• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

Reminds me of the fucking Fox gave The Sarah Connor Chronicles...
Didn't ever watch them, but I feel with you. My condolences.

Another show where being moved to Friday killed it ratings wise. Though I will give it to Fox for sticking with Fringe for so long despite how low it's rating got.
Most of this is not even because financial stuff, this is just executive meddling. I don't know about Fox, but in the case of Cartoon Network, the executives get jealous of anything that isn't directly produced by them and does very well, so they kill it so people would look at their favorites again.

Chariot

I thought it was Chariot who posted it?
No way I would jeopardize the show in any way.

j2C7f2IqfadvF.jpg

Astral Dog

Arbitrary shifting timeslots, half a year and other random breaks within a season, delays, lack of advertisment, withholding toy sales, limit toys with female characters; it was pretty clear that they wanted the series dead. I think Green Lantern was better treated, but just killed with YJ, just because.
Darkseid always wants the Anti-Life Equation. I guess Vandal Savage could know something due his age or at least have an idea what to do. His motive was after all to strengthen humanity and bring it to intergalactic standards as a feared force. So I guess the deal looks like Savage helps Darkseid to find or conquer the Anti-Life Equation and Darkseid leaves Earth as a partner. I am not sure about Darkseids age, but Savage is much older than him, isn't he?

, I really dont know much of VS outside of the film and Justice League,i could only find their ages as Darkseid like 250,000 years old and Vandal Savage 52,000, but, they are likely wrong :p.one was always going to betray the other,but, considering how the ligth acts as the villains on YJ, i would had liked if they remain that way and got the upper hand against Darkseid somehow, mostly because i have seen enough Darkseid recently, but we will never know anyways

Chariot

If you want pre Cersei Lena Heady and Summer Glau I recommend it. It's pretty good.
Isn't Summer Glau the woman that somehow manages to end shows by mere appearing in them? :D
Well, I will see if Netflix got that and try to look into it, if you recommend it.
, I really dont know much of VS outside of the film and Justice League,i could only find their ages as Darkseid like 250,000 years old and Vandal Savage 52,000, but, they are likely wrong.
Vandal Savage is a caveman who was struck by a meteor and was immortal from there. He literally can't die, won't ever get tired or old and lived through all ages of human history. Thus he has a vast knowledge about a lot of things and a lot of contacts on the whole world. In some interpretations he is even the biblical Cain.

Hamlet

I didn't care about Fringe though. SCC had one of the smartest plots and hottest female casts on tv.
Yeah it's a same it went too soon. But you should definitely give fringe a try. It starts a tad slow but from season 2-3 it is just pure scifi bliss and trust me you'll fall in love with Walter.

Didn't ever watch them, but I feel with you. My condolences.

Most of this is not even because financial stuff, this is just executive meddling. I don't know about Fox, but in the case of Cartoon Network, the executives get jealous of anything that isn't directly produced by them and does very well, so they kill it so people would look at their favorites again.

No arguing with the that. The executives acted like angry children over the whole DC debacle.

Hamlet

Isn't Summer Glau the woman that somehow manages to end shows by mere appearing in them? :D
Well, I will see if Netflix got that and try to look into it, if you recommend it.

Haha yep she doesn't have the best of luck when picking shows. Arrow is still going strong though at least.

I had no clue Glau was cursed like that...damn. I guess anybody that's worked with Whedon has bit of a "touch of death" to them. It was a fun show. The only dumb part is how they're trying to take out Terminators with small caliber firearms...oh yeah Garret Dilahunt is in this, he's nice and creepy in it.

I think that curse broke with Arrow.

Not if she comes back. And she probably will. Then it'll get cancelled right after. She carries the curse.

Although to be fair she did show up in Angel Season 3. It was one episode in a very minor capacity. And that show wasn't cancelled until Season 5.

I think that's being a bit unfair. They most definitely had to cut and scrimp on the remaining episodes after Remembrances (Kai and Jinora have no lines for one). I'd rather have the ending we have now, than one without Korrasami.

I won't argue that the show didn't have some big issues. I won't argue that Bryke knew what they were doing all of the time. I won't even argue that I even really cared about most of the characters (honestly, outside of Korra, Asami, Tenzin, and Bolin I really didn't care).

I will argue that for what we got, what we were able to get after Nick exsanguinated the series, was the best possible ending. When shows like ATLA and Korra are looked back on they will be remembered for certain things, I am ecstatic that Korra will be remembered for Korrasami. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen on TV or in film. They made me feel so deeply for those two, seeing them actually win and be happy at the end was so incredible. I've never felt this way about a story before.

Nah, I still think that the ending was extremely poorly written. Hell, the last page outlines ways they could have changed the order of the series to make it far better. Even if you look at this season in a vacuum, I think it was poorly done. So much so that the Korrasami ending genuinely feels like key dangling. You're entitled to your opinion and all, but if you think that was the most beautiful thing you've ever seen on TV or film I'd argue you need to watch more TV or film :p

Mononoke

Banned
I think that's being a bit unfair. They most definitely had to cut and scrimp on the remaining episodes after Remembrances (Kai and Jinora have no lines for one). I'd rather have the ending we have now, than one without Korrasami.

I won't argue that the show didn't have some big issues. I won't argue that Bryke knew what they were doing all of the time. I won't even argue that I even really cared about most of the characters (honestly, outside of Korra, Asami, Tenzin, and Bolin I really didn't care).

I will argue that for what we got, what we were able to get after Nick exsanguinated the series, was the best possible ending. When shows like ATLA and Korra are looked back on they will be remembered for certain things, I am ecstatic that Korra will be remembered for Korrasami. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen on TV or in film. They made me feel so deeply for those two, seeing them actually win and be happy at the end was so incredible. I've never felt this way about a story before.

Yeah but this all depends on you feeling something for Korrasami. Put into context that they really were a side relationship only barely introduced in Book 3 (and even that was a light introduction at best). Book 4 they spent barely any time together. Honestly as much as I love them as a couple and think they have chemistry, I don't understand why they are the end itself. You know? When they were so little in the grand scheme of the plot.

So if you werre a fan not as invested in them (which is understandable as they weren't a major focus), that ending would feel lackluster. I just think the fact that it depends so heavily on you caring about them, is a major flaw.

EDIT: To be clear, if you enjoy the ending, that's amazing. I was just saying, I think the ending really was dependent on whether you invested in that relationship (to a degree). I think those that really loved both of these characters and wanted them to be happy, obviously that ending meant more then anything to that viewer.

Personally, I was more interested in the main themes of the show, the mythology. I was interested in Korra's personal character arcs.

Chariot

I think that curse broke with Arrow.

Haha yep she doesn't have the best of luck when picking shows. Arrow is still going strong though at least.
Well, lets hope so.
Although I would argue that she took the coherent plot with her when she left. The recent season feels so aimless.

Wait--what?

That's some photoshop talent.
lol I wish. I can't even use photoshop. I use paint.net with the simplest methods. Here, the .pdn-file with the layers. It looks pretty good, but it's just simple adding stuff to the original picture and photographing my monitor. That makes it not only look "realer", but hides mistakes that would be obvious otherwise :D

Basically, I think everyone's complaint amounts to the same: If your romantic relationship arc doesn't actually get focused screen time, making it a big part of the ending is a bad idea. Plain and simple. Still, I don't think it was that poorly done, considering the circumstances. If the middle part of Remembrances had focused on Korra and Asami's relationship throughout the years as opposed to Korra's impact on the world (something we already went through), the Korrasami bit would have carried pretty well. At least enough weight for the ending to have legitimate impact, as opposed to "here ya go!".

I feel like I've said this a shitload. Yay, circles!

Toa TAK

Banned
lol I wish. I can't even use photoshop. I use paint.net with the simplest methods. Here, the .pdn-file with the layers. It looks pretty good, but it's just simple adding stuff to the original picture and photographing my monitor. That makes it not only look "realer", but hides mistakes that would be obvious otherwise :D

That's amazing. I need to get reacquainted with Paint.Net myself.

You can put anything on your TV with this technology.

Why are so many people being so dickish about Korrasami? I go on tumblr and there are still all these posts like "Yea Korrasami just happened and you can fuckin deal with it." Hot damn, I am dealing with it, you could even say I'm happy about it, chill out.

Why are so many people being so dickish about Korrasami? I go on tumblr and there are still all these posts like "Yea Korrasami just happened and you can fuckin deal with it." Hot damn, I am dealing with it, you could even say I'm happy about it, chill out.

It's just one of those things, I guess. To be fair, it's something that's come under pretty heavy criticism

jediyoshi

Look up any other korra ship or deniability standpoint and your answer will be solved.

Nah, I still think that the ending was extremely poorly written. Hell, the last page outlines ways they could have changed the order of the series to make it far better. Even if you look at this season in a vacuum, I think it was poorly done. So much so that the Korrasami ending genuinely feels like key dangling. You're entitled to your opinion and all, but if you think that was the most beautiful thing you've ever seen on TV or film I'd argue you need to watch more TV or film :p
I won't pretend I know how making an animated TV show works, I won't pretend I know that they could have done this or that better. I will stand by with what we were given and what we were told.

I have a very picky palette for TV and films. Character dramas don't do anything for me if they aren't sci-fi, fantasy, or historical. Sometimes even then depending on how the world is constructed I won't care, Game of Thrones for example. I can get excited about TV shows and movies, but it takes a lot for something to emotionally connect with me.

I've got no emotional investment in Flash and Arrow, despite really liking the shows. Yet, the ending of Red Dead Redemption hit me like a ton of bricks or when in Dragon Age: Inquisition (Here Lies the Abyss spoilers)
I had to choose between my Hawke and Alistair and I ended up killing my Hawke. Seeing how Varric reacted and how he talked about needing to write letters and let Isabella know, it broke my heart.

Those are rare occurrences for me. When a piece of media manages to touch me in some way, it leaves a permanent mark in my memories.
Yeah but this all depends on you feeling something for Korrasami. Put into context that they really were a side relationship only barely introduced in Book 3 (and even that was a light introduction at best). Book 4 they spent barely any time together. Honestly as much as I love them as a couple and think they have chemistry, I don't understand why they are the end itself. You know? When they were so little in the grand scheme of the plot.

So if you werre a fan not as invested in them (which is understandable as they weren't a major focus), that ending would feel lackluster. I just think the fact that it depends so heavily on you caring about them, is a major flaw.

I never shipped, I never even noticed the hints, I thought they were just friends. Then the ending comes and it flips a switch in my brain and my heart. I think they are the end in itself the same way that Aang and Katara were the end of ATLA in itself. The story was fundamentally about the Avatar, everyone else was secondary to them. Having the shows end with the Avatar finding themselves and finding their happiness is completely valid to me.

Hamlet

tumblr_nh2axa8DMI1tpgf4vo1_500.jpg

tumblr_nh2axa8DMI1tpgf4vo2_500.jpg

tumblr_nh2axa8DMI1tpgf4vo3_500.jpg

Well, lets hope so.
Although I would argue that she took the coherent plot with her when she left. The recent season feels so aimless.
Ah that's a shame to hear still gotta catch up on Arrow.

Don't go looking at the IGN comments. It's toxic there.

Mr Buddy

So the complete series of Korra is 50$ on Xbox One today. Do you guys think it's worth it to get them all? I've enjoyed the seasons (3 GOAT), but I'm just looking for a second opinion first. Apologies if already brought up :S

Mononoke

Banned

Well for a bunch of reasons.

I. It wasn't well written.

II. It shouldn't have been the ending (it wasn't earned).

III. It's dominating the entire discussion of the show, completely obscuring the rest (which is problematic, because some think the finale had some serious writing issues, and the series as a whole had some issues. But Korrasami is pretty much defining everything. It also plays into this idea that, in the end nothing mattered. Korrasami pretty much makes everything okay.

IV. Anti-gay people? (You know there are definitely some of them out there who are probably furious their favorite show ended with a gay relationship).

Keep in mind, I'm saying the above are things that SOME may think. They are not FACTS. I'm just saying these are probably reasons why some people are being dicks.

That said, I don't think anyone should ever be a dick to someone else. If someone enjoys something, let them enjoy it. You don't have to be an asshole and make them feel bad for it. I just think emotions are high, since some people feel very let down about how the series ended. And they are really really frustrated by the fact that, so much focus is on Korrasami.

Toa TAK

Banned
Despite Korrasami not being earned and written really poorly, I'm still glad it happened. I know I never really shipped it seriously, and just thought it would be funny though I didn't think it would EVER happen (especially if you look through my posts in the OT, plus I credit this video for my favoring of the ship), but now that it's here and I see the positive effects of it, it's great. I'm glad it happened for the people who need this (whether they think they do or not), and I'll give Bryke that much at the VERY least for putting it out there even though Kuvira was mangled and I'll never forgive them.

Well for a bunch of reasons.

I. It wasn't well written.

II. It shouldn't have been the ending (it wasn't earned).

III. It's dominating the entire discussion of the show, completely obscuring the rest (which is problematic, because some think the finale had some serious writing issues, and the series as a whole had some issues. But Korrasami is pretty much defining everything. It also plays into this idea that, in the end nothing mattered. Korrasami pretty much makes everything okay.

IV. Anti-gay people? (You know there are definitely some of them out there who are probably furious their favorite show ended with a gay relationship).

Keep in mind, I'm saying the above are things that SOME may think. They are not FACTS. I'm just saying these are probably reasons why some people are being dicks.

That said, I don't think anyone should ever be a dick to someone else. If someone enjoys something, let them enjoy it. You don't have to be an asshole and make them feel bad for it. I just think emotions are high, since some people feel very let down about how the series ended. And they are really really frustrated by the fact that, so much focus is on Korrasami.

Like, not to say the other things you've said aren't valid, but that's the primary reason. Kind of irritated about this. Like, I think there are some pretty solid things to talk about, but it always comes back to Korrasami. The same points are reiterated every time, too. No opinion has changed at all.

360pages

Man, Rewatching Dragon Ball reminds me of fun [Not Z, the first series] simple and not too complex, but it doesn't have to be. Just telling a fun story is enough for me.

Mononoke

Banned
Despite Korrasami not being earned and written really poorly, I'm still glad it happened. I know I never really shipped it seriously, and just thought it would be funny though I didn't think it would EVER happen (especially if you look through my posts in the OT, plus I credit this video for my favoring of the ship), but now that it's here and I see the positive effects of it, it's great. I'm glad it happened for the people who need this (whether they think they do or not).

Well I'm glad because:

I. I shipped it back during Book 2.

II. It has a very positive impact on LGBT representation in the media (which is seriously needed).

III. It does end with Asami and Korra both being happy (and well, Asami definitely deserved some happiness).

IV. Despite the relationship being poorly written IMO, I think they actually had the most chemistry out of any of the romances. I also think their relationship felt more normal and organic. So it made their feelings (even if subtle or not overt) at the end, feel a lot more real to me.

So yeah, I definitely have some major criticisms. Of course. But I still love Korrasami. I think my only gripe is, I'm kind of tired of how much it's dominated the discussion of the show. And I think it's Bryke's fault for making it the end, when it shouldn't have been the end. As a fan of the overall show, I feel so let down in many ways of what they did with the ending. But I'm torn, because I loved the Korrasami scene.

I guess that is TLOK in a nutshell (intense love for it, but also massive disappointment. The conflicted nature of the TLOK fan. :p )

Toa TAK

Banned
Well I'm glad because:

I. I shipped it back during Book 2.

II. It has a very positive impact on LGBT representation in the media (which is seriously needed).

III. It does end with Asami and Korra both being happy (and well, Asami definitely deserved some happiness).

IV. Despite the relationship being poorly written IMO, I think they actually had the most chemistry out of any of the romances. I also think their relationship felt more normal and organic. So it made their feelings (even if subtle or not overt) at the end, feel a lot more real to me.

So yeah, I definitely have some major criticisms. Of course. But I still love Korrasami. I think my only gripe is, I'm kind of tired of how much it's dominated the discussion of the show. And I think it's Bryke's fault for making it the end, when it shouldn't have been the end. As a fan of the overall show, I feel so let down in many ways of what they did with the ending. But I'm torn, because I loved the Korrasami scene.

I guess that is TLOK in a nutshell (intense love for it, but also massive disappointment. The conflicted nature of the TLOK fan. :p )
I like to think a large majority of the fanbase is pretty pleased with Korrasami, but yeah, you're right. Being a TLOK fan sucks because there's so much to love and so much to be disappointed by.

Gimmie the soundtrack Nick so I can move on with life.

I think that a lot of it is a reaction to the criticism that it wasn't valid, or it shouldn't have happened, from people who find agency in Korrasami. It isn't every day that the main character of whats considered a children's cartoon is a woman, not white, and LGBT (actually, Korra is the first open and confirmed on-screen LGBT character in children's TV). So when LGBT finally get some representation and that representation gets attacked, naturally they'd also react with anger.

I'm not LGBT, I don't find agency in Korrasami. It just touched my heart. There are some issues with how it was written and led up to. But I don't have an issue with it being the end.

Hamlet

So the complete series of Korra is 50$ on Xbox One today. Do you guys think it's worth it to get them all? I've enjoyed the seasons (3 GOAT), but I'm just looking for a second opinion first. Apologies if already brought up :S

Go for it if you really enjoyed them and it seems like a ok price. Not sure how the video quality is on Xbox though.
The Blu-rays are on sale at Amazon also.
Book 1
Book 2
Book 3

I've bought them as they've come out. Blu-ray releases only. It's been worth it for me. Besides, shit looks gorgeous in HD.

Astral Dog

Vandal Savage is a caveman who was struck by a meteor and was immortal from there. He literally can't die, won't ever get tired or old and lived through all ages of human history. Thus he has a vast knowledge about a lot of things and a lot of contacts on the whole world. In some interpretations he is even the biblical Cain.

i will rant now, but why Young Justice had to die? I thought it had good ratings, but they cancelled it because it was popular among adolescents instead of young kids, why not just keep it as a way of showing good faith instead of cancel it before the final season? keep it to attract a more diverse audience.

Isnt there a market for action cartoons for adolescents/young adults too? its always comedy or for young kids, thats all they want.

Unless they were losing money, then it makes sense.

DedValve

Banned
I would be pissed by that terrible contrived back plot and her surrendering. Even the most ardent Kuvira fan would be insulted by that.

"I get what I want"

"What do you want exactly?"

"....ok you got me. I surrender. Let me tell you about my mother OR LACK THEROF."

Sou Da

Oh yeah, wasn't Richie gay?

Long story short: Richie in the show was gay, Mcduffie worked it in by having him overcompensate ex. Richie and go on and on about how hot he thought a girl was while Static would roll eyes in the background. In the comics the show was based there was a huge arc called "What little boys are made of" where the neighborhood finds out he's gay and has boyfriend and Static has to deal with his inner homophobia.

Great arc, great commentary about homophobia in the black community.

Toa TAK

Banned

I just wanted to say that final panel had me going. Excellent post, Hamlet.
Long story short: Richie in the show was gay, Mcduffie worked it in by having him overcompensate ex. Richie and go on and on about how hot he thought a girl was while Static would roll eyes in the background. In the comics the show was based there was a huge arc called "What little boys are made of" where the neighborhood finds out he's gay and has boyfriend and Static has to deal with his inner homophobia.

Great arc, great commentary about homophobia in the black community.

Woah, what? That sounds really great. I remember loving Static Shock when I was younger, but that's really taking it to the next level. Good on McDuffie.

i will rant now, but why Young Justice had to die? I thought it had good ratings, but they cancelled it because it was popular among adolescents instead of young kids, why not just keep it as a way of showing good faith instead of cancel it before the final season? keep it to attract a more diverse audience.

Isnt there a market for action cartoons for adolescents/young adults too? its always comedy or for young kids, thats all they want.

Unless they were losing money, then it makes sense.

I believe Paul Dini spoke on this, and it basically went like this:

The show was equally as popular amongst pretty much all demographics, particularly girls. For some reason, CN didn't like that because it affected their toy line, which wasn't selling enough. I don't know HOW it affected the toys, but apparently it did.

That's why it was cancelled. I'd find a link to the interview but I'm too lazy.

DedValve

Banned
Oh yeah, wasn't Richie gay?

the white kid? ..wwhhhhhaaaaaaa
I always had a crush on him

On a more depressing note I spoke to my sisters yesterday during christmas dinner about Korrasami (one of my sisters and her sons LOVE the show) and I certainly was not expecting the reactions.

One of my brother in laws legit told me there where no more heterosexuals anymore because the bi's are taking everything =/

I mistakingly thought these where progressive people but they completely sidelined the discussion after a few ignorant and unsavory comments. One of my brother in laws even said kids these days...

I tried to sit down with my nephews (13 and 18 respectively) and tell them just how awesome Korrasami is (even if I have my own critiques against that relationship) so I hope that sticks.

I'm super conflicted on Korrasami though, on one hand it's awesome and really great for the medium to grow as a whole, on the other it felt half assed, forced (like all the other relationships) and we barely even got to see Korrasami which is a damn shame because those where the ONLY couple that actually had chemistry. Speaking of we barely got to see relationships period. Hilarious that we got to see more Opal/Bolin when they where broken up than when they where together.

On the other other hand that final scene was perfect. I really can't think of a better way for the show to end on except to go full and and give one final kiss but still, that final scene gave me the goosebumps.

It's just one of those things, I guess. To be fair, it's something that's come under pretty heavy criticism

The only criticism I've seen is about how it was poorly done, which it is. I've barely seen anyone opposed to the idea of the pairing at its core. And even then, acting like a dick about it towards no one in particular by just projecting outward towards everyone who's reading is a pretty negative way to handle it. Theyre just looking for fights acting like that.

I believe Paul Dini spoke on this, and it basically went like this:

The show was equally as popular amongst pretty much all demographics, particularly girls. For some reason, CN didn't like that because it affected their toy line, which wasn't selling enough. I don't know HOW it affected the toys, but apparently it did.

That's why it was cancelled. I'd find a link to the interview but I'm too lazy.
The show got fucked because of toy sales? Fuck these execs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom