• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's from the creator of the Xanathos Gambit after all. :D
But that is the great thing, it forces the team to be intelligent and pro-active in contrast to a lot of protagonist who just wait until the enemy strikes. I just rewatched episode 24 and 25 today, it was amazing as it was when I watched it first.

#believe
I think I'm going to watch Gargoyles when I'm done with Young Justice. I need to experience evil alternate universe Commander Riker as an adult.

DedValve

Banned
It's okay. I accept we will never agree. It's Christmas time for peace on blah blah. Not even Bryke can ruin Christmas :D

EDIT:Being facetious of course. It's fun arguing. :p But this argument about as circular as Korra's character arc in Book 4. Shit aint going nowhere. NOWHERE. :*(

Nowhere except Asami's backpack IFYOUGETWHATIMSAYINGAMIRIGHT?

Also no need for a longass essay on ATLA vs TLOK. ATLAS weakest season is slightly less amazing than Korras strongest. And thats only because Book 1 had to get the ball rolling and lacked Toph/Azula.

Trey

It's interesting to see the small areas atla goes wrong manifesting itself in Korra as huge problems.

Atla knew what to focus on much better than Korra. That's the largest reason it's better. That nuktuk shit, which spanned an entire season in Korra, would've been an episode in atla and be just as effective.

fireside

I actually feel like I've been suckered. The whole Korrasami thing dominated my thoughts for days, and now that it's losing it's grip, and I'm starting to see the finale in a more objective light, I'm beginning to believe that Bryke pulled a fast one on us.

We got done.
it was a most cunning plan

Mononoke

Banned
When will Korrasami fade and people will start talking about the show overall. Or will Korrasami always define the show?

Guess I can't blame it since there isn't a lot to talk about after Book 3.

Is young justice good? Should I be watching?

Please tell me you go immediately to season 2 and give us your impressions *__*
I'll watch as much of season 2 as I can. I'm liking this. Hope we get more of Lex Luthor in that season, he's great here.
The Light constantly winning while taking Ls got old real quick. One of thew few things I didn't like about YJ
An L isn't a true L when you have fucking Lex Luthor and fucking Ra's Al Ghul doing the planning for you.
Yes. It's created by the guy that created Gargoyles and Spectacular Spiderman I believe, which also means it'll never get a proper ending.

DominoKid

I'll watch as much of season 2 as I can. I'm liking this. Hope we get more of Lex Luthor in that season, he's great here.

An L isn't a true L when you have fucking Lex Luthor and fucking Ra's Al Ghul doing the planning for you.

it's still gets old and lazy to fall back on that what seems like every episode though. it's been a while since i watched it.

Afrocious

When will Korrasami fade and people will start talking about the show overall. Or will Korrasami always define the show?

God yes. At least to see a western animation that has enough respect to put actual mindgames in their plot. It can come across as heavy-handed, but the show was better for it.

Also as far as what to talk about Korra. I'm at a loss. While I think the show needs to be critiqued, I can't out of principle hate on how the show literally ends with two lead PoC women ending up in a bisexual relationship.

If anything, I'm mad that this was the show to have it, in its current condition. But I'm glad it's there. But dammit.

S2 kinda begins with a lot of focus on Blue Beetle, but it grows into something special that's a bit bigger than what S1 had.

Chariot

The Light constantly winning while taking Ls got old real quick. One of thew few things I didn't like about YJ
Did you ever watched season 2? The Light has planned a lot and has many assets, but even they run out at some time, especially since the team is a lot more proactive in season 2 since they know then what they're enemies are.

Also they slowed down the Light and took assets for themselves at many occasions, which was also helpful in the long run. Both
Sphere and Wolf
were assets of the Light it deemed not very important, but came handy a lot of times.

S2 kinda begins with a lot of focus on Blue Beetle, but it grows into something special that's a bit bigger than what S1 had.
Are the bad guys still super prep heavy? I actually like it. Keeps the protags on their toes and given whom the bad guys are on here it makes a lot of sense that they can still pull some sort of win out of their losses.

Sou Da

Oh shit are people talking about Young Justice in here? It's great, Weisman has the golden touch when it comes to villains.

Green Lantern TAS was pretty good too.

Are the bad guys still super prep heavy? I actually like it. Keeps the protags on their toes and given whom the bad guys are on here it makes a lot of sense that they can still pull some sort of win out of their losses.

In season 2 the villains are revealed to have the best motivation and plan a villain group has ever had in DC imo.

Damn you guys have me so excited. I've had nothing to watch. And Ioved gargoyles! Can't believe I haven't heard of this. Best way to watch it legally? Is it on Netflix? Blu Ray?

Edit: is this them?

Season 1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M4LACC4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Season 2:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OWGP2BU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Is that all that is out? If so I'll buy them now.

Watching it on Netflix right now.

Always loved the DCAU, this looks like another solid series so far. And, my ears may be deceiving me but is that NOLAN NORTH I HEAR?

Sou Da

According to the Weisman supported Gargoyles fanpage Disney has the episodes. http://video.disney.com/shows/gargoyles-4ba34a5545c1259e961b9666
I can't confirm, fucking website auto throws me back to german disney.

I see random episodes here and there but I can't find a page with all of them on it on the site.

Always loved the DCAU, this looks like another solid series so far. And, my ears may be deceiving me but is that NOLAN NORTH I HEAR?

As Superman? Yeah he plays a lot of characters on the show, mostly one offs.

Chariot

Yes it is. And I would argue that Young Justice is even better than Justice League, since it has a real big overarching story arc that is more intelligent than the JLU ones (they were entertaining, but not really deep), plus the nice animation.

I see random episodes here and there but I can't find a page with all of them on it on the site.
Oh, poopy.

Sou Da

Yes it is. And I would argue that Young Justice is even better than Justice League, since it has a real big overarching story arc that is more intelligent than the JLU ones (they were entertaining, but not really deep), plus the nice animation.
Not so sure about that, but I will definitely say that Young Justice is the most cohesive DC universe period.

But that's a given, given how Weisman likes to detail EVERYTHING about the world and characters of the shows he works on.

Young Justice....

it still fucking stings you guys :(

You ever read the short lived comic? They actually manage to make Nightwing's manwhoring really charming in that.

In season 2 the villains are revealed to have the best motivation and plan a villain group has ever had in DC imo.
This is good to know because I love it when the villains get treated with respect. These aren't cartoonishly evil and incompetent villains. These guys are making the team bust out their A game every episode.
Not so sure about that, but I will definitely say that Young Justice is the most cohesive DC universe period.

But that's a given, given how Weisman likes to detail EVERYTHING about the world and characters of the shows he works on.
Lol it's the complete opposite of LOK.

DedValve

Banned

If we don't talk about Korrasami and how awesome it is we are left with ripping this show a new one. Again. Like what we are doing now. An endless cycle of disappointment.

Young Justice is AMAZING but got cancelled even after a pretty great ending. It just sucks that it never got a "proper" send off.

Sou Da

Also I'd definitely give the Green Lantern show a chance, it's like the B:TAS/Teen Titans of the Green Lantern IP.

Unless you don't care for space operas or CG.

Chariot

Wait what. Does it end poorly? Is it only 2 seasons. Now you got me nervous. Can't handle disappointment after abuse from Bryke.
It was planned for three seasons that have a big overarching plot behind them. So the sudden end at season 2 feels really weird. It's like stopping at the Two Towers or The Half Blood Prince. But it's still a fantastic show and you should never ever miss it.

Also I'd definitely give the Green Lantern show a chance, it's like the B:TAS/Teen Titans of the Green Lantern IP.

Unless you don't care for space operas or CG.
Yes, it was very good. But I think it felt even shorter than Young Justice. They obviously build for something really big and never got over character and world building.

Chariot

Ah fuck. Why are you guys trying to get me to start a cancelled show with no ending/resolution. You are killing me :p
Because even crippled it's one of the best cartoon shows ever made. I am sure, she could've been THE best, if Cartoon Network weren't a giant asshole made out of asshole that are made out of shit that was pooped out by said giant asshole.

I would be pissed by that terrible contrived back plot and her surrendering. Even the most ardent Kuvira fan would be insulted by that.
This is why I just found other shit to watch. If I didn't I'd have nothing to cleanse that bad taste out of my mouth with. it'd be like not taking a bath after a bukake party or something.

Sou Da

Because even crippled it's one of the best cartoon shows ever made. I am sure, she could've been THE best, if Cartoon Network weren't a giant asshole made out of asshole that are made out of shit that was pooped out by said giant asshole.

Putting YJ, Beware The Batman, and Green Lantern on at Saturday morning is just a bad move because all of these shows are obviously intended to be aimed at a primetime audience. Putting them on without any commercials outside of their actual block is pure intentional murder, unless you actually managed to wake up and catch the show you wouldn't even know it was on the channel.

It's not even fanwankery either, it becomes really obvious that CN doesn't want action cartoons on their station when the burn they final season of Ben 10 of all shows off at 6 in the morning weekdays without a commercial to tell people this. And the only DC show to make it to an afternoon slot is Teen Titans Go.

I always thought a recurring theme in the series was the relevancy of the Avatar in the modern age. Hell, they even reference that when Korra is poisoned by the Red Lotus and she is hallucinating.

That Beginnings plotline would have made WAY more sense after Korra's depression/poisoning. That indeed, the world DOES need the Avatar, and it always will. I imagined they would have mentioned that in the series ending, but no I guess we need to make sure we get the shipping in there.

Bryke

I think that's being a bit unfair. They most definitely had to cut and scrimp on the remaining episodes after Remembrances (Kai and Jinora have no lines for one). I'd rather have the ending we have now, than one without Korrasami.

I won't argue that the show didn't have some big issues. I won't argue that Bryke knew what they were doing all of the time. I won't even argue that I even really cared about most of the characters (honestly, outside of Korra, Asami, Tenzin, and Bolin I really didn't care).

I will argue that for what we got, what we were able to get after Nick exsanguinated the series, was the best possible ending. When shows like ATLA and Korra are looked back on they will be remembered for certain things, I am ecstatic that Korra will be remembered for Korrasami. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen on TV or in film. They made me feel so deeply for those two, seeing them actually win and be happy at the end was so incredible. I've never felt this way about a story before.

Astral Dog

It was planned for three seasons that have a big overarching plot behind them. So the sudden end at season 2 feels really weird. It's like stopping at the Two Towers or The Half Blood Prince. But it's still a fantastic show and you should never ever miss it.

Yes, it was very good. But I think it felt even shorter than Young Justice. They obviously build for something really big and never got over character and world building.

I wonder what would had happened between
Darkseid and Vandal Savage at the end, i know it was probably going to be the ligth and the justice league teaming up against Darkseid,like always, but, i would like Vandal Savage to be the main villain until the end, this version of him was very good, or both remain as the antagonists.

I think that's being a bit unfair. The most definitely had to cut and scrimp on the remaining episodes after Remembrances (Kai and Jinora have no lines for one). I'd rather have the ending we have now, than one without Korrasami.

I won't argue that the show didn't have some big issues. I won't argue that Bryke knew what they were doing all of the time. I won't even argue that I even really cared about most of the characters (honestly, outside of Korra, Asami, Tenzin, and Bolin I really didn't care).

I will argue that for what we got, what we were able to get after Nick exsanguinated the series, was the best possible ending. When shows like ATLA and Korra are looked back on they will be remembered for certain things, I am ecstatic that Korra will be remembered for Korrasami. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen on TV or in film. They made me feel so deeply for those two, seeing them actually win and be happy at the end was so incredible. I've never felt this way about a story before.

Korra was lucky for even getting a proper ending, other action animated series werent so fortunate.

Chariot

Putting YJ, Beware The Batman, and Green Lantern on at Saturday morning is just a bad move because all of these shows are obviously intended to be aimed at a primetime audience. Putting them on without any commercials outside of their actual block is pure intentional murder, unless you actually managed to wake up and catch the show you wouldn't even know it was on the channel.

It's not even fanwankery either, it becomes really obvious that CN doesn't want action cartoons on their station when the burn they final season of Ben 10 of all shows off at 6 in the morning weekdays without a commercial to tell people this. And the only DC show to make it to an afternoon slot is Teen Titans Go.
Arbitrary shifting timeslots, half a year and other random breaks within a season, delays, lack of advertisment, withholding toy sales, limit toys with female characters; it was pretty clear that they wanted the series dead. I think Green Lantern was better treated, but just killed with YJ, just because.
I wonder what would had happened between
Darkseid and Vandal Savage at the end, i know it was probably going to be the ligth and the justice league teaming up against Darkseid,like always, but, i would like Vandal Savage to be the main villain until the end, this version of him was very good, or both remain as the antagonists.
Darkseid always wants the Anti-Life Equation. I guess Vandal Savage could know something due his age or at least have an idea what to do. His motive was after all to strengthen humanity and bring it to intergalactic standards as a feared force. So I guess the deal looks like Savage helps Darkseid to find or conquer the Anti-Life Equation and Darkseid leaves Earth as a partner. I am not sure about Darkseids age, but Savage is much older than him, isn't he?

Arbitrary shifting timeslots, half a year and other random breaks within a season, delays, lack of advertisment, withholding toy sales, limit toys with female characters; it was pretty clear that they wanted the series dead. I think Green Lantern was better treated, but just killed with YJ, just because.
Reminds me of the fucking Fox gave The Sarah Connor Chronicles...
pou_7153.png

Another show where being moved to Friday killed it ratings wise. Though I will give it to Fox for sticking with Fringe for so long despite how low it's rating got.
I didn't care about Fringe though. SCC had one of the smartest plots and hottest female casts on tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom