• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roberta's okay. I don't really feel the love for her as much as a lot of the other people, and the OVA series was kinda boring. Best things to come out of that were Fabia and just how scummy and frightening Rock can really be. The rest of it was kinda okay. Decent action sequences that were marred by Roberta being made overpowered as fuck. Breaking machetes with her teeth and shit. And that weird sex scene...Balalaika and Eda. Now those are my girls. Shenhua is cool too.
Eda's fine, but she's not as much of an action girl as Revy, Roberta and Shenhua. Don't get me wrong she's deadly as fuck, but Roberta would break her in two and they're both equally as smart. It's an acquired taste. I like her backstory and how she's more human than she actually lets on.

Eda's fine, but she's not as much of an action girl as Revy, Roberta and Shenhua. Don't get me wrong she's deadly as fuck, but Roberta would break her in two and they're both equally as smart. It's an acquired taste. I like her backstory and how she's more human than she actually lets on.

Well she's fucking crazy. She's just nuts. Don't get me wrong, I liked the first arc with her, but the OVAs weren't doing it for me as much. Especially after Revy couldn't take her during it. Like, what? Revy could 1v1 her earlier, now she's all like "well fuck, I can't" for some reason?

My favorite arcs of that show are the Vampire Twins (also consequentially the most fucked up), Greenback Jane (the bounty hunters are hilarious), and the Tokyo arc (the final battle scene is powerful). Granted, I love the whole show, even the OVAs. The OVAs are just...well, they're weaker than the previous two seasons.

Well she's fucking crazy. She's just nuts. Don't get me wrong, I liked the first arc with her, but the OVAs weren't doing it for me as much. Especially after Revy couldn't take her during it. Like, what? Revy could 1v1 her earlier, now she's all like "well fuck, I can't" for some reason?

My favorite arcs of that show are the Vampire Twins (also consequentially the most fucked up), Greenback Jane (the bounty hunters are hilarious), and the Tokyo arc (the final battle scene is powerful). Granted, I love the whole show, even the OVAs. The OVAs are just...well, they're weaker than the previous two seasons.
That's because they truncated a big ass arc into what 4 episodes? I read the manga version of it and thought it was paced a lot better than the OVA's and yes I prefer her first arc as well so I'm not arguing with that assessment. I think Roberta hid a lot of her actual personality and there are soft parts to her, just not portrayed that often do to the nature of the show itself. She likes being a maid and yeah she's crazy as fuck in Blood Trail. The show is always at its best when it's a good mix of darkness and humor or when it slows itself down a bit and lets the characters be characters. It took me my second view to really appreciate the Tokyo arc cause it didn't rush anything. Revy could barely 1 v 1 Roberta and Revy knew it as far as I'm concerned. You don't just go one on one against a crazy nutcase aiming a 50 caliber sniper rifle at you. And considering that was Roberta on a fuckton of meds and drugs Revy wouldn't have gotten close enough to use her cutlass' on Roberta.

That's because they truncated a big ass arc into what 4 episodes? I read the manga version of it and thought it was paced a lot better than the OVA's and yes I prefer her first arc as well so I'm not arguing with that assessment. I think Roberta hid a lot of her actual personality and there are soft parts to her, just not portrayed that often do to the nature of the show itself. She likes being a maid and yeah she's crazy as fuck in Blood Trail. The show is always at its best when it's a good mix of darkness and humor or when it slows itself down a bit and lets the characters be characters. It took me my second view to really appreciate the Tokyo arc cause it didn't rush anything. Revy could barely 1 v 1 Roberta and Revy knew it as far as I'm concerned. You don't just go one on one against a crazy nutcase aiming a 50 caliber sniper rifle at you. And considering that was Roberta on a fuckton of meds and drugs Revy wouldn't have gotten close enough to use her cutlass' on Roberta.

All good points. And it was 5 episodes. I dunno. I guess I just wasn't feeling it.

The biggest hit that show takes is its treatment of Benny and Dutch. They become so irrelevant, so quick.

All good points. And it was 5 episodes. I dunno. I guess I just wasn't feeling it.

The biggest hit that show takes is its treatment of Benny and Dutch. They become so irrelevant, so quick.
I feel that it's mostly a bad ass chicks show than anything else. Even Sawyer is cutting people down for goodness sake. Dutch isn't much of an action guy, he'll get his hands dirty, but he won't just walk into the iron sights of a gun like Revy will. Benny is well...Benny, just look at him. He's voiced by Brian Drummond, but lacks the action prowess of a Brian Drummond character. I'll have to give it a second watch. I don't "hate" it, just was so pissed by the ending.

I feel that it's mostly a bad ass chicks show than anything else. Even Sawyer is cutting people down for goodness sake. Dutch isn't much of an action guy, he'll get his hands dirty, but he won't just walk into the iron sights of a gun like Revy will. Benny is well...Benny, just look at him. He's voiced by Brian Drummond, but lacks the action prowess of a Brian Drummond character. I'll have to give it a second watch. I don't "hate" it, just was so pissed by the ending.

They could have done so much more with Benny and Dutch. And like, you bring up how it's a badass chick show, but look at Rock. I'm pretty sure he's my favorite character in fiction.

I'm upset that I can't find the full scene of where Rock stands up to Revy because he's tired of her shit. It's my favorite scene in pretty much anything ever.
Like this is all I can find of it. Well, I refuse to watch the sub, so I guess that's not totally true.

They could have done so much more with Benny and Dutch. And like, you bring up how it's a badass chick show, but look at Rock. I'm pretty sure he's my favorite character in fiction.

Best part he isn't a badass in the traditional sense and its fucking unnerving to see the environment finally changing him (even though the utter failure in Japan was a early sign)

I'm upset that I can't find the full scene of where Rock stands up to Revy because he's tired of her shit. It's my favorite scene in pretty much anything ever.
Like this is all I can find of it. Well, I refuse to watch the sub, so I guess that's not totally true.
Rock's a different case. He's more behind the scenes Light Yagami level of scheming, which is funny since they have the same VA's. Didn't he even play Chang like a fiddle? I just remember Rock making him really pissed off. He showed very early signs of it when Revy took her over to Eda's and yes during the Japan arc. From what I remember the final Roberta arc is just where he cuts loose and pits pretty much every faction against each other like his own personal chess pieces. I'll have to watch it again, but him trying not to make the same mistake that he did with Yukiko really awakened some dark shit in him. I know there's an arc after that too...though it wasn't the final arc in the manga to begin with, but I stopped reading it because it went on hiatus at the time and I forgot where hell I was in it, that and it was moving super slowly, but If you like Greenback Jane you'll see a whole other side of her to say the least.

Hamlet

I don't think any of you guys read comics, but gawd damn Batman #40 was perfect. Just perfect.

Comics...?
PoMYlgJ.gif

I don't think any of you guys read comics, but gawd damn Batman #40 was perfect. Just perfect.

I absolutely read comics. I haven't read any Batman recently, though. None of the New 52 stuff. I've stayed away from it. I've been having an urge to go back to it recently, though.

Veelk

Banned
I absolutely read comics. I haven't read any Batman recently, though. None of the New 52 stuff. I've stayed away from it. I've been having an urge to go back to it recently, though.

To my understanding, the new 52 pulls a lot of dumb shit, especially at the beginning, but comics were doing dumb shit before it too. You just have to look for the good stuff, and all of Snyder's Batman has been ace. The batfamily in general has thrived the most. Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Grayson, Batman and Robin...

I wish other books were as lucky. Wonder Woman had a good run with Azzarello, but the new team is pretty mediocre. Not horrible, just bleh. Superman Unchained was great. Batman & Superman was good, but I need to pick up the latest issues. Otherwise, al Superman comics have been blah. Pak had something good going with action comics, but then that doomsday shit happened and wrecked his pacing. Green Arrow with Lemire was great, some of the most psychedelic art I've seen in comics.

I haven't spotted a team book I like though. Justice league movie was awful, and I find Geoff John's writing to be stilted and awkward.

To my understanding, the new 52 pulls a lot of dumb shit, especially at the beginning, but comics were doing dumb shit before it too. You just have to look for the good stuff, and all of Snyder's Batman has been ace. The batfamily in general has thrived the most. Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Grayson, Batman and Robin...

I wish other books were as lucky. Wonder Woman had a good run with Azzarello, but the new team is pretty mediocre. Not horrible, just bleh. Superman Unchained was great. Batman & Superman was good, but I need to pick up the latest issues. Otherwise, al Superman comics have been blah. Pak had something good going with action comics, but then that doomsday shit happened and wrecked his pacing. Green Arrow with Lemire was great, some of the most psychedelic art I've seen in comics.

I haven't spotted a team book I like though. Justice league movie was awful, and I find Geoff John's writing to be stilted and awkward.

Oh it has nothing to do with it being New 52 itself. I was just commenting on how I haven't picked any of it up. Batman Arkham Origins pretty much killed any enthusiasm or love I had for Batman. That game burned me out on it super hard, and then DC constantly pushing Batman...I just got tired of the character. Expanded my horizons more.

New 52 does have some good stuff. Justice League Dark is solid (though it's dwindled a bit) and I just started Earth 2. Pretty good so far. New 52 has good stuff.

Veelk

Banned
Oh it has nothing to do with it being New 52 itself. I was just commenting on how I haven't picked any of it up. Batman Arkham Origins pretty much killed any enthusiasm or love I had for Batman. That game burned me out on it super hard, and then DC constantly pushing Batman...I just got tired of the character. Expanded my horizons more.

I am one of the biggest batman fans. I have a huge passion for the hero that was such a big part of my childhood. And you know what? I fucking hate how DC pushes Batman. The greatness of Batman is that exists in a world of other great heroes and stands with them. When DC makes everyone else suck just to show what a badass he is, then he's just a big fish in a small pond. Personally, I mainly read Synder's Batman. His Zero Year arc is amazing, especially part one, but his run in general has been nothing short of fantastic. As far as I'm concerned, you don't need other Batman comics.

But what heroes DO you want to read then? I might be able to recommend something.

I am one of the biggest batman fans. I have a huge passion for the hero that was such a big part of my childhood. And you know what? I fucking hate how DC pushes Batman. The greatness of Batman is that exists in a world of other great heroes and stands with them. When DC makes everyone else suck just to show what a badass he is, then he's just a big fish in a small pond. Personally, I mainly read Synder's Batman. His Zero Year arc is amazing, especially part one, but his run in general has been nothing short of fantastic. As far as I'm concerned, you don't need other Batman comics.

But what heroes DO you want to read then? I might be able to recommend something.

Yeah I just got tired of the push. DC has plenty of other great characters as well, and it pains me that those don't get pushed as hard.

As for other heroes, I've got plenty. I've been reading a lot of Marvel books lately. Trust me, I've got a full pullbox. Especially with Convergence and then Secret Wars. I haven't picked up my weekly books yet though. I go on Fridays.

360pages

Naruto might be getting a part 3...Dragon Ball Z getting a new series...Digimon is getting a new season. Everything is coming back...

That moment when you're making out with your girl in the car and the car behind you honks at you because you have your car parked in the middle of the street.
Naruto might be getting a part 3...Dragon Ball Z getting a new series...Digimon is getting a new season. Everything is coming back...
98b39b21ff008afaa5cba1e79fc611b2ddb64b3f44f57e792397c517768f4433.jpg

360pages

I guess everyone just given up making new content and just said. (You know people loved X...we should do that again) Hell even US cartoons had that problem for awhile between 2010-2013

360pages

I don't really mind since I loved that stuff, and as a fan of ongoing stories. I don't mind if some things go on for years. Hell Comics are built on that very idea.

360pages

I've been writing...nothing at all, been to busy to write sadly. Going to try to take my final tomorrow and look over my News Writing stuff.

On Veelk's recommendation and the absence exams, I've started watching Star vs. The Forces of Evil. 1 & 2 eps. were aight, but parts of 3 were kinda meh. Kinda understandable since it uses a trope that is hard not to have it seem stale. Overall, very cutesy in a way as warned before, but I dont mind I guess.

Veelk

Banned
On Veelk's recommendation and the absence exams, I've started watching Star vs. The Forces of Evil. 1 & 2 eps. were aight, but parts of 3 were kinda meh. Kinda understandable since it uses a trope that is hard not to have it seem stale. Overall, very cutesy in a way as warned before, but I dont mind I guess.
I think it is going to adopt a long form story telling eventually. They placed hints for future plots like the monster arm and stuff. I think the show will really kick off once things like character development start setting in. As it is now, it's just a cutesy show full of lols. Which is fine, but I recommended it because I believe it will become something more. And if you don't like it, that each episode is only 15 minutes makes it easily digestible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom