• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altairre

I just finished season 2. Umm...wat? So Korra is basically John Cena, Attitude Adjustment and all. I mean it was great to look at and the soundtrack is absolutely fantastic but I won't even try to make sense out of anything that happened.

I just finished season 2. Umm...wat? So Korra is basically John Cena, Attitude Adjustment and all. I mean it was great to look at and the soundtrack is absolutely fantastic but I won't even try to make sense out of anything that happened.
How Korra got through that fight without powerbombing Unavaatu is fucking beyond me. And don't fry your brain trying to make any kind of sense out of that horse shit. Just move on to season 3.

Hamlet

Best not to ha. Even Mike and Bryan (show creators) don't know what happened. Just move onto Book 3 and enjoy the ride. Book 3 is fantastic.
Mike: “To me, I always thought Jinora, I saw some different theories that people had of what Jinora was doing, and the truth is, I don’t know exactly what she was doing. The idea is that she did gather some sort of spiritual energy that helped trigger the tiny, little sliver of Raava that was left in Unavaatu.”
http://dongbufeng.tumblr.com/post/90628908663/korra-book-2-blu-ray-commentary-highlights

Veelk

Banned
Best not to ha. Even Mike and Bryan (show creators) don't know what happened. Just move onto Book 3 and enjoy the ride. Book 3 is fantastic.

http://dongbufeng.tumblr.com/post/90628908663/korra-book-2-blu-ray-commentary-highlights
I don't think I've seen that full quote somehow. They seem to be implying that there are a number of possible valid theories, and they can't decide which one is the most valid. Too bad they don't state what they are, it might seem like less bs that way

Altairre

How Korra got through that fight without powerbombing Unavaatu is fucking beyond me. And don't fry your brain trying to make any kind of sense out of that horse shit. Just move on to season 3.

A straight up wrestling match would have been hype. The laserbeam clash was some DBZ type shit. I'm generally not expecting that much from a show like Korra, I liked Last Airbender but even that had consistency issues and jumps in logic. This last fight here and everything surrounding it was too much even for me though. A certain amount of mumbo jumbo is fine but come on. And what the fuck was Jinora doing? Holy spirit handgrenade or something like that.

A straight up wrestling match would have been hype. The laserbeam clash was some DBZ type shit. I'm generally not expecting that much from a show like Korra, I liked Last Airbender but even that had consistency issues and jumps in logic. This last fight here and everything surrounding it was too much even for me though. A certain amount of mumbo jumbo is fine but come on. And what the fuck was Jinora doing? Holy spirit handgrenade or something like that.
Man the less you think about it the better. That season is some tripping on Peyote bullshit.

Hamlet

I don't think I've seen that full quote somehow. They seem to be implying that there are a number of possible valid theories, and they can't decide which one is the most valid. Too bad they don't state what they are, it might seem like less bs that way
Yeah they say that it’s open to interpretation.

I'm cracking up over here because that is exactly what was playing in my head when Korra slammed Unalaq.

One question though: Is there any way to get the soundtrack for book 2?

Sadly no. For some reason Nick can't bothered to release the rest of them.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah they say that it’s open to interpretation.

Being open to interpretation doesn't mean anything goes. It just means there is strong support for multiple, sometimes mutually exclusive, interpretations. Thus far, I've seen it as them just saying "Look, just make up what you want." Which is still the case, as far as I see, but they seem to be implying there is more evidence for some interpretations than others.

For me, I don't see how any argument can be supported one over another. The only thing we know is that Jinora was a spirit, and did some kind of spiritual thing to spiritualize the spirit of Raava. And, as I have pointed out multiple times, LoK has never explained what 'spirit' means. This one word has been used to describe personality, actions, a state of being, energy, objects, and ideology indiscriminately. It could mean fucking anything.

So, as far as I can see, the only real explanation we can say is that "Jinora did the thing". The quote seems to imply that there is something more indepth going on, and I would love to see them try to weasel an haflway decent explanation, let alone several, that is supported by what was presented in the series.

Do doo doo
Mu tah mi nah

( you all should watch wresling isnt wrestling)

Korra kicks out at 2!!

AA!!! AA!!!

Korra comes back and wins again!!!

tumblr_nlr09amDtx1rma7mho1_500.gif

No need to be sorry. Much like how the sun always rises from the east and dips into the west. Shitting on S2 is inevitable and one of life's many cycles.
Shitting on Su, Shitting on Book 2, shitting on Mako, shitting on Toph's shitty parenting, shitting on Tenzin for dumping Lin, shitting on Pema/defending Pema, it's just part of the cycle here.

Altairre

Shitting on Su, Shitting on Book 2, shitting on Mako, shitting on Toph's shitty parenting, shitting on Tenzin for dumping Lin, shitting on Pema/defending Pema, it's just part of the cycle here.

I enjoyed book 2 overall though. Even when the story isn't great it's still a fun watch. I'm a sucker for animation so it's definitely worth the bluray for me despite the small dip in quality at the beginning. There are no episodes like let's say the Jar Jar stuff in Clone Wars (great show as well but when it's bad...yeesh).

Veelk

Banned
I would really like a small miniseries of Lins cop adventures when she was younger. It feels like when she's not characterized by her being a bitter old crow over Tenzin, it's being a bitter old crow over Suyin. She's constantly up against main villains, which means she gets bodied because Korra is the one that's supposed to beat them. I want something where she's the main character so she has a goddamn chance to not take L's at near Mako frequency.

Edit: obviously not written by bryke. If they could write Lin well, we wouldn't be in need of a miniseries to make her look good in the first place.

Ray Down

Banned

Its a vicious cycle with the beifong family and parenting.

Toph parents were to controlling and restrictive which lead to Toph.

Toph parenting was the exact opposite of her parents, Toph was extremely hands off with Lin and Su leading them to do whatever they wanted plus with her job being chief of police I doubt she was home that much and not telling her kids who there fathers are left some resentment.

Su was a mix of both toph and her grandparents, being carefree but controlling with hits of wanting to be isolated unless people came to her. The domes to cut out anyone from entering and not going off to reconcile with Lin until she came to her.

I can't remember if it was Toph or Su that statred they healing between them.

But her parenting and ideals she showed lead to Kuvira and Baatar Jr.

Lin became more uptight and followed in her mother footsteps with her career. She became too loosen up a bit as time went on during Korra (minus abit of stuff from season two)

Hopefully Opal can break the cycle thanks to being away from Zafou and hopefully staying in republic city with everyone.

I would really like a small miniseries of Lins cop adventures when she was younger. It feels like when she's not characterized by her being a bitter old crow over Tenzin, it's being a bitter old crow over Suyin. She's constantly up against main villains, which means she gets bodied because Korra is the one that's supposed to beat them. I want something where she's the main character so she has a goddamn chance to not take L's at near Mako frequency.

Edit: obviously not written by bryke. If they could write Lin well, we wouldn't be in need of a miniseries to make her look good in the first place.

They just need to bring back Aaron.

Then they'll be smooth sailing.

Ray Down

Banned

if I was able to make Korra comics, I would do a mini series before getting into post series stuff, showing off a bit of some of the characters past to see a bit of how they became who they are.

Like:
Korra in the white lotus compound being trained by them and Katara and how it shaped her. End it with Korra arriving in Republic City.

Asami life with her parents before the series and maybe some school life, Asami and her dad building satomobiles grooming her to take charge of the company later in life and show how Yasuko death effected both her and her father. End it with showing the beginnings of how Hiroshi became part of the Equalists and Asami meeting Korra & the rest.

Tenzin & Lin I would show some of there life with their siblings more, show more how Aang and Toph tought them, Lin beat cops days and obviously the ending of their romance. End the issue with her becoming cheif and Tenzin & Pema having Jinora.

Zaheer would be about how he meet his gang and end with them getting captured after trying to abduct Korra.

Kuvira would be her life as a orphan, her meeting with Su and how she shaped Kuvira.

The Avatar comics improved after each issue so they could be just fine with Korra comics.

Ray Down

Banned
I just want my OVA dedicated to the Red Lotus vs. CHIEF FUCKING SOKKA, Tonraq, Tenzin, and FIRE LORD ZUKO.

I just want that.

Pretty much it.

They were going to include that in season 3, but I can't remember why they didn't. It was either they ran out of time and had to cut it or animation budget.

Ray Down

Banned
Anyway I woke up good this morning.

MKX arrived this morning along with Korra book 3 artbook, Star Ocean 5 was announced and not some mobile garbage, Bloodborne sold one million and people in that thread are hinting at DLC (possible at E3).

And best of all I didn't have work today.

tumblr_inline_n7twg1ZUYk1rz2ce8.gif

I enjoyed book 2 overall though. Even when the story isn't great it's still a fun watch. I'm a sucker for animation so it's definitely worth the bluray for me despite the small dip in quality at the beginning. There are no episodes like let's say the Jar Jar stuff in Clone Wars (great show as well but when it's bad...yeesh).

Agreed with you on enjoying season 2.

Even with the rushed as hell schedule of book 2, the animation is solid throughout. Even the early episodes that were done by the naruto people are beautiful with great use of colors like purple even though the eyes are weird to me.

They were going to include that in season 3, but I can't remember why they didn't. It was either they ran out of time and had to cut it or animation budget.
Why does Bryke include the shit they shouldn't include but keep the shit nobody wants to fucking see?

Yeah they could keep the film Noir look of book 1 and not make Lin a jobber all the fucking time. And give the woman a God damn sense of humor. Her being an old bitter crow all the time really harms her character. Lin just seems like she downs a pint of Brandy after work, sleeps for two hours and goes back to work body slamming crooks.

Ray Down

Banned
Okay back, the flashback of the kidnapping they said just never expanded outside pitching the idea and that it would be hard to get it into the episode (episode 4 of book 3) without it messing with the pace or some shit.

Okay back, the flashback of the kidnapping they said just never expanded outside pitching the idea and that it would be hard to get it into the episode (episode 4 of book 3) without it messing with the pace or some shit.
Something fucking with the pace has never stopped them before.

Only season that I felt had really messed up pacing was Balance. The other seasons had probably one episode, if that, that might have felt a little off. Book 4 was just...kinda everywhere.

Only season that I felt had really messed up pacing was Balance. The other seasons had probably one episode, if that, that might have felt a little off. Book 4 was just...kinda everywhere.
Book 4 was too caught up reminding everyone that the show was about Korra and her journey yet when they acted like Korra didn't exist the episodes were pretty good. If they focused more on Kuvira and did a better job on showing her transition to Uniter of territory to fucking Mecha Hitler it would've been a better season.

Book 4 was too caught up reminding everyone that the show was about Korra and her journey yet when they acted like Korra didn't exist the episodes were pretty good. If they focused more on Kuvira and did a better job on showing her transition to Uniter of territory to fucking Mecha Hitler it would've been a better season.

Book 4 had a lot of problems. Stand by it as the worst Avatar season.

That whole middle portion after Korra and Kuvira fought the first time was an utter clusterfuck. some of the season I liked others I didn't. Kuvira just being "eh fuck it she's a Nazi" is definitely one of them.

It was the first time I watched a season that felt like an unfinished product. Like it was missing episodes or something. And Remembrances, I stand by this, is the most misused and poorly done episode.

It was the first time I watched a season that felt like an unfinished product. Like it was missing episodes or something. And Remembrances, I stand by this, is the most misused and poorly done episode.
No argument there. It's like they had to make the season but they didn't get a chance to finish plotting it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom