• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Deimos

Let's get back to what this thread is about: not Korra.

I finished Moribito last night, now I want the rest of the novels to be animated. It wasn't as action packed as it could have been like you said Jaded, but the fight scenes it did have were awesome. I'm surprised everything went as smoothly as it did for Balsa and Chagum near the end. I was expecting that Dornkirk looking mofo to fuck things up but they actually managed to cooperate with each other like civilized people. You don't see that everyday.

Let's get back to what this thread is about: not Korra.

I finished Moribito last night, now I want the rest of the novels to be animated. It wasn't as action packed as it could have been like you said Jaded, but the fight scenes it did have were awesome. I'm surprised everything went as smoothly as it did for Balsa and Chagum near the end. I was expecting that Dornkirk looking mofo to fuck things up but they actually managed to cooperate with each other like civilized people. You don't see that everyday.
I really need to finish this show. I should just start over after I finally finish watching Turn A Gundam. I stopped oddly at Ep 20, do not ask me why. Balsa is everything that Korra wishes she was of course it didn't get all fucked up.

-Deimos

I really need to finish this show. I should just start over after I finally finish watching Turn A Gundam. I stopped oddly at Ep 20, do not ask me why. Balsa is everything that Korra wishes she was of course it didn't get all fucked up.

lol I probably should have spoilered that last part. If Korra was even a tiny bit as competent as Balsa, the entire show would have been over in one season. Balsa doesn't mess around.

lol I probably should have spoilered that last part. If Korra was even a tiny bit as competent as Balsa, the entire show would have been over in one season. Balsa doesn't mess around.
No she don't. She's not a murderer or anything from what I've seen, but she'll put a guy down and evade the aftermath like nobody's business. They didn't even try to sexualize her, which was great.

What's with all this domestic abuse?

They mess with each other throughout the duration of the show

tumblr_mv5fbn5Qj41s59iv9o1_500.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_ma9vl2TUIu1qzd219o3_250.gif

Ray Down

Banned
Ahh yeah new Deus Ex.

Also fuck those man-spider creatures in Bloodborne, one of them surprised me and I screamed like a little girl.

Ahh yeah new Deus Ex.

Also fuck those man-spider creatures in Bloodborne, one of them surprised me and I screamed like a little girl.
I'm nowhere near you. Last time I played I put down Vicar Amelia and wandered into Oedon Tomb to get wrecked by that Hunter in there and finished the second layer of the first Chalice Dungeon, game is tight though. Creepy as all hell if you're playing with headphones on.

He got Mako'd

I'm operating under the assumption that there's another woman that shows up to replace the other woman in Angel Beats.

I'm trying not to give away too much of the damn show, lmao.

But...(crazy epic spoiler alert)

They're all dead, and they are trapped in some sort of purgatory which is designed like a high school until they are finally able to let go of their past and move on unto the next life. Pink haired girl was paralyzed from the neck down in life, so in order to move on she tried doing a whole bunch a things she couldn't do in life like pro wrestling, baseball.. etc. All she wanted was someone to be there for her, thats where blue haired dude comes in... he confesses his love for her and she's finally able to come to peace then she disappears into her next life.

They're all dead, and they are trapped in some sort of purgatory which is designed like a high school until they are finally able to let go of their past and move on unto the next life. Pink haired girl was paralyzed from the neck down in life, so in order to move on she tried doing a whole bunch a things she couldn't do in life like pro wrestling, baseball.. etc. All she wanted was someone to be there for her, thats where blue haired dude comes in... he confesses his love for her and she's finally able to come to peace then she disappears into her next life.
This is what I get for thinking it's Tenchi Muyo.

Is that even a thing? I'd say everyone gets Bryked.

Or maybe Toriyama'd. Since Toriyama was the first to just fuck over a bunch of characters in his respective series. I was reading the DBZ new movie spoiler thread....hoh boy.
Vegeta gets jobbed again when this should've been his moment to shine?

According to what I've heard, I've come to the conclusion that the reason Vegeta gets jobbed and never has a meaningful win is because Toriyama doesn't like Vegeta. However, he's a prominent character because the fans loved him.

And anyways, everyone knows the single best character in the series is Piccolo. He makes the smartest decisions and does exactly what is needed at any given time. Plus he has some badass fights.

According to what I've heard, I've come to the conclusion that the reason Vegeta gets jobbed and never has a meaningful win is because Toriyama doesn't like Vegeta. However, he's a prominent character because the fans loved him.

And anyways, everyone knows the single best character in the series is Piccolo. He makes the smartest decisions and does exactly what is needed at any given time. Plus he has some badass fights.
Piccolo is the best dad on the show, then Vegeta.............................................................Goku.

Daemul

FML, that's worse than I could have imagined.
He'll pretty never see her again.

Vegeta gets jobbed again when this should've been his moment to shine?

NEW DBZ MOVIE SPOILERS

Not just Vegeta. Gohan gets KOd by one ki blast from Freiza. Knocks him out cold, so much so that everyone thinks he's dead. They have to revive him with a senzu bean.

Goku fights Freiza but can't beat him. Vegeta gets go the new God form or whatever the fuck and starts to beat Freiza. Vegeta is in total control and will beat Freiza, so Freiza destroys the planet, killing everyone except Goku and Whis (from the last movie). Whis can apparently control time so he takes Goku back three minutes before Freiza blows up the earth so that Goku can beat Freiza. The end.

I would say Future Trunks is the best character. He's got Gohans compassion, Gokus determination, Vegetas ferocity, he's smart. Does what needs to be done. Doesn't mess around with the androids or cell, or Freiza for that matter.

NEW DBZ MOVIE SPOILERS

Not just Vegeta. Gohan gets KOd by one ki blast from Freiza. Knocks him out cold, so much so that everyone thinks he's dead. They have to revive him with a senzu bean.

Goku fights Freiza but can't beat him. Vegeta gets go the new God form or whatever the fuck and starts to beat Freiza. Vegeta is in total control and will beat Freiza, so Freiza destroys the planet, killing everyone except Goku and Whis (from the last movie). Whis can apparently control time so he takes Goku back three minutes before Freiza blows up the earth so that Goku can beat Freiza. The end.

I would say Future Trunks is the best character. He's got Gohans compassion, Gokus determination, Vegetas ferocity, he's smart. Does what needs to be done. Doesn't mess around with the androids or cell, or Freiza for that matter.
Lol, that's bullshit!!! That's some bullshit ass bullshit.
tumblr_static_husky_face_.png

360pages

NEW DBZ MOVIE SPOILERS

Actually

Goku Beats Frieza, but he turns is back on him and one of Frieza's minions shoots him in the back. Damaging him badly, Frieza then beats Goku down before Vegeta jumps in and whoops him. Frieza gets mad and just destorys the planet and Whis rewinds time so Goku finished Frieza when he gets the chance.

Actually

Goku Beats Frieza, but he turns is back on him and one of Frieza's minions shoots him in the back. Damaging him badly, Frieza then beats Goku down before Vegeta jumps in and whoops him. Frieza gets mad and just destorys the planet and Whis rewinds time so Goku finished Frieza when he gets the chance.
Deus Whis Machina.

NEW DBZ MOVIE SPOILERS

Goku Wins... lolololol

FML, that's worse than I could have imagined.
He'll pretty never see her again.

yea... the ending of the anime almost made me tearbend. At least it's short and it has a nice amount of action so if anyone wants to give it a shot it's on Crunchyroll... used to be on U.S. Netflix until it got taken down

Actually

Ah, ok.

That's still some bullshit. Toriyama, the original Bryke.

OtnzLL8.gif

Is that for real? Wow.
Edit: revised events are slightly less unbelievable. Slightly.

Veelk

Banned
I got into Dragon Ball really late, so I actually started with the Buu saga and liked it a lot. Vegetas redemption, the fusions, buu's ever shifting character as he absorbs and disperses people and vegito, for his short appearance, was the funnest character the series ever had. It was fun and I don't see why people hate on it the way they do. Frieza is my favorite saga and cell was good too, but even if you like the other ones more than buu, it wasn't a crime against humanity.

Dbgt on the other hand...

I got into Dragon Ball really late, so I actually started with the Buu saga and liked it a lot. Vegetas redemption, the fusions, buu's ever shifting character as he absorbs and disperses people... It was fun and I don't see why people hate on it the way they do. Frieza is my favorite saga and cell was good too, but even if you like the other ones more than buu, it wasn't a crime against humanity.

Dbgt on the other hand...

Yeah Buu isn't bad per se, and as you mentioned it has some genuinely cool moments like the ones you mentioned. It's just that it ends with the "lord and savior Goku" saving the day. Gohan becomes a loser. Vegeta is a jobber. Everyone else is completely useless.

Like I said I don't hate the Buu saga but it's a bit disappointing compared to the previous arcs, which all have great payoffs like in Goku vs Freiza and Gohan vs Cell.

And yeah, GT is a steaming turd. Thankfully it's actually not canon.

Veelk

Banned
Vegeta's been a jobber since the ginyu's slapped his shit around so Goku could look good when he showed up to slap their shit. If anything, it's more interesting because his buu arc was him working through his jobberness, accepting it. Cell saga just had him impotently raging at his jobberness.

Gohan did get screwed, but tbh, I don't really care since I never liked Gohan. He was Goku without Goku's insanity, which made him no real fun.

Vegeta's been a jobber since the ginyu's slapped his shit around so Goku could look good when he showed up to slap their shit. If anything, it's more interesting because his buu arc was him working through his jobberness, accepting it. Cell saga just had him impotently raging at his jobberness.

Gohan did get screwed, but tbh, I don't really care since I never liked Gohan. He was Goku without Goku's insanity, which made him no real fun.

I liked Gohan because I was probably 11 years old as well when I witnessed the Cell saga on Toonami back in the day. Easier to identify with I guess. I thought that his triumph in that battle was a great payoff, given his arcs in the preceding sagas. I even liked the Saiyaman stuff because he was basically Spiderman. That had some potential but his character goes downhill as that saga continued. There was the glimmer of hope with his Mystic form but we all know how that ended.....

NEW DBZ MOVIE SPOILERS

Holy shit that's more stupid than I could have imagined. The revised version is not much better.

Future Trunks is okay at best. He has some cool shit, but Piccolo literally does every fucking thing he needs to. He is the single smartest character during the Cell saga (which is primarily a sequence of dumb decision after dumb decision). He doesn't make a single stupid decision. Everyone else is a moron, save for probably Tien.

-Trunks just lets Vegeta do whatever always, which ends up not being the best decision ever. Oh, and GT Trunks is basically Future Trunks, which is amazing since all he does is get bodied constantly. Trunks was very helpful warning about the Androids, but too bad he didn't give any description at all. That would have been super helpful, especially for the part where it turns out the Z Fighters killed the wrong Androids and actually triggered the appearances and activations of 18 and 17, rather than prevent them.
-Goku gives Cell a fucking Senzu Bean and then passes him off to his son
-Vegeta just...I can't even....Aside from killing Gero's one Android (19?), he doesn't do anything good aside from beefing up Trunks who, by the way, ends up getting fucked because they powered up WRONG. So it isn't even that good of a move on their part, because the upgrades turn out to be garbage. Then, he does some stupid shit after Cell hits Trunks, and then Gohan saves him. This injures Gohan, which causes Gohan to need help in the first place, but that only happened because VEGETA'S A FUCKING DICK.
-Gohan...well, he's Gohan. Teen Gohan is my favorite Gohan and all, but he's Gohan. He ain't doing much until he goes SSj2.
-Krillin's to busy chasing tail with 18
-Yamcha is Yamcha
-Tien holds off Cell with his Ki Blast Cannon. Almost killed him, too. So, props there.

Veelk

Banned
I do credit dbz (and pokemon and digimon) for one trope I now always like seeing: visual character development.

When characters in those shows transformed, it wasn't just a power up in and of itself, but the marker of character progression. Charmeleon becoming charities made him a jerk. Agumon digovolved into skullgreymon when wrongly forced to grow, and metalgreymon when Tai overcame his fear. And Goku and Gohan transformed when they accepted their saiyan heritage.

I even enjoy a subtle version of this on sophisticated shows, like the visual design of Walt from breaking bad or Will in Hannibal. It's a really cool trope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom