• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just about, father and grandfather were both Navy. Did 30 years a piece. Brother in law and his younger brother are Air Force with the latter getting out recently.

My father and my mother actually protested my decision to join, my father saying that I didn't need to follow in their footsteps and my mother being concerned for my safety, it was chaos when I told them I was being deployed to the Middle East, then later on South Korea after the North once again started 'popping off at the mouth' after their missile tests. (I was in the 'green' Navy... I wasn't stationed on a ship, but rather a command that deploys people around the world in support of logistics and combat operations)

My relationship with my father was still 'rocky' at best, but after I decided I wanted to get out it all just went to hell and that's where I end this story.
Yikes. Father's are never happy regardless of what we do, I hope we can both learn from what happened.
Hunter's Moon is so fucking random. Vigilante putting in work.

But yeah, Clash is really good. It's REALLY good. It's a pity they never use Captain Marvel after that. Must not have had rights.

I'm personally not a fan of Vixen. I find her boring, though her powers are pretty cool. I feel like she exists solely to create the love triangle, and while it's not a bad story arc at all (and actually resolved really well), I find her impeccably boring. It's upsetting so much screen time was given to her when it could have been given to multiple other characters. I guess it's better than just having John and Shayera awkwardly interact with each other for however many episodes, with no real basis for it.
Vixen's main problem is that she just sort of acts like a black woman stereotype. She's has no real individual personality, which is sad because they do female characters so well when they want to. Clash is great because it seems like a precursor to a Young Justice episode with the prep work that Lex laid down.

Yikes. Father's are never happy regardless of what we do, I hope we can both learn from what happened.

Vixen's main problem is that she just sort of acts like a black woman stereotype. She's has no real individual personality, which is sad because they do female characters so well when they want to. Clash is great because it seems like a precursor to a Young Justice episode with the prep work that Lex laid down.
I wouldn't say Vixen is just a stereotype. I know this might seem like a bit of a non-PC thing to say, but stereotypes exist for a reason. Some people are just like that. Vixen, for all intents and purposes, is a strong, independent black woman who don't need no man. If that's a stereotype, it's one that I'm okay with. Vixen is boring as shit because of it, but I don't find this particular one offensive or a poor characterization (though some might say it's lazy). Regardless, she does have some dope fight scenes.
vixen-mari-mccabe-o.gif

And the entirety of JLU is prep-time Luthor.

I wouldn't say Vixen is just a stereotype. I know this might seem like a bit of a non-PC thing to say, but stereotypes exist for a reason. Some people are just like that. Vixen, for all intents and purposes, is a strong, independent black woman who don't need no man. If that's a stereotype, it's one that I'm okay with. Vixen is boring as shit because of it, but I don't find this particular one offensive or a poor characterization (though some might say it's lazy). Regardless, she does have some dope fight scenes.
vixen-mari-mccabe-o.gif

And the entirety of JLU is prep-time Luthor.
I don't hate her, but I agree she is pretty boring. She ain't Shayera. And LOL, prep time Luthor just can't be beat. I loved how he made damn sure he put on a power suit for the ending. I love Luthor in these shows. Young Justice Luthor is hilarious too, I love his Mercy android thing.

I don't hate her, but I agree she is pretty boring. She ain't Shayera. And LOL, prep time Luthor just can't be beat. I loved how he made damn sure he put on a power suit for the ending. I love Luthor in these shows. Young Justice Luthor is hilarious too, I love his Mercy android thing.
Mercy was created as an original for STAS, like Harley Quinn for BTAS. She was popular and cool so they brought her into the comics. She then spread to more properties. Green Lantern The Animated Series also had an original character, Razer. Similar situation with him as well.

Here's Razer's origin:
DC Comics Database said:
A soldier on his homeworld, Razer was part of a band of militiamen seeking to oust the corrupt warlords who periodically raided their villages. One day, Razer returned home from battle to discover his beloved Ilana had been murdered while he'd been away. Overcome with grief and self-loathing, Razer could not resist the power of the Red Power Ring that found him and was inducted into the Red Lantern Corps.

Ok, now, here's what makes it the best:

Atrocitus, leader of the Red Lanterns, slaughtered Razer's entire planet just to make one Red Lantern.

Like, dayum.

Mercy was created as an original for STAS, like Harley Quinn for BTAS. She was popular and cool so they brought her into the comics. She then spread to more properties. Green Lantern The Animated Series also had an original character, Razer. Similar situation with him as well.

Here's Razer's origin:

Ok, now, here's what makes it the best:

Atrocitus, leader of the Red Lanterns, slaughtered Razer's entire planet just to make one Red Lantern.

Like, dayum.
God damn, that dude lived up to his name.

Did she really adopt her though?
She gave her a place to sleep and most likely just set up a stable living situation for her. I'm going to think she had more to do with Kuvira as a child and then when she had more of her own kids she put more time into them due to the age difference. Su definitely had some sort of impact on her because Kuvira modeled a lot of herself after Su, from hair to other things. They're both strong domineering personalities, though I think parts of Kuvira are a lot more stable than Su.

Jman014

For all we know she probably made her stay in the cellar.
Mean Su
She gave her a place to sleep and most likely just set up a stable living situation for her. I'm going to think she had more to do with Kuvira as a child and then when she had more of her own kids she put more time into them due to the age difference. Su definitely had some sort of impact on her because Kuvira modeled a lot of herself after Su, from hair to other things. They're both strong domineering personalities, though I think parts of Kuvira are a lot more stable than Su.

I'd like to think that Kuvira still grew up with the Beifong kids and bonded with them.

Mean Su

I'd like to think that Kuvira still grew up with the Beifong kids and bonded with them.
I'd honestly like to think she bonded with the kids too, which would make Wing and Wei so gung ho to go on an assassination mission with Su to be a bit fucked up in my opinion. I would think out of the Kids Opal liked her the most since she seemed to take the most offense to the whole thing with the family.

Jman014

I'd honestly like to think she bonded with the kids too, which would make Wing and Wei so gung ho to go on an assassination mission with Su to be a bit fucked up in my opinion. I would think out of the Kids Opal liked her the most since she seemed to take the most offense to the whole thing with the family.

I wonder what Kuvira's punishment would be for what she did.

Veelk

Banned
Actually... Whose to say that Kuvira is unique? Suyin is exactly the kind of ridiculous woman that would adopted a bunch of orphans to improve their lives. It would explain why she views Kuvira as a 'daughter', while simultaneously having no particular sentiment towards her. Maybe the entire dance ensemble is her orphaned children collection project.

Actually... Whose to say that Kuvira is unique? Suyin is exactly the kind of ridiculous woman that would adopted a bunch of orphans to improve their lives. It would explain why she views Kuvira as a 'daughter', while simultaneously having no particular sentiment towards her. Maybe the entire dance ensemble is her orphaned children collection project.

giphy.gif

Introducing Exhibit B to the "Suyin Beifong really ain't shit trial"

Hamlet

Probably life in prison or something. Similar with what happened to the Red Lotus crew and Zaheer. As she did after all create prison camps for all non earth citizens and she also pretty much destroyed most of Republic City.

If this was the real world they'd hang her and Bataar Jr. like fucking Mussolini and his wife. In this show she'll just get a special prison constructed for her. Though in all honesty they could use her leadership skills to help rebuild Republic City.
"Dance you motherless harpies." That all just feeds into her self induced God complex. Savior of everyone, mother to no one.

Jman014

Probably life in prison or something. Similar with what happened to the Red Lotus crew and Zaheer. As she did after all create prison camps for all non earth citizens and she also pretty much destroyed most of Republic City.

I loved the Red Lotus. Closest thing to a cool cult in the show.

I'm legit about to throw this on tumblr and make the Kuvira fandom go into a frenzy
It takes far too much time to understand a child, easy as fuck to take them in and force a hobby onto them though. In season 3 though she did seem to get a lot of pleasure with her "look how I saved these people and gave them a new role in life" tirades.

Veelk

Banned
One of you needs to learn to draw so we can have a propaganda picture of Su holding a whip over her people shouting "Dance you motherless harpies"

Feenix should send that suggestion to Nikkipet.

Nikki and Sleepy barely have time these days and Rin is on and off. I'm pretty sure quite a few other fan artists follow me on tumblr, so I might ask one of them.

I just thought of something though... although Suyin hated the fact Bataar ran away with Kuvira, she was the one who made the "relationship" happen.

One of those motherless harpies had to reproduce a new generation of Beifongs.

Nikki and Sleepy barely have time these days and Rin is on and off. I'm pretty sure quite a few other fan artists follow me on tumblr, so I might ask one of them.

I just thought of something though... although Suyin hated the fact Bataar ran away with Kuvira, she was the one who made the "relationship" happen.

One of those motherless harpies had to reproduce a new generation of Beifongs.
At least Bataar's and Kuvira's kids would be intelligent. I can't see any spawn with Bolin's DNA having any useful grey matter.

Poor Bolin. What a nice guy, though.
They'd have to get Varrick to genetically engineer those kids to make sure they get as little from Bolin as possible. They can keep the looks, but that's it...then again Wing and Wei weren't the sharpest tools in the shed either...neither was Toph.

Jman014

They'd have to get Varrick to genetically engineer those kids to make sure they get as little from Bolin as possible. They can keep the looks, but that's it...then again Wing and Wei weren't the sharpest tools in the shed either...neither was Toph.

I'd love to see what Varrick comes up with next to introduce into the Avatar world.

At least Bataar's and Kuvira's kids would be intelligent. I can't see any spawn with Bolin's DNA having any useful grey matter.

I mean, like... what other option did Suyin have?

banana sculpting Huan?

The twins? were they even important?

Opal hooked up with Bolin
of all people
, at least he's a lavabender. Though Bolin's DNA wouldn't be the exact subject of my worries, it's that dormant "L" gene that is genetically passed down in his family. Bolin managed not to activate it much, his brother on the other hand...

And at least Bataar brought some intelligence to the table, although he's a pitiful simp with a horrible haircut

Bolin and Opal's children would be the epitome of physicality in the known Avatarverse. And hey, Opal's got brains. And say what you will about Bolin, he knew how to work people far better than anyone else in the Krew did. Who got all those airbenders to voluntarily be recruited? Sure as hell wasn't Tenzin, Korra, Mako, or Asami.

Veelk

Banned
Toph wasn't unintelligent. She had an aristocratic education, she just likes a crass lifestyle.

Toph wasn't unintelligent. She had an aristocratic education, she just likes a crass lifestyle.
Still wasn't intelligent enough to realize she was fucking up her kids while she was in the process of fucking up her kids. True she wasn't stupid, just hyper rough around the edges when she felt like it.
Bolin and Opal's children would be the epitome of physicality in the known Avatarverse. And hey, Opal's got brains. And say what you will about Bolin, he knew how to work people far better than anyone else in the Krew did. Who got all those airbenders to voluntarily be recruited? Sure as hell wasn't Tenzin, Korra, Mako, or Asami.
I've actually said the very thing if Bolin and Korra had kids. They'd be body as fuck, but couldn't do math, they'd just hurl rocks at the teacher. He's people smart, though couldn't see that Eska was fucked up on sight.
I mean, like... what other option did Suyin have?

banana sculpting Huan?

The twins? were they even important?

Opal hooked up with Bolin
of all people
, at least he's a lavabender. Though Bolin's DNA wouldn't be the exact subject of my worries, it's that dormant "L" gene that is genetically passed down in his family. Bolin managed not to activate it much, his brother on the other hand...

And at least Bataar brought some intelligence to the table, although he's a pitiful simp with a horrible haircut

Bataar was drinking the kool aid that was Kuvira's bath water too hard. Those kids would've been smart, granted Bataar was a simp but he made a fucking Evangelion with a Megatron canon.

Veelk

Banned
Still wasn't intelligent enough to realize she was fucking up her kids while she was in the process of fucking up her kids. True she wasn't stupid, just hyper rough around the edges when she felt like it.

*shrug* Not everyone is suited to be parents, but I was talking about her tla characterization. LoK is kind of a different story.

I've actually said the very thing if Bolin and Korra had kids. They'd be body as fuck, but couldn't do math, they'd just hurl rocks at the teacher. He's people smart, though couldn't see that Eska was fucked up on sight.
I think he saw that Eska was fucked up after the first night, but he had no idea what the hell to do because he was scared of/intimidated by her.

*shrug* Not everyone is suited to be parents, but I was talking about her tla characterization. LoK is kind of a different story.
I take them as one an the same. Toph kept her wisdom, but holy shit there's a different aspect to her that just wasn't suited to raising kids. Too much school of hard knocks in her case. She probably made the most mistakes with Lin since Lin was the first, probably brushed up a bit with Su, but Su's still a piece of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom