• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matter of fact, I don't think the Fire Nation even wants Mako. They'll exile him at first sight because they already took enough Ls at the end of the war, acknowledging Mako would just exacerbate it.

I dunno about the Fire Nation taking any real Ls. Their people still got the lands they occupied after the war. It's just that their descendants are not Fire Nation no more. Also ,doubtful if there were any war reparations payed to the Water Tribe & Earth Kingdom. I mean in the end of the war, the only nations that got Ls in the end were the Earth Kingdom[less vital ports] and Air Nomads-Not-A-Nation.

Veelk

Banned
I think people forget that Makorra would have went 20X better if Korea wasn't insane. Breaking up with her was a W

No, even preKorra losing her shit, it was bad because...there really wasn't a reason for them to be together in the first place and Mako had to two time Asami to do it. You're taking this W/L game too far and forgetting that there's more to this whole romance thing than Mako getting his dick wet.

All I'm saying is the relationship as a whole probably would have worked out better and went on longer if Korra wasnt crazy, and Mako was better off not dealing with her in that state. You didn't really directly argue anything I said, and that's all I'm saying.

Veelk

Banned
All I'm saying is the relationship as a whole probably would have worked out better and went on longer if Korra wasnt crazy, and Mako was better off not dealing with her in that state. You didn't really directly argue anything I said, and that's all I'm saying.

I'm not, but the implication was that the blame was on her and he was better off without her. True, but it's not like if Korra wasn't hyper aggressive that it'd be a good romance of any kind, nor did Korra's hyper aggression make it significantly worse. It just meant Korra being super pissed all the time was just another turd on the shit pile that is the characterization of these characters in this series.

He just walks outside and men and women just flock to this man. I mean its the same as before, but now he has credentials.

How?

He just walks around and people want him.

Name one person besides Korra and Asami. Just one.

Village

You and me both know Mako will stay get confused and go back to his bae Wu.

* mako going back to anyone *

Let me explain to you situation. Mako is a free bird, he is some handsome dude, who works for the government travels the world, is firends with avatar, saved the avatar' and the avatar's girlfriends lives and and the avatar will vouch for him. His brother is movie star, he friends with two rich tech genius's and mostly like is going to be handsomely compensated for his work during ... the entire series.

He just walks outside and men and women just flock to this man. I mean its the same as before, but now he has credentials.

Pretty much. Dude has no clue how to handle women. He's worse than me and that's saying something.
How?

He just walks around and people want him. This was before the shit i just said. Like he just existed and Korra and asami was like, I want some of that Mako bootie.

he's going to be ok.

" oh no , i'm too handsome and good at things and many people are attracted to me and i can't choose just one. I'm so with women "

I'm not, but the implication was that the blame was on her and he was better off without her. True, but it's not like if Korra wasn't hyper aggressive that it'd be a good romance of any kind, nor did Korra's hyper aggression make it significantly worse.

I didn't say that or imply it really. The relationship as is was a complete, and utter trainwreck. Saying it would have went better if Korra wasn't crazy still isn't saying much o.o

I don't see losing her as a huge L though. Now Asami is really who Mako should have worked for.

Veelk

Banned
I didn't say that or imply it really. The relationship as is was a complete, and utter trainwreck. Saying it would have went better if Korra wasn't crazy still isn't saying much o.o

I don't see losing her as a huge L though. Now Asami is really who Mako should have worked for.

At the same time, is Asami gaining Korra a W? If so, then Mako took the L, he just should have ridden out the craziness.

I mean but still, there was little reason for the relationship to start, i'm just saying it wouldn't have played out so badly it it weren't for psychokorra

At the same time, is Asami gaining Korra a W? If so, then Mako took the L, he just should have ridden out the craziness.

Yeah she got sane Korra, but if I had to break up with a chick because she's psycho, I wouldn't call it a mega L or a bad decision on my part just because she attained average sanity 3 years later... Or would I?

* mako going back to anyone *

Let me explain to you situation. Mako is a free bird, he is some handsome dude, who works for the government travels the world, is firends with avatar, saved the avatar' and the avatar's girlfriends lives and and the avatar will vouch for him. His brother is movie star, he friends with two rich tech genius's and mostly like is going to be handsomely compensated for his work during ... the entire series.

How?

He just walks around and people want him. This was before the shit i just said. Like he just existed and Korra and asami was like, I want some of that Mako bootie.

he's going to be ok.

" oh no , i'm too handsome and good at things and many people are attracted to me and i can't choose just one. I'm so with women "

Don't try to come in here and try to give Mako a W breh, lmao

"Brothers with a mover star" Bolin ain't make a mover since season 2, and that was 3 years before the finale. His mover career is Ja Rule status.

Mako has a great government job, yea... from going from the guy uncovered Varricks deception to watching Prince Wu pee, yea... important stuff.

And yes... he had both Korra and Asami all over him, and he fucks it all up in magnificent fashion and they end up dating each other. Tell me how any of this shit is not an L?!

At the end of the day, Mako had all the tools to be a winner, but now he's just carrying that L around like a fanny pack.

I agree with the point he's getting at. Dat experience he got is like no other. Mako seems like a smart dude who can learn form his mistakes. I'm telling you, this guy will keep pullin and eventually win the big fish.

Village

Don't try to come in here and try to give Mako a W breh, lmao.

Nah man, thats that nice guy " person that was mean to me has to be doing shitty" type shit. Odds are like mako they are doing alright.

"Brothers with a mover star" Bolin ain't make a mover since season 2, and that was 3 years before the finale. His mover career is Ja Rule status.

Eh he could get back into it, world is a hell of a lot more at peace than before. I'm sure varric want smoney

Mako has a great government job, yea... from going from the guy uncovered Varricks deception to watching Prince Wu pee, yea... important stuff.
Yes the guy who helped saved the world,is a detective and will not be vouched for by the avatar everywhere.

Cut to Mako being the leader of the avatar CIA in a decade or so.

And yes... he had both Korra and Asami all over him, and he fucks it all up in magnificent fashion and they end up dating each other. Tell me how any of this shit is not an L?!
Because just as easy as he got those two to fall for him, there are problably bunches of others. Do you think korra and Asami were the beginning of that mans relationships. You are fooling yourself. Especially now when he has all these things behind him, before he was just some punk on the street. Now he has shit going for him, mako going to be the first one everyone recommend to get with .

At the end of the day, Mako had all the tools to be a winner, but now he's just carrying that L around like a fanny pack.
Such a looser, that handsome accomplished person that probably has healthy functional relationship due to those things. Such a L, yep mmm.

Take a lesson from asami and Korra, find your own happiness. Mako going to get his.

360pages

The problem is, every single relationship Mako has been in is screwed up or he messed up himself. And unlike Bolin, outside Asami and Korra no female had showed any interest in him at all.

Even when he was on the Pro-bending team, Bolin was the one with all the Fan Girls.

Bolin still had fanboys in season 3. Being that he's really the first ever mover star, I don't see him ever really being forgotten in the Avatar universe.

The problem is, every single relationship Mako has been in is screwed up or he messed up himself. And unlike Bolin, outside Asami and Korra no female had showed any interest in him at all.

Even when he was on the Pro-bending team, Bolin was the one with all the Fan Girls.

Um, no. PsychoKorra's the main one to blame for their relationship failing.

Village

The ones you done seen. You gotta assume these characters, have lives outside of what happens on screen. this isn't friends where that's the whole point of the show.

He wooed Mako and Korra by just being himself, to assume he can't with anyone else, is naive.

Mako's relationship dynamics wouldn't be interesting enough to make plot relevant. We saw what that was.

Mako ain't gonna accomplish shit, won't be shit, ain't gonna do shit.

Fuck that cheater and his eyebrows.

Village did nothing but make me place him above Suyin Beifong on the "people who I wish would get hit by a truck list"

360pages

The ones you done seen. You gotta assume these characters, have lives outside of what happens on screen. this isn't friends where that's the whole point of the show.

He wooed Mako and Korra by just being himself, to assume he can't with anyone else, is naive.

Mako's relationship dynamics wouldn't be interesting enough to make plot relevant. We saw what that was.

Ah...we have to assume what is given by the show. I mean legit, it looks like no female even has a passing interest towards Mako. Good or bad, the series doesn't give us enough to work with for us to know he is some kind of chick magnet. But gives us enough to realize that he is awful at relationships. Plus somehow managed to mess up two relationships with some of the most powerful women in the series.

In Asami's case twice.

Village did nothing but make me place him above Suyin Beifong on the "people who I wish would get hit by a truck list"

Ya'll just harsh. He gone get far in life mah dude. Just accept it.

360pages

I hated Mako in Season 1/2, he seemed like everything wrong with the Zuko/Bad boy archtype, but instead of actually being useful in combat situations. He cheats on his girlfriend.

In later seasons he's fine, mostly because they pushed him away from romance. Since his character was awful for.

Village

Ah...we have to assume what is given by the show. I mean legit, it looks like no female even has a passing interest towards Mako. Good or bad, the series doesn't give us enough to work with for us to know he is some kind of chick magnet. But gives us enough to realize that he is awful at relationships. Plus somehow managed to mess up two relationships with some of the most powerful women in the series.

In Asami's case twice.

While I acknowledge you argument is super valid.

I argue that the reason you see none of this is because mako isn't an interesting character. Bolin is, thats why he is in relationships every 2 seconds. Mako literally wooed asami and korra by doing nothing. Like who actually cares, I only care enough to produce a joke argument. He's literally a nothing character, he is heroic, but thats it really. He's the fred of the LOK scooby doo. He probably was dating someone else in season 4. but is that even interesting enough to show, and would this person even be plot relevant at this point. Interesting chemistry and plot relevance are a thing here. Mako is a 2d image of a person, literally a metaphorically. And as we have learned in real life, not being interesting as long as you are attractive don't mean much to a lot of people.

These hypothetical relationships probably wont last that long, but to say he wont do aiigt for himself is silly. Dude did nothing, and got two of the most powerful women in the context of that show to be like i want his butt. Nothing, I don't think thats a fluke. I think that can be replicated, I think that happened to him already. But he just cares about his own shit more than their feelings. But he isn't an interesting enough dude, to even tell that story with less plot relevant characters.

That guy that was mean to you one time is probably doing alright with his life. Its best to find your own happiness, they are going to find theirs.

I don't care if you hate mako, I don't even like mako. But to say he wont be nothing is silly, just because someone is mean to you or anyone else doesn't mean they wont accomplish anything. That's just naive and self centered.

Yeah, Mako has a ton going for him honestly

I don't really care how much others hate him, but I personally don't hate him just because his relationship mistakes mistakes were made out of his own naiveness rather than him having some kind of raw motive to be a douchebag and purposely hurt others. Of course, I can hate characters for those reasons when it comes to other situations, just not in Mako's specific scenario. Him acknowledging his mistakes made him seem better in my eyes anyway, but yeah of course I don't expect everyone to feel that way lol.

Veelk

Banned
Hating characters for being badly written is like hating a meal because it's undercooked. It's not the foods fault, it's the cooks.

It really doesn't matter what credentials mako has, in the actual show, he's just characterized as treating women like shit and them dumping him over it until no one is interested in him. You can think he's got shit going on off screen, but that's fanfiction since it's an assumption made on part of the audience.

It really doesn't matter what credentials mako has, in the actual show, he's just characterized as treating women like shit and them dumping him over it until no one is interested in him. You can think he's got shit going on off screen, but that's fanfiction since it's an assumption made on part of the audience.

We're not saying his "credentials" excuse him of how he was characterized to handle relationships or whatever, i'm just saying that he'd still probably have a relatively accomplished life because of them.

Veelk

Banned
We're not saying his "credentials" excuse him of how he was characterized to handle relationships or whatever, i'm just saying that he'd still probably have a relatively accomplished life because of them.
And I'm saying that it being an assumption makes it fanfiction. Which isn't bad or anything, just not part of the show established canon.

Village

Hating characters for being badly written is like hating a meal because it's undercooked. It's not the foods fault, it's the cooks.

There is a spiderman thread that would have an argument with you.

Though whether is the characters or the writer is an interesting argument all together. But not one even care to have.

Like this argument i'm making for mako is joking at best, and he's not even that interesting a character.

And I'm saying that it being an assumption makes it fanfiction. Which isn't bad or anything, just not part of the show established canon.

Ok, we're just having a discussion on the future of Mako. Of course it's not canon, and it's kind of redundant to point that out. My speculation is based on canon at least.

Why didn't you point that out with this comment? "Mako ain't gonna accomplish shit, won't be shit, ain't gonna do shit."

I meannn

Veelk

Banned
Ok, we're just having a discussion on the future of Mako. Of course it's not canon, and it's kind of redundant to point that out. My speculation is based on canon at least.

Why didn't you point that out with this comment? "Mako ain't gonna accomplish shit, won't be shit, ain't gonna do shit."

I meannn
Because if I pointed out every possible error or questionable statement, I'd surpass jaded in posts

I think the more accurate response would be, if you pointed out every time we were having a speculative discussion, you'd surpass Jaded in posts.

But you had the right idea :p

Veelk

Banned
I think the more accurate response would be, if you pointed out every time we were having a speculative discussion, you'd surpass Jaded in posts.

But you had the right idea :p
This implies all you have or all I'd get involved in to correct you is speculative discussions, which isn't true.

But except for the part where your wrong, you had the right idea :p

I meannn

Because I'm spitting pure truthfacts bruh

This implies all you have or all I'd get involved in to correct you is speculative discussions, which isn't true.

But except for the part where your wrong, you had the right idea :p

So you're saying that you wouldn't have brought up the fact that our discussion is speculation if you didn't find anything else I posted questionable?

Veelk

Banned
So you're saying that you wouldn't have brought up the fact that our discussion is speculation if you didn't find anything else I posted questionable?

At worst, I was reclarifying everyone of its speculative nature. If it was redundant, it wasn't harmfully so, and I wasn't aware it everyone had it in mind. Things like this can be forgotten in the heat of discussion. I'm not sure why your so hung up about it.

And I don't know of if I would have posted even if anything else was questionable, or not posted if there wasn't. I'm just saying why I don't post on every comment. I don't have a set rule on when to post and when to not. It's mostly a matter of my availability and whims.

At worst, I was reclarifying everyone of its speculative nature. If it was redundant, it wasn't harmfully so, and I wasn't aware it everyone had it in mind. Things like this can be forgotten in the heat of discussion. I'm not sure why your so hung up about it.

What do you mean hung up? I was just wondering why you'd go out of the way to point out that it's a speculative discussion, when I'd assume that'd be a no brainier to everyone, and you answered. That's all.

it wasn't harmfully so

It kind of derailed the discussion.

When I posted this comment.

In reply to yours

Why did you chose to further reply with this?

and then wonder why I questioned why you'd push the point when it's a given and didn't really do anything to the point I was making? Why were you so hung up on it?

Veelk

Banned
What do you mean hung up? I was just wondering why you'd go out of the way to point out that it's a speculative discussion, when I'd assume that'd be a no brainier to everyone, and you answered. That's all.
Everyone seemed pretty convinced in their assessment, so friendly reminder wasn't uncalled for. One should try to not make assumptions about others.

It wasn't a derailment until you focused on it to the exclusion of the original discussion.

Everyone seemed pretty convinced in their assessment, so friendly reminder wasn't uncalled for. One should try to not make assumptions about others.

It wasn't a derailment until you focused on it to the exclusion of the original discussion.

You were the first one to focus a comment on it, not me. I simply replied saying it was redundant. It didn't really do anything to advance the discussion about Mako.

Not to say I don't understand why you pointed that out now since you explained yourself. Although I personally still didn't think it was necessary, I wouldn't question you if you did it again or anything. I was just wondering why you pointed it out.

Veelk

Banned
You were the first one to focus a comment on it, not me. I simply replied saying it was redundant. It didn't really do anything to advance the discussion about Mako.

Not to say I don't understand why you pointed that out now since you explained yourself. Although I personally still didn't think it was necessary, I wouldn't question you if you did it again or anything. I was just wondering why you pointed it out.

You could only really speak for yourself, and even then, faulty memory might just have you saying you had it in mind in retrospect when you actually didn't. There really is no way for me to tell. Either way, one comment on it is not derailment. It has to supersede the discussion for it to be that, and I can't really be blamed if you decided to drop the previous conversation to focus on it. I would have been fine with leaving it at one post but you prompted me by asking follow up questions on it. I understand why you ask them, but you can't move the focus of the discussion to it and then say I derailed the line of conversation merely because I posted the one thing.

You could only really speak for yourself, and even then, faulty memory might just have you saying you had it in mind in retrospect. Either way, one comment on it is not derailment. It has to supersede the discussion for it to be that, and I can't really be blamed if you decided to drop the previous conversation to focus on it. I would have been fine with leaving it at one post but you prompted me by asking follow up questions on it. I understand why you ask them, but you can't move the focus of the discussion to it and then say I derailed the line of conversation merely because I posted the one thing.

So why can we say I decided to completely drop the previous discussion, thus derailing things, and not you?

I would have been fine with leaving it at one post but you prompted me by asking follow up questions on it. I understand why you ask them, but you can't move the focus of the discussion to it and then say I derailed the line of conversation merely because I posted the one thing.

I understand why you ask them

So you prompted me to prompt you

My point with that is, you replied to my comment (which was completely on topic to the original discussion) with a statement that didn't do anything to really advance the discussion, which prompted me to say that it was redundant and gave nothing to the discussion about Mako. You're saying that I prompted you to go further into the derailment as a defense, but you just acknowledged that you were that one the prompted me to reply to that comment in such a manner in the first place.

And look at us now.

This is as derailed as it gets.

Veelk

Banned
So why can we say I decided to completely drop the previous discussion, thus derailing things, and not you?

I understand why you ask them

So you prompted me to prompt you

No, you misunderstand. I'm not asking you anything. You're asking me things, like in the bolded. That is a prompt for me to answer. What I am writing now is not. Merely because I reply to you does not mean I am inviting you to reply (though you obviously can). I am merely explaining myself. You, on the other hand, are asking me to answer a question. That's a different rhetoric altogether.

Similarly, whereas if you understood why I was making the posts I was would have meant you didn't have to ask me to explain myself, my understanding of your position does not make my replies to you unnecessary. If I understand that you want to know why I was making the redundant statement, I would still have to post so that you'd know. My understanding of the situation isn't relevant to making you understand.

My point with that is, you replied to my comment (which was completely on topic to the original discussion) with a statement that didn't do anything to really advance the discussion, which prompted me to say that it was redundant and gave nothing to the discussion about Mako. You're saying that I prompted you to go further into the derailment as a defense, but you just acknowledged that you were that one the prompted me to reply to that comment in such a manner in the first place.

And look at us now.

This is as derailed as it gets.
It is, but to my mind, you have a misunderstanding of the conversational dynamic that has taken place between us. At no point have I prompted you as you claim merely because I replied to you.

But I do agree it is derailed and am willing to stop.

But I do agree it is derailed and am willing to stop.

Derail, shmemail. I'm going all out now.

Merely because I reply to you does not mean I am inviting you to reply (though you obviously can). I am merely explaining myself. You, on the other hand, are asking me to answer a question.

It is, but to my mind, you have a misunderstanding of the conversational dynamic that has taken place between us. At no point have I prompted you as you claim merely because I replied to you.

Just because you weren't asking me a question doesn't make a response there any less warranted. Why did you feel the need to further explain yourself with that comment in response to mine anyway?

The fact that I didn't even initially address that point of yours, and you decided to bring it up again with your next comment

Made me feel like you were pushing that as some kind of counter argument against my point, which would definitely prompt a response in me pointing out that it didn't do anything for the discussion we were having.

Veelk

Banned
Derail, shmemail. I'm going all out now.

Fair enough.

Just because you weren't asking me a question doesn't make a response there any less warranted. Why did you feel the need to explain yourself with that particular point in response this comment in response to mine anyway?

Because I dislike being misrepresented, so I try to be as clear as possible.

Warrant has nothing to do with it. You can decide to reply (or not) whenever you damn well feel like. A question calls for an answer, however. It is different. You can choose to answer or not answer a question the same as a statement, but it is not the same as making a statement that can serve as the conclusion of the discussion.

The fact that I didn't even initially address that point of yours, and you decided to bring it up again in response to this comment of mine

Made me feel like you were pushing that as some kind of counter argument against my point, which would definitely prompt a response in me pointing out that it didn't do anything for the discussion we were having.

And that's fine to respond to, but it is not a prompt. Sorry if you felt that you were being attacked, but that wasn't that, as I have established in previous posts. You answered asking me why I didn't respond to other speculation, and that was. For me, it is basic politeness to answer a question, because a question, by it's nature, it asks for an answer. Even if I was making a counter, an argument does not.

Wtf i'm witnessing another Veelk and IcyFlame discussion based on some weird crosstalk?

this thread is really on some loop :O.

Also LOL @ this Mako discussion.

Now matter what he does this shit will always be the sticking point somehow and i wouldn't be surprised if any attempt at giving him a W is seen as a copout and completely ignored. :p

Fair enough.

Because I dislike being misrepresented, so I try to be as clear as possible.

Warrant has nothing to do with it. You can decide to reply (or not) whenever you damn well feel like. A question calls for an answer, however. It is different. You can choose to answer or not answer a question the same as a statement, but it is not the same as making a statement that can serve as the conclusion of the discussion.

And that's fine to respond to, but it is not a prompt. Sorry if you felt that you were being attacked, but that wasn't that, as I have established in previous posts. You answered asking me why I didn't respond to other speculation, and that was. For me, it is basic politeness to answer a question, because a question, by it's nature, it asks for an answer. Even if I was making a counter, an argument does not.

I didn't feel like I was being attacked.

The thing is, because you brought up the point twice in response to my comments that were on the discussion of Mako.

(Your second time bringing up the point below)

It made me believe that you were presenting that as an actual counterpoint to the relevant discussion at hand, which would of course be a prompt to respond pointing out that it doesn't do anything to my point. Within an argument, a faulty counterpoint calls to be, well, called out. So yes, that's a prompt.

I think he just likes to argue for the sake of arguing. Bad habit.

Why do you always at some point have to resort to ad hominem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom