• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started watching the last airbender, I saw Korra before it and I gotta say 3 episodes in it's not grabbing me as well.

Not sure why I was more drawn to Korra than Aang, might be an age thing. But again, 3 episodes in lol. Anything could change. Just felt like sharing that.
Give it a couple of eps, the first few aren't the best but it eventually picks up and finds its flow pretty well. Once you make it to season 2 you're in for an experience.

Ray Down

Banned
I just started watching the last airbender, I saw Korra before it and I gotta say 3 episodes in it's not grabbing me as well.

Not sure why I was more drawn to Korra than Aang, might be an age thing. But again, 3 episodes in lol. Anything could change. Just felt like sharing that.

It takes about half way through season 1 to pick up.

Season 2 is great through out.

Season 3 alot like season one where its rocky in the begining although it dosen't last as long but has a weaker end.

Stick with it, I did the same thing too and watched Korra before ATLA. Shit will definitely get real

360pages

Season 1 is easily the weakest. Though I don't mind the filler in Seasons 3 since character development and fleshing them out. Some I felt the Korra characters kind of lacked.

Also, One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 is harder than I thought. Not super hard, but I have to be aware of my health and stuff. (Playing on Hard Mode)

I didn't with ATLA/LOK

But i basically do this with alot of shows/stuff.

Started OP at Amazon Lily, Uncharted 2, Chapter Black for Yu Yu, etc etc.

Hell my first Evangelion episode was the last one.
Wow...I'm shocked you stuck with YYH during Chapter Black, that's one messed up season in a good way. So much character development came off the back of that season in my opinion which led into the spirit world tournament. Still my favorite Shounen show.

Thanks for all the reassuring comments. I mean I'm still enjoying it it's just lamer when it's alll cheese. But still enjoyable so it's good to know it gets a lot better. I don't know why I never watched it considering I watch every decent tv show whether it's animates or not :p

Just lazy.

Ray Down

Banned
Thanks for all the reassuring comments. I mean I'm still enjoying it it's just lamer when it's alll cheese. But still enjoyable so it's good to know it gets a lot better. I don't know why I never watched it considering I watch every decent tv show whether it's animates or not :p

Just lazy.

I can't blame you, I watched the earlier episodes like a year ago and I agree. But as we said that changes.

Ray Down

Banned
Wow...I'm shocked you stuck with YYH during Chapter Black, that's one messed up season in a good way. So much character development came off the back of that season in my opinion which led into the spirit world tournament. Still my favorite Shounen show.

Yu Yu is easily my favorite old shounen anime. Much better then DB and DBZ, the anime actually gives us a final arc.

To be fair I saw like five episodes before Toonami ripped it off the air.

Yu Yu is easily my favorite old shounen anime. Much better then DB and DBZ, the anime actually gives us a final arc.

To be fair I saw like five episodes before Toonami ripped it off the air.
I didn't even get that far. Pretty much when Chapter Black started getting really god damn weird was when they took it off and moved it to late as fuck. I own all on DVD and currently buying it in Blu ray as well. I put money into YYH, not DBZ though. Hiei is what Vegeta wishes he was.

Ray Down

Banned
I didn't even get that far. Pretty much when Chapter Black started getting really god damn weird was when they took it off and moved it to late as fuck. I own all on DVD and currently buying it in Blu ray as well. I put money into YYH, not DBZ though. Hiei is what Vegeta wishes he was.

I got all the seasons on Blu-ray and it still a fun watch much better then my rewatch of DBZ. Wish I could say the same for the movies.

I know Veelk probably wouldn't agree with me but I prefer the main cast of Yu Yu to HxH.

Which reminds me, ive never talked about my thoughts on Korra will get more into that tomarrow.

Also who is responsible for the lack of commentary on the Avatar dvds?

I mean there are only two commentaries in all three seasons is the 15 minute pilot and the finale.

Veelk

Banned
Dunno why you say that. YYH has it's own issues, but it's a wonderful series all the same, particularly because it's 4 mains are so damn good.

Ray Down

Banned
Dunno why you say that. YYH has it's own issues, but it's a wonderful series all the same, particularly because it's 4 mains are so damn good.

You be surprised how much shit Ive gotten for saying that.

Like only three people have agreed with me on that, and the other venomously disagree with me and then it devolves into people saying I have shit taste.

I love how Hiei and Kurama can pretty much body any foe minus the main villain with the exception of a few key fights. Kuwabara has potential but the show never went into it. Yusuke is a great high school punk protagonist. It's way better than DBZ.
You be surprised how much shit Ive gotten for saying that.

Like only three people have agreed with me on that, and the other venomously disagree with me and then it devolves into people saying I have shit taste.
Fuck them if liking YYH is wrong I don't want to be right. If anything it shows that they just wanted explosive fight scenes and not good characters. Every character changed from beginning to end and it was evident through how they acted.

360pages

So much DBZ bashing...I can't

I do think the original DB is probably the best shonen of all time do to its world and simple nature.

Ray Down

Banned
Fuck them if liking YYH is wrong I don't want to be right. If anything it shows that they just wanted explosive fight scenes and not good characters. Every character changed from beginning to end and it was evident through how they acted.

It wasen't that they didn't like Yu Yu it was that I preferred the main cast to HxH or even that I prefer Yu Yu.

The HxH cast is very similar to Yu Yu cast, but I just find them more entertaining.

It wasen't that they didn't like Yu Yu it was that I preferred the main cast to HxH or even that I prefer Yu Yu.

The HxH cast is very similar to Yu Yu cast, but I just find them more entertaining.
Oooh. I never saw Hunter x Hunter. I think the character design irks me. Is it any good?

Ray Down

Banned
Oooh. I never saw Hunter x Hunter. I think the character design irks me. Is it any good?

Watch it don't read it.

While HxH is a good show (although I think its overrated) its hard for me to recommend it because its one of those properties that will probably never finish because of its creator.

Its like Bastard and Berserk in terms of regular releases except those series have a semi plausible excuse.

Watch it don't read it.

While HxH is a good show its hard for me to recommend it because its one of those properties that will probably never finish because of its creator.

Its like Bastard and Berserk in terms of regular releases except them have a semi plausible excuse.
You're talking to a guy that like Kill La Kill for the characters. I actually have decent enough standards But I'm not pretentious. As long as it's better than god damn Naruto.

Ray Down

Banned
You're talking to a guy that like Kill La Kill for the characters. I actually have decent enough standards But I'm not pretentious. As long as it's better than god damn Naruto.

Its better then Naruto although there are some similarities between the series (Sasuke and Kuripika)

What made you think I thought you were pretenious?

And what I mean by never finishing is that the creator Togashi is a lazy piece of shit.

I mean look at this release schedule:
JiSJQkt.png

Its better then Naruto although there are some similarities between the series (Sasuke and Kuripika)

What made you think I thought you were pretenious?

And what I mean by never finishing is that the creator Togashi is a lazy piece of shit.

I mean look at this release schedule:
JiSJQkt.png
Don't worry about the pretentious part. I have high standards, but at the same time low standards depending on what grabs me about a series and what kind of mood I'm in. Looking at that graph Togashi is fucking lazy.

Ray Down

Banned
Don't worry about the pretentious part. I have high standards, but at the same time low standards depending on what grabs me about a series and what kind of mood I'm in. Looking at that graph Togashi is fucking lazy.

Best way to describe HxH is that its basically a smarter thought out shounen series.

Yeah Togashi is extremely lazy think about it.

Naruto and HxH started the same year 15 years ago and Naruto finished last year and has double the chapters HxH has.

Part seven of JoJo Steel Ball Run a monthly manga that took over six years to complete finished before Togashi could finish one arc.

Plus sometimes his art is just plain awful sometimes:
hunterxhunter.jpg

Veelk

Banned

Naruto has a fantastic dynamic, but yes, they fucked that over.

As for Togashi, I get the impression that he just lost his passion for Manga. He's extraordinarily talented at making it when he puts in the effort, but he doesn't do that often. It gets really wierd because at some points, you can get this super detailed rendition of something, with the rest of the panel literally being scribbles.

Best way to describe HxH is that its basically a smarter thought out shounen series.

Naruto and HxH started the same year 15 years ago and Naruto finished last year and has double the chapters HxH has.

Part seven of JoJo Steel Ball Run a monthly manga that took over six years to complete finished before Togashi could finish one arc.

hunterxhunter.jpg
Wow, he's putting in no work what so fucking ever. Hirohiko Araki might not know how limbs are supposed to bend but at least his artwork is nicely over designed.
Naruto has a fantastic dynamic, but yes, they fucked that over.

As for Togashi, I get the impression that he just lost his passion for Manga. He's extraordinarily talented at making it when he puts in the effort, but he doesn't do that often. It gets really wierd because at some points, you can get this super detailed rendition of something, with the rest of the panel literally being scribbles.
Togashi at least gave me YYH. If his other show is at least watchable it's just icing on the cake, sucks that he stopped giving a shit though.

360pages

It makes me sad that I legit think that Pirate Warriors 2 has better unlocked/skill pacing than the Korra game.

(What I mean by that is how the games distribute skills combos among other things throughout the main game to keep players interested and not dull) they really messed up the Korra game by locking all your bending at the start. Either set it to level 1, or give us 2 from the start and let us have all of them by halfway though the game.

hunterxhunter.jpg

People paid for that?

Veelk

Banned
The reason he gets away with it is because the man is immensely talented. I can't think of many characters with as rich character development as Meruem. One can only imagine what he'd accomplish with actual motivation.

We need to find a way to extract the work ethic of the Fairy Tale guy and put it into Togashi. Seriously, there is almost nothing of worth in fairy tale, but the mangaka heading it is a goddamn machine.

Vylash

The reason he gets away with it is because the man is immensely talented. I can't think of many characters with as rich character development as Meruem. One can only imagine what he'd accomplish with actual motivation.

We need to find a way to extract the work ethic of the Fairy Tale guy and put it into Togashi. Seriously, there is almost nothing of worth in fairy tale, but the mangaka heading it is a goddamn machine.

wow

Take away his money. Boom motivation.

Makes me worried about the quality of shows they have now.

If they want these new shows to take off they need to prioritize those shows above all others. Especially Super girl since it will be on a big time network, which means less time for Arrow and Flash.

Arrow took a nosedive this season compared to season 2, which Flash had some part in (wanting to get Flash off the ground) and even though I see people praising Flash so far its only a bit better then Arrow season 1 which is nothing to write home about.

And now there are like three more shows they have to work on.
Supergirl is being worked on by a completely different team, if I'm recalling correctly. Then there's the Vixen animated web series. Then there's the crossover show.

So yeah.

You didn't like The Southern Air Temple?

Monster.
I don't get why Chapter Black is regarded as being so terrible. I really liked Chapter Black. It's not as good as the Dark Tournament, but it's incredibly close and certainly better than the Spirit Detective and Demon World sagas.
You know, if Leorio would get more love, HxH's core four would be just as good.
It makes me sad that I legit think that Pirate Warriors 2 has better unlocked/skill pacing than the Korra game.

(What I mean by that is how the games distribute skills combos among other things throughout the main game to keep players interested and not dull) they really messed up the Korra game by locking all your bending at the start. Either set it to level 1, or give us 2 from the start and let us have all of them by halfway though the game.
PW2 is a musou, and musous are designed to have you throwing enemies left and right from the beginning. On top of that it's really long. Of course they're going to give you tons of stuff. TLoK is designed to have you build back up, totally familiarize yourself with each element, and then eventually become a full Avatar. The only problem with it in that regard is that TLoK is too short. By the time you've unlocked every skill, the game is over. It's essentially designed to be a New Game+ game.

Had the game been longer, it wouldn't have been as much of an issue. The pacing is off, but not by that much.

Besides, musous and character-action aren't exactly 100% comparable.

Is Fairy Tail still going? For the life of me, every time someone tries to convince me to get into that series, they tell/show me something that immediately makes me go "Absolutely not" and I bail.

Every fucking time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom