• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit that's more stupid than I could have imagined. The revised version is not much better.

Future Trunks is okay at best. He has some cool shit, but Piccolo literally does every fucking thing he needs to. He is the single smartest character during the Cell saga (which is primarily a sequence of dumb decision after dumb decision). He doesn't make a single stupid decision. Everyone else is a moron, save for probably Tien.

-Trunks just lets Vegeta do whatever always, which ends up not being the best decision ever. Oh, and GT Trunks is basically Future Trunks, which is amazing since all he does is get bodied constantly. Trunks was very helpful warning about the Androids, but too bad he didn't give any description at all. That would have been super helpful, especially for the part where it turns out the Z Fighters killed the wrong Androids and actually triggered the appearances and activations of 18 and 17, rather than prevent them.
-Goku gives Cell a fucking Senzu Bean and then passes him off to his son
-Vegeta just...I can't even....Aside from killing Gero's one Android (19?), he doesn't do anything good aside from beefing up Trunks who, by the way, ends up getting fucked because they powered up WRONG. So it isn't even that good of a move on their part, because the upgrades turn out to be garbage. Then, he does some stupid shit after Cell hits Trunks, and then Gohan saves him. This injures Gohan, which causes Gohan to need help in the first place, but that only happened because VEGETA'S A FUCKING DICK.
-Gohan...well, he's Gohan. Teen Gohan is my favorite Gohan and all, but he's Gohan. He ain't doing much until he goes SSj2.
-Krillin's to busy chasing tail with 18
-Yamcha is Yamcha
-Tien holds off Cell with his Ki Blast Cannon. Almost killed him, too. So, props there.

Well..Piccolo does allow Cell to escape. You're right that Future Trunks should have given a description but he changed the timeline regardless. He didn't even know about 16. I just really liked Future Trunks in the History of Trunks movie, and in DBZ when he goes back to his own time and destroys Cell and the Androids. Doesn't fuck around when he can. And to he fair he totally tries to fight Vegeta when Vegeta wanted to let Cell absorb 18. Even blasts him across the ocean lol.

Well..Piccolo does allow Cell to escape. You're right that Future Trunks should have given a description but he changed the timeline regardless. He didn't even know about 16. I just really liked Future Trunks in the History of Trunks movie, and in DBZ when he goes back to his own time and destroys Cell and the Androids. Doesn't fuck around when he can. And to he fair he totally tries to fight Vegeta when Vegeta wanted to let Cell absorb 18. Even blasts him across the ocean lol.
If I recall, Piccolo let Cell escape because it was either that, or some other bad bullshit happens, then Cell Solar Flares out of there. He almost killed Cell, otherwise. I think he left to go stop 17 and 18, actually.

Solar Flare: The single most effective ability in the series. I'm pretty sure it works 100% of the time.

360pages

Well, both the Cell and the Buu Saga is pretty much a series of bad decisions one after another.

The Buu saga particularly was pretty much everyone getting a chance to stop/kill Buu but wasting it. I actually didn't mind it too much since it was very much in all of their characters.

If I recall, Piccolo let Cell escape because it was either that, or some other bad bullshit happens, then Cell Solar Flares out of there. He almost killed Cell, otherwise. I think he left to go stop 17 and 18, actually.

Solar Flare: The single most effective ability in the series. I'm pretty sure it works 100% of the time.

Lol, yeah that was it.

If you guys want to talk about bad parents in Korra, what about Goku?

Worst parent ever? Abandons his family multiple times to pursue his own interests. Giving Cell a senzu bean before he fights Gohan. Not killing Fat Buu so that other people can fight him. The list goes on and on. That actually turned me off his character a bit lol, the family stuff in particular.

Lol, yeah that was it.

Worst parent ever? Abandons his family multiple times to pursue his own interests. Giving Cell a senzu bean before he fights Gohan. Not killing Fat Buu so that other people can fight him. The list goes on and on. That actually turned me off his character a bit lol.
I mean Ging Freecs in HxH and Shinji's dad in Evangelion.

360pages

Lol, yeah that was it.

Worst parent ever? Abandons his family multiple times to pursue his own interests. Giving Cell a senzu bean before he fights Gohan. Not killing Fat Buu so that other people can fight him. The list goes on and on. That actually turned me off his character a bit lol, the family stuff in particular.

I can understand the Buu thing...He was dead, so he didn't want the Earth to always rely on him for its troubles. He died and he died thinking that the Earth would be safe in Gohan and the others hands since he saved it like, 3 times up to that point.

It wasn't his fault that Gohan stopped training completely. (Which is fine Since Gohan flat out stated he didn't like fighting, and only did it...too bad he was in a series completely about fighting.)

Well, both the Cell and the Buu Saga is pretty much a series of bad decisions one after another.

The Buu saga particularly was pretty much everyone getting a chance to stop/kill Buu but wasting it. I actually didn't mind it too much since it was very much in all of their characters.

The Buu Saga...whoo boy. That...yeah. I dunno. It's weird as shit, because Buu is also stupidly OP.

I'm not even sure how Buu works anymore. I never liked his design, I never liked him as a villain, I just don't like him.

360pages

The Buu Saga...whoo boy. That...yeah. I dunno. It's weird as shit, because Buu is also stupidly OP.

I'm not even sure how Buu works anymore. I never liked his design, I never liked him as a villain, I just don't like him.

That was probably because unlike the other villains he was pretty much just 3 separate characters that shared Buu in their name. Majin Buu, Super Buu, and Kid Buu had such different personalities and goals that things got muddled.

His character changed to fit the situation that was needed.

Majin Buu didn't want to kill anyone anymore? Time to change him to Super Buu. Super Buu wouldn't freak out and blow up the planet? Time to change him to Kid Buu and remove Gohan from beating him.

Not to get started with Super Buu's random ability to just absorb people without any hint to it whatsoever before. Outside of Evil Buu eating Majin Buu...(Even then it was a completely different)

I can understand the Buu thing...He was dead, so he didn't want the Earth to always rely on him for its troubles. He died and he died thinking that the Earth would be safe in Gohan and the others hands since he saved it like, 3 times up to that point.

It wasn't his fault that Gohan stopped training completely. (Which is fine Since Gohan flat out stated he didn't like fighting, and only did it...too bad he was in a series completely about fighting.)

I meant when he transforms to SSJ3 for the first time in front of Fat Buu. He could've beaten him right there and then. But he doesn't. I can understand him staying dead after the Cell games but it still irks me a little when you have that option to be resurrected.

Agreed. The whole "can regenerate from a single cell" thing was interesting with Cell, but Buu felt like a rehash of that conflict/problem. The multiple forms were kind of interesting but I didn't like how he was just a force of evil that could barely speak (until he absorbs Piccolo). At least Cell could articulate his thoughts. I liked how he wanted to test the warriors of earth to see his own power and tried to coax Gohan into releasing his. Makes him a bit interesting at least. And I liked Cells arrogance. I particularly liked his line right before he kills 16, "Eugh. This sentimental downpour is killing me". Always gets me.

360pages

The thing that makes DBZ villains so entertaining is that they are evil...like super evil. Like complete monsters with no redeemable qualities. Frieza and Cell fit that to a T. They are monsters with no sob stories. A lot of series always need a reason why their bad guys are evil.

(Oddly enough I felt that Korra suffered from this somewhat with a lot of their villains,)

Buu however, just felt like a mindless monster.

Agreed. The whole "can regenerate from a single cell" thing was interesting with Cell, but Buu felt like a rehash of that conflict/problem. The multiple forms were kind of interesting but I didn't like how he was just a force of evil that could barely speak (until he absorbs Piccolo). At least Cell could articulate his thoughts. I liked how he wanted to test the warriors of earth to see his own power and tried to coax Gohan into releasing his. Makes him a bit interesting at least. And I liked Cells arrogance. I particularly liked his line right before he kills 16, "Eugh. This sentimental downpour is killing me". Always gets me.

With Cell, it was his gimmick. He was a constructed killing machine that was highly adaptable. The problem? He had a fully realized persona. He was prideful, he wanted to fight, to prove himself as the strongest. Like other characters' personas also were in him in addition to their genetic capabilities and fighting techniques. It was cool.

But Buu...like 360 said, Buu was just a mindless monster that changed to fit the scenario. Majin Buu is the Doomsday of DBZ.

I mean Ging Freecs in HxH and Shinji's dad in Evangelion.
tumblr_mjkuphDEaK1r22ad2o1_500.png

Korra+get+in+the+fuckin+robot+while+looking+for+some_da6ae9_4927499.png

Suyin is lucky Kuvira didn't just blitzkrieg the fuck out of her city. "Rebuild this shit now bitch!!"

Gendo is certainly not the best but he better then other anime fathers.

Ging is nothing but a dead beat that does everything he can to avoid his son.

Ging's whole thing is that he wants his son to earn their meeting. He wants Gon to prove he's a great hunter. He wants it to be worthwhile. He's a shit dad, truly he is, but he wants Gon to live his life and have fun. It doesn't help that because of Togashi's infuriating-ass breaks, we don't know much about Ging aside from the fact that he's basically a top tier Hunter who does what he wants. And we have no idea what that is.

Gendo is a fuck.

Ray Down

Banned
No that I think about it alot of anime dads are complete dead beats.

I mean the only two I can think of that aren't are Light dad in Isshin (lol bleach).

Gendo is certainly not the best but he better then other anime fathers.

Ging is nothing but a dead beat that does everything he can to avoid his son.
Who the hell could possibly be worse than Gendo? He fucked up his son,
created a clone of his wife, fondled Rei for god knows what reason, he don't give two fucks about anybody, just straight uses the Akagi women

Veelk

Banned
I forget, do we view Tenzin as a decent parent, or do we give him shit for that too? He atleast didn't seem actively harmful toward them.

Ray Down

Banned
He ain't no Atticus Finch, but Tonraq was pretty bad ass at least.

Then again he basically imprisoned his daughter for years.

I could have sworn it was more of the white lotus decision? my memeory may be a bit off.

If it was Tonraq, while I don't agree with him I can see why he did it. I mean his daughter was nearly kidnapped by basically a super powered anti-government group for who knows what.

I forget, do we view Tenzin as a decent parent, or do we give him shit for that too? He atleast didn't seem actively harmful toward them.

Nah Tenzin is a good dad, he might have a stick up his ass but he cares and is there for his kids. Plus he isn't actively/did things to scar his children or make there lives harder for them unlike a good amount of parents in ATLA/LOK.

Ray Down

Banned
Who the hell could possibly be worse than Gendo? He fucked up his son,
created a clone of his wife, fondled Rei for god knows what reason, he don't give two fucks about anybody, just straight uses the Akagi women

While not in anime these fathers are just as bad if not worse: Hojo, Relius Clover and Heiachi.

I think I found Toa's tumblr...

It's empty. How he gonna properly worship his waifu without a proper shrine on tumblr.

He dosen't need tumblr shire for his waifu, especially since he has one at home.

Ray Down

Banned
Define "dead beat," because you bring up Isshin, but Uryu's dad isn't a dead beat either.

By dead beat I mean fathers that aren't at home with their kids/abandoned their kids.

To be fair I forgot about Ryugen because that fucker hasen't done anything this arc even though he should.

He might be a bit distant with Uryu but at-least he there for him.

While not in anime these fathers are just as bad if not worse: Hojo, Relius Clover and Heiachi.

He dosen't need tumblr shire for his waifu, especially since he has one at home.

Heihachi Mishima is a great father, I mean if my dad threw me off a cliff during my childhood to prove my strength I know he loves me.... then he throws me into a volcano, great parenting.

And yea true, Toa's bedroom is a Kuvira shrine.

Veelk

Banned
Heihachi Mishima is a great father, I mean if my dad threw me off a cliff during my childhood to prove my strength I know he loves me.... then he throws me into a volcano, great parenting.

And yea true, Toa's bedroom is a Kuvira shrine.

You mean yours didn't? I thought it was tradition. Mine threw me off a speeding car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom