• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um lots of things got done today. Oh yeah, how bout that Age of Ultron, not bad, wish Ultron was actually evil. Sort of just came off as a sarcastic robot that wanted to end mankind. Had fun with it though. I still don't think they eclipsed the final fight in the first one, but it was still a lot of fun.

At the end of the day, Ultron is an A.I. with severe daddy issues whose ultimate goal at saving mankind is removing it. That's what he was programmed to do (the protecting mankind part). AoU's issue with that is that it happens at such an accelerated rate, that he really just comes off as an A.I. throwing a temper tantrum. Bummed me out in that regard, but I'll be damned if he wasn't entertaining as all hell.

At the end of the day, Ultron is an A.I. with severe daddy issues whose ultimate goal at saving mankind is removing it. That's what he was programmed to do (the protecting mankind part). AoU's issue with that is that it happens at such an accelerated rate, that he really just comes off as an A.I. throwing a temper tantrum. Bummed me out in that regard, but I'll be damned if he wasn't entertaining as all hell.
He was fun, just didn't come off as some grand menace oddly. He didn't feel that threatening. His army of Pepsi can soldiers were just cannon fodder, I know that was the point of them, but nothing about the bad guy felt menacing.

He was fun, just didn't come off as some grand menace oddly. He didn't feel that threatening. His army of Pepsi can soldiers were just cannon fodder, I know that was the point of them, but nothing about the bad guy felt menacing.
If you haven't, you should watch Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes. They have an Ultron arc in that show that is just...sublime.

360pages

To be fair, I think the problem with Kuvira and extension both Season 1 and Season 4, is that...you got the feeling of. Wait, that's it? Despite both trying to build to something, it felt really odd and had pacing issues.

Even if Season 2 is the worst, it was less due to pacing and more the fact everyone was acting like idiots, despite some odd story choices and a laughably bad fight at the end. It was still big and grand.

Season 4... it just kind of stops, even though the last season of Last Airbender had unanswered questions. We still got to see the team enjoy one another one last time before the final credits rolled.

Season 4 ending felt like an Epilogue to an RPG where you get to talk to each of your party members one last time. It doesn't help character like Wu got some of the screen time.

Umm... I don't.

I... unlike Toa, am not afraid to run from my thirst for the eyebrow princess . The Queen obviously being Satsuki but that's a different story.
That's because most female characters get crushed under the domination heel that is Satsuki Kiryuin, superior eyebrow game too, more swag, more badass, better leader, not just a simple fascist like Kuvira either. Kuvira is half ass Satsuki, but every bit as hot.
If you haven't, you should watch Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes. They have an Ultron arc in that show that is just...sublime.
I think I've seen a couple of episodes of that. It's actually not that bad. Is it on Netflix?

Who is your most liked character?
Amon o'course. Although, I like the idea of Korra's character arc I guess. If only they did it right... c'est la vie.

Which character is the most well written?
Really goes down to Amon or Zaheer. Zaheer is more consistent, but Amon is a bit more memorable. Amon.

Who is your most disliked character?
Wu. Just a waste of time.

Who the least well written? (ditto)
Ikki, you know, the kid that hangs around with Jinora and Meelo sometimes.

That's because most female characters get crushed under the domination heel that is Satsuki Kiryuin, superior eyebrow game too, more swag, more badass, better leader, not just a simple fascist like Kuvira either. Kuvira is half ass Satsuki, but every bit as hot.

I think I've seen a couple of episodes of that. It's actually not that bad. Is it on Netflix?

It is on Netflix, yes.

It's not bad at all. If not for the ending, I would say it's close to JLU in terms of quality.

Plus, that intro

360pages

A shame since Marvel sucks at cartoons usually compared to DC but the first Avengers Cartoon was great, the second one was awful.

Ultimate Spiderman was wasted potential, what was even the point of giving spiderman a team if they don't focus on them and constantly have him team up with the Super Hero flavor of the month.

It was like a bad version of Batman Brave and the Bold.

A shame since Marvel sucks at cartoons usually compared to DC but the first Avengers Cartoon was great, the second one was awful.

Ultimate Spiderman was wasted potential, what was even the point of giving spiderman a team if they don't focus on them and constantly have him team up with the Super Hero flavor of the month.

It was like a bad version of Batman Brave and the Bold.
Wolverine and the X-Men was also really good, and that got cancelled as well. I never understood why Marvel did that.

Exactly, they can both take turns stepping on me, idgaf.

Veelk

Banned
I can't imagine either Satsuki or Kuvira dancing. I feel they only know how to stomp their heels to various degrees of hardness.

I can't imagine either Satsuki or Kuvira dancing. I feel they only know how to stomp their heels to various degrees of hardness.
I can agree with you for Satsuki but not Kuvira. She was in a metal bending dance troupe and her fighting style called for precise movements and being light on her feet. So her being a dancer is pretty much in canon.
And she will dance on my grave after death.
"I will honor this pig in human clothing with a nice jig. Nonon prepare the music!"
satsuki_s_heel_by_lilachsigal-d7lxnwu.gif

Watching Daredevil. Say what you want about Veelk and his hyper over analyzing but he knows good tv.

Veelk

Banned
I can agree with you for Satsuki but not Kuvira. She was in a metal bending dance troupe and her fighting style called for precise movements and being light on her feet. So her being a dancer is pretty much in canon.

Hm... Fair enough.

Watching Daredevil. Say what you want about Veelk and his hyper over analyzing but he knows good tv.

What you say about me and my analyzing is "man, this guy is brilliant. I wish I was as observant and meticulous and handsome as him. A true hero among gaffers."

Trey

We shit on all of LoK's characters, but in a small effort to help rejuvenate the thread, let's discuss:

Which character is the most well written? (which is a very different question than the first)

I'll post mine assuming I survive my tests Tuesday. And be sure to explain why you feel that way, of course.

Korra.

Tenzin.

Fucking baton Jr.

This is a difficult question. Because the core problems of Legend of Korra stem from how badly the main cast interact with one another, so a single character would be an unsatisfactory answer for me. And beyond this, there are poor and annoying ancillary characters that are "worse written," but do not impact the story like poorly written characters who have redeeming qualities. I guess if I had to answer, I would say Mako.

We shit on all of LoK's characters, but in a small effort to help rejuvenate the thread, let's discuss:

Which character is the most well written? (which is a very different question than the first)

I'll post mine assuming I survive my tests Tuesday. And be sure to explain why you feel that way, of course.

Kuvira - for thirst reasons.

Lin Beifong - though she didn't really do much in Season 2

Simp Jr. - nuff said

Asami - she was just there. If not her, then Deus Ex-Jinora, or have an entire story arc built around you and have all the development thrown in the bushes the next season Kai.

Lets be honest, DBZ power Scaling is the best/worst..

A bad guy that took an entire season to defeat 50-100 EP is defeated in 9 min. Just to show off how cool Trunks is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7iTOie2ObQ

Well that was the whole point! To show how powerful the androids were supposed to be.

But yeah the powerscaling, particularly that point in the show, is where 98% of the non saiyans become useless.

Edit: I don't get why everyone hates Bataar Jr. He made a giant robot

Toa TAK

Banned

Korra

Fucking none of them are well written. When you stand back and see the bigger picture they all go through some contrived bullshit to develop as characters. And if they're doing well, there's always something that comes left-field and ruins everything that comes before.

President Raiko

Unalaq

360pages

Well that was the whole point! To show how powerful the androids were supposed to be.

But yeah the powerscaling, particularly that point in the show, is where 98% of the non saiyans become useless.

Edit: I don't get why everyone hates Bataar Jr. He made a giant robot

I love it though, though it can be a problem.

Bataar Jr is the worst though. He is just so whiny most of the time, and I personally don't find his problem anywhere near close to as bad as he reacted to it.

Korra

Fucking none of them are well written. When you stand back and see the bigger picture they all go through some contrived bullshit to develop as characters. And if they're doing well, there's always something that comes left-field and ruins everything that comes before.

President Raiko

Unalaq

Not going to lie, you surprised the hell out of me with this post. Pretty much agree with you.

I love it though, though it can be a problem.

Bataar Jr is the worst though. He is just so whiny most of the time, and I personally don't find his problem anywhere near close to as bad as he reacted to it.

Bataar Jr was the true mastermind behind the Earth Empire. Bow down.

Trey

battlestar galactica jr was such a poor character, sometimes I think about tweeting the writers and VA and asking for an apology.

Korra has dozens of badly written characters, why you gotta single out Bataar the genius, Bataar the uniter, Emperor Bataar? Unlike Su at least he cared for the Earth Kingdom and tried to do something about it. He made a megadeus made entirely out if platinum. And a sick monorail.

I wish I was bataar

360pages

Korra has dozens of badly written characters, why you gotta single out Bataar the genius, Bataar the uniter, Emperor Bataar? Unlike Su at least he cared for the Earth Kingdom and tried to do something about it. He made a megadeus made entirely out if platinum. And a sick monorail.

I wish I was bataar

You just want to be stepped on my Kuvira.

I dunno, it's kinda hard for me to chose for many of these.

Favorite character: Amon

Best written: Um, probably Zaheer, I guess.

Worst written: r u srs

Least favorite: Hmm, I don't really hate anyone that much or anything, but least favorite would probably be Unalaq or Opal

-Deimos

She's not yours. Women aren't THINGS. Especially my waifu.

Fixed.

I dunno, it's kinda hard for me to chose for many of these.

Favorite character: Amon

Best written: Um, probably Zaheer, I guess.

Worst written: r u srs

Least favorite: Hmm, I don't really hate anyone that much or anything, but least favorite would probably be Unalaq or Opal

Out of everyone your least favorite is Opal? C'mon man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom