• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to write a thread asking for gaf's suggestions on mixed drinks and I'm worried about that. "Oh, you want a fun party drink without too much alcohol? Well, the first thing you get is some absinthe...."
"...and that's it. Just slam that absinthe. Fantastic for parties and baby showers."
Considering the fact I'd probably try to straight up murder my clone you bring up an excellent point. Just sort of wish they'd show Superman in a better light regarding that point I guess...oh yeah they did. It was when he had that hallucination plant thing on his chest that Mongol put on him. He seemed to be pretty good to the kid.
Well that was his biggest fantasy. The thing is Superman and Batman have the same problem in that they are so dedicated to their work that it consumes their lives. The difference is that Supes accomplishes his issues in the blink of an eye. The trade-off is that whenever Supes has a big problem, it's world-ending. Batman's biggest issues are "this robbery has question marks at the scene" or "this murder used laughing gas." It's these reasons why Kara didn't feel as connected to Clark
I know that and I wasn't actually being serious when I wrote that. It's just something that is very noticeable when you watch the last three seasons consecutively. Korra is fucked at the end of book 2 -> Jinora saves the day. Korra is fucked at the end of book 3 -> Jinora saves the day (yes she needed Kai to create enough wind but it was her idea when nobody else knew what to do). Maybe the writers realised that as well and thought "well we can't pull this shit again".
I doubt it
I was kind of thinking that she might be able to overload the spirit vines with her spirit thingy but that didn't happen. At that point they should have just made her the Avatar. And Korra is pretty good at getting kidnapped herself.
I just noticed you mentioned you were joking previously, but a lot of those things you mentioned is what makes Jinora's character in B4 so damn disappointing. I stand by that she is the most misused and underwritten character in the entire franchise, second only to Asami. Also, at least Korra's kidnappings make sense. In B1, it was because of OP-ass bloodbending. In B3, it was because of a hostage situation and also the Red Lotus is top tier. Kidnapping Jinora is as easy as saying "hey, come here. Stay here. Don't move. Tying you up, and leaving. Thanks for complying."
Su permanently scarred Lin and wasn't even that remorseful about it when she did it. She came off as "why am I even in this room?" Man so even Azula didn't even fully buy into Ozai's Kool Aid then. Dude was half ass if he couldn't even indoctrinate his own kids properly.
Su apologized when they were adults and tried to make up. Lin is a self-sabotaging human being, and everyone around her knew it. Su was a kid, and kids are dumb. Lin blamed everyone else for her problems. I can't empathize or even sympathize with a person like that. The worst part is that, while I understand her anger, it's the fact that Toph and Su both attempted to make reparations and Lin rejected them. Presumably because of some "you don't understand" bullshit, but she didn't even bother to accept their attempt and help them to understand. Like, a huge chunk of that is Lin's own fault.
Fuck Kratos.
PREACH
Kratos needed to stop listening to Linkin Park.
I resent that. I love LP, and I am in no way mopey or angsty. I'm a jolly motherfucker.

I was mopey and angsty once, but that time has passed.

360pages

My problem with Skyward sword is that it was far too big to fit into a Copy Pasta game like it. You'd think that for the origin story of the whole series it would have a budget similar to Twilight Princess.

That and the story it was telling really didn't need to be told. Compare it to the Minish cap and how the two stories are delivered. The Minish cap knew its size so it kept the origin story it was trying to tell small. It was about Link's hat, not the master sword or Ganon or anything else.

Ray Down

Banned
I actually liked that a lot, same with the role they gave Katara and Zuko. It shows that they're not clinging to those characters too much just because they were the center of the first series. They are there and have a place in that world but it isn't about them anymore. We saw a brief glimpse of Toph kicking ass earlier (just like Zuko in book 3), which was neat to see but it fits with the attitude I'd expect those characters to have that they would let the new generation handle it. At that point they have to be capable enough (and Toph made sure of that herself with Korra).

Yeah Bryke said the same thing, that they would really only bring back old characters if they served a purpose.

Her chickening out was bs. Bumi in Avatar was old as dirt and had no qualms at all with throwing down.
More like needs more Ty Lee on top of Azula.

To be fair she 92 in book 4 thats freaking old, hell she older then every one of the old white lotus members in the finale (don't know about Paku) besides Bumi who is pretty much an abnormality like Kyoshi. No normal man lives that long in that condition.

The chick that voices azula ships it, I always find it funny the voice actors ship people too.

The chick that voices azula ships it, I always find it funny the voice actors ship people too.
Anybody here know what Ty Lee's voice actress looks like? Can we ship the VA's of the characters that we ship? I mean Feenix and I already ship Zelda Williams with Janet Varney.
Oh, any news any anything Avatar related?
It's in a very deep hole in the ground.
Q3OjVSu.gif

Nickolodeon just keeps on digging.

JLU: Alive:

It's like Lex knew they would try to mutiny on him and just had countermeasures in place for everybody. Tala didn't know what hit her. Only Lex could make a warp drive out of a cloaking field, he'd be so dangerous in a Star Trek show. Lex just straight up murdered Grodd. Lex is just standing there trash talking Metron, is there anybody Lex won't trash talk? "Brainiac, I'm cumming." Yes you are Lex, yes you are. You brought back the wrong bad guy Lex. You know shit's fucked when Lex is asking Superman for help.

Destroyer:

Even while being rescued Lex and his crew are assholes, lol shooting the guy in the back. "Oh come on it's Lex flippin' Luthor!" Toy Man's weapons are the craziest things I swear to god. Wrecked some minions with an OP Nerf gun lol. Darkseid has the best "your world will burn" speeches, "let's go." "Super or otherwise, you're merely a man, but I am a God." I love Darkseid. Dat "World of cardboard" speech. "Sorry it took me so long, I had to get my power suit." This is the best Luthor. And I'm done, it's a very hard show not to love. No wonder why I re watch this every year or so, what a fucking ride.

Altairre

You know I never cared enough about anything in the GoW games to get upset about Kratos' character or any of his actions. Those games were always just there to looks at the setpieces and kill some stuff (though the killing stuff aspect itself is pretty underwhelming especially since character action is one of my favorite genres). The qtes were pretty hot shit at the time and even I didn't mind them in GoW. It is incredibly annoying that so many games copied it (often times worse than the original) but I wouldn't necessarily blame GoW for that.

The one character I really hated in recent memory is Aiden fucking Pearce. Fuck that guy, he is so fucking terrible. In addition to the writing Watchdogs has one of the worst cases of ludonarrative dissonance (as Patrick Klepek would say) I've ever seen. That game had so much potential and it ended up being one of the worst games of the year and what brought it from "uninspired and hella boring" tier to "absolute shit" tier were the characters. The writing in the Assassin's Creed series is pretty bad, especially in the most recent entries but fuck me if they haven't outdone themselves with Watchdogs. And I didn't even fucking finish that game because I just couldn't bring myself to continue even though I was almost at the end. You know who should have been the main character in Watchdogs? Clara. Because even though she was underdeveloped and clichéd as fuck at least she was tangentially interesting and didn't make me want to punch her face in everytime she was on screen which is more than I can say about Aiden. The worst thing is that (Spoilers for Watchdogs follow which you shouldn't give a shit about) Clara gets ambushed and killed (in a typical "protagonist is too late to save the damsel in distress situation") while Aiden survives despite all the terrible shit he's done. Way to go Ubisoft.

You know I never cared enough about anything in the GoW games to get upset about Kratos' character or any of his actions. Those games were always just there to looks at the setpieces and kill some stuff (though the killing stuff aspect itself is pretty underwhelming especially since character action is one of my favorite genres). The qtes were pretty hot shit at the time and even I didn't mind them in GoW. It is incredibly annoying that so many games copied it (often times worse than the original) but I wouldn't necessarily blame GoW for that.

The one character I really hated in recent memory is Aiden fucking Pearce. Fuck that guy, he is so fucking terrible. In addition to the writing Watchdogs has one of the worst cases of ludonarrative dissonance (as Patrick Klepek would say) I've ever seen. That game had so much potential and it ended up being one of the worst games of the year and what brought it from "uninspired and hella boring" tier to "absolute shit" tier were the characters. The writing in the Assassin's Creed series is pretty bad, especially in the most recent entries but fuck me if they haven't outdone themselves with Watchdogs. And I didn't even fucking finish that game because I just couldn't bring myself to continue even though I was almost at the end. You know who should have been the main character in Watchdogs? Clara. Because even though she was underdeveloped and clichéd as fuck at least she was tangentially interesting and didn't make me want to punch her face in everytime she was on screen which is more than I can say about Aiden. The worst thing is that (Spoilers for Watchdogs follow which you shouldn't give a shit about) Clara gets ambushed and killed (in a typical "protagonist is too late to save the damsel in distress situation") while Aiden survives despite all the terrible shit he's done. Way to go Ubisoft.
Q3OjVSu.gif

I couldn't even be bothered to pay attention to the narrative in Watchdogs.

I honestly was not expecting to be so excited reading that new chapter. Forgot how much I actually enjoyed reading chapters of Naruto as they come out.

Kishi is the ultimate troll, holy crap.

Sakura confirmed to be a bigger simp than Mako. Damn the recent Naruto spoilers...

Bruh I just read the manga today.

I swear, I am about to take anything I said back about Mako or Bataar if Sakura is indeed pulling the Super Saiyasimp IV shit... Wow.

She is the official simp of the millennium.

It's official, Sakura ate the biggest L of the series hands down , I'm still laughing at that shit.
So the jist seems to be that Sakura married Sasuke, but the girl in question might not even be her kid and Sasuke just had Sakura take care of his daughter that he had with another woman. That's some fucked up hilarious shit and I don't even care about these characters.
sesame-street-letter-l-o.gif

Some people just can't let it go.
H1SiXDe.gif

So the jist seems to be that Sakura married Sasuke, but the girl in question might not even be her kid. That's some fucked up hilarious shit and I don't even care about these characters.
sesame-street-letter-l-o.gif

Here's why this L is so hilarious

Naruto been thirstin Sakura since day one.
She always turned down his advances and she was thirstin Sasuke.
Sasuke however wanted nothing to do with her, even after he came back he still treated her like shit.
After the war is over , Naruto finally wisened up and got with the much much better looking Hinata (who been thirsting him for years) then he becomes the leader of the Leaf Village

Sakura got her man, who not only left her ass but left a kid that ain't even hers with her.

So satisfying.

Here's why this L is so hilarious

Naruto been thirstin Sakura since day one.
She always turned down his advances and she was thirstin Sasuke.
Sasuke however wanted nothing to do with her, even after he came back he still treated her like shit.
After the war is over , Naruto finally wisened up and got with the much much better looking Hinata (who been thirsting him for years) then he becomes the leader of the Leaf Village

Sakura got her man, who not only left her ass but left a kid that ain't even hers with her.

So satisfying.
Damn that's hilarious. Sasuke must be a huge douche bag and Sakura must be straight up stupid.

360pages

Even if it is a redherring Sasuke left for 12 years. His daughter doesn't even know what he looks like. I take back all the bad things I said about the Gangs bad parenting.

Veelk

Banned
Even if it is a redherring Sasuke left for 12 years. His daughter doesn't even know what he looks like. I take back all the bad things I said about the Gangs bad parenting.
Want to know the worst thing about this? The ENTIRE manga, the one thing he's been unable to get over is how he couldn't grow up with his parents. He never stopped bitching about it. He's worse than Batman about it.

Now he abandons his own kid.

I think Sarada is pretty awesome right now but damn at those unfortunate implications those last few pages seem to be weaving lol.

Guess we'll have to see and hopefully get the true rundown.

Veelk

Banned
What if he was actually out doing something crucial though.
Sasuke has went from abandoning his village to becoming a world class criminal, attacking the world leaders, to flat out supporting genocide because he placed the Uchiha family is literally the only important thing in the world to him.

There is literally nothing in the world that would be more important to this character than raising his child.

Unless if what he's doing is monitoring something that could potentially be a threat for everyone, which would be protecting his daughter.

I'm expecting it to be totally lame though.

Veelk

Banned
Unless if what he's doing is monitoring something that could potentially be a threat for everyone, which would be protecting his daughter.

I'm expecting it to be totally lame though.

Doesn't matter. He knows the pain of being raised alone and he wouldn't put ANYONE through that. Also, if it was as serious as that, he couldn't take shifts with someone or another to watch it?

Stop defending this tripe. Kishi will give some half ass excuse and we'll poke a thousand holes in it because the fucking WORLD could end, and Sasuke still ought to consider it more important to raise his daughter.

If he's off doing something that he can only keep in check by keeping a close eye on, it would be more crucial than staying at the village to raise Sadara, because otherwise wherever threat that's out there would put her in more danger.

This is an if scenario, I already told you I'm expecting it to be lame.

Veelk

Banned
It's contrived, and still unbelievable. To Sasuke, there is nothing worse than living without a parent. If his child has to die young with the rest of the world to grow up with a father, so be it. Sasuke is exactly the kind of fucking lunatic that would make that conclusion, because "Uchihas". You're putting in rationality that isn't in his character. Even if that's the excuse Kishi goes with, it's still out of character.

I'm just saying it'd be more important to monitor a threat and keep it in check so it doesn't kill his daughter. What's the point of raising Sadara at the village if that threat gone get out of hand and mess things up.

Veelk

Banned
I'm just saying it'd be more important to monitor a threat and keep it in check so it doesn't kill his daughter. What's the point of raising Sadara at the village if that threat gone get out of hand and mess things up.

The error you keep making is that you assume that Sasuke is a rational creature. He prioritizes the uchiha's to the point of making insane decisions, like thinking if he genocides the entirety of Konoha, that'll 'redeem' his family name somehow when it'd actually make them the most hated clan in the world. Whats the point or raising Sadara if her life is going to be fucked anyway? Because he's raising an Uchiha, everything else is secondary.

Sasuke is demented. This is part off his character, which was a stupid fucking turn in the first place, but as a writer, you can't just arbitrarily turn away from that once you've written it in. In any case, it is bad writing.

That doesn't mean he NEVER makes sense. I don't see how it'd be out of character if he realized that the Uchiha clan would have a better chance at continuing if he monitored this threat to give a better chance to defend/fight against it to keep Sadara safe. (If it's actually that serious of a threat) That would be prioritizing the Uchiha in the long run rather than caring about the particular feelings of his daughter.

Veelk

Banned
That doesn't mean he NEVER makes sense. I don't see how it'd be out of character if he realized that the Uchiha clan would have a better chance at continuing if he monitored this threat to give a better chance to defend/fight against it to keep Sadara safe. (If it's actually that serious of a threat)
You don't see a lot of things, Icy.

He finds prioritizing the Uchiha clan's survival more important than his daughters feelings about him not being there. Sounds like Sasuke to me.

Veelk

Banned
He finds prioritizing the Uchiha clan's survival more important than his daughters feelings about him not being there. Sounds like Sasuke to me.

I know it does. The same way an elephant sounds like elevator music.
Not at all.

Edit: If Sasuke cared about the Uchiha clan in the way you describe (their actual existance rather than their wellbeing), then the reason he hasn't been to see his daughter is because he has been marrying and having children with various other women in different countries because he needs genetic diversity to restart the clan with minimalized inbreeding. Because THAT is putting clan survival over their feelings. But keep in mind that he prioritized 'redeeming' the uchiha name before repairing their actual infrastructure, where he went on a suicidal mission that could have wiped the Uchiha name off the face of the earth forever.

So yes, it sounds like sasuke if you have been paying no attention to his character at all.

The main reason he had a kid was likely to keep the lineage going, so him doing what he thinks is most crucial to protecting it would be to monitor the threat that could pose to be a real danger to attaining that goal. How is that so impossibly out of character for Sasuke?

Veelk

Banned
This is the problem with discussing things with you. You cling to one idea and don't seem to comprehend when logical inconsistancies come up.

In this case, all you have to do is keep in mind that Sasuke bitching about how he grew up without parentless is literally the CORE of his character. He's made decisions that are flat out irrational and insane, and would even run counter to the goal that he is trying to achieve, and he does this because his grief has driven him insane.

You keep asking, how would it make sense for him to not protect the life of his lineage. The answer is it doesn't, because that's not his character. Because sasuke is not prone to things like "sense". He has willfully endangered the Uchiha line many times because he's prioritized redeeming their honor or whatever. His characterization has always been more concerned in having Uchiha's thrive rather than survive.

Now ignore literally everything I just said and ask yet again "But Veelk! How it makes sense for him to ignore his daughters survival?!" because of course you will.

Again, he's been irrational, but that doesn't mean he's never made sense, and that doing something that made sense would be out of character.

He was characterized in that way in the past, but he's gotten older, priories change, mindsets change/mature, and he definitely seemed to become more of a different person by 698/699. Considering those aspects, I see it as being an believable choice of action for his character.

Veelk

Banned
Even the Joker makes some sense more often than not, you can't really use that to assume rational on the one thing that made him jump on the crazy train most of the series.

Character development is a potential defense, but character development has been really badly written for a while before I dropped it, so I doubt that it's something that makes coherent sense with what he's doing now,but I'll have to read it myself before I buy into that theory.

Well I'd like to hear your thoughts on it if you read up, but I'm definitely not defending how the development was written, just acknowledging that it happened.

Veelk

Banned
Well I'd like to hear your thoughts on it if you read up, but I'm definitely not defending how the development was written, just acknowledging that it happened.
Badly written character development leads to badly written rationale for later decisions. If the reason that sasuke is away is rooted in badly written development, then the reason itself is nonsense.

Well I say by the end, his "crazy" has been considerably lessened, and it's based on that fact alone that contributes to my stance. How he got there is shaky though.

Veelk

Banned
Which makes his decisions after the fact similarly shakey. His crazy phase by itself was something that was unbelievably developed, so sasuke's actions have been badly written in for a long time because it's been infecting him for a while. Good writing isn't something you can easily just separate out from the characters bad writing. So it's highly doubtful that all of a sudden it's something it reconciles everything about his character history. The aggregate is too large.

Yes I know he was badly written, again, all I'm saying are those actions wouldn't be unbelievable considering the state of his character from how we last saw him, that and by what I feel would be a natural progression of his character just by maturing a little (to cover for timeskip stuff)

Veelk

Banned
Yes I know he was badly written, again, all I'm saying are those actions wouldn't be unbelievable considering the state of his character from how we last saw him, that and by what I feel would be a natural progression of his character just by maturing a little (to cover for timeskip stuff)
Yes it would be. That's what bad writing is. If you feel he is making believable progression, then you're saying he's well written.

Which makes his decisions after the fact similarly shakey. His crazy phase by itself was something that was unbelievably developed, so sasuke's actions have been badly written in for a long time because it's been infecting him for a while. Good writing isn't something you can easily just separate out from the characters bad writing. So it's highly doubtful that all of a sudden it's something it reconciles everything about his character history. The aggregate is too large.

Wont stop Kishi from trying though tbh :p

We spent about three posts last page talking about some show... I think it was called Korra or something.

Good job guys
It was longer than 3 posts. I think last page was when Veelk and the other guy got on me for calling Toph a bad parent (which she is, just better than Ozai) and calling Su a narcissist, which she is, but she has her redeeming qualities as well. Nope I just just checked, that stuff is I think page 303. At least Korra is a better show than Naruto, lol.

Veelk

Banned
It was longer than 3 posts. I think last page was when Veelk and the other guy got on me for calling Toph a bad parent (which she is, just better than Ozai) and calling Su a narcissist, which she is, but she has her redeeming qualities as well. Nope I just just checked, that stuff is I think page 303. At least Korra is a better show than Naruto, lol.
Don't make me break out the dsm and prove you wrong on Su.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom