• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll say this. Even the most poorly handled relationship in AtLA or LoK was better handled and more set up than the best handled relationship in Naruto's younger generation (aside from Shikamaru and Temari).

They had 15 years to develop Hinata's relationship with Naruto and barely did anything, such terribleness.

Because we actually try to hold an intelligent discussion about what did and did not worked on this series instead of being "Omg lesbians and implied terrorism and anachism and this series is the best kids' TV show ever!"? if you don't want in, the door's over there.
Why do people say Amon was implied terrorism? It seemed to me like he was implied as a revolutionist obsessed with inequality. I personally thought they took pages out of Marxism and the Russian revolution for his character.

Trey

Every time.

jamesbrownwow-gif.61

Trey

I would be able to take just about anything they could possibly put up onscreen if that song was playing in the background.

Zuckerman should get fame and fortune for his work on Korra.

Toa TAK

Banned
Carlton was a great character.
Everyone on that show was good, though.
Have faith. From his twitter this past week, Jeremy said he's been really pushing Nick with his best men at getting them eventually released.
I saw, but I've been hurt too much by this show. It's like I'm stuck in an abusive relationship.
I would be able to take just about anything they could possibly put up onscreen if that song was playing in the background.

Zuckerman should get fame and fortune for his work on Korra.

Zuckerman has been denied a lot of proper attention for his work on both shows. =( The soundtrack release needs more fanfare around it to get more people's attention, I feel.

Afrocious

You gonna do another essay on how shitty Book 2 was? Because I honestly loved reading what you just wrote, funny and true.

I would if I could remember anything of value about the events of Book 2 to say anything about it.

Seriously, all I remember is some lame romance nonsense, the good parts being the Wan episodes, Bolin being a waste of time, and Mako being a detective.

I forget if Asami was in Book 2 prior to her kissing Mako.

But for real, what happened in Book 2? Like, I literally remember a whole lot of Not Shit happening in a sequential order to allow for harmonic convergence to happen, allowing people to go into the spirit world and spirits coming out.

Book 2 was literally one of Meelo's farts in the wind

You know what, after thinking about it some more, I can see how folks can be legit upset about the ending.

Hmm. Given the fact you had scenes where Meelo existed to fart or Prince Wu had to sing, you'd think we could've gotten more scenes with Korra and Asami doing things that would imply further that one cared about the other.

While there were signs of them getting closer, the payout we get at the ending felt more like a footnote upon everything we got as opposed to something that grew out of what the characters were experiencing. We got a slight bit of that good stuff in end of Book 3 and beginning of Book 4, but there was no follow up to it aside from Asami giving Korra some tea.

However, I think this is secondary to the fact we ended up with a same sex relationship at the end.

Now, I don't have any ground to stand on, but was this ending worth it ultimately? I say it was considering representation of a minority is necessary.

I just wish it could be done better.

Well I'm glad you see where we're coming from now.

I guess your ultimate take away from it depends on your own beliefs. Personally, I'm all for LGBT representation in things, that's great, but for me writing comes first and I feel like it's more of a disservice to give it a break from critism just because you agree with the result/message/statement/whatever you want to call it. But I can understand the excitement of getting such a rare treat in this medium and being able to forgive it's flaws for that reason.

I would if I could remember anything of value about the events of Book 2 to say anything about it.

Seriously, all I remember is some lame romance nonsense, the good parts being the Wan episodes, Bolin being a waste of time, and Mako being a detective.

I forget if Asami was in Book 2 prior to her kissing Mako.

There are only four positives out of Book 2: Wan, Varrick(and his scenes with Bolin), seeing spirit Iroh and the spirit portals opening.

Popnbake

I've read that they were working on Book 3 and 4 at the same time but they feel so different from each other.

Going from the Book 3 villains and their plans to Book 4 Kuvira was a bit of a letdown now that everything is finished.

They had 15 years to develop Hinata's relationship with Naruto and barely did anything, such terribleness.

To be fair the author did portray Hinata as the girl that always had Naruto's back throughout Part 1 and 2. Similar to Sakura loving Sasuke without the psychotic abuse.

So I can believe their relationship happening as Naruto finally coming to his senses late in the game.

Neo Dark

Hmm.. Just realized that the first two books involved the main villain being killed off and the last 2 involved them being put in prison. That must be the reason why it's called balance.
I'm really just joking but if that really is their reason.. it's pretty dumb

Anyways, did I miss some explanation on why they had to exactly go into the mech to destroy it instead of just metal bending from the outside?

And yes I just slapped Korrasami on my avatar.
Here's a quick avatar for anyone that wants it
pXAbRk3.png

Omikaru

This makes me feel all good inside. I'm pleasantly surprised it was planned so far in advance.

asami is so iconic, the fumes she incites

i feel like my book 1 self again

i told yall to get into Goddessami, her seduction techniques 2 years ago but yall didnt listen.

inshallah
Hey now, I've been riding that Goddessami train since Book 1. Though not as enthusiastically as you, I feel. :p

corn_fest

But for real, what happened in Book 2? Like, I literally remember a whole lot of Not Shit happening in a sequential order to allow for harmonic convergence to happen, allowing people to go into the spirit world and spirits coming out.

An "all-out civil war" that lasted for 4 episodes and of which we never saw a single battle, iirc.

Gsj1wLW.gif

While we're still on the music, I love it here.
I'll usually try to defend book 2 because I really don't think it's as bad as people say (don't get me wrong here, it is the worst season by far), but I remeber watching this fight and I was like "Aw hell yea!... Wait, what?"

It got me pretty hype, but what a weird-ass concept for a fight in Avatar.

Don't forget the music. It's easily one of the best things about Book 2. Also I quite liked the extra time we got with Bumi and Kya in that book.

tumblr_n7pp8h6OKM1swm9afo1_500.gif

The music department always did a great job with all of Avatar, imo, so I suppose it goes without saying.

I liked the time they spent with Bumi and Kya but didn't utilize it well and used it on ikki running off and Tenzin, Bumi and Kya bickering about dad issues. I thought their smaller roles in S3 while brief were much better utilized.

Hmm.. Just realized that the first two books involved the main villain being killed off and the last 2 involved them being put in prison. That must be the reason why it's called balance.
I'm really just joking but if that really is their reason.. it's pretty dumb

Anyways, did I miss some explanation on why they had to exactly go into the mech to destroy it instead of just metal bending from the outside?

And yes I just slapped Korrasami on my avatar.
Here's a quick avatar for anyone that wants it
pXAbRk3.png
the reason they didn't metal bend from the outside was because it was platinum. They needed a plasma saw which is probably hotter than something a fire bender could produce.
I'll usually try to defend book 2 because I really don't think it's as bad as people say (don't get me wrong here, it is the worst season by far), but I remeber watching this fight and I was like "Aw hell yea!... Wait, what?"

It got me pretty hype, but what a weird-ass concept for a fight in Avatar.
Truthfully I don't think S2 is as bad as people make it out to be as well. I would've bought the whole Unavaatu vs. Spirit Korra thing until the whole Jinora, queen of the fairies, thing happened.

Kangi

I'm less inclined to ask, "What happened with season two?" and more inclined to ask, "What happened with season three?" It was like we suddenly stepped into a world where this actually felt like a successor to A:TLA. Something about the pacing and structure and giving things time to breathe made it so much more enjoyable. I don't need every single episode to be "bad guys doing bad things, good guys angsting over bad things" and the third season actually got that.

Neo Dark

This makes me feel all good inside. I'm pleasantly surprised it was planned so far in advance.

Hey now, I've been riding that Goddessami train since Book 1. Though not as enthusiastically as you, I feel. :p

I watched The Legend of Korra... for the Legend of Asami. Thinking it that way... the legend started off pretty bad *cough* Mako cough* and then ended on a high note.

the reason they didn't metal bend from the outside was because it was platinum. They needed a plasma saw which is probably hotter than something a fire bender could produce.

Yeah I know that but was there ever any other reason? Because that's a pretty bad reason imo. You're not bending the platinum.. you're aiming for the metal itself inside. Kind of like skipping the body when blood bending and aiming for the blood itself. Or if that was a valid excuse... couldn't they just go to the top where Kuvira was and where she was METAL BENDING the mech to control it.

Idk... I just feel that cutting through the platinum was just done to be more epic but doesn't really seem to be essential since there should have been other weak spots for metal bending.

So that's why I'm asking. Was there some magical reason that I missed where they couldn't have done any of this? (Besides the fact then they wouldn't have a reason to kill off Hiroshi)

I'll never see TLoK as garbage or terrible. I honestly think those terms are vastly wasted on this series. I mean, I've seen some garbage sequel series (Black Butler 2 is a sin against everything), but I don't think this is one of them. I don't think the ending is its saving grace (although it is heartwarming and beautiful, for me anyway), but I think it's an important moment. I think what is important is the fact that TLoK (and I've said this before) and ATLA were two series of vastly different tones and structure. To say TLoK is a step down could be accurate to a degree, but I always saw it as more of a step sideways.

I think at its worst, one could say it's decent. I think at it's best, one could say it's good. It's an action series that delivers on that very thing. As I've said before, there is always going to be aspects we all want done better, and I've said mine numerous times. I've also stated that there are better animated series devoted to action. They've been mentioned several times (very happy about the Young Justice push), but to say TLoK is one that is a waste of time, or a garbage action series that isn't worth watching? I have to vehemently disagree. If you are looking for an action series, this does deliver on it. Maybe not as much on romance or characters or world-building, but it has plot and action, and doesn't promise to deliver anything more than that.

I'm pretty okay with what we got. I wish we could have gotten better, but as it stands I'm alright with it as is.

Hamlet

The music department always did a great job with all of Avatar, imo, so I suppose it goes without saying.

I liked the time they spent with Bumi and Kya but didn't utilize it well and used it on ikki running off and Tenzin, Bumi and Kya bickering about dad issues. I thought their smaller roles in S3 while brief were much better utilized.

Haha yeah I remember that meandering for a bit with the whole Ikki going missing plot. They did end up bonding in the end though and they gave us some really nice scenes such as Bumi talking to Aang's statue at the air temple. Plus Bumi talking out Unalaq's camp in episode 12 is still one of my favourite scenes from that Book.
But yeah I'd agree that they utilized Bumi quite well in Book 3 with his whole getting airbending plot.

I watched The Legend of Korra... for the Legend of Asami. Thinking it that way... the legend started off pretty bad *cough* Mako cough* and then ended on a high note.

Yeah I know that but was there ever any other reason? Because that's a pretty bad reason imo. You're not bending the platinum.. you're aiming for the metal itself inside. Kind of like skipping the body when blood bending and aiming for the blood itself. Or if that was a valid excuse... couldn't they just go to the top where Kuvira was and where she was METAL BENDING the mech to control it.

Idk... I just feel that cutting through the platinum was just done to be more epic but doesn't really seem to be essential since there should have been other weak spots for metal bending.

So that's why I'm asking. Was there some magical reason that I missed where they couldn't have done any of this? (Besides the fact then they wouldn't have a reason to kill off Hiroshi)
Yeah there were a lot of moments like that where there could've been alternative plans that would've worked better but not been as epic. For example Bolin lava bent the ground beneath the one foot relatively easy. There was more than enough time for Bolin to have lava bent underneath the other foot as well. One thing they really under utilized was the potential of Bolin's lavabending. There were multiple fights where I was wondering why he didn't just lavabend this season.

I'll never see TLoK as garbage or terrible. I honestly think those terms are vastly wasted on this series. I mean, I've seen some garbage sequel series (Black Butler 2 is a sin against everything), but I don't think this is one of them. I don't think the ending is its saving grace (although it is heartwarming and beautiful, for me anyway), but I think it's an important moment. I think what is important is the fact that TLoK (and I've said this before) and ATLA were two series of vastly different tones and structure. To say TLoK is a step down could be accurate to a degree, but I always saw it as more of a step sideways.

I think at its worst, one could say it's decent. I think at it's best, one could say it's good. It's an action series that delivers on that very thing. As I've said before, there is always going to be aspects we all want done better, and I've said mine numerous times. I've also stated that there are better animated series devoted to action. They've been mentioned several times (very happy about the Young Justice push), but to say TLoK is one that is a waste of time, or a garbage action series that isn't worth watching? I have to vehemently disagree. If you are looking for an action series, this does deliver on it. Maybe not as much on romance or characters or world-building, but it has plot and action, and doesn't promise to deliver anything more than that.

I'm pretty okay with what we got. I wish we could have gotten better, but as it stands I'm alright with it as is.
I co-sign this post. Very well written

Neo Dark

Yeah there were a lot of moments like that where there could've been alternative plans that would've worked better but not been as epic. For example Bolin lava bent the ground beneath the one foot relatively easy. There was more than enough time for Bolin to have lava bent underneath the other foot as well. One thing they really under utilized was the potential of Bolin's lavabending. There were multiple fights where I was wondering why he didn't just lavabend this season.

Oh yeah. I thought of that the other night too. I was like, wait... didn't Bolin lava bend a while back.. can't we just sink the mech a good chunk other. True it would have been a less epic fight though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom