• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Deimos

I fucking died when the minions started pounding on him LOL
rtHxx1D.gif

hahahahahahha what a chump

John Stewart best GL.

Just got back from work, wasn't that bad today.

Nah not a college student this semester, decided to go full time at my job this semester to show I'm committed to that place.

But if things work out at this place, I won't need to go back anytime soon.
Getting a degree does help man so just be aware of that fact. If you can see if you can take some night courses to finish up whatever program you were enrolled in.
CLEAN IT UP KIDS
4624428+_11da5083c1571d0e47fd07241c58dadb.gif
You have merely adopted the lewd, I was born in it, molded by it. Why is Brock polishing a silver
testicle
in a kids show?

JLU: Far From Home:

Why is Superman such a parental dunderhead, he doesn't notice anything regarding Kara's growth. Olly is a very observant character, it's great. Too bad it took me this long to appreciate Olly, Kara grew up a lot on this show.

Ancient History:

Why is GL jobbing to a guy in a top hat? Shayera all about hitting dem weights. GL, stealing Hawkman's bae for 8000 years. Why is Shadow Thief so fucking OP? Shayera shot a death glare at John over that BS "I won't be destiny's puppet" speech. You know you love her John so quit being retarded!!!

Altairre

Alright, I finished book 4. As expected I really enjoyed it though book 3 is still my favorite one. I feel that Kuvira turned evil a bit too fast, they could've gotten a little bit more mileage out of that. However I cannot stress enough how much this show ended up benefitting from the turned down romance. The interactions between the characters just work so much better without it.

The finale itself was a bit much for me, I'm not a huge fan of the giant mecha shooting pink spirit vine energy though I do appreciate how it gave most of the characters a chance to do something cool. It also seems like they realised how OP Jinora is and toned her down for the finale since we didn't get a "Jinora saves the day" moment this time (shouldn't have allowed her to get those tattoos Tenzin, now she has no incentive anymore). Oh and old, grumpy Toph is the best.

Anyway, now I'm bummed out that it's over and that we most likely won't get another Avatar series even though the concept is way too good to never be used again.

Hamlet

Alright, I finished book 4. As expected I really enjoyed it though book 3 is still my favorite one. I feel that Kuvira turned evil a bit too fast, they could've gotten a little bit more mileage out of that. However I cannot stress enough how much this show ended up benefitting from the turned down romance. The interactions between the characters just work so much better without it.

The finale itself was a bit much for me, I'm not a huge fan of the giant mecha shooting pink spirit vine energy though I do appreciate how it gave most of the characters a chance to do something cool. It also seems like they realised how OP Jinora is and toned her down for the finale since we didn't get a "Jinora saves the day" moment this time (shouldn't have allowed her to get those tattoos Tenzin, now she has no incentive anymore). Oh and old, grumpy Toph is the best.

Anyway, now I'm bummed out that it's over and that we most likely won't get another Avatar series even though the concept is way too good to never be used again.
Glad to hear you liked it. While its quite not the same, there are still comics continuing the storyline from Avatar The Last Airbender being released. Plus its canon and resolves certain storylines from the show
cough Zuko's mum
. No Korra comics though sadly.
Hopefully we'll get more avatar some time in the future as its still such a rich universe. Best thing coming up is a new animated dreamworks show that has most of the Korra krew behind it and Studio Mir are animating it.

Don't you make comments about our Lord and Savior Jinora!!

It's all about Zhao now. Hail Zhao the Moon Slayer.
ZhmaHaS.gif

Altairre

Glad to hear you liked it. While its quite not the same, there are still comics continuing the storyline from Avatar The Last Airbender being released. Plus its canon and resolves certain storylines from the show
cough Zuko's mum
Hopefully we'll get more avatar some time in the future as its still such a rich universe. Best thing coming up is a new animated dreamworks show that has most of the Korra krew behind it and Studio Mir are animating it.

Interesting. Did they release any details about it? Hopefully it gets the timeslot and marketing it deserves because I want to see more animated series succeed. I'm still mad about Tron: Uprising, that show had so much potential and they threw it out to die.

Hamlet

Interesting. Did they release any details about it? Hopefully it gets the timeslot and marketing it deserves because I want to see more animated series succeed. I'm still mad about Tron: Uprising, that show had so much potential and they threw it out to die.

No details so far. Apart from Mike and Bryan calling it Korra 2.0 due having a lot of the korra krew on it,
Might not be for a while also as they only just started on it http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/114871349262/giancarlovolpe-2-cents-1st-animatic-edit-on

Hoping it's on Netflix and yeah the way Disney treated Tron Uprising was shameful. Still pissed at them moving it to a midnight slot halfway through the season ugh.

Ray Down

Banned
Getting a degree does help man so just be aware of that fact. If you can see if you can take some night courses to finish up whatever program you were enrolled in.

Yeah a degree will help but at this time I'm still in training here plus other stuff like trying to find an apartment for me and my twin bro and such I just don't have the time atm.

Besides there plenty of people at this place without degrees that are doing great, Im extremely lucky I got this job and once I finish training Ill be making 20 an hour.

Yeah a degree will help but at this time I'm still in training here plus other stuff like trying to find an apartment for me and my twin bro and such I just don't have the time atm.

Besides there plenty of people at this place without degrees that are doing great, Im extremely lucky I got this job and once I finish training Ill be making 20 an hour.
Depending on where you live that's not that bad.

Kyle needs more appearances in DC animation, I don't know shit about him. He appears I think twice in JL/U. Maybe I should start reading the comics.
He has a dedicated episode in Superman The Animated Series called In Brightest Day.... It's pretty good and it's essentially Kyle's origin story. I'd check that out if I were you. It's not his exact story, mind you, but it's definitely Kyle.

You have merely adopted the lewd, I was born in it, molded by it. Why is Brock polishing a silver
testicle
in a kids show?

JLU: Far From Home:

Why is Superman such a parental dunderhead, he doesn't notice anything regarding Kara's growth. Olly is a very observant character, it's great. Too bad it took me this long to appreciate Olly, Kara grew up a lot on this show.

Ancient History:

Why is GL jobbing to a guy in a top hat? Shayera all about hitting dem weights. GL, stealing Hawkman's bae for 8000 years. Why is Shadow Thief so fucking OP? Shayera shot a death glare at John over that BS "I won't be destiny's puppet" speech. You know you love her John so quit being retarded!!!
Far From Home is amazing and don't you dare talk shit about Gentleman Ghost.

HAHAHA JINORA OP?! WHAT?!

Since when? She was never OP, and even if you want to site Book 2, they explain it away as "Harmonic Convergence LOL." Book 4 was taking a developing storyline and throwing it in the trash instead of making something of it.
They're telling me to get a camera twice what my budget is. I clearly stated that I have a budget, nope, who cares.
And that's why GAF recommendations are terrible, because they don't listen. They recommend the best, and if you don't like the answer, then you're bad at whatever.

Ray Down

Banned
Who cares about all that I want mah Korra soundtrack.

At this point I only see two ways we will get them:

1. Jermey goes all season 2 Korra/Kuvira on the Nick executives asses until they release them.

2. Jeremy "accidentally" gets his computer hacked and all the tracks are leaked online in good condition.

I mean seriously, how is this shit not on itunes yet?

He has a dedicated episode in Superman The Animated Series called In Brightest Day.... It's pretty good and it's essentially Kyle's origin story. I'd check that out if I were you. It's not his exact story, mind you, but it's definitely Kyle.

Far From Home is amazing and don't you dare talk shit about Gentleman Ghost.

And that's why GAF recommendations are terrible, because they don't listen. They recommend the best, and if you don't like the answer, then you're bad at whatever.
The episode was great. With Kara growing up, but it just seems to show that Superman would be a horrible dad, he doesn't pay attention to people. I thought it was just a Young Justice thing, but nope, it's proven in Justice League too. Gentleman Ghost almost killed GL with a cane, I almost laughed my ass off with that. On the topic of GL:
whats-wrong-with-you.gif

Get over your bull shit and bang the shit out of Shayera already. Everybody on the watchtower knows he wants to. Is everybody in JLU an actual comic book character cause they pull the most random people from god knows where into that show. It's refreshing to not get the cliched rogues, but some times it just feels random. Gaf can't recommend shit half the god damn time. "my budget is $200 and this seems nice for that price." "It's shit go buy this $600 camera" I have bills you assholes.

Altairre

HAHAHA JINORA OP?! WHAT?!

Since when? She was never OP, and even if you want to site Book 2, they explain it away as "Harmonic Convergence LOL." Book 4 was taking a developing storyline and throwing it in the trash instead of making something of it.

The fact that they explain it away doesn't make it any less of a deus ex machina moment in which she somehow creates a spirit explosion that leads to the defeat of Unalaq. In book 3 Korra would have died and Zaheer would have succeeded if it wasn't for her and the airbending tornado. There's none of that in the book 4 finale which is why I was jokingly suggesting that they toned her down.

Veelk

Banned

I don't know shit about camera's, but I want to get better at recommending stuff. Stories in particular (whatever the medium). I try to listen to what the person is looking for, and delivering that, while also giving them something they wouldn't expect in that story.

Ray Down

Banned

Agreed on the romance bit, honestly I din't mind the mecha (some say because I like mecha anime) I remember my cousin said it should have been part of a train. And then i was just thinking all you would have to do is blow up two parts of the track and then its isolated and that a giant mech just makes it more of a threat due to mobility and range.

Tenzin realized his mistake, he going to make the rest of the airbenders work to the bone until they get there tattoos.

The avatar verse will probably continue in comic form, as Hamlet said even some of the lose plot from ATLA get resolved in the comics. We will probably see Korra comics since the Avatr comics for what they are sell well and Nick has hinted it.

cough Zuko's mum

It's all about Zhao now. Hail Zhao the Moon Slayer.
ZhmaHaS.gif

Still wonder what that dreamworks show will be, hopefully its better then the ones they have cause there not good especially that Kung Fu Panda one.

Everytime I see Zhao now I think of Aasif Mandvi in the avatar movie.

What do you need from AutoGaf? I've posted there a bit, I think they have accepted me into their ranks somewhat (not really)

bump
It was late last year when I was trying to get car recommendations, got no answer. I currently just pop in occasionally to read something, but I really don't post.
Agreed on the romance bit, honestly I din't mind the mecha (some say because I like mecha anime) I remember my cousin said it should have been part of a train. And then i was just thinking all you would have to do is blow up two parts of the track and then its isolated and that a giant mech just makes it more of a threat due to mobility and range.

Tenzin realized his mistake, he going to make the rest of the airbenders work to the bone until they get there tattoos.
Amon and Kuvira were probably the most well prepared of the villains, always a counter for something. What kind of mecha shows you like?

The episode was great. With Kara growing up, but it just seems to show that Superman would be a horrible dad, he doesn't pay attention to people. I thought it was just a Young Justice thing, but nope, it's proven in Justice League too. Gentleman Ghost almost killed GL with a cane, I almost laughed my ass off with that. On the topic of GL:
whats-wrong-with-you.gif

Get over your bull shit and bang the shit out of Shayera already. Everybody on the watchtower knows he wants to. Is everybody in JLU an actual comic book character cause they pull the most random people from god knows where into that show. It's refreshing to not get the cliched rogues, but some times it just feels random. Gaf can't recommend shit half the god damn time. "my budget is $200 and this seems nice for that price." "It's shit go buy this $600 camera" I have bills you assholes.
To answer the bolded: Yes.

In response to Superman being a terrible dad: I think you have to look at it from his perspective (and that's why it helps so much to watch STAS in this case) in that he just doesn't "get" Kara. No matter what he did for her, she always felt out of place in the world. She came to Earth after already having entered her teens, whereas Clark was raised on Earth from infancy. So whereas Clark has completely adapted to Earth norm, as that's the condition he was raised in, Kara has this constant adjustment period. It's part of the reason why she feels so comfortable getting into the swing of being Supergirl. As for YJ: That one is justified as well. If your younger clone showed up out of the blue one day, and he was created by your worst enemy, how would you feel towards said clone? "Parental" is probably not the first set of feelings and emotions to come to mind.
The fact that they explain it away doesn't make it any less of a deus ex machina moment in which she somehow creates a spirit explosion that leads to the defeat of Unalaq. In book 3 Korra would have died and Zaheer would have succeeded if it wasn't for her and the airbending tornado. There's none of that in the book 4 finale which is why I was jokingly suggesting that they toned her down.
She wasn't able to do any of the things she did without other people. A DEM ending doesn't make her overpowered. Jinora constantly gets kidnapped and needs other people to save her, and there isn't a single major feat she accomplished without anyone else. And again, even if you wanted to count Book 2, it got explained away as Harmonic Convergence, so she can't even do it anymore if she wanted to.
I don't know shit about camera's, but I want to get better at recommending stuff. Stories in particular (whatever the medium). I try to listen to what the person is looking for, and delivering that, while also giving them something they wouldn't expect in that story.

And I'm not saying everyone is bad at suggesting things. But GAF recommendation threads and shit like that go horridly south every time. It's such a bummer. There was an anime recommendation thread (I can't recall it) where the person listed what they had seen, and I think one of the anime was Bleach, and someone goes "Oh you like Bleach? You should watch Darker Than Black then."

Like, what? They're not even remotely similar in any sense at all aside from both being anime that take place primarily in Japan.

Veelk

Banned
And I'm not saying everyone is bad at suggesting things. But GAF recommendation threads and shit like that go horridly south every time. It's such a bummer. There was an anime recommendation thread (I can't recall it) where the person listed what they had seen, and I think one of the anime was Bleach, and someone goes "Oh you like Bleach? You should watch Darker Than Black then."

Like, what? They're not even remotely similar in any sense at all aside from both being anime that take place primarily in Japan.

I'm about to write a thread asking for gaf's suggestions on mixed drinks and I'm worried about that. "Oh, you want a fun party drink without too much alcohol? Well, the first thing you get is some absinthe...."

To answer the bolded: Yes.

In response to Superman being a terrible dad: I think you have to look at it from his perspective (and that's why it helps so much to watch STAS in this case) in that he just doesn't "get" Kara. No matter what he did for her, she always felt out of place in the world. She came to Earth after already having entered her teens, whereas Clark was raised on Earth from infancy. So whereas Clark has completely adapted to Earth norm, as that's the condition he was raised in, Kara has this constant adjustment period. It's part of the reason why she feels so comfortable getting into the swing of being Supergirl. As for YJ: That one is justified as well. If your younger clone showed up out of the blue one day, and he was created by your worst enemy, how would you feel towards said clone? "Parental" is probably not the first set of feelings and emotions to come to mind.
Considering the fact I'd probably try to straight up murder my clone you bring up an excellent point. Just sort of wish they'd show Superman in a better light regarding that point I guess...oh yeah they did. It was when he had that hallucination plant thing on his chest that Mongol put on him. He seemed to be pretty good to the kid.

Ray Down

Banned
Is Detroit better now or is it still Robocop era Detroit? I mean no offense with this question.

Its still bad with abandoned buildings every where and no one taking care of certain neighborhoods but its getting better, with the bankruptcy getting settled and the new arena being built more business is coming in which is good.

I'm still mad the city refused to build that Robocop statue that was proposed.

Altairre

The avatar verse will probably continue in comic form, as Hamlet said even some of the lose plot from ATLA get resolved in the comics. We will probably see Korra comics since the Avatr comics for what they are sell well and Nick has hinted it.

See, I don't necessarily mind mecha stuff but in this case it just felt out of place. For me the highlights in Avatar are always the bending fights especially one on one. Now you could argue that we already got the Korra - Kuvira fight earlier in the season (and a brief glimpse during the fight in the cockpit) but they showed time and time again that they're able to add a neat twist to those fights (like the air fight at the end of book 3) so I would have preferred that. I don't blame them for trying something new though.

As for the comics, well, I probably won't read those. While the Avatar series do show some great storytelling the animation just adds so much to it. I also generally don't like reading comics even if I enjoy the subject matter (I love most of the Marvel movies but can't get into those comics either).

She wasn't able to do any of the things she did without other people. A DEM ending doesn't make her overpowered. Jinora constantly gets kidnapped and needs other people to save her, and there isn't a single major feat she accomplished without anyone else. And again, even if you wanted to count Book 2, it got explained away as Harmonic Convergence, so she can't even do it anymore if she wanted to.

I know that and I wasn't actually being serious when I wrote that. It's just something that is very noticeable when you watch the last three seasons consecutively. Korra is fucked at the end of book 2 -> Jinora saves the day. Korra is fucked at the end of book 3 -> Jinora saves the day (yes she needed Kai to create enough wind but it was her idea when nobody else knew what to do). Maybe the writers realised that as well and thought "well we can't pull this shit again".
I doubt it
I was kind of thinking that she might be able to overload the spirit vines with her spirit thingy but that didn't happen. At that point they should have just made her the Avatar. And Korra is pretty good at getting kidnapped herself.

Ray Down

Banned
Guys seriously: soundtrack>comics.

I need it.

You need to do something about this.

Honestly dress up as Kuvira and go into Nick offices making demands, they will be so freaked out about a grown ass man dressed as his waifu the would give into your demands.

Ray Down

Banned
As for the comics, well, I probably won't read those. While the Avatar series do show some great storytelling the animation just adds so much to it. I also generally don't like reading comics even if I enjoy the subject matter (I love most of the Marvel movies but can't get into those comics either).

I can understand that, its one of the reasons I can't get into that Samurai Jack comic (plus its just alright), If you ever try I will say the comic capture the avatar style in the drawings.

Also, because I din't mention it in the last post I enjoyed Toph in season 4. Reminds me what did you think of her skipping out on the fight cause she was too old?

Altairre

I can understand that, its one of the reasons I can't get into that Samurai Jack comic (plus its just alright), If you ever try I will say the comic capture the avatar style in the drawings.

Also, because I din't mention it in the last post I enjoyed Toph in season 4. Reminds me what did you think of her skipping out on the fight cause she was too old?

I actually liked that a lot, same with the role they gave Katara and Zuko. It shows that they're not clinging to those characters too much just because they were the center of the first series. They are there and have a place in that world but it isn't about them anymore. We saw a brief glimpse of Toph kicking ass earlier (just like Zuko in book 3), which was neat to see but it fits with the attitude I'd expect those characters to have that they would let the new generation handle it. At that point they have to be capable enough (and Toph made sure of that herself with Korra).

Ray Down

Banned
I will respond later on my phone at work and the boss is coming back soon but for the thirsty people here.

tumblr_nn32ceKfMS1qc5gi6o1_500.jpg

Fly away to ember island, and enjoy the beautiful beaches, and the gorgeous views! Catch some sun, but be careful to not get burned!

Toa TAK

Banned
Keep posting it in this thread isn't going to happen Toa! At this point Zelda Williams has a better chance to show up at your doorstep in Kuvira cosplay than the OST releasing.

You need to do something about this.

Honestly dress up as Kuvira and go into Nick offices making demands, they will be so freaked out about a grown ass man dressed as his waifu the would give into your demands.
You guys suck.

I actually liked that a lot, same with the role they gave Katara and Zuko. It shows that they're not clinging to those characters too much just because they were the center of the first series. They are there and have a place in that world but it isn't about them anymore. We saw a brief glimpse of Toph kicking ass earlier (just like Zuko in book 3), which was neat to see but it fits with the attitude I'd expect those characters to have that they would let the new generation handle it. At that point they have to be capable enough (and Toph made sure of that herself with Korra).
Her chickening out was bs. Bumi in Avatar was old as dirt and had no qualms at all with throwing down.
This picture needs more Ty Lee and less Azula.
More like needs more Ty Lee on top of Azula.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom