• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
I feel that way. Most others will probably say Spirits is, and that's fine. I understand why, but for me it was B4. Too much of it feels wrong. The pacing, the simple dropping of characters like flies, and a whole lot amounting to fuck all. It feels like a finale season and a set-up season all in one and fails at both, since there's nothing to set-up and it's just a poorly done finale all together. It falls flat.

For me, Balance is the least ambitious book. It feels like it has the least budget, so Kuvira the fight scenes are the least grand and the robot is so awkward and everything. I'd also say the ideas are underdeveloped, but that's every LoK season.

In terms of actual bad writing, it's Spirits. That's barely coherent between Unalaq and it's relationships writing and 'spiritual' focus.

At least Book 2 cared enough about the villain to give him more than a sentence and a half worth of back story. Kuvira deserved more.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Book 2, for all of its bumblings that people have pointed out, was at the very least over the top, and I appreciate that. It had good action and some really good artistic decisions. So, say what you will about the nonsensical ending, boring villain, and unlikable characters. At the very least, Book 2 went HARD, and I respect that.

Book 4 did nothing. It didn't go hard, or do anything to set it above the rest. It just IS, and that's about all I can say on it. There are too many things that B4 does that I can't reconcile, and there's no excuse that I will be able to deem good enough for me to believe otherwise.

Veelk

Banned
Why wouldn't it be?

No, he has a point. Sometimes, the worst piece of writing isn't the one that fails the most because failure means they're trying something, that they're reaching some ambition and that's fun to watch. In comparison, someone who sets out for a bland and small goal and achieves it in a bland and small way is less watchable, because who cares. Failures can be cringe worthy or fantastic things to watch, but boring is always boring.

I wouldn't say Spirits is a fantastic failure, but I can understand someone preferring it to the middlings Balance.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Book 2, for all of its bumblings that people have pointed out, was at the very least over the top, and I appreciate that. It had good action and some really good artistic decisions. So, say what you will about the nonsensical ending, boring villain, and unlikable characters. At the very least, Book 2 went HARD, and I respect that.

Book 4 did nothing. It didn't go hard, or do anything to set it above the rest. It just IS, and that's about all I can say on it. There are too many things that B4 does that I can't reconcile, and there's no excuse that I will be able to deem good enough for me to believe otherwise.
I think in the long run Book 4 lacked passion and sort of just fizzled out.

No, he has a point. Sometimes, the worst piece of writing isn't the one that fails the most because failure means they're trying something, that they're reaching some ambition and that's fun to watch. In comparison, someone who sets out for a bland and small goal and achieves it in a bland and small way is less watchable, because who cares. Failures can be cringe worthy or fantastic things to watch, but boring is always boring.

I wouldn't say Spirits is a fantastic failure, but I can understand someone preferring it to the middlings Balance.

Yeah I also agree with his points.

Book 2 > Book 4 sorry tia

I think in the long run Book 4 lacked passion and sort of just fizzled out.

The individual episodes in Balance weren't necessarily bad, it's just that it was so damn boring. It moves at a snail's pace and takes forever for anything to happen. And there are boring ass filler episodes (I'm not referring to the clips show).

Season 2 on the other hand, while poorly written, was almost TOO fast paced. I think season 1 and 3 were much better in that regard.

The individual episodes in Balance weren't necessarily bad, it's just that it was so damn boring. It moves at a snail's pace and takes forever for anything to happen. And there are boring ass filler episodes (I'm not referring to the clips show).

Season 2 on the other hand, while poorly written, was almost TOO fast paced. I think season 1 and 3 were much better in that regard.
I think Book 4 started well, but it had a horrible middle. Didn't get half decent again till Operation Beifong, which was actually the better episodes of that season. Ending was rushed seriously, had no god damn impact at all. "We couldn't figure out how to end this properly, so enjoy this Korrasami."

I think Book 4 started well, but it had a horrible middle. Didn't get half decent again till Operation Beifong, which was actually the better episodes of that season. Ending was rushed seriously, had no god damn impact at all. "We couldn't figure out how to end this properly, so enjoy this Korrasami."

Yeah the start was great coming right off of season 3 I was quite enthusiastic. Korra Alone and the other first 2-3 were not bad at all. And then nothing happens...and nothing happens...and here's a dumb robot, and Korrasami.

Yeah the start was great coming right off of season 3 I was quite enthusiastic. Korra Alone and the other first 2-3 were not bad at all. And then nothing happens...and nothing happens...and here's a dumb robot, and Korrasami.
I was fine with it until after the Battle for Zaofu and then no proper character development happened...I can live without the kids finding Korra episode as well. Bumi and Kya getting fucked and Kai's mute bending pissed me off too, ugh I like certain things, but other things really just annoyed me. I still don't like how Korrasami is all people talk about, it's not even the best ship.

360pages

Book 4, is alright. Though the ending was the most disappointing shit. Which sucks, like the later parts of Naruto was shit. But I still think the ending to Naruto had more closure than Korra.

Korra just kind of ends...like, ends. No big boom, even for the Adventure continues type of ending it felt kind of bland.

Book 4, is alright. Though the ending was the most disappointing shit. Which sucks, like the later parts of Naruto was shit. But I still think the ending to Naruto had more closure than Korra.

Korra just kind of ends...like, ends. No big boom, even for the Adventure continues type of ending it felt kind of bland.
It just leads into Book 5: Tribbing.

It just leads into Book 5: Tribbing.

scissors.jpg

I think Book 4 started well, but it had a horrible middle. Didn't get half decent again till Operation Beifong, which was actually the better episodes of that season. Ending was rushed seriously, had no god damn impact at all. "We couldn't figure out how to do this season properly, so enjoy this Korrasami."

fixed that for you.

also tbf while being poorly done it was a great distraction tactic (plus it had the added benefit of giving Mako that massive L) .

"Fuck off bro, my swag out swags your swag!" *swag swag swag*
fixed that for you.

also tbf while being poorly done it was a great distraction tactic (plus it had the added benefit of giving Mako that massive L) .
I will always say that Mako's ending should've just been him chilling out with Lin getting some sort of job promotion, not getting shitted on because he's needlessly stanning for Korra. At that moment in time Mako lived a lot of his life without Korra and grew into a decent human being while being under the tutelage of Lin. Lin had more of a positive impact in his life than Korra did. Did he ever even thank Lin in the show? If not then that's a fuck up on Bryke's part.

JLU: The Great Brain Robbery:

"You going to wash your hands?" "No, cause I'm evil." Lol Lex tried to reveal the Flashes identity and was like "who the fuck is this guy?" Lex is such an abusive boyfriend to that witch lady.

JLU: Grudge Match:

Lol I love the chemistry between Question and Huntress, he's not great at phone sex. Black Canary, Vixen, Huntress and Shayera vs Wonder Woman...ouch. This episode had some great fight scenes. Are Huntress and Black Canary the two best female fighters in hand to hand?

-Deimos

I will always say that Mako's ending should've just been him chilling out with Lin getting some sort of job promotion, not getting shitted on because he's needlessly stanning for Korra. At that moment in time Mako lived a lot of his life without Korra and grew into a decent human being while being under the tutelage of Lin. Lin had more of a positive impact in his life than Korra did. Did he ever even thank Lin in the show? If not then that's a fuck up on Bryke's part.

"You going to wash your hands?" "No, cause I'm evil." Lol Lex tried to reveal the Flashes identity and was like "who the fuck is this guy?" Lex is such an abusive boyfriend to that witch lady.

Lol I love the chemistry between Question and Huntress, he's not great at phone sex. Black Canary, Vixen, Huntress and Shayera vs Wonder Woman...ouch. This episode had some great fight scenes. Are Huntress and Black Canary the two best female fighters in hand to hand?
tumblr_ls30y3sUKu1qamy78o1_250.gif

"Orange socks"

Yeah, Mako's ending was terrible. In fact almost everyone's was. Mako didn't even do anything offensive in the last two seasons. In fact the only time I really thought he was a scumbag was season 2. In season 1 it's just some love triangle bullshit. Whatever, they're teenagers. In season 2 though, wtf. Then again, almost everyone in season 2 is brain dead so I guess that's a Bryke right there.

#teamMakoShouldHaveDied

Yeah, Mako's ending was terrible. In fact almost everyone's was. Mako didn't even do anything offensive in the last two seasons. In fact the only time I really thought he was a scumbag was season 2. In season 1 it's just some love triangle bullshit. Whatever, they're teenagers. In season 2 though, wtf. Then again, almost everyone in season 2 is brain dead so I guess that's a Bryke right there.

#teamMakoShouldHaveDied
In season 2 they acted like Jersey Shore characters. Everybody had their douche meter cranked up to 11. And yeah Mako should've just dyed. Let the man die with some fucking dignity, not eating alphabet soup where the only letter available to him is "L".
tumblr_ls30y3sUKu1qamy78o1_250.gif

"Orange socks"
Yeah this was hilarious, they actually needed more scenes together. They play off each other pretty well.

Yo, Wally finally gettin' some. Had to be with Tala and in Lex's body, but he gettin' some. And she enjoyed it way more than with Lex. +1 Wally.

Also, Grudge Match, while the fights are good, was pretty stupid in hindsight. The fact that we're supposed to believe that Roulette somehow got mind-control devices onto various members of the JL is a reach. Especially Shayera and Diana. The street-level ones, I can buy. But Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl? Badass warrior princesses? Nah ah. No way.

Seeing Nightwing as Huntress rides into Bludhaven, tho....*small tears*

Yo, Wally finally gettin' some. Had to be with Tala and in Lex's body, but he gettin' some. And she enjoyed it way more than with Lex. +1 Wally.

Also, Grudge Match, while the fights are good, was pretty stupid in hindsight. The fact that we're supposed to believe that Roulette somehow got mind-control devices onto various members of the JL is a reach. Especially Shayera and Diana. The street-level ones, I can buy. But Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl? Badass warrior princesses? Nah ah. No way.

I always thought that was something Sonar was doing since he can do things with sound frequencies. It seemed to me like they were more off site tampering with the communicators and not actually putting mind control devices onto them. How did I miss Nightwing? Dafuq was I doing besides getting ready for work. Then again now that I think about it further, this was something that Lex was a part of and Lex does know how to tap into Justice League tech pretty well.

-Deimos

Small tears at that mullet.

I always thought that was something Sonar was doing since he can do things with sound frequencies. It seemed to me like they were more off site tampering with the communicators and not actually putting mind control devices onto them. How did I miss Nightwing? Dafuq was I doing besides getting ready for work. Then again now that I think about it further, this was something that Lex was a part of and Lex does know how to tap into Justice League tech pretty well.
I still have a hard time buying that it happened.

Also, when Huntress rides into Bludhaven, you see a row of gargoyles. One of those is not actually a gargoyle, it's Nightwing.
Small tears at that mullet.
Old Nightwing is so baaaad. Even in the comics. He's terrrrrrrible from a design perspective.

I still have a hard time buying that it happened.

Also, when Huntress rides into Bludhaven, you see a row of gargoyles. One of those is not actually a gargoyle, it's Nightwing.

Old Nightwing is so baaaad. Even in the comics. He's terrrrrrrible from a design perspective.
I love how Dick proved to Bruce he's his own man by setting up shop in his own town, Dick is best Robin.
Someone kill me before I go to work, I just want this to end.

And 90's Nightwing is awful.
If it makes you feel any better I'm already at work and my brain took a vacation for a bit. Ugh, 2 more fucking hours.

Ray Down

Banned
Ok, now that's dangerous, be safe. What do you do that makes you work such heinous hours?

A guy at working is leaving for two weeks and I wanted some extra hours so the boss gav me some of his time.

Normally my work isn't that bad and I don't get tired, but when you throw in 3 seven hour days it gets to you. Luckily I only have three more days and two of them are only 5 hours.

I will be safe, that wasn't even the most dangerous time I was in a car.

A guy at working is leaving for two weeks and I wanted some extra hours so the boss gav me some of his time.

Normally my work isn't that bad and I don't get tired, but when you throw in 3 seven hour days it gets to you. Luckily I only have three more days and two of them are only 5 hours.

I will be safe, that wasn't even the most dangerous time I was in a car.
Ok, be well. You a college student as well?

Yeah I'm effing tired here at work as well.

I'm a technical consultant that supports 10 account executives and I just got 7 more thrown my way because they aren't performing well...fuuuuu.

Do your jobs dammit.

*looks around thread*

*sees no one posted in a while*

*clears throat*

Fuck Bataar Jr.
Fuck his momma
Fuck Mako
Fuck his eyebrows and that horrible hair do
Fuck the Borg Collective
Fuck Book 2 especially that Kaiju battle
Book 1 is overrated
Amon ain't shit
and Kuvira is Toa's waifu

EDIT... when the fuck did I get a tag?!?!?!

Toa TAK

Banned
Haha at that tag.

And no, she's not my waifu for the zillionth time.

Also I've given up hope for a soundtrack release at this point.

*looks around thread*

*sees no one posted in a while*

*clears throat*

Fuck Bataar Jr.
Fuck his momma
Fuck Mako
Fuck his eyebrows and that horrible hair do
Fuck the Borg Collective
Fuck Book 2 especially that Kaiju battle
Book 1 is overrated
Amon ain't shit
and Kuvira is Toa's waifu

EDIT... when the fuck did I get a tag?!?!?!

Was that a discussion that we ever had?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom