• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
She struggles with it, but it's still gross as hell. And trust me, it's an accurate accusation.

I've heard S2 is just as bad if not worse, but I'm never going to watch it willingly, so it doesn't really matter to me. It's not worth it.

And the SAO arc of SAO has that same stuff, it's just far more toned down.
Asuna completely falls in love with Kirito for no reason, and then decides to just devote her life to Kirito. He also gets at least 3 girls to fall in love with him over nothing. Just within the first season.

The characters aren't just bland, they're nothing. Cardboard cutouts for our cardboard cutout hero to save/be cool around. Oh, and to top it off, the ending to S1 is legitimately one of the worst endings to a series/season I have ever seen. It's so bad.

This is the only show I've ever watched that depressed me because of how bad it was. Not because of it's themes, but because of how just plain terrible it was. I was upset at myself for even spending the time.

Only one of two shows I've ever referred to as garbage, and with good reason.

Hm....this doesn't happen often unless it's from a source I know personally, but you managed to persuade me not to bother.

If you want to go into more detail about what was wrong with it (like, I still don't even know what the plot was except that they are in a virtual world), then I'd appreciate it. It's up to you, since you've successfully scared me off it. I don't want to deal with dramatic rape unless the author knows what the hell he's doing.

-Deimos

tumblrlmeqs5tpwl1qafrh6.gif

post-32049-no-dating-for-the-batman-gif-I-RAjq.gif

Courage the Cowardly Dog, Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends, Kids Next Door

Teen Titans gets surprisingly little talk here now that I think about it.

Ed edd n eddy is great

Ed, Edd, n Eddy isn't as bad as Cow and Chicken. I'll say that.

Courage is awesome. Foster's and KND are solid but it's been a long time since I've watched them.

As for TT: I really got into that show, but it has a major problem: it suffers from massive mood whiplash. The show has a huge problem with having these huge comedic episodes, immediately followed by a dark one. Granted, the series does both fairly well, but due to the art style and episode structure of the series, it's hard to take it entirely as serious as the writers want.

That being said, it's a solid show, but TTGo is the best thing to happen to that series.

Courage is awesome. Foster's and KND are solid but it's been a long time since I've watched them.

As for TT: I really got into that show, but it has a major problem: it suffers from massive mood whiplash. The show has a huge problem with having these huge comedic episodes, immediately followed by a dark one. Granted, the series does both fairly well, but due to the art style and episode structure of the series, it's hard to take it entirely as serious as the writers want.

That being said, it's a solid show, but TTGo is the best thing to happen to that series.

Are you serious about TTGo? That statement, plus saying EEnE is bad = wtf are you on dude

I agree with you about Cow and Chicken. Could never get into that.

JK I actually love Teen Titans Go a lot more than I thought I would. I think it's a good show

When I watched Teen Titans, I just watched them when they came on the air and didn't really pay attention to seasons or actually watching them in order so I don't know about the mood swings thing. I honestly did feel like the show got a bit too depressing/dark for it's own good though, but I kinda liked it at the same time.

At least to my kid self. I mainly went to it for a fun time, and sometimes came out of it all down like what the heck

I'm not hopping on that doomed ship. Bruce torpedoed it himself. Shayera x Green Lantern for me.

You guys are right. B'wana Beast and Zatanna = best couple.
tumblr_nbuh5cQ8TO1tjshrzo9_250.gif

Hm....this doesn't happen often unless it's from a source I know personally, but you managed to persuade me not to bother.

If you want to go into more detail about what was wrong with it (like, I still don't even know what the plot was except that they are in a virtual world), then I'd appreciate it. It's up to you, since you've successfully scared me off it. I don't want to deal with dramatic rape unless the author knows what the hell he's doing.
I mean, there's a lot to say, but typing all of it is exhausting. It's be a huge read and a huge typing assignment. If you're really curious, watch it for yourself, but I dislike that show with a fiery passion.

If you really want me to go in detail, I will, though. I have no problems with it. Just might take me a bit to sum up the response.
Are you serious about TTGo? That statement, plus saying EEnE is bad = wtf are you on dude

JK I actually love Teen Titans Go a lot more than I thought I would. I think it's a good show

When I watched Teen Titans, I just watched them when they came on the air and didn't really pay attention to seasons or actually watching them in order so I don't know about the mood swings thing. I honestly did feel like the show got a bit too depressing/dark for it's own good though, but I kinda liked it at the same time.

At least to my kid self. I mainly went to it for a fun time, and sometimes came out of it all down like what the heck

TT does stuff well, but the mood whiplash really hurts it, I think. YJ and TTGo are, in my opinion, taking TT and splitting it up into two far better shows. YJ is the serious parts of TT, TTGo is the comedic element. And I think TTGo is funny as hell, especially when you can catch some of the references.

-Deimos

I never minded that about TT, they pulled off both the serious and comedic stuff really well. It never felt jarring, unlike other shows *cough*Bolin*cough*. I like it way better than TT Go.

Also, Canadian cartoons are where its at.
dwlzlg.gif

No talia no sale. Talia technically sexually assaulted him and had his kid. He was like "its cool baby"
Man that was some weird shit. "Yeah, I drugged you and raped you to make the perfect Heir to the Demon. Still love me?"
"Not really but yes."
"Awesome! Also, raise our child P.S. he was secretly trained to kill you."
"It's cool baby. It's cool."
I never minded that about TT, they pulled off both the serious and comedic stuff really well. It never felt jarring, unlike other shows *cough*Bolin*cough*. I like it way better than TT Go.

Also, Canadian cartoons are where its at.
dwlzlg.gif

Man ReBoot has not aged well.

YTT does stuff well, but the mood whiplash really hurts it, I think. YJ and TTGo are, in my opinion, taking TT and splitting it up into two far better shows. YJ is the serious parts of TT, TTGo is the comedic element. And I think TTGo is funny as hell, especially when you can catch some of the references.

Interesting. I always wanted to get into Young Justice but I don't want to be extra disappointed since I already know it got cancelled after season 2.

I always thought a change up in mood would be a good thing for shows.

Veelk

Banned
I mean, there's a lot to say, but typing all of it is exhausting. It's be a huge read and a huge typing assignment. If you're really curious, watch it for yourself, but I dislike that show with a fiery passion.

If you really want me to go in detail, I will, though. I have no problems with it. Just might take me a bit to sum up the response.

As I said, it's up to you. I like big posts and I cannot lie, but I'm not going to make you do it if your not feeling up to it.

Man that was some weird shit. "Yeah, I drugged you and raped you to make the perfect Heir to the Demon. Still love me?"
"Not really but yes."

I really dislike Grant Morrison for shit like this. He's a storm of ideas, but I don't regard it as a good thing, because for every good idea he has, he's got 10 bad ones, and the good ones are rarely as fleshed out as they should be.

Interesting. I always wanted to get into Young Justice but I don't want to be extra disappointed since I already know it got cancelled after season 2.

Just watch it man. It's damn good and still worth it.

Just prepare yourself and you'll be fine.

Balancing comedic and dark is a necessary thing. It is. I just don't think TT did it as well as it could have and suffered for it. It felt like it suffered from an identity crisis *badumtish* at times.

YJ is worth watching, in my opinion. It's a good comic show and a good action cartoon overall.
As I said, it's up to you. I like big posts and I cannot lie, but I'm not going to make you do it if your not feeling up to it.

Alright *cracks knuckles* this'll take a bit.

Village

"Not really but yes."

We got dick bats and Damien robin out of it. Something worked out

I really dislike Grant Morrison for shit like this. He's a storm of ideas, but I don't regard it as a good thing, because for every good idea he has, he's got 10 bad ones, and the good ones are rarely as fleshed out as they should be.

Yeah, I haven't really read anything involving Damien. People like him though. He seems cool. Cooler than Jason anyways, although to be fair I do like Jason as the Red Hood.

Just watch it. Best animated Night Wing and the core cast is pretty good, nicely written, intelligent enemies that can actually plan, Luthor is great as well, good action.

I watched the first half of Sword Art Online season 1 and thought it was just okay. I was EXTREMELY hyped by the first episode, and it had so much potential. It just didn't go into the direction I expected it to at all, and the action was super basic and not even all that fun to watch.

I didn't have much of a problem with Kirito always winning, ONLY because I had just come off of part 1 Naruto and got kind of tired of always feeling scared for the characters I liked lol. I can't even really pinpoint exactly the main things I was disappointed about in SAO. It's been a while since I watched it. I remembering it feeling like it was almost episodic? I don't know. I think the show really would have benefited from being a slower paced grind, honestly. People falling in love randomly with Kirito was weird, but it was the least of my problems with it. Well except when Asuna (or whatever her name was) did it since it took the whole story in that direction.

I'm interested in seeing your write up on it BK.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah, I haven't really read anything involving Damien. People like him though. He seems cool. Cooler than Jason anyways, although to be fair I do like Jason as the Red Hood.

I like the idea of Batman having a sociopathic son (which turns out wasn't really so much a sociopath as just a really shitty brat), and I wouldn't even mind him being a byproduct of rape if it were dealt with the appropriate tone and consequences to his character, but Batman is basically indifferent to it, which has some unfortunate implications about the act. I like some of the guy's idea's, but most of his writing drives me up a wall.

I haven't read his entire run on Batman, but from what I have read....it's okay. I liked his Joker issue and that's about the best thing I can say about him. But don't tell that to ComicGaf's Cult of Morrison. They're no ArrowGaf, but trying to criticize a Morrison story is like pulling teeth. One literally refused to talk to me just for not liking All Star Superman (before he heard my reasons for it) and any complaint you do manage to get through often get the "You just don't get his genius, maaaann..." reply. Another guy complaints that no writer other than morrison writers Damien 'in character', ignoring that every writer writes every comic book character slightly differently. There is no definitive characterization of anyone else that each writer adheres to, why would there be of Damien?

It's just a very frustrating fanbase to deal with. There are a lot of double standards when it comes to Morrisonites.

It's a bit of a cliffhanger, but it's not ridiculously bad.

It's well worth it. Best western animation since Avatar and Korra season
IMO.
But it's better than Korra. Korra and her simpleton side kicks wouldn't be able to out smart the light period. Luthor would just laugh at Korra and go get his suit dry cleaned or something. "The only thing you managed to do was put an extra crease into my suit."

That's a very true statement.

dat voice and the fact you don't see his emotions or speech due to his mask makes it creepier.

Also i'm also interested in that write up BK because i've heard from a lot of people that its not very good plus reading that infamous(?) chapter 16.5 (LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL) didn't help its chances either.

Veelk

Banned
Honestly, I'm just glad someone other than me is initiating a Veelk for once. And it's even about something I haven't seen!

Christoph-Waltz-Dancing-in-Chair-Inglourious-Basterds.gif

Honestly, I'm just glad someone other than me is initiating a Veelk for once. And it's even about something I haven't seen!

Christoph-Waltz-Dancing-in-Chair-Inglourious-Basterds.gif

*runs to throne and bows*

these simpletons are only poor imitations my lord!! you are the rightful King and Divine Ruler of the TLDR realm!!!

Veelk

Banned
*runs to throne and bows*

these simpletons are only poor imitations my lord!! you are the rightful King and Divine Ruler of the TLDR realm!!!

True, Feenix, true, but there is no ruler without a set of lords to rule over. I welcome fine talents to try their mettle. I'll always remain King, but I desire Knights for my Round Table to be capable as well. Perhaps I should host a TLDR tournament. The longest post that gets read the least wins.
I don't think I could make a tldr about a series unless it was Fairy Tail... maybe Naruto.

A new challenger! Step up, Sir Ray, and show us the might of your pen!

Veelk

Banned
Honestly, Ray, you're lucky I'm swamped with school work, or I'd tear Naruto 700 new assholes myself. One for each chapter of the manga.

You can do what you want with Fairy tale though.

360pages

He was never the underdog

When you have a demon in you that lets you recovers from giant shuriken to the spine. You destined for something.

NAh, I actually think that helped that case. Since he turned a thing that almost everyone hated him for into something positive. One of the few times that the hidden power troupe was given more context.

It was one of the really nice things about early Naruto was that he applied things he learned and used that more often only using the fox rarely.

People might say that it's okay because he still wouldn't have gotten anywhere without hard work. But that just sets another bad president. (Not everyone who works hard will be rewarded but everyone who is rewarded works hard) which sounds fine at first until you realize it can easily be taken in such a way that only a small portion of your decisions and actions matter and the majority is still dependent on luck.

It's like Mario Party was an allegory to life.

He was never the underdog

When you have a demon in you that lets you recovers from giant shuriken to the spine. You destined for something.

He was always destined for greatness (I mean he is a shonen main character after all), but part one Naruto had that whole underdog vibe going on which is what I liked about it.

Honestly, Ray, you're lucky I'm swamped with school work, or I'd tear Naruto 700 new assholes myself. One for each chapter of the manga.

You can do what you want with Fairy tale though.

I want to see your thing on part 1 Naruto

Alright, so I'll spoiler this in case anyone wants to watch SAO and doesn't want to be spoiled. Basically, I'm just going to summarize the series as best I can and just bring up my issues as they came up. It's easier than just trying to recall them, though keep in mind I watched back in December 2013/January 2014. My memory might be a bit off:

So, the way the show starts is that there's this VRMMORPG (Virtual Reality Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) coming out called Sword Art Online. Bunch of people log in, can't leave, big asshole dude in the sky says "Die in the game die in real life. Try to forcibly disconnect in the real world die in real life. Make it up all 100 floors of SAO, win the game, you get to leave." So immediately the stakes are raised to the absolute maximum, which immediately destroys the show as a whole. Kirito decides, instead of teaming up with this one dude (named Klein) and his friends in a party, he'll just go off on his own. So we already have brooding, loner protagonist. That's fine, since I assumed we'd be finding out more about him as time went on.

Next episode, they find out where the dungeon is on the first floor, bunch of people organize a raid party, Kirito gets involved, meets Asuna (she'll be important later). Anyways, he helps her figure out how to play the game, which doesn't make any sense given that we find out she's one of the best fighters in the show (despite which she gets bodied later on but we'll get there), but hey we need our MC to help girls so he can be cool. Anyways it's in this instance that we find out Kirito was a beta tester, and apparently beta testers are hated because they knew the ins and outs of the game and didn't help people out enough (some-thousand people died after the first couple weeks). Despite the fact that everyone was given an instructional guide created by the testers. Anyways, the testers are now called "Beaters" because cheater + beta tester = beater. So, they get to the dungeon, Asuna and Kirito kill the monster, and Kirito takes the loot. One dude who is an asshole states that Kirito let their leader die (he didn't. The leader was bad) because some stuff got changed about the boss of the dungeon and it's Kirito's fault somehow. So then Kirito decides to own up, state that he's better than everyone because he got to level 6 of SAO on his own in the beta, and then tells everyone to fuck off including Asuna.

This is my first huge problem with the series. Kirito playing the Dark Knight, the whole "I'll be hated so everyone will unite against the common threat" character. Now that's fine, except IT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. First of all, if Kirito was so good, why didn't he just go kill the boss himself. He's trying to hide his skill FOR NO REASON. And this isn't the first time he'll do this. Maybe he wants friends and doesn't want to scare them off, but he has no personality anyways. His only character trait is "good at viddy gamz," which basically means he's EVERYONE's best friend in SAO. He's an asshole for hiding it. That's not the true issue I have with this plot point, though. The main issue is that his whole Dark Knight bit doesn't actually mean anything. It doesn't. This never comes up again. No one ever acknowledges it ever. It's a useless plot point made to make Kirito "cool," because number one Anime Insert Fantasy Trope "I have the world on my shoulders and must therefore brood because issues and things" has to be present. He mopes about being good at things. The fuck?

Anyways, next up is an episode where he hides his level from a guild so that he can join them. Friends, I guess? I'd buy it, but later we find out Klein and his friends are still very much alive. So, why wouldn't he join them? Instead he joins a much lower guild and helps them get good, which I like. He's helped Klein get good in the beginning, so it's in line with whatever cardboard he's made out of. Honestly, this is the best episode in the show. Anyways, he wanders off, meets up with Klein who tells him "It's not your fault." See, timeskips occur frequently in the beginning of the show, and it's a huge issue. In this case, we think "Oh shit Kirito did something." Anyways, the leader of the guild Kirito's a part of leaves to go buy a house. The other guild members want to go get beefier on a higher floor, Kirito goes with. Now, he doesn't want them go, but instead of telling them "I'm a higher level and you'll all die" he goes on with it. They enter a trap room and all of them are dead except Kirito. He feels super guilty because the ONE GIRL IN THE GUILD (this is a theme) dies, and he promised her she wouldn't. Anyways, he tells the guild leader, who then kills himself. So, feeling guilty, he tracks down a special item to resurrect her, it doesn't work. Klein gives him a pep talk, it doesn't work. He leaves.

Next episode, he meets a girl who falls in love with him, helps her out. We never see her again, even though she's pretty cool and has a dragon. It's a useless episode aside from establishing that Kirito basically just chills on low-level floors helping people, he's over powered, and people call him "The Black Swordsman." Apparently a fear-inspiring name, but it doesn't really come up again.

So, as time goes on, Asuna and Kirito spend more time together and bond. Kirito meets a blacksmith who builds him a good sword, she falls in love with him and then gets over it because he's in love with Asuna who is in love with Kirito (for no damn reason). So, they're battle buddies, Kirito saves Asuna's life, and then awkwardly offers him sex, because it's the only reward a woman can give a man. Honestly it's weird and they're 15 and it's weird. So then they decide to spend they're lives together and get married.

Except Heathcliff, the leader of Asuna's guild, and the main guild clearing floors, wants Kirito in his crew because Kirito unlocked a super secret ability: Dual-wielding. Now, this ability is dumb. Why? Because in order to get it, you have to have the "fastest reaction time in the game." Now, this doesn't make sense because Asuna is stated to be faster than Kirito. In fact, Kirito's fighting style doesn't even make sense. He wields a one-handed sword with no shield. When asked why, it turns out he had this super-secret ability just hangin around. Not the whole time though, so his fighting style is still never revealed. Anyways, the main character gets an exclusive power-up and fights for whether or not Asuna can leave the guild (she wants to because of the need to awkwardly sex her man). Also, did I mention that Asuna has max cooking skill? That's right. She's amazing at cooking AND rewards men who help her out with awkward sex. Perfect.

So Kirito loses (because Heathcliff cheated), is forced to join the guild, and then goes on vacation with Asuna to find a house and live in peace. They have a child (don't ask. I don't want to explain it) who then dies. They go back to the guild, do a raid, and discover that *gasp* Heathcliff is the creator of the game. So, Heathcliff paralyzes everyone except Kirito, forcing him to a fair duel. Heathcliff wins, everyone has to continue to the 100th floor and beat him. If Kirito wins, the game is over. Kirito also makes a deal that Heathcliff has to reprogram the game so Asuna can't kill herself (because that's what she was going to do if Kirito lost. No point in living, after all). Heathcliff kills Asuna to bait Kirito, Kirito wins because bullshit. SAO over.

EXCEPT WE'RE ONLY HALF-DONE.

Village

He was always destined for greatness (I mean he is a shonen main character after all), but part one Naruto had that whole underdog vibe going on which is what I liked about it.
Man i was like 12 and never thought that. I had already seen ebough anime and played enough video games to be like " i know where this is going"

A lot of things play under dog but its super apperent its if you look at everything that its more god complex .

SAO stuff

I was SO disappointed that Kirito didn't stick with Klein. Just the existence of him got me even more hyped for the series because I wanted sort of a friendship journey (FF status) with a decent cast of characters that I liked for different reasons, but that's not really how it turned out at all :/. Also, I love seeing progression in skills and abilities, but there wasn't nearly enough of that. I was super hyped when Kirito got that new sword, and even that new outfit (jacket?) though. There definitely wasn't enough to his character, but I did find it interesting when we learned that he was a beta tester.

Man i was like 12 and never thought that. I had already seen ebough anime and played enough video games to be like " i know where this is going"

A lot of things play under dog but its super apperent its if you look at everything that its more god complex .

I always knew where it was going as well. I had no doubt Naruto would step up and become super powerful. Anticipating that payoff is what made watching the series so exciting... Butttt that ended up getting kind of screwed up.

Veelk

Banned
I want to see your thing on part 1 Naruto

Which part of Part 1? Which part of which part of Part 1?

You have to understand: Naruto was my gateway anime. It was the first series that got me to hunt down online episodes, and then hunt down the manga when I realized that ended. It was the first series that trained my analytical eye to search for narrative functionality. I was at the time, and still am, impressed how Kishimoto nailed the characterization of the rivalry between Naruto and Sasuke, and how they oscillated from hatred to respect to hatred again. It was good character development.

When I read it again (up to the Chunin Exam arc) when I was older, I noticed it had a lot more holes than I noticed the first time around. And when I read it again, up to just the Zabuza arc, I noticed how badly it started off. And the rampant sexism of the series. The poorly defined powers. The poor worldbuilding. And a lot of things. A lot of details of it are just burned into my mind. I could write a veelk on most of the 12 Genin by themselves. But it still had heart, and you could like it.

Then the time skip happened and oh god. To be honest, I read a bit passed when the Summit Arc, but I forget everything that happened after that. It's just such nonsense that my brain couldn't accept it, and I quit a series I had spent 10 years reading weekly. It deserves to be eviserated more than any other series I know. While I'm sure Kishimoto wasn't malicious, I consider it a personal betrayal of having things end that badly. So one day, but this is a Veelk even I'm afraid to tackle, because the detail I could go in on even individual arcs is just stupid. It'd basically be a book.

360pages

To be fair, when they were building up to Sakura's character you felt her development would justify everything. I honestly think she was supposed to be unlikable. Considering she legit made fun of Naruto for being an orphan and had no respect for him at all.

I don't think Kishi is sexist at all...I just think he really has problems just writing characters in general. I mean, Kiba and Shino get even less character motivation than Hinata and Sakura. I mean, Shino JUST likes bugs, I don't think his character actually ever goes past that.

Village

I always knew where it was going as well. I had no doubt Naruto would step up and become super powerful. Anticipating that payoff is what made watching the series so exciting... Butttt that ended up getting kind of screwed up.

I thought it was ok.

All though as the story went on the under dog gifted kid dynamic between sasuke and naruto switched

Which part of Part 1? Which part of which part of Part 1?

You have to understand: Naruto was my gateway anime. It was the first series that got me to hunt down online episodes, and then hunt down the manga when I realized that ended. It was the first series that trained my analytical eye to search for narrative functionality. I was at the time, and still am, impressed how Kishimoto nailed the characterization of the rivalry between Naruto and Sasuke, and how they oscillated from hatred to respect to hatred again. It was good character development.

When I read it again (up to the Chunin Exam arc) when I was older, I noticed it had a lot more holes than I noticed the first time around. And when I read it again, up to just the Zabuza arc, I noticed how badly it started off. And the rampant sexism of the series. The poorly defined powers. The poor worldbuilding. And a lot of things. A lot of details of it are just burned into my mind. I could write a veelk on most of the 12 Genin by themselves. But it still had heart, and you could like it.

Then the time skip happened and oh god. To be honest, I read a bit passed when the Summit Arc, but I forget everything that happened after that. It's just such nonsense that my brain couldn't accept it, and I quit a series I had spent 10 years reading weekly. It deserves to be eviserated more than any other series I know. While I'm sure Kishimoto wasn't malicious, I consider it a personal betrayal of having things end that badly. So one day, but this is a Veelk even I'm afraid to tackle, because the detail I could go in on even individual arcs is just stupid. It'd basically be a book.

Well the details you're listing are sounding like interesting topics. Kishi handled the female characters terribly for sure. We don't need to go over that, of course, that's blatant.

I'd like to hear more specifically our thoughts on the world building. Just from what i'm thinking of, we didn't know much about the other nations (part 2 naruto was better in that regard though) but I'd say that it wasn't really too relevant to the plot that it really got in the way of my enjoyment much.

I'd also like to hear more of your thoughts on the thing about poorly defined powers. It's something that I know is true, but I can't really recall all of the details of it. Although I still disagree about Izanagi thing. I don't think that discussion of ours had a proper ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom