everything), but I don't think this is one of them. I don't think the ending is its saving grace (although it is heartwarming and beautiful, for me anyway), but I think it's an important moment. I think what is important is the fact that TLoK (and I've said this before) and ATLA were two series of vastly different tones and structure. To say TLoK is a step down could be accurate to a degree, but I always saw it as more of a step sideways.

I think at its worst, one could say it's decent. I think at it's best, one could say it's good. It's an action series that delivers on that very thing. As I've said before, there is always going to be aspects we all want done better, and I've said mine numerous times. I've also stated that there are better animated series devoted to action. They've been mentioned several times (very happy about the Young Justice push), but to say TLoK is one that is a waste of time, or a garbage action series that isn't worth watching? I have to vehemently disagree. If you are looking for an action series, this does deliver on it. Maybe not as much on romance or characters or world-building, but it has plot and action, and doesn't promise to deliver anything more than that.

I'm pretty okay with what we got. I wish we could have gotten better, but as it stands I'm alright with it as is.

As a whole, yeah, I don't think LoK is a show that wasted my time. However, I think it tried to at some points, mainly with the majority of scenes Bolin had pre-lavabending and any scene that had Meelo breathing out of his ass.

MEELO.jpg

This motherfucker tried so hard to ruin a good show. He was so fucking awful, I wonder if Bryke had him in as an allusion to Nickelodeon itself with how wishy-washy they were about when and where Korra should be viewed and how many episodes a season should have. Look at him, he even looks like an anime Tommy Pickles, the stinky fuck.

They weren't even good fart jokes either. Take it from me when I say that if you can't deliver a good fart joke, then you're better off not having one at all. That was his fucking theme. You take him away, and perhaps his unremarkable middle sister, and you're left with Jinora who may as well have been an only child considering how useful any of them were ultimately.

I can't even recall the humor being as bad in the show as when he was on the screen, and I'm including anytime Bolin was drawn specifically to say something inane.

LupusWarrior

Neo Member
Hey everyone :) glad a thread is still kicking around. I'm fairly new to gaf so how come the other thread closed? Also i laugh at all the people who doubted Korrasami during the finale.

P.s. is that a real pic of toa tak?

Hey everyone :) glad a thread is still kicking around. I'm fairly new to gaf so how come the other thread closed? Also i laugh at all the people who doubted Korrasami during the finale.

I believe it is yes. I'm tempted to photoshop one his eyes with a scar because I think he kind of looks like Dev Patel to me for some reason.

Toa TAK

Banned

I believe it is yes. I'm tempted to photoshop one his eyes with a scar because I think he kind of looks like Dev Patel to me for some reason.

the real Zuko? ;)

Too bad I don't have his acting talent.

I guess college and work must suffice!

I'll never see TLoK as garbage or terrible. I honestly think those terms are vastly wasted on this series. I mean, I've seen some garbage sequel series (Black Butler 2 is a sin against everything), but I don't think this is one of them. I don't think the ending is its saving grace (although it is heartwarming and beautiful, for me anyway), but I think it's an important moment. I think what is important is the fact that TLoK (and I've said this before) and ATLA were two series of vastly different tones and structure. To say TLoK is a step down could be accurate to a degree, but I always saw it as more of a step sideways.

I think at its worst, one could say it's decent. I think at it's best, one could say it's good. It's an action series that delivers on that very thing. As I've said before, there is always going to be aspects we all want done better, and I've said mine numerous times. I've also stated that there are better animated series devoted to action. They've been mentioned several times (very happy about the Young Justice push), but to say TLoK is one that is a waste of time, or a garbage action series that isn't worth watching? I have to vehemently disagree. If you are looking for an action series, this does deliver on it. Maybe not as much on romance or characters or world-building, but it has plot and action, and doesn't promise to deliver anything more than that.

I'm pretty okay with what we got. I wish we could have gotten better, but as it stands I'm alright with it as is.

They don't call it hyperboleGAF for nothin.

At its worse I'd say Korra is entirely above average television. I'd watch the worst episodes of it over most of the other shit I see when I'm looking at some of the line ups these networks have.

Hamlet

Zuckerman needs to "leak" the Korra soundtracks if NIck won't put them up for purchase
As long as we get them I don't mind how. I'll always be baffled at Nicks decision over the soundtracks. They're selling really well and people want more of them, So Nick decides eh let's not bother releasing the rest of them.

You should reconsider.
tumblr_inline_ndlrnllBe01robdvo.png
Time to let it go.
tumblr_ngtgxeZ1EH1qcsd3co1_500.gif

Very much agree with this statement. I'd never call the show terrible maybe just a lot a lot of wasted opportunity at times. I still love this show despite all of it's issues/problems and I really do hope we'll be getting more avatar in the future.

Ochi

Neo Member
To begin, The Legend of Korra, at least to me, seemed to be more about Korra's personal journey.The villains existed only to highlight an injustice or as a plot device to expose something about Korra's character.

~snip

I applaud your thoughtful analysis, but respectfully must disagree to the efficacy of their execution on many of the points, even if the thought was there.

As long as we get them I don't mind how. I'll always be baffled at Nicks decision over the soundtracks. They're selling really well and people want more of them, So Nick decides eh let's not bother releasing the rest of them.

Time to let it go.
tumblr_ngtgxeZ1EH1qcsd3co1_500.gif

Very much agree with this statement. I'd never call the show terrible maybe just a lot a lot of wasted opportunity at times. I still love this show despite all of it's issues/problems and I really do hope we'll be getting more avatar in the future.

+1. I really loved 50% of Korra. Meaning Book 1 and Book 3.

Afrocious

They don't call it hyperboleGAF for nothin.

At its worse I'd say Korra is entirely above average television. I'd watch the worst episodes of it over most of the other shit I see when I'm looking at some of the line ups these networks have.

I think it's a testament to how starved we are for a good animated TV.

Again, it's a fucking shame these shows are being shafted. Nick ran a number on Korra, and I'm willing to believe the show would've been better quality if it didn't have as much interference from Nick.

However, I do think Bryke deserve some criticism though considering there are shows that have way less episodes to work with that have writing tighter than a knot.

This is where I reference True Detective and this is where everyone laughs at me for even bringing that up within this context.

I'm listening to Book 1's OST on Spotify.

I feel like the series lost it's roaring 20's vibe in later seasons. Maybe it's because the group was traveling more, maybe it's because of giant fucking robots, who knows why exactly, but I feel like that steampunky 20's vibe slipped away without me noticing :(

Toa TAK

Banned

I feel like the series lost it's roaring 20's vibe in later seasons. Maybe it's because the group was traveling more, maybe it's because of giant fucking robots, who knows why exactly, but I feel like that steampunky 20's vibe slipped away without me noticing :(

I felt the same way a bit, too.

Then Book 4 had the battle in the city where they were actively using BUILDINGS in a fight. That helped bring it back a bit, even if we were at the end.
tumblr_ngwuz6XkqM1ti9nr8o5_250.gif

The 20s aesthetic tripped the FUCK out of me when I first started watching. I was constantly distracted by the fact that they were using radios, car, and the like.

Hamlet

The last thread was closed because it reached 20,000 posts. From what I recall Gaf limits them at that size as some of the megathreads started causing issues for the servers or something.
So once a thread reaches 20,000 posts they lock it and then we move over to a new one.

I felt the same way a bit, too.

Then Book 4 had the battle in the city where they were actively using BUILDINGS in a fight. That helped bring it back a bit, even if we were at the end.
tumblr_ngwuz6XkqM1ti9nr8o5_250.gif

The 20s aesthetic tripped the FUCK out of me when I first started watching. I was constantly distracted by the fact that they were using radios, car, and the like.

the giant sci fi robot kind of detracts from that image, lol

Afrocious

If you want a steampunk 20's fix, check out Metropolis.

Try to put away what you remember about Fritz Lang's Metropolis and watch this. It's a good movie IMO. Really damn good animation considering it came out in 2001.

Metropolisanime_poster.jpg

Again, it's a fucking shame these shows are being shafted. Nick ran a number on Korra, and I'm willing to believe the show would've been better quality if it didn't have as much interference from Nick.

However, I do think Bryke deserve some criticism though considering there are shows that have way less episodes to work with that have writing tighter than a knot.

This is where I reference True Detective and this is where everyone laughs at me for even bringing that up within this context.
I was writing a lot more, but it was just me agreeing with everything by writing it again. You're right.

Korten

Banned
Still think we need to have 2 more avatar series...

Earth Avatar that is set in more modern times (something more akin to technology in 1990's - 2010's.)

Fire Avatar that is set in the strange world of the FUUuuuuuUUUtttttuuuurreeeeee! :D

The dream can't die. :(

Ochi

Neo Member
In retrospect, I like how Katara's in-universe excuse for not starting a relationship with Aang at any earlier point was because they were in the middle of a war. Then Korra comes along and they shoehorn love triangle garbage in the middle of a terrorism situation.

I'd just like to point out that love on the battlefield ended terribly for every character except Johnny and Merrill...

I don't disagree at all. When people put all of the blame on Nick, I don't really by into that totally. Yeah, Nick messed them up, but Fox messed up Arrested Development during the 2nd and especially 3rd season (from what I recall) and yet that show was still gold.

Afrocious

I'd just like to point out that love on the battlefield ended terribly for every character except Johnny and Merrill...

Please don't remind me of that nonsense. I knew Kojima didn't give a fuck by the time MGS4 was winding down, but that was too much.

Hm.. speaking of that loss 20's vibe. It kinda reminds me that Republic City didn't have much "character" to it as the central setting for the series. One of the criticisms of season 1 was the lack of exploration of the city and its culture/people, which I sorta blame the misplaced focus on pro-bending. When Republic City gets flip over and over again, I just don't care how it affects the city and its inhabitants.

Afrocious

I don't disagree at all. When people put all of the blame on Nick, I don't really by into that totally. Yeah, Nick messed them up, but Fox messed up Arrested Development during the 2nd and especially 3rd season (from what I recall) and yet that show was still gold.

Absolutely. Good point. Same with Young Justice even. Sure it ended on a cliffhanger but what the two seasons it got are worth, the writing is damn tight.

For anyone just getting into YJ because of this thread, I am so sorry for the pain you're going to feel after it's done.

Like seriously, if they do follow up on Legend of Korra, it better be about Mako and Bolin being comic book artists and him coming to grips with Korra and Asami being a thing.

It shall be called: Chasing Korra.

Hm.. speaking of that loss 20's vibe. It kinda reminds me that Republic City didn't have much "character" to it as the central setting for the series. One of the criticisms of season 1 was the lack of exploration of the city and its culture/people, which I sorta blame the misplaced focus on pro-bending. When Republic City gets flip over and over again, I just don't care how it affects the city and its inhabitants.

I would've preferred the first season looking at the mundane, more grounded side of Republic City. AKA, examining the politics (corrupt perhaps?), criminal activity, gangs, ordinary people. Not necessarily anything too apocalyptic. I guess we got a little bit of that with pro bending, but not too much.

I even enjoyed the romance episode with Bolin and Korra because we got to see that one noodle restaurant and the rest of their sight seeing. I found that kind of world building in that setting extremely intriguing.

Ochi

Neo Member
Like seriously, if they do follow up on Legend of Korra, it better be about Mako and Bolin being comic book artist and him coming to grips with Korra and Asami being a thing.

It shall be called: Chasing Korra.

And then Mako and Bolin follow them into the spirit portal to see what's going on only to start tripping balls, and Meelo becomes a main character and finally gets his tattoos for inventing the most powerful air bended fart.

Oh yeah and then Eska and Desna go visit Zuko... for reasons.

Afrocious

Can I get some recs for shows? I think all this discussion has helped me move past the show. I'm glad it's done. If I want more, I'll just look to whatever fans make since they treat the material better than Bryke did.

I know Young Justice has been mentioned, but I've seen and loved that.

I'll check out Jojo's Bizarre Adventures.

I recommended Metropolis to folks who want a steampunk flick that's decent.

Can I get some recs for shows? I think all this discussion has helped me move past the show. I'm glad it's done. If I want more, I'll just look to whatever fans make since they treat the material better than Bryke did.

Cowboy Bebop? Was a huge insperation for TLA and Korra's art and animation.

If you're looking for animated over the top action with some grit to it, may I recommend Hellsing Ultimate.

Soul Eater is probably a good substitute for TLoK. The ending is terrible though.

Also, I just realized, during the finale...WHERE WAS NAGA? LIKE, DAMN GIRL. WHERE YOU AT?

Afrocious

If you're looking for animated over the top action with some grit to it, may I recommend Hellsing Ultimate.

Soul Eater is probably a good substitute for TLoK. The ending is terrible though.

Also, I just realized, during the finale...WHERE WAS NAGA? LIKE, DAMN GIRL. WHERE YOU AT?

Hellsing Ultimate? Got it. I'll add that too my list. If it has a good ending, I'm down.

Also yeah wtf. Naga was in one clip at the end I think but that's about it. You'd think we'd at least have Naga running through the city carrying Korra. Like one last hurrah.

Another show I'd like to recommend that everyone and their mom has probably seen is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

It's very rare for me to see a show that has an idea of where it wants to go and get there. FMA:B does this. Granted, it's based nearly word for word from the original manga, but IMO it's the ideal way to get the story.

Hamlet

So beautiful. Jeremy deserves so much more recognition for what he has done. Dude deserves some awards.

palGYPG.gif

Naga was sitting behind Korra and Asami when they had the vacation speech.

Lethe82

Banned
I would've preferred the first season looking at the mundane, more grounded side of Republic City. AKA, examining the politics (corrupt perhaps?), criminal activity, gangs, ordinary people. Not necessarily anything too apocalyptic. I guess we got a little bit of that with pro bending, but not too much.

I even enjoyed the romance episode with Bolin and Korra because we got to see that one noodle restaurant and the rest of their sight seeing. I found that kind of world building in that setting extremely intriguing.

Well we did see Republic city in that light in season 1 though. The first episode has a lot of her just going around, before encountering gang members, the first season had a lot of criminality. Sure thye focused on pro bending a lot but it was through the lens of two characters who basically had nothing and only had a roof over their heads because they were fighting for free, basically. Sure they were benders, but I think the first season did a great job of showing off Republic city, from the low (gangs, police) side to major players like Asami and the President. We saw political corruption in the form of Amons brother Tarlokk for crying out loud.

I dunno, people said it didn't go far enough but they went pretty much as in depth (I feel) as they have ever gone with a place in TLA/TLoK except arguably for the Earth Kingdom, and I don't see the arguement that their depiction of Republic city was insubstancial in season 1, I was in awe and love with it. I wish we got MORE of Republic city, the equalists, seeing Mako working in a factory to barely make ends meet, going to some dingy resturant, that sort of thing, but alas everything about Republic city pretty much turned into Korra talking directly to the President after season 1.

I miss Naga in seasons after season 1, in a lot of ways Naga was complimentary to Korras strong cultural identity and heritage, and helped to show how she was in some ways a world apart from the 'modern' world both because of her remote place of birth and her upbringing placing her in a bubble. Even as she adapted to the new world, having Naga there would have strengthened her 'otherness' that the series so often tried to highlight while being oh so cool.

Ochi

Neo Member

Mitchoko to Hatchin (also sometimes done as Mitchiko and Hatchin)

It's also got Watanabe in it if you liked champloo and bebop, you'll probably like this. Plus it has a really unused setting in anime, South America

Well we did see Republic city in that light in season 1 though. The first episode has a lot of her just going around, before encountering gang members, the first season had a lot of criminality. Sure thye focused on pro bending a lot but it was through the lens of two characters who basically had nothing and only had a roof over their heads because they were fighting for free, basically. Sure they were benders, but I think the first season did a great job of showing off Republic city, from the low (gangs, police) side to major players like Asami and the President. We saw political corruption in the form of Amons brother Tarlokk for crying out loud.

I dunno, people said it didn't go far enough but they went pretty much as in depth (I feel) as they have ever gone with a place in TLA/TLoK except arguably for the Earth Kingdom, and I don't see the arguement that their depiction of Republic city was insubstancial in season 1, I was in awe and love with it. I wish we got MORE of Republic city, the equalists, seeing Mako working in a factory to barely make ends meet, going to some dingy resturant, that sort of thing, but alas everything about Republic city pretty much turned into Korra talking directly to the President after season 1.

I miss Naga in seasons after season 1, in a lot of ways Naga was complimentary to Korras strong cultural identity and heritage, and helped to show how she was in some ways a world apart from the 'modern' world. Even as she adapted having Naga there would have strengthened her 'otherness' that the series so often tried to highlight.

I suppose you're right. I guess to me the rest of the world didn't always have the roaring 20s feel, at least the water tribe/earth kingdom didn't.

SilentMatthew said:

tumblr_lqkmhmngBJ1qht847.gif

Hellsing Ultimate? Got it. I'll add that too my list. If it has a good ending, I'm down.

Also yeah wtf. Naga was in one clip at the end I think but that's about it. You'd think we'd at least have Naga running through the city carrying Korra. Like one last hurrah.

Another show I'd like to recommend that everyone and their mom has probably seen is Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

It's very rare for me to see a show that has an idea of where it wants to go and get there. FMA:B does this. Granted, it's based nearly word for word from the original manga, but IMO it's the ideal way to get the story.

I mean, it's Hellsing Ultimate. It has a good ending. I promise.

tumblr_mrie0ieh1Z1ruayexo3_r1_400.gif

tumblr_mekwcsmcaO1rfx24fo1_500.gif

tumblr_mo1hs5taMN1s76756o1_500.gif

alexander-anderson-o.gif

tumblr_inline_mxggifz0ef1r6xu0h.gif

tumblr_mf19pzvCOc1rk5ku4o1_500.gif

Lethe82

Banned
I suppose you're right. I guess to me the rest of the world didn't always have the roaring 20s feel, at least the water tribe/earth kingdom didn't.

Agree completely. The show got a little more The Last Air Bender as it went on, just with more adult character designs, locomotion, and wing suits. It was odd because even Republic City became less and less Roaring 20's throughout season's 2-4. I wish that the world in general had tried to maintain the style of Republic city, if only slightly more so. I understand that Republic City was meant to be the great melting pot, the sharing of ideas and innovations of all the great elemental empires following the great war and Zuko opening up the Fire Nation, but the rest of the world didn't seem to share in that innovation too much (well I guess the earth Kingdom got trains!) but most of it seemed down the Varrick who was a cultural import where ever he went. It was nice to see him because he if ever so slightly reminded you of Republic City and the kind of style it had.

So yeah, I am completely on board with people saying that they wanted more of the gritty, small lens, Republic City. It seemed like such a fascinating place, and I frequently argued in defense of Korra season 1 being that being 'small' wasn't a bd thing. If anything the sudden climax with the entire world (wasn't it?) in the balance felt artificial and jarring in contrast to the rest of the season.

FMA:B is one of the GOAT

Kasumin

My thoughts exactly on this series. I see the words "crap" or garbage" get thrown around to describe things that are decent or good a lot on the internet. I enjoyed Korra for what it was, and compared to a lot of the animated shows on TV, I find it pretty enjoyable. I wish it could've been better, but I'm satisfied with what we got.

My thoughts exactly on this series. I see the words "crap" or garbage" get thrown around to describe things that are decent or good a lot on the internet. I enjoyed Korra for what it was, and compared to a lot of the animated shows on TV, I find it pretty enjoyable. I wish it could've been better, but I'm satisfied with what we got.

Agreed. I will criticize it to hell and back for it's flaws but I've enjoyed it nonetheless.

Neo Dark

I want somebody to photoshop the poster to Chasing Amy with Korra characters.

Man.. finding images for Bolin was hard... In the end, I decided to just use this one and you gotta deal with it!

Kind of how I feel at the moment. Now I'm hoping for comics that can take things further and hopefully make it better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom