• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
All these are things I'd use as examples when I saw that Book 1 Korra could have beaten Kuvira in a 1v1.

Kuvira on her own just wan't menacing or scary as a villian.

Out of all the benders we see in the series, Korra does the most just straight-up hand-to-hand stuff. Unless you count Zuko's swords. Then again, there was a cool scene with Katara back in ATLA:

tumblr_mnn1xoBu5v1qh01r8o1_r2_500.gif

Makes me wish there had been more hand-to-hand or weapon-to-weapon in the series. I mean, look:

jet_zuko_fight_part1_large.gif

Right before this scene I was literally just thinking about the lack of actual physical combat in this show (I thought that comes to my mind quite often)

bolin-shoulder-charge.jpg

Toa TAK

Banned
Watching the commentary for Book 3.

Bryke: I was a little worried about adding Kai into the show because we had so many characters...

-_-

IDK...it seems to me Season 1 still has the best image quality than the later seasons.

That Blu-Ray is fucking spectacular.

Others don't quite measure up.
I don't think anyone would dispute that S1 has the best animation by far, it's some of the nicest looking animation I've seen on a TV show period. That's what happens when you think you only have one shot at something and you put your all into it.

After reading a lot of the posts it seems I'm one of the few that likes Korra more than Avatar...

Now that Korra as a series has ended I can only hope that the Korra game sold enough to warrant a full game sequel from Platinum Games. What are the chances they release a Korra figure? A Korra Kotobukiya figure... if only :(
I still like Korra more than TLA, it pains me being in the camp of people against it right now because of that ending. And I've been waiting for a Korra Kotobukiya forever, I don't think its too tall an order either after I saw the Jaina Solo one, that convinced me they'll make a Kotobukiya of anyone.

I don't think anyone would dispute that S1 has the best animation by far, it's some of the nicest looking animation I've seen on a TV show period. That's what happens when you think you only have one shot at something and you put your all into it.

I think Pokemon and Free! are the only two shows whose animation I'd put over Korra.

Say what you will about the writing of the former and homoeroticism of the latter, but that shit is just jaw droopingly beautiful

Hamlet

Bryke: I was a little worried about adding Kai into the show because we had so many characters...

-_-

I'll admit I laughed when they said that in the commentaries. They seemed so worried people weren't going to like him.

Puruzi

Banned
Korra's animation is great, but the best animation in a television show is still Gurren Lagann for me. Some of those later episodes were straight up movie level.

-_-

lmao. Wow...

he didn't even have any meaningful role in season 4. I just don't get what they were thinking with all these characters. I mean season 3 has so many characters added:

Su
Opal
Su's family
Kai
Zaheer
P'Li
Ming Hua
Ghazan

so then in addition to everyone here you have running around:
mako
bolin
asami
korra
tenzin
kya
bumi
lin
tonraq
zuko

Korra's animation is great, but the best animation in a television show is still Gurren Lagann for me. Some of those later episodes were straight up movie level.
I don't know, I would put the new Fate/Series well above Korra in terms of art and animation.

Anime don't count. Japan sold it's collective soul to get such good animation, it's not fair to put them up against us normal humans.

PBalfredo

I'm rewatching the series with my sister during Christmas break and we just finished Book 1. One of the things I love about Book 1 is how hard they nail the noire feel of Republic City. So many scenes take place at night and the skyline is bathed a colored glow that reminded me a lot of the distinctive red night skies of Batman: the Animated Series. The rooftop battle in And The Winner Is... in particular invokes a lot of B:tAS for me, especially the wide shot of them fighting on top of the arena with the skyline of Republic City in full view. It does a great job of showing our protagonists as the few protectors of a massive, living city.

-_-

They should have listened to their gut on that one. I liked Kai, but a waste is a waste, and he was by definition a waste.

Man, I can't stop looking at these fight gifs. Getting me hyped an makes me remember why I liked TLoK in the first place:

tumblr_mzs4is8Zfd1ryt548o1_500.gif

tumblr_n8m37egP9f1tvog7no2_400.gif

tumblr_n8m37egP9f1tvog7no3_400.gif

Hamlet

How detailed is the commentary? Is it something I could find on youtube?
Quite detailed I would say. They talk about the whole process of making the episode and also the writing process. It was through the Book 2 commentaries we found out they had no idea what Jinora did in the finale.
Don't think they're up on youtube though.

I can't imagine why they thought people wouldn't like Kai /s

I love s3, but Kai was a massive waste of time.

Yeah while I don't mind Kai they could have better utilized that Kai time on someone else such as Kuvira. If they weren't going to bother doing anything with Kai in Book 4.

I'm rewatching the series with my sister during Christmas break and we just finished Book 1. One of the things I love about Book 1 is how hard they nail the noire feel of Republic City. So many scenes take place at night and the skyline is bathed a colored glow that reminded me a lot of the distinctive red night skies of Batman: the Animated Series. The rooftop battle in And The Winner Is... in particular invokes a lot of B:tAS for me, especially the wide shot of them fighting on top of the arena with the skyline of Republic City in full view. It does a great job of showing our protagonists as the few protectors of a massive, living city.

I agree. The thing that made BTAS look so special was because they used black as their base as opposed to white. I also think they used charcoal-based stuff too (although I might be wrong). I think TLoK used white, but it's still really impressive.

Bow to the King.

Damn. That's good shit.

They should have listened to their gut on that one. I liked Kai, but a waste is a waste, and he was by definition a waste.

Man, I can't stop looking at these fight gifs. Getting me hyped an makes me remember why I liked TLoK in the first place:

tumblr_mzs4is8Zfd1ryt548o1_500.gif

Man, I love book 1. I think it had the best atmosphere of the entire series. As PBalfredo mentioned above, it just nails the 20's noir/steampunk look. So good. I think that was lost in seasons 2-4.

Back when Korra was straight lol

tumblr_m1vombB2VO1qlkhfco2_500.gif

Who was Asami looking at?

korra1x08_0764.jpg

Toa TAK

Banned
Worse, is that right after he says that, he was worried about whether or not people would like Kai. But apparently people did at the comic con that year (they recorded the commentaries after).

Fuck you, Bryke! I hate Kai! More Red Lotus backstory... please! *breaks down and cries*

Man, I love book 1. I think it had the best atmosphere of the entire series. As PBalfredo mentioned above, it just nails the 20's noir/steampunk look. So good. I think that was lost in seasons 2-4.

Well those seasons went for a much fantastical edge. Each one had their own feel and sort of color to it though, which is nice. Book 2 felt like it had a lot of purples and blues because of all the ice. Most of it was at night. Book 3 felt like it had a lot of oranges and (weirdly enough) greys. Book 4 felt very green and yellow.

That's what I'm always trying to say, as much as I love Korra, it lost a lot of the magic that made s1 stand out so well in the subsequent seasons.

So...if you had to pick? Single strong 22 episode long book and bam that's the end of the series with more time to pander to other stuff.

Or what we have now just reorganized, with villains switched around. However, budget is less, naturally.

Hamlet

Worse, is that right after he says that, he was worried about whether or not people would like Kai. But apparently people did at the comic con that year (they recorded the commentaries after).

Fuck you, Bryke! I hate Kai! More Red Lotus backstory... please! *breaks down and cries*

I don't think people really started turning against Kai until they released he would have jack all to do in Book 4. Kai ain't bad. Just another unnecessary character added to show already bursting at the seams with characters and not enough time.

Book 2 still looked pretty good. I liked the colors. Although I definitely agree on Book 1 having a really good atmosphere to it. Still though, Book 2's general color palette:

tumblr_nabtftAVFE1tj89rso7_500.gif

tumblr_mr1jcwAESU1qdsh8vo2_500.gif

korra+vaatu+opening.jpg

Afrocious

Hmm... so if you were addressing the issues found in LoK, it's a sure thing to add comments on how many ultimately useless characters were given screen time.

I already know a few things I'd add to a list of such details, but what else are some? Give me the obvious as well.

Hamlet

Book 2 still looked pretty good. I liked the colors. Although I definitely agree on Book 1 having a really good atmosphere to it. Still though, Book 2's general color palette:

tumblr_nabtftAVFE1tj89rso7_500.gif

tumblr_mr1jcwAESU1qdsh8vo2_500.gif

korra+vaatu+opening.jpg

That's Studio Mir for ya. The action segments by Studio Pierrot still looked good but man did it look stilted in the normal scenes with some wonky faces at times. Poor general Iroh.

Hamlet

Always loved the Chi Blockers from Book 1.
tumblr_mlrl4nXKNI1rvb20so1_500.gif

This is like the 7th time I've been avatar quoted....DAMMIT

Though I must say I think I'm developing stockholm syndrome...starting to like the avatar lol.

Also,

blaAY.gif

I love book one.

Ha maybe I should have given Azula another image instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom