• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was super bummed when
Kamina died because his over the top nature was what I enjoyed most.
Luckily people told me to keep going, as Simon becomes freaking amazing as well.
Simon earned his G status by the end. The tragedy is what he needed to become his own person and to eclipse Kamina.

-Deimos

Thinking back, I can't remember if I actually finished watching TTGL. I honestly don't remember anything that happened after the time skip but I'm pretty sure I finished it. Probably time for a re-watch.

They didn't have enough, they group up together And what happened just hurts after every watch.

Graces F is also pretty good.
Who is this Morrison?

I agree but its better than nothing i guess, still though :(

Grant Morrison is a comic book writer that some people really like for some reason (i dug his initial Genosha stuff with Xmen since it was just crazy as fuck)

Not studying for my tests :(

that's not good, unless you are an expert chef

I agree but its better than nothing i guess, still though :(

Grant Morrison is a comic book writer that some people really like for some reason (i dug his initial Genosha stuff with Xmen since it was just crazy as fuck)

that's not good, unless you are an expert chef
I wonder if Veelk argues with himself about himself.

There are no nearby "typical" fast food places around me. So I usually go with gyros/kebab pita if I want something quick. The place nearby where I get it from is not that particularly great, but it is cheap.

probably Chipotle, because I got Celiac's disease last year so I can't eat bread, or burgers.

Back in college though I lived off of subway.

edit: i'm on the new pc. I build it and had a mini panic attack because I thought it wouldn't post, when in reality I had my video cable going directly to the motherboard instead of the GPU. I'm dumb.

But it's so nice to see CSGO at highest settings at 60+fps.

-Deimos

probably Chipotle, because I got Celiac's disease last year so I can't eat bread, or burgers.

edit: i'm on the new pc. I build it and had a mini panic attack because I thought it wouldn't post, when in reality I had my video cable going directly to the motherboard instead of the GPU. I'm dumb.

When I built my cousin's PC I freaked out because it wouldn't turn on. I thought I fried the PSU but it turned out I forgot to connect the second power cable to the motherboard. Facepalm.

Oh and don't forget to clean it for dust every once in a while. I opened up my rig the other day and...I'm surprised the thing hasn't burst into flames yet.

Last time I ate at Subway I got a severe case of the flu, that was six years ago. I just started my new job and had no health insurance so going to the doctor was super expensive, fuck that place.

When I built my cousin's PC I freaked out because it wouldn't turn on. I thought I fried the PSU but it turned out I forgot to connect the second powercable to the motherboard. Facepalm.

Oh and don't forget to clean it for dust every once in a while. I opened up my rig the other day and...I'm surprised the thing hasn't burst into flames yet.

Been there, done that brother mine. As for the dust clearance, I recommend getting a electric duster. Got a Metro DataVac on the cheap from one of the TigerDirect closing dealies.

Last time I ate at Subway I got a severe case of the flu, that was six years ago. I just started my new job and had no health insurance so going to the doctor was super expensive, fuck that place.

I ate there way too much in my college days.

Probably had something to do with the fact that there was a 24 hour one across the street from my apartment.

360pages

I often wonder how writers of series go about writing said series? I mean do they have an skeleton and write the details between each major event? How did the Korra writers write most of their stories or EP.

I'm mostly asking because goddamn am I stumped right now.

Veelk

Banned
We shit on all of LoK's characters, but in a small effort to help rejuvenate the thread, let's discuss:

Who is your most liked character?
Which character is the most well written? (which is a very different question than the first)
Who is your most disliked character?
Who the least well written? (ditto)

I'll post mine assuming I survive my tests Tuesday. And be sure to explain why you feel that way, of course.

360pages

Hmm, most liked? Ah...honestly, I find a lot of them somewhat grating at times. Oddly enough the probably Varick.

Most well written? Probably Bolin oddly enough, mostly because he honestly felt like he did the most things and changed the most. Despite being a complete moron, at least he didn't really do anything flat out hateable.

CDiggity

Who is your most liked character? Amon
Which character is the most well written? I abstain, too much to consider
Who is your most disliked character? Unalaq
Who the least well written? Asami

Favorite food place is probably my local Pizza place, if I can choose that then...Maybe Jakes Burgers.

Also still one of my favorite scenes in DBZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFI53sUk_0
Man, I like Bruce's score more. Such a dope scene though, it's also one of my favorites.
We shit on all of LoK's characters, but in a small effort to help rejuvenate the thread, let's discuss:

Which character is the most well written? (which is a very different question than the first)

I'll post mine assuming I survive my tests Tuesday. And be sure to explain why you feel that way, of course.

My most liked character in TLoK? Ghazan. I really, really like him. He's a small character, for sure, but his belief system is one that I can understand. He believes that doing what he's doing will just let him be happy, and that's all he wants. He doesn't want to murder people, he just wants to achieve what he believes is a peaceful solution, and he's willing to accomplish that goal. He's not a fanatic, either. I like him.

Most well-written? Most would say Korra, and I'd agree, but I'm going to push Bolin. Since I don't think anyone else will.

Bolin's character arc is one I can appreciate. He's basically Xander from BtVS: a guy who hangs with all these super talented people who constantly know their purpose: Korra is the Avatar, Asami has the company, Mako becomes a cop, etc. Everyone important around him knows exactly what they're doing and what they want to do. They have a purpose and a drive. He doesn't. Or at least, he's not sure what his is.

In B1, he just wants to have a good, happy life. Get the girl, make money, have a roof and food. The good life. Then he starts to help people more and more, and gets dragged into the Avatar lifestyle. As time goes on and people move on, he kinda doesn't know what to do again. He tries to make the Fire Ferrets big, but that fails completely. So he goes to Korra, and when all the shit gets fucked, he tries to figure out a way to help. The problem is that everyone else is so far up their own asses, that they don't see that Bolin just wants to help. So he does what he believes is best, and gets manipulated (a common theme with Bolin). He gets pompous when it gets to his head, sure, but that's only because everyone else wrote him off and blew him off. He's hurt, but he gets over it when the need arises. In B3, he dedicates his full time to helping the Avatar and rebuilding the Air Nation. In B4, this ultimately translates to him helping Kuvira, since Korra is hurt and he isn't an airbender, this is the best way he can make a difference. When he realizes how fucked shit is, he goes against Kuvira, because she's the problem.

I think ultimately, Bolin just wants to make a difference. He wants to make people happy. That's why he's the entertainer, because that's what he knows in order to achieve his goal. But he also actually helps "fight the good fight" (so to speak), because to him, that's just another thing he can do to help. And yeah, he struggles, and can come off as childish and naive, but it's a purity that is welcome. When all the nitty gritty happens, Bolin is the one to be like "that shit? That shit right there? That's fucking no good." And it works! Sure, he gets played because of his naivete, but he's never darkened. He's a bright spot. He's a very empathetic character with a very empathetic arc. I appreciate how human he is.

Who is my most disliked character? I don't really have one. In order for me to dislike a character, I have to feel like their arc is unjustified. Irredeemable, no matter how hard they try to do so. There aren't any characters like that in TLoK for me. The closest is Mako, but it's not because I dislike him: it's because he's so bland. He's so nothing, and because of that, I just don't care about him. I don't dislike him, but I don't exactly like him either. He has moments, and I like his arc in B2, but beyond that I just don't quite care for him.

The least well-written character? Easy: Jinora. Again, many will say Asami, and I'd agree, but Jinora pissed me off the most. Based on the simple fact that here is this girl who has this two season arc dedicated to her basically coming of age. Unlocking spiritual abilities, becoming an airbending master, falling in love. And then, B4 happens and she just does...nothing. Kai gets booted from the picture, so her love life is effectively a non-story arc, and all she does after that is get kidnapped. She doesn't do anything truly worthy of those tattoos, and it's especially disappointing because of the time skip. You'd think she's become a huge badass by that point, but no. She does nothing. Truly the most misused character in the show.

*looks at watch*

Jaded is quenching his thirst, yea I'm hating.
Um lots of things got done today. Oh yeah, how bout that Age of Ultron, not bad, wish Ultron was actually evil. Sort of just came off as a sarcastic robot that wanted to end mankind. Had fun with it though. I still don't think they eclipsed the final fight in the first one, but it was still a lot of fun.

Toa TAK

Banned

I'm gonna have to wait until work is over for me to post my thoughts.

I'm going to say Amon. Although his ending is flawed, while the show was airing and we didn't know his backstory he was so menacing, so cunning, and so ruthless. That is how you do a villain right. Steve Blum gave him great presence as well. He was a villain where you actually felt some tension for the protagonist when they were facing each other.

This is actually taking me a while to think about, because I think the show does such a poor job at this. At some point every character does things which I don't believe they would actually do. Korra, Mako, Bolin, Asami, Lin, and so on. I would probably say Zaheer because there isn't anything obviously egregious about what he does. At least compared to everyone else.

Kuvira. Terrible villian IMO. Doesn't seem especially threatening compared even to season one Korra.

Kuvira. I like how they tried to half-assedly provide her motivations in the last ten minutes of the show, but that wasn't enough. Especially when they spent so much time on bullshit filler, like Wu.

360pages

My problem with Kuvira is the attempt to humanize at the end, which she did so many awful things it kind of falls flat. I mean, the way she gave up, her excuse for what she did. It was so ugh.

Veelk

Banned
My problem with Kuvira is the attempt to humanize at the end, which she did so many awful things it kind of falls flat. I mean, the way she gave up, her excuse for what she did. It was so ugh.

Well, it's not like anyone except Korra even cared. Su certainly didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom