• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
And hey, Korra's wearing the same dress at Councilman Tarrlok's Gala that she wore at the end of Book 3.

akCNA4Y.png

korra-wheelchair.jpg

Well well, Asami dresses Korra in the same outfit they first met in.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So is this thread now like the naruto manga thread where we post fanart of the canon OTPs, cause I am part of the problem and will contribute.

Chariot

No but seriously though, I wonder how powerful is Katara at this point?
My guess is that she is beyond her peak and not suited anymore for fighting. I guess, she could bloodbend without too much exhaustion, but we know that this is the thing she don't want.

It would really nice to see them all in their prime.
This, right here. If anything, I felt Varrick's and Zhu Li's romance was forced at the end.

xaJ00jZ.jpg
So pretty *__*

My guess is that she is beyond her peak and not suited anymore for fighting. I guess, she could bloodbend without too much exhaustion, but we know that this is the thing she don't want.

It would really nice to see them all in their prime.So pretty *__*

Well, I look at it this way:

During ATLA, Toph and Katara were effectively the best benders in their fields (Earth and Water) next to Bumi and Paku, respectively. Now we get to TLoK, and Toph is effectively the strongest earthbender, period. I'm guessing Katara was probably on that level, but then again, Toph continued to wander and fight. Katara became a healer. Based on what Toph said during Operation BeiFong about Katara being right about letting the kids take care of it. My guess, Katara is powerful as fuck, but like Toph leaves it in others hands.

Zuko was never the strongest firebender to begin with. I mean, ranking the major firebenders in ATLA (my guess):

1. Iroh
2. Jeong Jeong
3. Ozai
4. Azula
5. Zuko
6. Zhao

Zuko's up there, but he's not up there. So him not being super strong during TLoK wasn't surprising to begin with.

Chariot

The thing we also have to consider is age and potential. While Ozai was stronger than Azula in ATLA, I am sure would've grown into a far stronger bender than him. She was an exceptional genius after all. But I agree, that Zuko wasn't that strong to begin with in the terms of the geniuses in every field.

We can assume that everyone became stronger, but they may as well hit a peak very early - we just don't know and that's the problem. I also kinda hate it, when aging and idling don't weaken people. Not being in wars and fights should make people's skills very dull. So in my mind Katara must have been not a very good fighter right now since she pretty much looked settled.

The thing we also have to consider is age and potential. While Ozai was stronger than Azula in ATLA, I am sure would've grown into a far stronger bender than him. She was an exceptional genius after all. But I agree, that Zuko wasn't that strong to begin with in the terms of the geniuses in every field.

We can assume that everyone became stronger, but they may as well hit a peak very early - we just don't know and that's the problem. I also kinda hate it, when aging and idling don't weaken people. Not being in wars and fights should make people's skills very dull. So in my mind Katara must have been not a very good fighter right now since she pretty much looked settled.
Not every old person can be Gouken.

But was he? I have it that way on my list, but I don't know if that's true. We only see him bend during Sozin's Comet, aside from a little lightning on The Day of Black Sun once the eclipse was over. They still never properly explained how Azula got blue fire, aside from the hints at the possible sources for different color flames during whole Sun Warriors thing.

Chariot

Not every old person can be Gouken.
Although it would cool. Old people could work even longer in that case and didn't have to go in pension that early.

But was he? I have it that way on my list, but I don't know if that's true. We only see him bend during Sozin's Comet, aside from a little lightning on The Day of Black Sun once the eclipse was over. They still never properly explained how Azula got blue fire, aside from the hints at the possible sources for different color flames during whole Sun Warriors thing.
I think it was said that he was the strongest firebender. I does of course not help, that he didn't really fight outside of the final and that Azula was influenced too by the comet, but was weakened due her psychosis. Goddamnit, where are anime power levels when you need them?!

Yes, Ozai was powered by the Comet, but he showed a level of Firebending that still hasn't been topped in the series, period.

Ochi

Neo Member
I'm just glad I don't have to hear people going crazy over Varrick's hamfisted out of nowhere proposal. Just awful.
This, right here. If anything, I felt Varrick's and Zhu Li's romance was forced at the end.

Yeah it wasn't great, but at least it was telegraphed throughout starting with the train.

If nothing else the timing for the proposal was right since it was right before the final battle....WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT TIME FOR ASAMI OR KORRA TO PULL THE OTHER ASIDE FOR A TENDER MOMENT OF THEIR OWN, BRYKE! It makes the payoff of Varrick and Zhuli work, if you think everyone's plot armor might be in danger of falling off (cause Kuvira was supposed to be a credible threat right...?) That's a great time to get shit off your chest, instead we got marriage and Asamis dad getting ready to die.

Lethe82

Banned
So based on the little I have seen capped here, it seems like Korra is head over heels infatuated/crushing/interested in Asami, and Asami feels a similar attraction but is more reserved or conflicted about her emotions or committing to them. It was one thing for her to be the supportive friend, but now that her feelings are being reciprocated it's somewhat daunting even though she wants it. I'd also imagine that she has some lingering resentment towards Korra for events in the past (Season 1-2 and disappearing for 3 years more or less).

Would that be correct?

Korra seems to be the type of person that when she falls for someone falls hard. Hopefully she learned from her failed relationship with Mako!

Ochi

Neo Member
So based on the little I have seen capped here, it seems like Korra is head over heels infatuated/crushing/interested in Asami, and Asami feels a similar attraction but is more reserved or conflicted about her emotions.

Would that be correct?

Korra seems to be the type of person that, when she falls for someone, falls hard. Hopefully she learned from her failed relationship with Mako!

Beats me. Based on season 3's ending it seems more like Asami is the one who falls for Korra based on how tenderly she treats her.

And then sometime during the 3 years Korra develops feelings via letters... ehhh....

I'm of the camp that Korrasami and most of season 4 is poorly written, so forgive any cynicism on my part.

Yeah it wasn't great, but at least it was telegraphed throughout starting with the train.

If nothing else the timing for the proposal was right since it was right before the final battle....WHICH WOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT TIME FOR ASAMI OR KORRA TO PULL THE OTHER ASIDE FOR A TENDER MOMENT OF THEIR OWN, BRYKE! It makes the payoff of Varrick and Zhuli work, if you think everyone's plot armor might be in danger of falling off (cause Kuvira was supposed to be a credible threat right...?) That's a great time to get shit off your chest, instead we got marriage and Asamis dad getting ready to die.

It's not so much 'Varrick realizing his feelings" as much as "I've never said anything the least bit kind to you ever. MARRY ME NOW"

Lethe82

Banned
Beats me. Based on season 3's ending it seems more like Asami is the one who falls for Korra based on how tenderly she treats her

I'll update my thoughts once I've watched the final half of the season (last episode I saw had Korra giving the most stupid and one dimensional speech ever to try and convince the big bad to not attack the metal bender city).

I'm just going off the fact that Korra is the one blushing in every scene (Hair compliment, "what's going on with the two of you?", jumping at the Vacation prospect adn saying 'just the two of us! and then looking slightly bashful at herself) and Asami's 'ok' expression during their final conversation looking more pensive, introspective, worried, giving in, whatever.

And then sometime during the 3 years Korra develops feelings via letters... ehhh....

I'm of the camp that Korrasami and most of season 4 is poorly written, so forgive any cynicism on my part.

Bad writing aside, I think Asami already fell for Korra first as it were, probably brought on by being impressed by her and concerned for her throughout everything.

Either way, no argument that it was bad writing, I think a lot of people who are on 'the writing was fine!' camp are kind of ignoring the fact that yeah, three years went by in between season 3 and 4. Ok sure, if korra was receiving letters yeah that can explain her growing (arguably unhealthy actually!) affection for Asami, but Korra wrote back once and while it was heart felt, it's pretty unrealistic to think that Asami wouldn't have emotionally detached during that period of complete silence, even if she continued to write Korra. Unless they are both obsessive and emotionally unhealthy.

Really, anytime would have been a better time for that moment than the one they picked.

Would that be correct?

Nope, they don't show anything near that in depth. Neither treat each other very different than anyone else.

Ochi

Neo Member
It's not so much 'Varrick realizing his feelings" as much as "I've never said anything the least bit kind to you ever. MARRY ME NOW"

Kind of. Varrick is an interesting character because you really need to pay attention to his tone of voice as he switches between silly-mad-genius-guy to calculating and thoughtful smart guy.

Kind of. Varrick is an interesting character because you really need to pay attention to his tone of voice as he switches between silly-mad-genius-guy to calculating and thoughtful smart guy.
You could tell he was about to say something important during the "Mrs Beaks" story before he got cutoff by Kuvira's mech, so I assume he was about to tell her how he feels about her then. Then after that they were about to go on a suicide mission so it's either say it now or possibly die without airing a word of it.

Eh I still say Iroh was a stronger firebender than Ozai. He could have taken him, but didn't because of the implications. Which is funny, because Zuko taking down Azula has similar implications, doesn't it? A brother fighting a sister (in Iroh's case, a brother) to grab power? I mean, she was technically Fire Lord at the time, and Zuko was doing so in order to take power from Azula.

Well, I look at it this way:

During ATLA, Toph and Katara were effectively the best benders in their fields (Earth and Water) next to Bumi and Paku, respectively. Now we get to TLoK, and Toph is effectively the strongest earthbender, period. I'm guessing Katara was probably on that level, but then again, Toph continued to wander and fight. Katara became a healer. Based on what Toph said during Operation BeiFong about Katara being right about letting the kids take care of it. My guess, Katara is powerful as fuck, but like Toph leaves it in others hands.

Zuko was never the strongest firebender to begin with. I mean, ranking the major firebenders in ATLA (my guess):

1. Iroh
2. Jeong Jeong
3. Ozai
4. Azula
5. Zuko
6. Zhao

Zuko's up there, but he's not up there. So him not being super strong during TLoK wasn't surprising to begin with.

No way, I think Ozai was the most powerful by far. The only time we see his non comet bending is his lightning against Zuko, and he freaking shoots a storm one second after the eclipse. Even Iroh says that he isn't sure he could beat him.

Lethe82

Banned
But Zuko beat Azula.

EDIT: Wait I'm wrong. Well sort of. He beat her esque they talked and she pulled a dirty trick with lightning to get him.

Ochi

Neo Member
Eh I still say Iroh was a stronger firebender than Ozai. He could have easily taken him, but didn't because of the implications. Which is funny, because Zuko taking down Azula has similar implications, doesn't it? A brother fighting a sister (in Iroh's case, a brother) to grab power? I mean, she was technically Fire Lord at the time, and Zuko was doing so in order to take power from Azula.

Ah that's a neat parallel, it wouldn't surprise me that was a conscious choice or maybe just an extension of the "siblings" theme that runs throughout the ATLA

As for Iroh vs Ozai...

I am actually curious if prison/buff as shit Iroh couldn't take him... he and the white lotus took ba sing se without much trouble...

And when I think about it we almost never saw younger Iroh... from 10ish years ago(dragon of the west!), him vs ozai could be a good fight

Kinvara

Azula's fire is blue because she is powered by propane.

dat clean burning fuel

Shouta

Yep... and they still went back to it in the end. SMH. I thought Varrick-Zhu Li was really awful, too. Zhu Li being in love with Varrick is one thing, but him suddenly proposing was awful.

Plus, the 'do the thing' was about 1/8th as funny as they thought it was. That gag got old real fuckni' fast.

Varick and Zhu Li's pairing is pretty standard (there has to be specific trope for it)) but the problem is Varrick as a character makes it awkward as fuck to listen to it, lol. They were seen together all the time so at least it made story sense. There had to be something more 'cause Zhu Li is smart enough not to risk her neck just for cash, lol.

Thinking back about Mako, he ends up being a lot better of a character from S3 on. S2 set this in motion but it got mired in the stupid of the season. He really goes pretty far in the series individually. Doesn't stop his char from being slightly boring, it's his archetype after all but looking at it, He and Bolin actually kind of transform and with it all culminating in the reactor scene in the robot.

Man, I really wish we could have this series without any of the shipping at all. =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom