• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

But Zuko was a heart throb and still had an actual story and character trajectory. Mako was just a living breathing tool with zero personality that brooded and when they fixed his character arc he was just a detective with zero personality.
Something in the original is better than korra, stop the presses.

And the dude fucked up all of his relationships, he was worse than Bolin. After Mako's two relationships he was borderline asexual like Morrissey.

Focused on his job detective man, is is a common way of writing heartthrobs. It just has varying results

Something in the original is better than korra, stop the presses.

Focused on his job detective man, is is a common way of writing heartthrobs. It just has varying results
But most detectives get a hot female, just look at any film noir movie. Mako has Lin...not even a dig at Lin, but we all know nothing's happening on that front outside of Mako actually having a decent mother figure.

Village

But most detectives get a hot female, just look at any film noir movie. Mako has Lin...not even a dig at Lin, but we all know nothing's happening on that front outside of Mako actually having a decent mother figure.

Much like attractive one dimensional people in reality, they probably attract a lot of people you don't care about or see. But do you honestly care enough to invest that much time into whatever they are doing? no.

Acknowledge that they are boring and move on with your life.

But Zuko was a heart throb and still had an actual story and character trajectory. Mako was just a living breathing tool with zero personality that brooded and when they fixed his character arc he was just a detective with zero personality. And the dude fucked up all of his relationships, he was worse than Bolin. After Mako's two relationships he was borderline asexual like Morrissey.

I honestly thought they could have had something with the Mako and Bolin brother/family mechanic (especially with the whole being captured thing during season 1 and Bolin's manchild attitude) but they did nothing with that.

Ray Down

Banned
It's like Marvel takes every opportunity to make Cyclops the worst possible person. Avengers VS. X-Men was possibly one of the worst character assassinations I've seen in a long time.

I swear I read very few X-men stories were he wasn't an asshole.

After Mako's two relationships he was borderline asexual like Morrissey.

At that point Mako became self aware, he realized who was voicing him he thought: "fuck its bud bundy".

The Bud Bundy curse transcends Married with Children and inflicts any character he voices.

Mako during season 2 believed he wasn't under the curse, but at the end as Korra walks away what you didn't see was the ghost of bud bundy behind him saying:

"When did you think you weren't under my curse"

But most detectives get a hot female, just look at any film noir movie.

Umm... what film noir movies are you watching? Sure the detective gets the hot lady, but its usually only for one night, and then she's usually either killed
Chinatown
, gets sent to jail (and possibly killed)
Maltese Falcon
, or he just plain doesn't get the girl
Casablanca
. In my mind, Mako's pretty smart to not fall in love while being a detective. Practically every film noir, which the Varrick arc in B2 is, ends with the detective gaining and losing nothing from the experience, and something bad always happens to the lady.

Much like attractive on dimensional people in reality, they probably attract a lot of people . But do you honestly care enough to invest that much time into whatever they are doing, no?

Acknowledge that they are boring and move on with your life.
Lol I don't even like Mako. I'm the person on here that thinks Mako spends half his time jacking it into a mayonaise jar while looking at post cards of Asami and Korra while they're on their spirit world trip. I think most of the cast is boring minus Kuvira and Lin. I only really stand up for those two.
Umm... what film noir movies are you watching? Sure the detective gets the hot lady, but its usually only for one night, and then she's usually either killed
Chinatown
, gets sent to jail (and possibly killed)
Maltese Falcon
, or he just plain doesn't get the girl
Casablanca
. In my mind, Mako's pretty smart to not fall in love while being a detective. Practically every film noir, which the Varrick arc in B2 is, ends with the detective gaining and losing nothing from the experience, and something bad always happens to the lady.
Damn thanks for the clarification. I guess I remember the witty dialogue and smoking more than anything else.

Village

I honestly thought they could have had something with the Mako and Bolin brother/family mechanic (especially with the whole being captured thing during season 1 and Bolin's manchild attitude) but they did nothing with that.

they did nothing with all the open avenue's for this character.

Thats the problem

Lol I don't even like Mako. I'm the person on here that thinks Mako spends half his time jacking it into a mayonaise jar while looking at post cards of Asami and Korra while they're on their spirit world trip. .

Naivety.

As i mentioned before, that bully who may have bulled you in school is probably doing alright with his life( Not actually you , this is just a phrasing )

Mako is getting by. Much like in real life having no personality don't mean much if you are attractive.

It's like Marvel takes every opportunity to make Cyclops the worst possible person. Avengers VS. X-Men was possibly one of the worst character assassinations I've seen in a long time.

is that the one where he denounces Professor X due to his lies and eventually morphs his philosophy into something similar to Magneto?

or the one where he gets the phoenix's power (along with some other people like Emma Frost) and doesn't use it very well

they did nothing with all the open avenue's for this character.

Thats the problem

tbf they did something (the whole romance/hearthrob garbage), but it was also shit LOL

still it was very unfortunate *pours 40*

Village

is that the one where he denounces Professor X due to his lies and eventually morphs his philosophy into something similar to Magneto?

also iirc there is the one where he gets the phoenix's power (along with some other people like Emma Frost) and doesn't use it very well

tbf they did something (the whole romance/hearthrob garbage), but it was also shit LOL

As I mentioned above being attractve is not a personality trait

insert Photoshop spongebob with avatar's writer's head on patric body.jpg

Naivety.

As i mentioned before, that bully who may have bulled you in school is probably doing alright with his life( Not actually you , this is just a phrasing )

Mako is getting by. Much like in real life having no personality don't mean much if you are attractive.
I do find it hilarious that Korra is full of dumb hot people. They're pretty much Jersey Shore characters in season 2.
As I mentioned above being attractve is not a personality trait

insert Photoshop spongebob with avatar's writer's head on patric body.jpg
It's not a character trait, but a lot of people act like it is. "He's hot surely he must be a good person." I would've preferred if Mako ended up being a serial killer.

Ray Down

Banned
Okay before I watch KLK, I'm going to need to watch SAO and Persona 4 the anime.

My friend won't stop talking about these two a recommending them so I browbeat into watching them now.

Anyone here can tell me what I'm getting myself into?

I would've preferred if Mako ended up being a serial killer.

Knowing Mako he would end up like Dexter.

Okay before I watch KLK, I'm going to need to watch SAO and Persona 4 the anime.

My friend won't stop talking about these two a recommending them so I browbeat into watching them now.

Knowing Mako he would end up like Dexter.
Just play Persona 4 the game though I've never seen the anime. So Mako's IQ will drop substantially when he has sex with a fellow serial killer?

I swear I read very few X-men stories were he wasn't an asshole.
There's a lot of them where he isn't, it's just that he's the leader and characters like Wolverine constantly argue with him and the majority of the fanbase is "Aw man Wolverine is so cool. Fuck Cyclops!"

or the one where he gets the phoenix's power (along with some other people like Emma Frost) and doesn't use it very well
The one where he gets Phoenix powers. Don't spoiler it. It happens within the first two chapters.

And I hoped I would never hear that sentence uttered/typed by any human being. I was wrong.

Veelk

Banned
Quinn is one motherfucker that should have never survived that God damn show.

God, Quinn was the worst...They literally had no idea what to do with him, so his role kept changing season to season. One moment he's a disappointing sequel to Doakes, another time he is a dirty cop, then he's Deb's love interest except he's just a fuck boy...

I don't really have the same high regard for the first 4 seasons of dexter as most do, but man it went off the rails

Village

I do find it hilarious that Korra is full of dumb hot people. They're pretty much Jersey Shore characters in season 2.

It's not a character trait, but a lot of people act like it is. "He's hot surely he must be a good person." I would've preferred if Mako ended up being a serial killer.
To the top
I want an avatar part three where we have hit reality shows in the time line and thats actually a character.

To the bottom, im all for subverting tropes. Its what i hope for the new fire emblem

Ray Down

Banned
I don't really have the same high regard for the first 4 seasons of dexter as most do, but man it went off the rails

The later seasons were so bad for my brother they made him retroactively hate the rest of the series.

Same deal for him with HIMYM.

Veelk

Banned
Without spoiling, can someone tell me whats so bad about Sword art online? It's been on my queue for a while for the premise, but if someone can give me a decent reason to not bother without spoiling it in case I disagree...?

Edit: I know they have some skeevy stuff with the main female character, but I don't know how far that goes.

Without spoiling, can someone tell me whats so bad about Sword art online? It's been on my queue for a while for the premise, but if someone can give me a decent reason to not bother without spoiling it in case I disagree...?

Edit: I know they have some skeevy stuff with the main female character, but I don't know how far that goes.

The entire thing is a self-insert fantasy so that the bland male protagonist can save the girl
that was a strong character but is now a rape victim
. Oh, also every girl
including his cousin-who-was-raised-as-his-sister
wants to fuck him.

Everything else can be chalked up to bland characters and an interesting premise that ultimately crashes and bombs and goes nowhere. The character arcs are terrible. And it does do some super, extraordinarily gross stuff for no reason. A lot of rape. I just really don't like that show. Didn't even bother with season 2.

God, Quinn was the worst...They literally had no idea what to do with him, so his role kept changing season to season. One moment he's a disappointing sequel to Doakes, another time he is a dirty cop, then he's Deb's love interest except he's just a fuck boy...

I didn't mind season 5 but season 6 pissed me the fuck off. I enjoyed 7 but season 8 made me go fuck this fucking show. I have not seen an episode since it ended. God damn lumberjacking motherfuckers.

Veelk

Banned
The entire thing is a self-insert fantasy so that the bland male protagonist can save the girl
. Oh, also every girl
wants to fuck him.

Everything else can be chalked up to bland characters and an interesting premise that ultimately crashes and bombs and goes nowhere. The character arcs are terrible. And it does do some super, extraordinarily gross stuff for no reason. A lot of rape. I just really don't like that show. Didn't even bother with season 2.

Hm.....I get the bolded often leveled at one story I really like and it's a false accusation, though I can understand how it might appear so at first glance.

The Rape stuff is disturbing though. Like, does she actually lose her agency and will once she is raped or do you just mean she got raped but her character struggles with it? There is a mountain range of difference between the two.

Village

Damn. I'm never going to start Inuyasha. I can't find a single person to say a good thing about it.

Its ok

If you are anything like me though. None of the characters are that interesting except for seshomaru. To the degree in which after his story resolves despite being close to the end i stopped and didnt finish the series for years. It wasnt bad, it was actually satisfying so much so i couldn't give a shit about the rest of em. There are some flaws, it suffers from "main tsundere-ish girl is ass hole and has to be right because love interest." that trope ruins a lot of anime. hell its the one stain on the shining golden statue that is fma and fmab

Sup up side pretty good virgil, and when i say virgil i mean it. Its basically dmc

360pages

. Oh, also every girl
wants to fuck him.

To be fair, only the second half of season 1 was really like that. The first half of season 1 was alright if a little bland at points.

Also apparently Season 2 is actually pretty good for the most part.

360pages

Damn. I'm never going to start Inuyasha. I can't find a single person to say a good thing about it.

No, but legit 3/4 of the series could be cut without you losing anything major. 3 arcs do the exact same thing over and over again. Like One Piece arcs, but without any good writing or fun characters.

No, but legit 3/4 of the series could be cut without you losing anything major. 3 arcs do the exact same thing over and over again. Like One Piece arcs, but without any good writing or fun characters.
Will watch when I have nothing at all to watch so probably never lol.

Ray Down

Banned

No there is not much good to me in Inuyasha.

The characters are bad even Inuyasha brother who is the best one, the setting is boring, the villain is so boring and pulls out a lot of bullshit so he can still be a threat and be alive.

And the worse thing is the romance, it's so much back and forth where Inuyasha is such a indecisive little shit. Through out most of the series he never choices between kagome or kiku.

And how no one tells there feelings for so long it's just so infuriating. Plus a majority of the series is filler and the same plot lines repeat over and over and over again.

The characters are bad even Inuyasha brother who is the best one, the setting is boring, the villain is so boring and pulls out a lot of bullshit so he can still be a threat and be alive.

And the worse thing is the romance, it's so much back and forth where Inuyasha is such a indecisive little shit. Through out most of the series he never choices between kagome or kiku.

And how no one tells there feelings for so long it's just so infuriating. Plus a majority of the series is filler and the same plot lines repeat over and over and over again.
God damn. Say what you want about Gundam but at least the franchise usually tries to be something.

360pages

Because if he had to pick the only logical Conclusion would be Kikio. Kagome is legit the worst character I've seen in a long running series. She is like ChiChi, but instead of the series knowing that she is a nag and annoying like Chichi, they try to play Kagome up as someone who is endearing. .

Because if he had to pick the only logical Conclusion would be Kikio. Kagome is legit the worst character I've seen in a long running series. She is like ChiChi, but instead of the series knowing that she is a nag and annoying like Chichi, they try to play Kagome up as someone who is endearing. .
Holy fuck. You ever see Rahxephon? It's has a pretty good relationship in it.

Hm.....I get the bolded often leveled at one story I really like and it's a false accusation, though I can understand how it might appear so at first glance.

The Rape stuff is disturbing though. Like, does she actually lose her agency and will once she is raped or do you just mean she got raped but her character struggles with it? There is a mountain range of difference between the two.
She struggles with it, but it's still gross as hell. And trust me, it's an accurate accusation.
To be fair, only the second half of season 1 was really like that. The first half of season 1 was alright if a little bland at points.

Also apparently Season 2 is actually pretty good for the most part.
I've heard S2 is just as bad if not worse, but I'm never going to watch it willingly, so it doesn't really matter to me. It's not worth it.

And the SAO arc of SAO has that same stuff, it's just far more toned down.
Asuna completely falls in love with Kirito for no reason, and then decides to just devote her life to Kirito. He also gets at least 3 girls to fall in love with him over nothing. Just within the first season.

The characters aren't just bland, they're nothing. Cardboard cutouts for our cardboard cutout hero to save/be cool around. Oh, and to top it off, the ending to S1 is legitimately one of the worst endings to a series/season I have ever seen. It's so bad.

This is the only show I've ever watched that depressed me because of how bad it was. Not because of it's themes, but because of how just plain terrible it was. I was upset at myself for even spending the time.

Only one of two shows I've ever referred to as garbage, and with good reason.

Eh both of them were bad tbh.

was very unfortunate since Kikio seemed pretty cool in the beginning.

The only things i cared about in that series was Sango and Miroku shenanigans plus Sesshomaru slowly defrosting. The main villain tries to be Aizen but he completely sucks at it (we will ignore the fact Aizen came after him :p) so nothing good on that end.

I feel so out of it with you guys. How come you guys hardly talk about american cartoons? I brought up some on other occasions and they were glossed over like no one else but me had watched them before ._.

I feel so out of it with you guys. How come you guys hardly talk about american cartoons? I brought up some on other occasions and they were glossed over like no one else but me had watched them before ._.

Jaded and I talk about Justice League/Justice League Unlimited from time to time.

Fine, let's go back to shipping JL characters.

See, there we go.
Diana and Bruce = best couple
Also Young Justice

*pours 40*

104279-pouring-one-for-my-homies-gif-bATd.gif

Courage the Cowardly Dog, Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends, Kids Next Door

Teen Titans gets surprisingly little talk here now that I think about it.

Ed edd n eddy is great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom