• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedShift

Nice to see I'm not the only person who realised that Korra was essentially a princess/royalty and heir to the Southern Water Tribe. This shit bugs me so much since Bryke never bothered to mention it.

I think the wording at the end of Book 2 is that Tonraq was 'chosen' by the tribe elders to lead the southern tribe after they split from the North, so I don't think it's hereditary.

She would have been heir to the North though if not for Unaloq. I guess maybe Yue was Korra's great aunt or something.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to see I'm not the only person who realised that Korra was essentially a princess/royalty and heir to the Southern Water Tribe. This shit bugs me so much since Bryke never bothered to mention it.

Pretty sure Korra was never in a position to inherit any real power. The Southern Water Tribe was under the North's domain, so Eska and Desna were the ones next on the throne, and after Season 2 they use a indirect democracy to choose their leaders. I'm guessing she would've done a Wu in case she ever got the chance anyway.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It's been years since I've watched it...:( That sucks I was so used to the thought of them being together.

Oh wait, there is more,
the bullet sounds have been the source of intense fan speculation and the sound engineering was eventually examined and the bullets seem to be coming from the protags guns.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The scariest thing about Parasyte is the teeth grudgingly bad dubstep music.

Yeah never really found anything about Parasyte scary, or shocking, the biggest one is the initial introduction but beyond that it just something that happens within the show. You could swap it out and I wouldn't really care.

So yea, that is why I laughed when people called Korra and Asami ambiguous
I never called their ending ambiguous, I just didn't know about all that Noir shit since I thought Kirika and Mirielle became an actual thing. Maybe Asami gets eaten by something in the spirit world.

Romance was the worst part of the first 2 seasons and why I was really skeptical about season 3. Thankfully they toned it down but Jinora/Kai was still bad.

Yep... and they still went back to it in the end. SMH. I thought Varrick-Zhu Li was really awful, too. Zhu Li being in love with Varrick is one thing, but him suddenly proposing was awful.

Plus, the 'do the thing' was about 1/8th as funny as they thought it was. That gag got old real fuckni' fast.

Chariot

Chariot, I see you got your due.

Excellent...
image.php

kunonabi

Watched the whole book after getting hooked on the first three episodes on Hulu. Probably my favorite book of Korra despite the giant mech. Much like Book 3 it could have stood to be a bit longer but probably the most fun I've had with LoK. As for Korrasami goes I wish they didn't have to bother with them being burned by a man first, much like my issue with Buffy, but it was a nice way to end things anyway.

Daemul

Watched the whole book after getting hooked on the first three episodes on Hulu. Probably my favorite book of Korra despite the giant mech. Much like Book 3 it could have stood to be a bit longer but probably the most fun I've had with LoK. As for Korrasami goes I wish they didn't have to bother with them being burned by a man first, much like my issue with Buffy, but it was a nice way to end things anyway.

Tcl0cIY.png

Reddit said:
Mako is the original Orientationbender

post-46067-charlton-heston-laughing-gif-I-M2zI.gif

Thank you for giving me another chance to make fun of Mako, I've been looking for more opportunities.

You think too little of kids. Its anecdotal yes, but I know a couple of kids, raised by conservative parents, ages 4 to 14 who watched Korra and picked up on it right away.

By 'it' do you mean the ending? Most people don't dispute it's probably as explicit as they could go without getting heat from up top and it's clearly capable of getting it across even for younger kids. Speaking for myself though, I just don't see that same message/concept as being expressed in the same readable way throughout the series. Which lessens the potential benefits and impacts of what they've done because it's limited to the end of a show that was dropped from television and relegated to the internet.

I worry about how much new ground is actually being broken here. It would be easy for a network to argue "Oh that was just on the internet, not television, standards are different" or to continue to hold the line on prohibiting explicit depictions/identities, especially on an episode to episode basis in comparison to a finale. Now maybe that kind of super incremental change is all we can hope for right now, but I still think, perhaps naively, that a cultural fight over this issue is winnable given the way the rest of television is going. But that requires a catalyst to set it off, and I don't see anyone willing to hold the line and go public / get fired over something like this. Organic change requires more landmark/watershed moments than what we got.

Kinvara

By 'it' do you mean the ending? Most people don't dispute it's probably as explicit as they could go without getting heat from up top and it's clearly capable of getting it across even for younger kids. Speaking for myself though, I just don't see that same message/concept as being expressed in the same readable way throughout the series. Which lessens the potential benefits and impacts of what they've done because it's limited to the end of a show that was dropped from television and relegated to the internet.

I worry about how much new ground is actually being broken here. It would be easy for a network to argue "Oh that was just on the internet, not television, standards are different" or to continue to hold the line on prohibiting explicit depictions/identities, especially on an episode to episode basis in comparison to a finale. Now maybe that kind of super incremental change is all we can hope for right now, but I still think, perhaps naively, that a cultural fight over this issue is winnable given the way the rest of television is going. But that requires a catalyst to set it off, and I don't see anyone willing to hold the line and go public / get fired over something like this.

I thought the finale aired on NickToons too.

Ochi

Neo Member
I think the wording at the end of Book 2 is that Tonraq was 'chosen' by the tribe elders to lead the southern tribe after they split from the North, so I don't think it's hereditary.

She would have been heir to the North though if not for Unaloq. I guess maybe Yue was Korra's great aunt or something.

For tonraq, he was banished to the south, but was such a decent guy that he was elected as southern chief was how I understood it

Well that's why we should never stop talking about it.

I'm in no way suggesting that we should stop, I'm just thinking about how this may or may not lead to actual change in future shows/depictions and the possible responses that the big wigs might have.

I don't know why people make avatar bets, it only ends in sadness.

I'm sort of getting Stockholm Syndrome over my Naruto avatar bet, my brain is just getting trained to visually identify the image with my account. I also vastly underestimate how long 3 months would feel.

Magwik

Banned
I'm in no way suggesting that we should stop, I'm just thinking about how this may or may not lead to actual change in future shows/depictions and the possible responses that the big wigs might have.

I'm sort of getting Stockholm Syndrome over my Naruto bet result, my brain is just getting trained to visually identify the image with my account. I also vastly underestimate how long 3 months would feel.

What was your bet for anyways?

I'm sort of getting Stockholm Syndrome over my Naruto bet result, my brain is just getting trained to visually identify the image with my account. I also vastly underestimate how long 3 months would feel.

I'm going to be writing an actual snail-mail letter to Nick's boss about this, along with an email version. I don't expect a response, but it won't hurt anything to try.

What was your bet for anyways?

Oh I rather foolishly bet that no pairings would happen, rationalizing that the post-ending business plan would favor a continual love triangle scenario to sell more movies/spinoff stuff. Willful ignorance on my part in retrospect, but I wanted to get some bets started and I didn't ship anything so I took the anti-everything position.

ED: Huh, I wonder if the way I worded it means I have an additional three months of Sasuke/Sakura since that happened too. Did I bet against each individual pair or did I merely say no pairings would happen? Oh dear...

ED ED: Okay, so the way I worded the original post was that I would wear a particular avatar if one of the pairings happened, but I worded it as if only one outcome was possible but SxS and NxH were not exclusive outcomes. I'll have to cross post with Naruto GAF to see how they interpret this.

abadguy

Banned
Lol Mako. I liked the ending. I would've liked a bit more development of Korra x Asami but still good. Wish this were longer, (maybe two more books) had a rough star but over all seasons 3 and 4 were very good.

So I started re-watching TLoK. I forgot how much Amon's Lieutenant just gets fucking chumped. "Imma bada-*BLAM*" Also, It's weird seeing and hearing Korra after seeing the finale. She seems much...happier, and also tinier. Like, not as muscular.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So I started re-watching TLoK. I forgot how much Amon's Lieutenant just gets fucking chumped. "Imma bada-*BLAM*" Also, It's weird seeing and hearing Korra after seeing the finale. She seems much...happier, and also tinier. Like, not as muscular.

Korra had a lot of anger in the early seasons, prat of what fueled that brutish charm she was so famous for in the early going, and don't forget Korra did just recently get out of years long rehabilitation.

Korra had a lot of anger in the early seasons, prat of what fueled that brutish charm she was so famous for in the early going, and don't forget Korra did just recently get out of years long rehabilitation.

Yeah I know, it's just weird. Also, R.I.P. Book 1 Mako.

tumblr_m3291e7IZ11r2xvcto1_1280.jpg

Trey

Everybody gets their rocks off on the Loot. Literally everyone. Even Naga bodies him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom