• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
Just real quick, something that needs to be cleared up: Is Vaatu stated to be the "spirit of destruction"? I always recall it being chaos as his big push.

And Unalaq bringing back the spirits was a required goal of his, and so in a way it's part of his ideals. If his ideal is "power" and assumed to be nothing more.

Toph's speech always bothered me. Like, how the fuck does she know what Unalaq's up to? He's in the poles, and her vines don't reach that far. I can understand Zaheer and Amon, but Unalaq? Always bugged me.

He's the spirit of darkness and chaos. The darkness part is what makes me think he's a spirit of destruction. I mean, it's kind of random if it literally just means absence of light, so I ought more like "absence of energy", so like a universe where there is no form of light or heat or anything. Hence, destruction. So with moniker's like that, I can't think of what he'd want besides the destruction of the universe.

Power isn't really an ideology. Social Darwinism is an ideology (which Ozai ascribed to), but Unalaq didn't as far as I remember. An ideology is a way of thinking for how the world is or should be. As far as what he said, the world 'should' be spiritually invested or something. His actions reflect that to the extent that he tries to fuse the worlds. Saying his ideology is "Power" doesn't really say anything about that except that it exists.

I agree that Toph somehow knowing this shit is kind of random. Maybe she was listening in to his heartbeat as he talked about this stuff because she has nothing better to do than be the Avatar World's NSA program, but the way it's framed within the show, it's safe to assume she is accurate in what she is talking about.

Z1eIy.gif

Oh give me a break. At this point, I can't disagree with anyone without it being a 'rampage' according to you guys. I'm not being aggressive, I'm not saying he's necessarily wrong, I'm not even sure I'm right because I'm arguing that Unalaq doesn't have a consistent characterization that makes sense, and it could be I'm just missing something. I know I can get pretty invested in arguments that explode onto the page, but are you seriously going to tell me that a few paragraphs over 3 (now 4 as of this reply) posts are overblown? You're just overusing the joke at this point and applying it whenever I have a differing opinion. At some point, I will tear this thread a new asshole as I tend to do. Then feel free to derail the conversation with awkwardness. But this? This isn't anything.

Oh give me a break. At this point, I can't disagree with anyone without it being a 'rampage' according to you guys. I'm not being aggressive, I'm not saying he's necessarily wrong, I'm not even sure I'm right because I'm arguing that Unalaq doesn't have a consistent characterization that makes sense, and it could be I'm just missing something. I know I can get pretty invested in arguments that explode onto the page, but are you seriously going to tell me that a few paragraphs over 3 (now 4 as of this reply) posts are overblown? You're just overusing the joke at this point and applying it whenever I have a differing opinion. It's annoying and I'd like it to stop unless I really tear this thread a new asshole. Then feel free, but this? This isn't anything.

Hey, I haven't been getting on your case lately. I know what is purebred Veelk post is and you haven't wrote one in a while. But I think his post wasn't directed at just you but at the argument that is brewing in here.

Veelk

Banned
Hey, I haven't been getting on your case lately. I know what is purebred Veelk post is and you haven't wrote one in a while. But I think his post wasn't directed at just you but at the argument that is brewing in here.

Well, I meant it in general. I can take a joke, but it gets annoying when it comes to the point where I say something contrary or question someone on to go more in depth that the immediate response is "OH THAT VEELK IS AT IT AGAIN". It adds nothing to the discussion being had and it's a move to derail it. I think me and BK are being perfectly civil here, so there's no call for it.
Are we not having a good discussion? I thought we were having a good, civil discussion. I was enjoying it. Dunno if Veelk is, but I am.

Yeah, same here. So at best, the Veelk meme is being misused here, at worst, if it's gotten to the point where I can't create an opposing opinion without it being derailed by it, then it's gone too far.

Basically. It was more of me just disappearing after igniting a debate/argument. As you may or may not have noticed I like to post inflammatory/contrarian opinions to see the reactions and whip up some discussion other than rule34 fanart.

Sorry if I offended you Veelk, wasn't the intention. Was a joke. And it wasn't directed to you. More to both sides of the debate.

Veelk

Banned
Basically. It was more of me just disappearing after igniting a debate/argument. As you may or may not have noticed I like to post inflammatory/contrarian opinions to see the reactions and whip up some discussion other than rule34 fanart.

Sorry if I offended you Veelk, wasn't the intention. Was a joke.

It didn't offend me, just sort of annoyed me. I don't mind having a reputation for debating and I don't mind people poking fun at me over it, but I've seen cases (in real life) where people do a particular thing and then get known for ONLY THAT ONE THING, and then it applies to every context in their lives, to the point where it becomes detrimental to seeing them as legitimate people. In this case, I don't want every time I make a point against someone to be accompanied by the meme, because it will only derail the thread and discredit the points I make, reducing them to just being contrarian for the sake of it. I don't mind having a reputation, but I do mind becoming that reputation, and that's the danger I saw when you posted that pic as a response to the very tame discussion we were having.

I know you meant well, so sorry of I overreacted a bit, but I hope you understand my reasons.

Also technically I started the argument but I just couldn't be arsed to actually add any meaningful discussion, so I "disappeared into the bushes" like the funny Simpsons gif.

Edit: anyway, please continue gentlemen.

It didn't offend me, just sort of annoyed me. I don't mind having a reputation for debating and I don't mind people poking fun at me over it, but I've seen cases (in real life) where people do a particular thing and then get known for ONLY THAT ONE THING, and then it applies to every context in their lives, to the point where it becomes detrimental to seeing them as legitimate people. In this case, I don't want every time I make a point against someone to be accompanied by the meme, because it will only derail the thread and discredit the points I make, reducing them to just being contrarian for the sake of it. I don't mind having a reputation, but I do mind becoming that reputation, and that's the danger I saw when you posted that pic as a response to the very tame discussion we were having.

I know you meant well, so sorry of I overreacted a bit, but I hope you understand my reasons.

So basically you are Mako now ? :O

:p

Seriously though as long as it doesn't devolve into ad hominems or some passive aggressive horseshit or somehow the arguers are missing each other's point consistently, i'll read what's brewing in here and comment if necessary.

Trick question new guy don't answer it.

No - He'll get angry and go on a kaiju rampage due to you not liking his waifu

Yes - Only Toa can like his waifu, so kaiju rampage is eminent
In before "How many times do I have to tell you people she's not my 'waifu' what's wrong with you guys?"

zennyzz

Welcome!

But do you like Kuvira?

Yes, second favorite villain of the series behind amon. I feel she's a nice juxposition of Korra as a character.

That said, I feel book 4 did a lot of disservice to her and the overarching plot of the book due to a lot of tell rather than show in regards to her character.

Veelk

Banned
Star vs The Forces of Evil is going to be like the worst possible show to recommend to anyone for me. It's great, but so girly. So, SO girly.

Toa TAK

Banned
Star vs The Forces of Evil is going to be like the worst possible show to recommend to anyone for me. It's great, but so girly. So, SO girly.

Haha, I heard of them but never picked them up.

But lol @ Narnia. Wouldn't enter that.

Plus I only read The Magician's Nephew. Which I loved. Hm...

EDIT: YES. JOHNNY BRAVO!

Basically, but it's got a gravity falls sense of humor to it, except wackier and more whimsical. I don't think it'll be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's good so far.

Had me at Gravity Falls. Might give it a shot when I have time and such. I suppose if you watched powerpuff girls, watching this might not be that much of a stretch. Though that depends if the girly is that girly. Admittedly, I DID played through 2 episodes of Life is Strange. A different matter entirely perhaps.

Veelk

Banned
Had me at Gravity Falls. Might give it a shot when I have time and such. I suppose if you watched powerpuff girls, watching this might not be that much of a stretch. Though that depends if the girly is that girly.

Girlier than PPG. This show literally barfs rainbows and cute animals at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom