• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yes, Korra and Asami had more chemistry then Katara and Aang. No doubt. But Korrasami still wasn't as important in the plot (in terms of the set up), therefore should not have been the shows ending.

korra and asami is not as important to the plot as katara and aang. however, id argue that in terms of connecting to the themes of the show korra and asami ending is much more important. it definitely fits korra's coming of age adventures.

Kinvara

To be fair, the final left such a little impact on us the only thing we can talk about is shipping.

I'm starting to think if it would have been better if they animated the Comics as short 13-14 EP seasons and made Korra the Comicbook.

Eh, the comics are alright but they're definitely less climactic than what we've seen in A:TLA/TLOK.

Kinvara

Which I would argue fits perfectly for a 13 EP season. Though they probably would have to add more action scenes over all to them.

eeeeehhh, the climax of the search is literally
Zuko and Azula fight in a house then a giant spirit shows up

That doesn't make for exciting animation.

Goodstyle

The problem is their overall relationship in the Series from Book 1 to 2 and then to 3. Asami herself, should not have wanted to be friends with the group after Book 1's incident.

Very good points, but this part especially is what I agree with the most. It is a little weird that she'd even want to hang out with those guys after that.

Afrocious

So I feel I'm torn between two camps of worshipping Bryke for what they've done, and laughing my way to the bank at all my friends and some of you users who actually think this show has more redeemable qualities than irredeemable ones.

Jesus this show sucked worse than a Hoover vacuum in the first two books. The gravity of how poorly written Book 1's plot was cannot be understated. In fact, I feel it was the promise of having a successor to A:TLA that made it that much worse. Yes, the animation was gorgeous, the music? Lovely! But we're introduced to our cast of characters alongside teenage romance that we were accustomed to back with the Gaang.

But so early though. What the fuck Korra? I know you had no idea what a dick was at the time, but Jesus what about our plot with the Equalists? We could've had less probending and you fantasizing about Mako's sweaty musculature because I'll be damned if Mako had a personality beyond swimming in vagina with a scowl.

tumblr_inline_ndw76gmj9N1rlfvce.jpg

The only redeemable thing about him back in Book 1: He had (and still has) batarangs for eyebrows.

There were some points in Book 1 where the actual plot was given a back seat to whatever bullshit we had to watch between Korra, Mako, and Asami. I don't remember what Bolin did. In fact, I don't remember anything Bolin did as a character that had any sort of agency upon the plot if either Book 1 or 2, so feel free to remind me and school me on his actions.

So here we are with our new Team Avatar (where did they get the name anyway? I believe Sokka came up with the term for the Gaang. I don't see how this new generation learned about it). Asami has her plot going with her father building tech for the Equalists, and this is probably the only time she has an actual character along with actual significance with the unfolding story. Folks figured she'd betray Korra, but to follow up with that would require better writing than what we were getting (and arguably what we got ultimately).

I remember getting physically angry when characters began saying they loved each other. Some of my friends chalked it up to them being kids, whereas I chalked it up to them being idiots focusing on some insignificant shit when there was this guy running around creating an uprising and seemingly having the ability to spirit-bend. So many good concepts and interesting thoughts were introduced within Book 1 that allowed the question of whether or not benders really did have power over non-benders as a whole. Social issues that bring up the idea of privilege within fiction? Awesome.

But hell if that was shot down. Instead, we're force fed a backstory by an imprisoned Tarlok because, you know, we spent the whole time watching teenagers bullshit around as opposed to getting things done. Some people dig the whole bloodbender revelation. I'm not in that camp - I thought it was a shoddy piece of retconning with the only explanation being that some folks are special, and the example presented was to look at metalbending. I found that to be bullshit because bloodbending was its own special thing way back in A:TLA, along with metalbending back then. However, metalbending was taught in schools by Toph, which gave way to the Republic City police force squads, Zaofu, and the Earth Empire's metalbenders. Bloodbending wasn't given the time of day, and all we get is some OP criminal raising his OP kids.

So in the end, we get Korra suddenly getting Air Bending from nowhere, regardless of whatever explanation a fan can give that automatically assumes more than what was provided within the context of the show. Amon is a hack, commits suicide in what was a touching scene that I'm impressed was even in Book 1, Korra apparently hints at offing herself when she loses her powers (which could've spawned its own lovely dialogue in the show about how and why benders consider bending so important to them), and we get our Aang coming back to fix everything with a magic touch.

Our finale has Mako confess his love to Korra, and I'm throwing up wondering why this show was even made.

This set the precedent of Book 2 for me, and I thought Book 2 was worse than Book 1 by a country mile sans the second half of it.

Mononoke

Banned
korra and asami is not as important to the plot as katara and aang. however, id argue that in terms of connecting to the themes of the show korra and asami ending is much more important. it definitely fits korra's coming of age adventures.

How so?

Sorry to ask. I'm just curious. Because I kind of hated the ending and how they wrapped up Korra's plot. I thought it felt very clumsy. I didn't really feel a through line with her arc's. Like the resolution Korra landed on, tied with any specific arc. I thought her arc for Book 4 was very odd, and didn't really play out in a coherent manner.

And the end left me thinking the show had nothing much to say. So I'm really curious how you think Asami ties that all into together.

Katara and Aang ending the show made sense, because Bryke gave us a time to reflect with the entire group. We got that moment to spend one last time wit them, and say goodbye. We got that closure with the group (because in ATLA the relationships mattered more then TLOK, which chose to cut out the other people in the group from having that moment of reflection together as a group).

So not only did ATLA let us say goodbye and give us closure, but Katara and Aang's romance plot which had been established in Book 1, kind of brought their journey and our journey full circle. It brought it to an end. It was a sigh of relief, that now everything was over.

To me, it made perfect sense even if you didn't like them together. It didn't feel out of place at all.

Korrasami to me, didn't feel like an earned ending. Or rather, that it deserved to be the END itself. But I'm curious to see why you think so.

EDIT: For the record, my tone is not meant to be condescending. I am 100% curious and open minded.

Kangi

In retrospect, I like how Katara's in-universe excuse for not starting a relationship with Aang at any earlier point was because they were in the middle of a war. Then Korra comes along and they shoehorn love triangle garbage in the middle of a terrorism situation.

Crocodile

So about Republic City. We know it was built on Earth Kingdom land. I think I recall the Earth Queen giving a shit about it. I don't recall ANY OTHER Earth Kingdom citizen giving a shit about it though. Like, using real life as an example, the Treaty of Versailles was a sticking point for the German population at large. Everybody felt bitter about it which of course made it easier for people like Hitler to gain power. How did Kuvira convince her troops or the Earth Kingdom at large that it was a good idea to take over Republic City? They did just 'cause reasons?

I still don't like how 30 seconds gets more discussion than the previous 11 episodes, though yeah at least there are those bringing up the wasted potential. It's socially progressive while being a narrative regression at the same time.

Byrke and co are actually master writers. Make us (the fanbase at large) forget all criticisms about Season 4 (or the show as a whole) by ending on a, admittedly very sweet and cool, positive queer relationship note. It was their master plan all along and it worked like a charm :) :p

Mononoke

Banned
I still don't like how 30 seconds gets more discussion than the previous 11 episodes, though yeah at least there are those bringing up the wasted potential. It's socially progressive while being a narrative regression at the same time.

Lol well to be fair, there was nothing being said in the first 11 episodes. The season really didn't have much to say. THE ONLY thing that mattered was Korra's plot arc. And even that was handled poorly (and oddly).

It took a backseat many times to a half baked Kuvira plot (a plot that, they weren't interested in exploring at all beyond Kuvira being a power hungry psycho). Korra's plot was scattershot, oddly paced.

So sadly, we get a finale that really had NOTHING going for it plot wise. When you think about it, Korrasami is the only thing to talk about. Sad to say.

In retrospect, I like how Katara's in-universe excuse for not starting a relationship with Aang at any earlier point was because they were in the middle of a war. Then Korra comes along and they shoehorn love triangle garbage in the middle of a terrorism situation.

Qyflyoj.png

Trey

Byrke and co are actually master writers. Make us (the fanbase at large) forget all criticisms about Season 4 (or the show as a whole) by ending on a, admittedly very sweet and cool, positive queer relationship note. It was their master plan all along and it worked like a charm :) :p

The criticisms and analyses are imminent, I assure you.

Lol well to be fair, there was nothing being said in the first 11 episodes. The season really didn't have much to say. THE ONLY thing that mattered was Korra's plot arc. And even that was handled poorly (and oddly).

It took a backseat many times to a half baked Kuvira plot (a plot that, they weren't interested in exploring at all beyond Kuvira being a power hungry psycho). Korra's plot was scattershot, oddly paced.

So sadly, we get a finale that really had NOTHING going for it plot wise. When you think about it, Korrasami is the only thing to talk about. Sad to say.
That's a very sad reality. No wonder why I'm looking for other things to watch so I can take a break from the show. I don't even hate it, just went out like a chump. It made it's way to the title fight only to hit the floor after one punch.
Why not both?

Fate/Zero is first in the timeline though, it would kind of like watching Legend of Korra without ATLA.

With that said. Stay Night has far better choreographed fights than Zero does.
That's actually how I got into ATLA. I saw the first LOK season and I do believe the second one as well before I started ATLA it was a month or two before season 3 started.

Mononoke

Banned
That's a very sad reality. No wonder why I'm looking for other things to watch so I can take a break from the show. I don't even hate it, just went out like a chump. It made it's way to the title fight only to hit the floor after one punch.

I think Book 4 episode to episode is fine. Each episode is competent and enjoyable. But in terms of like an overall plot, it's really quite bad. And even worse, when it goes into the finale and it ends everything on such a dull/no plot/theme note.

360pages

That's actually how I got into ATLA. I saw the first LOK season and I do believe the second one as well before I started ATLA it was a month or two before season 3 started.

Both series are 24 EP a piece. Fate/Stay night is halfway finished.

Fate/Zero is complete though and you could marathon it, I'd recommend both series to everyone here honestly.

I think Book 4 episode to episode is fine. Each episode is competent and enjoyable. But in terms of like an overall plot, it's really quite bad. And even worse, when it goes into the finale and it ends everything on such a dull/no plot/theme note.

- Kuvira sacking Republic City because of reasons
- Korra and crew disable the robot by force and fighting, but apparently somehow Korra learned compassion because she talked to Kuvira (after Kuvira is already bested and beaten).
- Some BS about Kuvira witnessing the Avatar's power (what? Wasn't the avatar's power Amon's schtick? Wasn't Kuvira about reuniting the Earth Kingdom, not power?)
- Republic City is a crater and there's a new portal? No one seems to care about this.
- Bryke - "we don't really know how to tie up all the loose ends and end the show neatly, so how about some Korrasami?"

Shame, the season started out strong IMO

-Deimos

Back already?

Stand alone the episodes were fine, but from a thematic stand point the season didn't go together. At first you'd get a Kuvira ep, then a Korra ep till they fought the first time. After that They should've spliced in the parallels with each other a lot better instead of just info dumping it at the end. With reunion they should've just chopped out that sub plot with Wu because the show really didn't need more Wu. With Reunion it should've been about Korra reuniting with her friends and finding some sort of harmony while at the same time Kuvira reuniting with the Bei Fong family and allowing the audience to witness the true discord that Kuvira's actions created. The arguing, the differing of opinions, Bataar fighting for Kuvira against his family and a flashback showing what happened because the one you got in The Battle for Zaofu didn't really go into heavy detail about the whole situation. I'd like to see why Suyin would actively try to kill a woman she raised like a daughter...granted the Bei Fong gene isn't known for great parenting skills. I know I keep coming back to her actual narrative, but it's something that I see that really could've been executed better and not create the "Kuvira is shit" posts because she really had good potential. I went to college for writing and actually sort of have a degree in it so seeing a character I like getting short changed really does hurt me, even a bit personally I guess.

- Korra and crew disable the robot by force and fighting, but apparently somehow Korra learned compassion because she talked to Kuvira (after Kuvira is already bested and beaten).
- Some BS about Kuvira witnessing the Avatar's power (what? Wasn't the avatar's power Amon's schtick? Wasn't Kuvira about reuniting the Earth Kingdom, not power?)
- Republic City is a crater and there's a new portal? No one seems to care about this.
- Bryke - "we don't really know how to tie up all the loose ends and end the show neatly, so how about some Korrasami?"

The compassion thing was weird. Did her parents never teach her that? Did she not pick up any of that while interacting with Tenzin and his family?

There was the throw away line about "building Republic City" outward rather than rebuilding where the portal showed up. They didn't really bother to talk about the spirit vines in the first place, so I wasn't shocked they just waved it away. Honestly, Republic City has the Gotham "why the fuck do I want to live in this city when shit is always horrible" thing going on.

Afrocious

You know what, after thinking about it some more, I can see how folks can be legit upset about the ending.

Hmm. Given the fact you had scenes where Meelo existed to fart or Prince Wu had to sing, you'd think we could've gotten more scenes with Korra and Asami doing things that would imply further that one cared about the other.

While there were signs of them getting closer, the payout we get at the ending felt more like a footnote upon everything we got as opposed to something that grew out of what the characters were experiencing. We got a slight bit of that good stuff in end of Book 3 and beginning of Book 4, but there was no follow up to it aside from Asami giving Korra some tea.

However, I think this is secondary to the fact we ended up with a same sex relationship at the end.

Now, I don't have any ground to stand on, but was this ending worth it ultimately? I say it was considering representation of a minority is necessary.

I just wish it could be done better.

-Deimos

Welp Korrasami confirmed. But I doubt they had it planned since Book 1, that's bs. More like they noticed the all frothing-at-the-mouth Korrasami shippers after Book 3 and decided to work it into Book 4 (and failed).

edit: nvm Brian doesn't say it was planned since book 1, but he does admit it sucked. Honestly if you know you're not gonna have enough time to properly implement something, just don't do it. It would have been cool if they did a comic and had them get together by the end of it after exploring the spirit world together.

rexor0717

-Kuvira had already shown to want to reunite all of the Earth Empire, including the land that was lost to the United Republic.
-She saved Kuvira multiple times. Its more than talking.
-Korra took an overcharged blast from the cannon and was able to create a spirit portal. I think thats quite the power.
-It was evacuated, so there was little loss of life. They said they're rebuilding elsewhere.

Afrocious

Welp Korrasami confirmed. But I doubt they had it planned since Book 1, that's bs. More like they noticed the all frothing-at-the-mouth Korrasami shippers after Book 3 and decided to work it into Book 4 (and failed).

Read the posts from both articles if you have them up from both writers.

I do think, however, the pandering you're alluding to doesn't hold water because couldn't you argue that, for anything they chose to write about romance-wise, could be considered pandering? The only thing that couldn't be pandering IMO is if Bryke went with something so off the wall, like insisting Korra romance Bataar Jr or some nonsense.

How so?

Sorry to ask. I'm just curious. Because I kind of hated the ending and how they wrapped up Korra's plot. I thought it felt very clumsy. I didn't really feel a through line with her arc's. Like the resolution Korra landed on, tied with any specific arc. I thought her arc for Book 4 was very odd, and didn't really play out in a coherent manner.

And the end left me thinking the show had nothing much to say. So I'm really curious how you think Asami ties that all into together.

Katara and Aang ending the show made sense, because Bryke gave us a time to reflect with the entire group. We got that moment to spend one last time wit them, and say goodbye. We got that closure with the group (because in ATLA the relationships mattered more then TLOK, which chose to cut out the other people in the group from having that moment of reflection together as a group).

So not only did ATLA let us say goodbye and give us closure, but Katara and Aang's romance plot which had been established in Book 1, kind of brought their journey and our journey full circle. It brought it to an end. It was a sigh of relief, that now everything was over.

To me, it made perfect sense even if you didn't like them together. It didn't feel out of place at all.

Korrasami to me, didn't feel like an earned ending. Or rather, that it deserved to be the END itself. But I'm curious to see why you think so.

EDIT: For the record, my tone is not meant to be condescending. I am 100% curious and open minded.

To begin, The Legend of Korra, at least to me, seemed to be more about Korra's personal journey.The villains existed only to highlight an injustice or as a plot device to expose something about Korra's character.

Season 1: Amon highlights the lack of equality between non-benders and benders along with the toll benders have inflicted on non-benders. Amon and Tarlok exposed how naive, trusting, and brash she can be. She's overly confident and arrogant as well. Cracks show.

Season 2: Unalaq highlights the lack of spiritual balance even though he was full of it. Once again, Korra's willingness to trust gets her in trouble as well as her gung ho attitude. She ultimately triumphs and matures but she loses a large portion of her confidence.

Season 3: At this point, confidence has been traded for a need to prove ones self in the world. Zaheer seeks a more democratic state due to the corruption present in the monarchy. He ultimately ends up forcing Korra into a state where she has to fight her lack of confidence in self.

Between season 3 and season 4, given what scenes we had, we can assume Korra wrote to Asami about her lack of place in the world due to the loss of her avatar state. Asami most likely reassured her, but Korra is unsure of her place in the world.

Season 4: Kuvira fights to reunite the Earth kingdom after Zaheer's push. Korra starts off the season with pretty much all of her confidence gone. She has a gigantic mental block. However, Asami compliments Korra's hair and her beauty, and she blushes. This is important for two reasons. One, compliments due boost the ego/confidence. Two, it also shows Korra values those compliments from Asami. We see Korra struggle until Zaheer shows her it wasn't the metal or him that was blocking the avatar state. There's no way to cut off the avatar state. It was Korra's own lack of confidence that blocked off the Avatar state. The final victory with Kuvira ends with Korra realizing how much she and kuvira were alike which shows Korra had finally awoken to herself.

With regards to learning about one's self in a coming age of story, relationships and sexuality always play a part in that. So, Korra's primary journey was about balancing confidence, maturity, and trust to take on the enemy However, those same things apply to relationships as well. Korra had a huge amount of trust in Asami to confide in her. While she blushed from Asami's compliment, she didn't swoon immediately which is quite a bit different from how she reacted to Mako initially. You could say this is because Asami is a girl. However, you can also take it as sign of maturing on Korra's part. Korra more or less asking out Asami out at the end hammers home the last piece which is Korra's renewed confidence. It takes on another level when you consider they are both the same gender. Korra has matured enough to accept all aspects of her sexuality. Korra has trust that her family and friends would accept her. This actually makes Mako's loyalty comment important too. It acts as a signifier that he would accept her relationships. Finally, Korra has confidence enough that she can both be in a relationship and that Asami would reciprocate her feelings.

In the larger them of equality and justice, it's fairly obvious why Korra and Asami's relationship is important even if it is more of a commentary not on the state of the Avatarverse but our own universe.

Kinvara

Well, this is what I posted about my thoughts on Kuvira but no one responded to it:
Kuvira also was angry at Raiko and the other nations trying to take advantage of the Earth Kingdom's weakness. Raiko only wanted Prince Wu on the throne because Wu could be manipulated by Republic City. President Raiko didn't give a crap about what was best for the citizens of the Earth Kingdom. Kuvira threw a freakin' brick at Korra when she told her to surrender to Raiko.

This greatly parallels Cold War scenarios where the USA supported corrupt regimes not because we actually liked them but because it suited our own nation's interests. This is one of the reasons why Iran hates the US so much.

In regards to Korra's development, she learned to empathize with her enemy. Amon, Unalaq, Zaheer, and Kuvira all did terrible things but that didn't mean they weren't human. Not saying it was developed well but that was what I got.

Kuvira also was angry at Raiko and the other nations trying to take advantage of the Earth Kingdom's weakness. Raiko only wanted Prince Wu on the throne because Wu could be manipulated by Republic City. President Raiko didn't give a crap about what was best for the citizens of the Earth Kingdom. Kuvira threw a freakin' brick at Korra when she told her to surrender to Raiko.

This greatly parallels Cold War scenarios where the USA supported corrupt regimes not because we actually liked them but because it suited our own nation's interests. This is one of the reasons why Iran hates the US so much.

response

Ochi

Neo Member
Yes. Makorra was awful through and through.

I would have lost my shit if they got them back together. Since there was zero foundation for that. Would have been a total WTF. Much more out of left field then Korrasami (which at least had the deep relationship plot, even oddly paced).

Yeah Makorra was a trainwreck and the scene in season 3 where Asami and Korra are about to hang out and he gets really awkward made me laugh really fucking hard.

But in reference to the tumblr post, when Bryke said they wanted to turn away from romance overall I wish they had stuck with it. There's a saying that says "sometimes your first instinct is the correct one"

Broadly speaking I was happy with Makorra being over in s3, that showed growth on everyone's part. And everyone should've hust moved past the teenage romance drama.

Yet the romance continued. We didn't need Kai+Jinora, Opal+Bolin was a smidge half baked, but at the same time Bolin being shafted on seasons 1 & 2 made me a little more okay with it.

Zaheer and P'li was pretty good though.

Honestly the less romance amongst the main cast the better the series got imo since they could focus on the plot and characters, ships be damned.

Astral Dog

in the end, Korrasami was the ligth we needed to make this Book relevant, just imagine what would had happened if that was cut? what would we be talking about? Kuvira and the robot?

Afrocious

The series hasn't been worthy of so much discussion.

It seriously wouldn't. I think I'm fine with Korra x Asami being the best thing to come out of the show. I personally felt it was a great punctuation to Korra's development throughout the series, along with how she dealt with Kuvira by talking her down despite everyone wanted the dictator to blast herself with her own gun lol.

I think without Korrasami, we wouldn't have anything to talk about. The show itself wasn't as fleshed out as an epic as the first series and that's disappointing in itself.

However, I'm not going to fault the writers for doing what they did with the two female leads (if Asami could be called a lead in light of characters like Su for example).

While some folks are upset about that, I personally think a perspective shift is in order because, again, we sure don't get enough representation of minorities. This isn't to say the show shouldn't be criticized of course.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Oh right this is why I don't come here

Because we actually try to hold an intelligent discussion about what did and did not worked on this series instead of being "Omg lesbians and implied terrorism and anachism and this series is the best kids' TV show ever!"? if you don't want in, the door's over there.

Because we actually try to hold an intelligent discussion about what did and did not worked on this series instead of being "Omg lesbians and implied terrorism and anachism and this series is the best kids' TV show ever!"? if you don't want in, the door's over there.

You're pretty crazy if you think what I quoted was an example of intelligent discussion, but sure, I'll pretty gladly leave, especially since I was asked to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom