• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
Do still watch arrow?

Would like to hear your thoughts on it.

I stopped like...5 episodes ago? The one where Oliver got stabbed. I've stopped all my shows, and I've been catching up on them. I just finished watching Agent Carter, Agents of Shield.....next up is Gotham. Really not looking forward to getting back into Arrow and Flash. I am more tolerant of Flash's idiocy, so I'll probably watch that, but Arrow is so horrific it actually offends me at points. So I'll see.

I bet it has to do with how poorly the women on Arrow are portrayed.

I wouldn't disagree with him.

That's a big part of it, but there are so many other points. Most recent example would be cupid. Without realizing it, the writers now have Oliver endorsing slavery. Of the mentally disturbed no less. I could buy the suicide squad existing as a secret organization in the universe, maybe even one other superheroes ahve no way of dismantling, but what the hell else do you call taking someone who has an explicit mental disorder that makes her radically unstable and placing her under the care of someone you know will install a bomb in her head to force her to go on dangerous missions that she never consented to? And he just does it with a shrug of "Well, atleast she can do some good there." Like, holy shit, it blows my mind how the writers can have oliver doing stuff even some of the most dispicable villains would cringe at and still call him a hero.

It's a extremely unlikable show on many fronts. Not that it's just badly written, but it's gross in it's content.

He ain't no Atticus Finch, but Tonraq was pretty bad ass at least.

Then again he basically imprisoned his daughter for years.
Well, Atticus Finch is the best shot in town.

And that wasn't Tonraq's decision. It was the White Lotus. Probably reinforced after the Red Lotus tried to kidnap Korra.
By dead beat I mean fathers that aren't at home with their kids/abandoned their kids.

To be fair I forgot about Ryugen because that fucker hasen't done anything this arc even though he should.

He might be a bit distant with Uryu but at-least he there for him.
Eh, just because a parent isn't there doesn't mean they're a deadbeat. If they're continuing to provide for the family in some way, even at a distance, I still wouldn't say they're a deadbeat.

A dad who spends most of his time away from home, but still supports the family financially at the very least, isn't a deadbeat in my eyes. Incredibly distant, but still not a deadbeat. At least he's doing something.

Ergo, Ging can go fuck himself. Leorio had the right idea.
Greatness is forged in fire.
And brimstone
Do still watch arrow?

Would like to hear your thoughts on it.
I bet it has to do with how poorly the women on Arrow are portrayed.

I wouldn't disagree with him.

Ray Down

Banned
I stopped like...5 episodes ago? The one where Oliver got stabbed. I've stopped all my shows, and I've been catching up on them. I just finished watching Agent Carter, Agents of Shield.....next up is Gotham. Really not looking forward to getting back into Arrow and Flash. I am more tolerant of Flash's idiocy, so I'll probably watch that, but Arrow is so horrific it actually offends me at points. So I'll see.

How is Agent Carter and Shield? Heard just both are alright, and Carter is kinda boring.

Yeah I'm just not feeling Arrow this season, the league of assassins are just not that interesting, one of the better characters got killed and was replaced with someone worse, ollie sister got even more annoying. I mean I know its a joke but Ollie is seriously Batman this season.

I'm at the point where if it doesn't improve or the season finale isn't good this show is getting dropped.

I'm like 6 episodes behind on Flash but its a bit better then Arrow season one which was just okay.

How is Agent Carter and Shield? Heard just both are alright, and Carter is kinda boring.
No one's opinion is going to be better than your own. AoS has a slow start to S1, and then it ramps up and keeps going all the way until now (and assumedly will keep going).

AC is nice and condensed, rather fast, and keeps moving.

Those are the best descriptions I can give, since I have no idea about your tastes at all.

Ray Down

Banned
No one's opinion is going to be better than your own. AoS has a slow start to S1, and then it ramps up and keeps going all the way until now (and assumedly will keep going).

AC is nice and condensed, rather fast, and keeps moving.

Those are the best descriptions I can give, since I have no idea about your tastes at all.

I know, my opinion is the most important, but it always helps to get more views even if you don't agree.

Hell if I let some people's opinions get to me I'd love in Inuyasha.

I've only seen shield season one and it was just very slow and boring so I dropped it for now.

I haven't seen Carter.

I know, my opinion is the most important, but it always helps to get more views even if you don't agree.

Hell if I let some people's opinions get to me I'd love in Inuyasha.

I've only seen shield season one and it was just very slow and boring so I dropped it for now.

I haven't seen Carter.
How far in to S1?

If I remember right it was episode 8.

One of the last episodes before 2014

Let's see...episode 8 is....ah, The Well. Yup, seems about right. Episode 10 is where that season really gets in gear. I can't defend it. I re-watched S1 about a month ago, and it was way slower than I recall, mainly because I've enjoyed the show a lot since the beginning.

Basically, episode 10 is where it picks up, and I can't defend the pacing before that point. Regardless, if you get to that episode, from that point on it's a good ride and a strong showing. S2 is significantly better in that regard.

angry joe being angry

I guess Nintendo is doing something kind of shitty but at the same time they're totally 100% within their rights

so in reality it's angry joe getting a lot of views/money from his rant video

Basically this. Though I don't mind about him making money from the youtubes, it is his job.

About Nintendo being in their rights a 100%, it is arguable for and against. It is their games. On the other hand, "Fair Use" protects "artists/performers" on the use of material that are considered "trans-formative", which the playing/commentary of games is considered to be. I'm just waiting for the actual legal battle to between these two legal aspects to end of cyclic debates on this subject matter.

Most likely Nintendo would be in that legal battle with a youtuber. Since they are pretty much the only company doing that particular youtube policy. Although, no current youtuber[games based] has the money&balls to get involved in a legal dispute. Plus, the relative irrelevancy of Nintendo games in terms of material for youtube monies makes the legal engagement a bad business decision. It is more money-making and safer to create rant videos about Nintendo than the commenting/playing their games. As such, the cycle precedes as per usual.

That's a big part of it, but there are so many other points. Most recent example would be cupid. Without realizing it, the writers now have Oliver endorsing slavery. Of the mentally disturbed no less. I could buy the suicide squad existing as a secret organization in the universe, maybe even one other superheroes ahve no way of dismantling, but what the hell else do you call taking someone who has an explicit mental disorder that makes her radically unstable and placing her under the care of someone you know will install a bomb in her head to force her to go on dangerous missions that she never consented to? And he just does it with a shrug of "Well, atleast she can do some good there." Like, holy shit, it blows my mind how the writers can have oliver doing stuff even some of the most dispicable villains would cringe at and still call him a hero.

It's a extremely unlikable show on many fronts. Not that it's just badly written, but it's gross in it's content.
Damn...you make Arrow sound like dog shit.

Hamlet

Arrow is alright, I got bored of it in season 2 though.

Interesting that's pretty much its best season. I dropped out around episode 2 for season 3. I'll probably binge watch it once the season is finished. Though it seem season 3 hasn't been that great from some of the posts I see in the Flash thread.

Hamlet

Oh lord. I'm better off just watching Hannibal.

Yep go with that one. You won't be disappointed, easily one of the best shows on TV right now.
Make Hannibal happy.
tumblr_inline_mnddj6hwqD1qz4rgp.gif

I enjoy Arrow for the most part. This season has been rocky as shit, but it's entertaining to me. I enjoy the action and the comic book-ness of it all. There are other, far better shows in that style though.

Veelk

Banned
Damn...you make Arrow sound like dog shit.

It is. It can obviously be enjoyed to some extent, and I am no stranger to liking bad shows myself. But there is no getting around that Arrow is dog shit.

If you are craving good Green Arrow action, go read Lemire's comic book run on the character. Anything good about the show can be found in here and typically better and the art is amazing.

If you want good superhero action in general, though he's not really a superhero, person of interest is the far superior show, not just to arrow, but most comic book heroes in general.

Shield starts off very slow and gimmicky, but by the second half of the first season, it really kicks into gear and hasn't stopped since. If anything, I'm worried it might be a bit too fast paced currently, with twists and mysteries being resolved within episodes of their reveal, but it hasn't tripped up yet.

Agent Carter is a short series, only 8 episodes long, and much more lowkey. It doesn't have as much flash as AoS. But it works with what it has and Peggy's character development is well handled. Given she is a woman in the 1950's expect sexism to be a somewhat large point, but it's handled with enough nuance. The obvious 'ur jus a woman, peggy' character turns into something more by the end of the series, same with the 'nice guy' character. But that's not the pillar of the show, it's the espionage action set in the marvel universe, so it's good fun.

I find both of them to be head and shoulders above Arrow and Flash.

I have to address the Cupid thing: There was no future for Cupid. She had been committed before and killed her psychiatrist, if I'm remembering correctly. She then goes out and kills a lot of people. While as distasteful as you may find it, the Suicide Squad was her best option. It's either that, or she spends life in prison with no hopes of getting out. Or gets the death penalty, as we know that whatever state Starling City is in carries the death penalty. Besides, she probably would have broken out. She's smart, manipulative, and a good fighter.

The idea behind the Suicide Squad is this: Take criminals who are sentenced to either life in prison without parole or on death row, and send them on black ops missions regarding the safety of the U.S. The offer is this: your sentence gets reduced with every successful mission, essentially giving those who have no chance to get out of prison an opportunity to do some good. The bomb is there as a failsafe. So, if you don't die in combat, and you aren't killed by Waller, then you'll eventually get the chance to leave. Simple as that.

It's scummy, but there's a purpose behind it and for better or for worse, Cupid is a part of that. Now, if you have a problem with Oliver giving her up directly to Waller, that I can understand. It's not the most kosher thing in the world, and rather surprising considering his relationship with Waller isn't a positive one. It was always a decision that baffled me.

Veelk

Banned
I have to address the Cupid thing: There was no future for Cupid. She had been committed before and killed her psychiatrist, if I'm remembering correctly. She then goes out and kills a lot of people. While as distasteful as you may find it, the Suicide Squad was her best option. It's either that, or she spends life in prison with no hopes of getting out. Or gets the death penalty, as we know that whatever state Starling City is in carries the death penalty. Besides, she probably would have broken out. She's smart, manipulative, and a good fighter.

The idea behind the Suicide Squad is this: Take criminals who are sentenced to either life in prison without parole or on death row, and send them on black ops missions regarding the safety of the U.S. The offer is this: your sentence gets reduced with every successful mission, essentially giving those who have no chance to get out of prison an opportunity to do some good. The bomb is there as a failsafe. So, if you don't die in combat, and you aren't killed by Waller, then you'll eventually get the chance to leave. Simple as that.

It's scummy, but there's a purpose behind it and for better or for worse, Cupid is a part of that. Now, if you have a problem with Oliver giving her up directly to Waller, that I can understand. It's not the most kosher thing in the world, and rather surprising considering his relationship with Waller isn't a positive one. It was always a decision that baffled me.

Well, I have to give you that. This is why we indiscriminately execute any prisoner that has ever escaped, right? Or wait, maybe I'm remembering it wrong and we just put them back in jail with higher security measures. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the second one, now that I think of it. Same thing with the therapy, one doesn't work, that doesn't mean all therapy is useless. If she somehow is that un-imprisonable, then Ollie should just throw her in the island prison. Or what, he thinks it can hold mother fucking Deathstroke, but this tiny insane archer is too much for it? I'm supposed to believe waller is the ONLY option here? Give me a break.

The difference between her and other criminals is that her crimes are committed out of a delusion. Not that it would mean she doesn't get jailtime or anything, but it does mean she isn't rational enough to make a honest decision about being on the suicide squad. It's not like deadshot who is a normal criminal, she's literally unstable, and that's bad for everyone. On a dangerous mission, she could very well just wander off to do whatever because of her mental illness because she isn't thinking in practical terms like "if I leave, my head will blow up" or "I shouldn't just start shooting innocent people because lol". It doesn't matter how 'smart' they are. A person can have all the bomb knowledge in the world, if they have an anxiety disorder, you don't put them on a bomb squad. It's just asking for the person to have a fit at a critical moment that is going to get both them and everyone else killed. That's what mental disturbance is, the inability to think rationally enough to live functionally. The reward part of this deal is also something that doesn't really work. Assuming that Waller keeps her word, if Deadshot gets released, he has a chance to go back to a normal life because he wants to be with his daughter. And that's a really big if, because I don't know if I'd trust the word of someone whose entire mission in life is to fuck the rules so they can kill as many 'bad guys' as they deem fit. But supposing she does, what's going to happen? If Cupid somehow gets through all the missions and gets released, what is the first thing she is going to do? Go to a normal life? Mental disorders don't just go away like that, they have to be managed. If you just throw her back into society, she's just going to start doing what she was doing before with a bunch of corpses lining the street.

But as stupid as all that is, yes, I am specficially calling out Ollie for putting her on there. Aside from it making little sense as a character thing, as you said, given he and waller have a shitty relationship, the motherfucker is playing judge and jury because apparently he's given himself that privileged now, and he doesn't see anything wrong with handing bodies over to someone who coerces people into doing what she wants because she'll kill them without any reprecussions if they don't. That is fucking slavery and it is infuriating how the next episode Ollie whines to himself if he's a good person, his friends assuring him that yes, he's fantastic. The writers of Arrow have at this point tried to sell the audience on killing, torture, and enslavement of people being noble and even pragmatic endeavors and it's getting just getting repugnant to watch at this point.

Well, I have to give you that. This is why we indiscriminately execute any prisoner that has ever escaped, right? Or wait, maybe I'm remembering it wrong and we just put them back in jail with higher security measures. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the second one, now that I think of it. Same thing with the therapy, one doesn't work, that doesn't mean all therapy is useless. If she somehow is that un-imprisonable, then Ollie should just throw her in the island prison. Or what, he thinks it can hold mother fucking Deathstroke, but this tiny insane archer is too much for it? I'm supposed to believe waller is the ONLY option here? Give me a break.

The difference between her and other criminals is that her crimes are committed out of a delusion. Not that it would mean she doesn't get jailtime or anything, but it does mean she isn't rational enough to make a honest decision about being on the suicide squad. It's not like deadshot who is a normal criminal, she's literally unstable, and that's bad for everyone. On a dangerous mission, she could very well just wander off to do whatever because of her mental illness because she isn't thinking in practical terms like "if I leave, my head will blow up" or "I shouldn't just start shooting innocent people because lol". It doesn't matter how 'smart' they are. A person can have all the bomb knowledge in the world, if they have an anxiety disorder, you don't put them on a bomb squad. It's just asking for the person to have a fit at a critical moment that is going to get both them and everyone else killed. That's what mental disturbance is, the inability to think rationally enough to live functionally. The reward part of this deal is also something that doesn't really work. Assuming that Waller keeps her word, if Deadshot gets released, he has a chance to go back to a normal life because he wants to be with his daughter. And that's a really big if, because I don't know if I'd trust the word of someone whose entire mission in life is to fuck the rules so they can kill as many 'bad guys' as they deem fit. But supposing she does, what's going to happen? If Cupid somehow gets through all the missions and gets released, what is the first thing she is going to do? Go to a normal life? Mental disorders don't just go away like that, they have to be managed. If you just throw her back into society, she's just going to start doing what she was doing before with a bunch of corpses lining the street.

But as stupid as all that is, yes, I am specficially calling out Ollie for putting her on there. Aside from it making little sense as a character thing, as you said, given he and waller have a shitty relationship, the motherfucker is playing judge and jury because apparently he's given himself that privileged now, and he doesn't see anything wrong with handing bodies over to someone who coerces people into doing what she wants because she'll kill them without any reprecussions if they don't. That is fucking slavery and it is infuriating how the next episode Ollie whines to himself if he's a good person, his friends assuring him that yes, he's fantastic. The writers of Arrow have at this point tried to sell the audience on how killing, torture, and enslavement of people as noble and even pragmatic and it's getting just getting repugnant to watch at this point.

Haha I didn't say Waller was the only option. I'm just saying, there was no real future for her outside of a lifetime of commitment. I've already stated that the Suicide Squad is scummy as hell. So is Waller.

I'm curious as to why you keep watching Arrow and The Flash if you dislike them oh so much? Is it some sort of obligation? I recall seeing you post in the threads for Arrow a ways back, and you expressed significant dislike every single time. Why bother?

Veelk

Banned
Haha I didn't say Waller was the only option. I'm just saying, there was no real future for her outside of a lifetime of commitment. I've already stated that the Suicide Squad is scummy as hell. So is Waller.

I'm curious as to why you keep watching Arrow and The Flash if you dislike them oh so much? Is it some sort of obligation? I recall seeing you post in the threads for Arrow a ways back, and you expressed significant dislike every single time. Why bother?

I'm not trying to 'save' Cupid in any way, I'm just saying that putting her on the suicide squad is both stupid and evil. Even if she somehow managed to plea the insanity defense, many states would sentence her to life in prison. I'd be perfectly fine with that. At least then she'd get a trial and her fate would be society sanctioned.

As for why I watch, I just don't like dropping shows period. I've watched True Blood up to season 5 when I hated it since season 1. I eventually had to take a break, because I had to leave for Europe for a few months, and when I came back, I just didn't feel motivation to catch up on episodes. But once I set a habit for watching something, it's difficult for me to stop on my own.

As for why I watch, I just don't like dropping shows period. I've watched True Blood when I hated it since season 1. I eventually had to take a break, because I had to leave for Europe for a few months, and when I came back, I just didn't feel motivation to catch up on episodes. But once I set a habit for watching something, it's difficult for me to stop.

That sounds terrible.

Just....just stop. Like, no one will fight you.

It's okay.

The war's over.

You can go home now.

Ray Down

Banned
Honestly if I don't see any improvement in Arrow season 4 I just going too drop the show until it ends, which since its on CW they will run the show way into the ground like alot of there shows.

Plus now there going to be more arrow spin-offs and supergirl, they might be spread too thin.

Honestly if I don't see any improvement in Arrow season 4 I just going too drop the show until it ends, which since its on CW they will run the show way into the ground like alot of there shows.

Plus now there going to be more arrow spin-offs and supergirl, they might be spread too thin.

They already have.

Ray Down

Banned
They already have.

Makes me worried about the quality of shows they have now.

If they want these new shows to take off they need to prioritize those shows above all others. Especially Super girl since it will be on a big time network, which means less time for Arrow and Flash.

Arrow took a nosedive this season compared to season 2, which Flash had some part in (wanting to get Flash off the ground) and even though I see people praising Flash so far its only a bit better then Arrow season 1 which is nothing to write home about.

And now there are like three more shows they have to work on.

I need to watch more TV (never thought I'd ever say that), because all these shows on TV I have no idea what yall be talking about.

I got into the 100 all late because of that shit and I had to find somewhere to watch all the episodes.

I need to watch more TV (never thought I'd ever say that), because all these shows on TV I have no idea what yall be talking about.

I got into the 100 all late because of that shit and I had to find somewhere to watch all the episodes.
I watch mostly animes. Fuck looking at real life people, though some shows at least have me interested.

I just started watching the last airbender, I saw Korra before it and I gotta say 3 episodes in it's not grabbing me as well.

Not sure why I was more drawn to Korra than Aang, might be an age thing. But again, 3 episodes in lol. Anything could change. Just felt like sharing that.

Daemul

This is exactly what I'm always on the verge of posting

You guys aren't missing out on much tbh, most shows end up going to shit at some point, so it's probably for the best that you don't invest hours into them before you eventually stop watching because the show became crap.

I just started watching the last airbender, I saw Korra before it and I gotta say 3 episodes in it's not grabbing me as well.

Not sure why I was more drawn to Korra than Aang, might be an age thing. But again, 3 episodes in lol. Anything could change. Just felt like sharing that.

The beginning of ATLA is a lot more kiddy and cheesy. It gets real thtough.

-Deimos

The quality of Flash skyrockets after the first few episodes. I mean, it was good in the beginning, but now it's just amazing.

Arrow is meh.

Keep watching. Shit definitely gets real.

Totally feel you man. Stick with The Last Airbender for a few more episodes. It starts out kind of kiddy and childish but grows up real fast. Trust me, it will be worth it. I've never met or heard of anyone who has watched the entire thing and not liked it.

Season one is definitely the weakest part of Avatar The Last Airbender but it really picks up around halfway through the 1st season. The show is legitimately one of the best animated series to come out of the west.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom