• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sou Da

I just wanted to say that final panel had me going. Excellent post, Hamlet.

Woah, what? That sounds really great. I remember loving Static Shock when I was younger, but that's really taking it to the next level. Good on McDuffie.

I'm playing something now, so I'll find the image and direct forum post later. Here's the quote:
"The way I dealt with Richie's homosexuality was to write him aggressively and unconvincingly announcing his heterosexuality whenever possible ("Wow! Look at those girls in the swimsuits! I sure like girls!"), while Virgil rolled his eyes at the transparency of it." - Dwayne McDuffie.

Astral Dog

I believe Paul Dini spoke on this, and it basically went like this:

The show was equally as popular amongst pretty much all demographics, particularly girls. For some reason, CN didn't like that because it affected their toy line, which wasn't selling enough. I don't know HOW it affected the toys, but apparently it did.

That's why it was cancelled. I'd find a link to the interview but I'm too lazy.
Yes, the toys, still they could have tried a different strategy instead of depending on the toys, maybe it was too late to change that, and lost money,who knows.

The only criticism I've seen is about how it was poorly done, which it is. I've barely seen anyone opposed to the idea of the pairing at its core. And even then, acting like a dick about it towards no one in particular by just projecting outward towards everyone who's reading is a pretty negative way to handle it. Theyre just looking for fights acting like that.

I'm not disagreeing at all. I'm just sick and tired if it dominating the fucking conversation. I think being a dick about it is stupid. Either people are offended by it (dunno why) or overly defensive (I can see why, but there's a time and a place, which this is neither).

This is my opinion on Korrasami ultimately. Not like it matters. Just circular bullshit at this point.

Basically, I think everyone's complaint amounts to the same: If your romantic relationship arc doesn't actually get focused screen time, making it a big part of the ending is a bad idea. Plain and simple. Still, I don't think it was that poorly done, considering the circumstances. If the middle part of Remembrances had focused on Korra and Asami's relationship throughout the years as opposed to Korra's impact on the world (something we already went through), the Korrasami bit would have carried pretty well. At least enough weight for the ending to have legitimate impact, as opposed to "here ya go!".

I feel like I've said this a shitload. Yay, circles!

There's nothing wrong with Korrasami itself happening the problem with it is that it's like a get out of jail free card to negate railing about how uneven the pacing of the last season was. It had some good moments as a season but somewhere a long the line they couldn't figure out the plotting and pacing for the whole thing. But the last 30 seconds of the whole thing is what people keep ramming down our throats.

Hamlet

Haha perfect
tumblr_nh4ki2gny91rw9ny4o1_500.gif

I'm not disagreeing at all. I'm just sick and tired if it dominating the fucking conversation. I think being a dick about it is stupid. Either people are offended by it (dunno why) or overly defensive (I can see why, but there's a time and a place, which this is neither).

This is my opinion on Korrasami ultimately. Not like it matters. Just circular bullshit at this point.

Me too. But I don't think the tumblr crowd is going to ever let that change.

Hamlet

WOW.

By the way, I need that music when Korra and Co. try their first attempt at taking down the Robot. So good.gif

Same here and I also want the music/cue that plays when Mako started his whole electric "sacrifice" scene.
Dammit Nick just release them already.

DedValve

Banned

Thats a pretty spot on example and I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Remembrances should have had 2 main narrators. Korra and Asami and both telling their version of the story with a little bit of Varrick thrown in for comedic effect.

They could have ride that grey road of "will they or will they not" while at the same time offering far more legitimacy and impact to the ending.

But this is AGAIN talking about how the show fucked something up that could have been so much better. Goddamn how do I love a show this much and yet see all of it's horrible, horrible fuck ups?

I'll be here bright and early tomorrow to complain. Merry holidays ya'll and fuck Korra. <3 Korra.

Toa TAK

Banned
Same here and I also want the music/cue that plays when Mako started his whole electric "sacrifice" scene.
Dammit Nick just release them already.

YES, another great score. That music really sold the scene to the point where I really thought Mako was gonna die.

Plus, someone on his Twitter asked for that piece too, but he wanted to leave it out for the potential soundtrack.

Daemul

Daemul.

Please don't leave me alone with Korrasami.

I need this happiness.

Don't worry man, I'll always love Korrasami. I'm just not happy about how it seems to have been used as a deflection to this shows problems, and boy does this show have problems.

Hamlet

Yeah, hopefully it means they're close to getting a "yes". I mean, how hard could it be?/ ignorant of score releases

Would be a hell of a lot easier than releasing an ATLA OST ha as he doesn't have to re-record anything or find his missing hard drives. If Nick doesn't want to do a physical release again they should just at least put them up on Itunes or something at this point.

Toa TAK

Banned
Would be a hell of a lot easier than releasing an ATLA OST ha as he doesn't have to re-record anything or find his missing hard drives. If Nick doesn't want to do a physical release again they should just at least put them up on Itunes or something at this point.

I assumed it was just going to be a digital release at this point.

360pages

You know what, I don't think the shorter EP format really hurt Korra, but rather them not having the proper focus really damaged it.

The first Two seasons in Dragon Ball are short as hell, the first being 13 and the next being 14. Yet they were satisfying. Hell it wasn't even supposed to continue after the first 13 EP, but due to popularity it continued.

Yet, I never felt the end of the arc felt empty. Everything that started in the arc was wrapped up and you were satisfied with the conclusion of it.

I think Korra problem is biting off more than it can chew while wasting far too much time they could have been using for the main plot.

Daemul

Basically, I think everyone's complaint amounts to the same: If your romantic relationship arc doesn't actually get focused screen time, making it a big part of the ending is a bad idea. Plain and simple. Still, I don't think it was that poorly done, considering the circumstances. If the middle part of Remembrances had focused on Korra and Asami's relationship throughout the years as opposed to Korra's impact on the world (something we already went through), the Korrasami bit would have carried pretty well. At least enough weight for the ending to have legitimate impact, as opposed to "here ya go!".

I feel like I've said this a shitload. Yay, circles!

Yep, if they wanted to make the relationship between Korra and the lovely Asami as the most important thing in the finale, then there should have been a massive focus on their relationship in seasons 3 and 4. They had great chemistry together whenever they were on screen, but they were hardly ever together, and Asami was pretty much a minor character most of the time, which is a huge problem when their relationship got the spotlight focused on it at the end up of the series.

If they were going to go down this route, Asami should have become the deuteragonist after season 2, which would have given her a vastly increased role and a bigger presence on the show, and most importantly, would have given her more opportunities to interact with Korra, so that we could actually see their relationship develop more.

But nope, Bryke think a few good interactions here and there is enough to warrant their relationship taking centre stage at the end.

I'm just jealous Korra got her.

I am too, the salt is real, but at least she's happy. Thank fuck she didn't up with Mako or Wu, I was absolutely dreading the finale because I thought Bryke would have Korra end up alone whilst the lovely Asami ends up as the trophy wife of one of those two buffons. Thank the Lord for small mercies.

Afrocious

Oh yeah, as far as people going on Tumblr and noting possible aggression of fans dishing out Korrasami content, let them and don't judge them.

Minority representation is really fucking major. It's the reason why most of my posts have fanart in it as a sort of quiet celebration.

If you want, think of it as people happy they've gotten scraps, but damn we needed this ending.

You know what, I don't think the shorter EP format really hurt Korra, but rather them not having the proper focus really damaged it.

The first Two seasons in Dragon Ball are short as hell, the first being 13 and the next being 14. Yet they were satisfying. Hell it wasn't even supposed to continue after the first 13 EP, but due to popularity it continued.

Yet, I never felt the end of the arc felt empty. Everything that started in the arc was wrapped up and you were satisfied with the conclusion of it.

I think Korra problem is biting off more than it can chew while wasting far too much time they could have been using for the main plot.

I think season 1 proved that they could use half seasons very effectively, it was narratively tight and there wasn't a lot of useless fat. I kind of feel like the way the stories they tried to tell evolved is in part due to the fans who complained that S1 wasn't like TLA (which I liked, and was also sort of the point), so they started trying to throw in more subplots, more characters, more globe-trotting, etc. to give it more of that TLA feel, but still with only 13 episodes and it ended up hurting them because you can't tell that type of story in that time frame (unless you're really good).

Oh yeah, as far as people going on Tumblr and noting possible aggression of fans dishing out Korrasami content, let them and don't judge them.

Minority representation is really fucking major.
Nah, that's not an excuse to be an ass.

360pages

I think season 1 proved that they could use half seasons very effectively, it was narratively tight and there wasn't a lot of useless fat. I kind of feel like the way the stories they tried to tell evolved is in part due to the fans who complained that S1 wasn't like TLA (which I liked, and was also sort of the point), so they started trying to throw in more subplots, more characters, more globe-trotting, etc. to give it more of that TLA feel, but still with only 13 episodes and it ended up hurting them because you can't tell that type of story in that time frame (unless you're really good).

Nah, that's not an excuse to be an ass.

I do think season 1 has the problem of wasting two EP on romance, where they could have advanced the non-bender section.

When it comes to privilege, it's honestly better to let folks slide. Like I said, representation is huge.
It is huge and you should celebrate it, but you don't have to be a cock about it because chances are you're just being instigative towards people who have no ill feelings towards you, and most likely some that are supportive. (And I'm not saying you, Afrocious, I mean the ambiguous you)

I went to a highschool that was 95% black and I remember the day after Obama got elected people were going nuts celebrating, which is great, but I also had a huge number of people coming up to me and taunting me like "YEA WE PRESIDENT NOW! WHAT NOW?!" and I wanted the dude to get elected too, so they're being assholes to people on their side for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom